[GUIDE] All about unlocking bootloader, TWRP and rooting Redmi Note 8/8T

Search This thread

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro

phase, it is because the second fastboot command (fastboot boot recovery.img) doesn't work. ....
I always use "fastboot boot recovery.img" after flashing twrp, without any problem.
I did this also with other Xiaomi phones too.
Why? Sometimes Volume up-Power will not work the first time.
If Miui boot up, twrp will be replaced and you can start over again.

I always use "fastboot boot recovery.img" after flashing twrp, without any problem.
I did this also with other Xiaomi phones too.
Why? Sometimes Volume up-Power will not work the first time.
If Miui boot up, twrp will be replaced and you can start over again.

whoopie for you. TWRP's website disagrees and Iooking into this I saw a number of guides saying "fastboot boot recovery.img" is not recommended from Android 9.0+. A couple even said it might still work on some xiaomi devices, but that doesn't negate the fact that doing volume up + power directly from fastboot works on ALL devices.

try holding the buttons down a little harder next time

darkkinder

Dec 28, 2011
Hi, after fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and fastboot boot recovery.img (both appears in cmd as OKAY and with the finished time) it doesn't reboot into TWRP, and when I reboot manually (volume up + power) the phone enters in MI-recovery. I tried with orangefox too, but same results

NEROVINCIO

Feb 7, 2012
I have the same problem with my RN8T, how can we fix it? I'm on willow european V12.0.3.0

Last edited:

Teguhpunya

Nov 25, 2015
t.me
Hi, after fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and fastboot boot recovery.img (both appears in cmd as OKAY and with the finished time) it doesn't reboot into TWRP, and when I reboot manually (volume up + power) the phone enters in MI-recovery. I tried with orangefox too, but same results
Do this:
1. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
2. Reboot manually by using volume up + power

If you accidentally boot into system when doing step 2, custom recovery will be replaced with stock recovery (enters MI-recovery).

fastboot boot recovery.img method is not working anymore.

Reactions: MadK9

zeratos

Oct 12, 2012
Hello, i already rooted a Redmi Note 8 with magisk but I cant write to system with Root Explorer or ADB, can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
Hello, i already rooted a Redmi Note 8 with magisk but I cant write to system with Root Explorer or ADB, can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
Were you asked to grant superuser rights to the root explorer app and did you grant it? Check here:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210606-121603_Trebuchet_1.png
    Screenshot_20210606-121603_Trebuchet_1.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210606-121630_Trebuchet_1.png
    Screenshot_20210606-121630_Trebuchet_1.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 10

zeratos

Oct 12, 2012
Were you asked to grant superuser rights to the root explorer app and did you grant it? Check here:
yeah, i also get a million red errors when i try to flash anything through any recovery and when i try to browse the files on the internal SD while on a recovery it only shows a lot of folders with gibberish like names

pnin

yeah, i also get a million red errors when i try to flash anything through any recovery and when i try to browse the files on the internal SD while on a recovery it only shows a lot of folders with gibberish like names

That usually means the phone is encrypted, something current custom recoveries have trouble dealing with.

My suggestion is you start again by going back to stock (flash fastboot ROM with MiFlash, taking care not to relock bootloader) and start again, not forgetting to flash DFE as the last thing (see https://xdaforums.com/posts/84801111 for detailed instructions).

Reactions: zeratos

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
That usually means the phone is encrypted, something current custom recoveries have trouble dealing with.

My suggestion is you start again by going back to stock (flash fastboot ROM with MiFlash, taking care not to relock bootloader) and start again, not forgetting to flash DFE as the last thing (see https://xdaforums.com/posts/84801111 for detailed instructions).
... and be sure to use a recovery able for your ROM. E. G. try latest TWRP from Mauronofrio twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img or that from geoanteo twrp-3.5.A9-ginkgo-geoanto555.img. The latter one allows you to manipulate "dangerous" parts of the phone, thus be careful with it...

Reactions: zeratos and pnin

zeratos

Oct 12, 2012
just tried that

* flashed a fastboot stock rom
* flashed orange fox
* flashed magisk
* flashed the disable zip
* stuck at MIUI logo

also tried

* flash fastboot stock rom
* boot to system
* everything works fine but the writting to system part
* flashed orange fox
* flashed magisk
* everything works but the writting to system part

Its worth noting that i got the red errors in recovery in both scenarios and formatting data does nothing but throw a million red errors and say "its done" at the end

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
just tried that

* flashed a fastboot stock rom
* flashed orange fox
* flashed magisk
* flashed the disable zip
* stuck at MIUI logo

also tried

* flash fastboot stock rom
* boot to system
* everything works fine but the writting to system part
* flashed orange fox
* flashed magisk
* everything works but the writting to system part

Its worth noting that i got the red errors in recovery in both scenarios and formatting data does nothing but throw a million red errors and say "its done" at the end

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
In my case formatting of /data was denied because of using a recovery not able to deal with the encryption. Thus i flashe a different recovery and it worked. See above some suggestions...

zeratos

Oct 12, 2012
In my case formatting of /data was denied because of using a recovery not able to deal with the encryption. Thus i flashe a different recovery and it worked. See above some suggestions...
already read and tried those, the twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img TWRP gives me the same million red errors, i was only able to format data with a TWRP linked here:

but now it says

unable to decrypt FBE device

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
already read and tried those, the twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img TWRP gives me the same million red errors, i was only able to format data with a TWRP linked here:

but now it says

unable to decrypt FBE device
If this is the only red warning then you are fine: you are NOT encrypted (e. g. because you flashed DFE) and therefore TWRP can't decrypt.

zeratos

Oct 12, 2012
If this is the only red warning then you are fine: you are NOT encrypted (e. g. because you flashed DFE) and therefore TWRP can't decrypt.
but I still cant write into /system, I need to make an app a system app and it wont let me, nor through adb nor through root explorer or any other file browser

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
but I still cant write into /system, I need to make an app a system app and it wont let me, nor through adb nor through root explorer or any other file browser
... seems you are not rooted. How did you flash magisk (and which version)? Do you see after reboot the magisk app? And what do you see if you tap the "shield" icon in the lower part of the magisk app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-133539_Trebuchet_1.png
    Screenshot_20210608-133539_Trebuchet_1.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 10
... seems you are not rooted. How did you flash magisk (and which version)? Do you see after reboot the magisk app? And what do you see if you tap the "shield" icon in the lower part of the magisk app.
Hmmm, I installed latest version of Magisk but the bottom bar is missing even after restart!
Went on and installed canary version of Magisk... same result! Buttons bottom bar is missing! Why?

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
Hmmm, I installed latest version of Magisk but the bottom bar is missing even after restart!
Went on and installed canary version of Magisk... same result! Buttons bottom bar is missing! Why?
Again: how did you install magisk? For RN8 I downloaded the magisk.apk file, manually renamed the extension from .apk to.zip. Then booted into the recovery and installed this renamed zip (Magisk-v23.0.zip) there. Then rebooted into the rom and magisk as well as the app-icon is there.

Again: how did you install magisk? For RN8 I downloaded the magisk.apk file, manually renamed the extension from .apk to.zip. Then booted into the recovery and installed this renamed zip (Magisk-v23.0.zip) there. Then rebooted into the rom and magisk as well as the app-icon is there.
Latest versions of Magisk are installed only by apk and not from recovery. I had root before 12.0.3 and Magisk installed by recovery way... since this last MIUI update, cannot install Magisk by recovery option and if I try to patch the boot file I get bootloop... So, no root for the moment. And since I do not want to install TWRP I guess I'll stay like this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns.
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

A guide to unlock bootloader, flash a custom recovery and root your Redmi Note 8/8T device :

1. UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER :

Backup your data first. Unlocking will erase your data.

- Enable Developer Options in your phone by tapping the "MIUI Version" 7 times in About Phone.
    - Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
    - Enable OEM Unlocking, USB Debugging and USB Debugging (Security Settings) .
    - Also add account in Mi Unlock Status (Can be found in Developer Options).
    - Install the required ADB and Fastboot drivers in your PC from here.
    - Download Mi Unlock to PC from here, and sign in with your Mi Account.
    - Shut down your phone manually, and hold volume down key and power button to enter Fastboot mode.
    - Connect your phone to PC using USB cable and click "Unlock" in Mi Unlock Tool.
    - You will be given a specific time (168 hours usually).
    - Wait for the given time. Make sure to use your phone and don't log out of your mi account from the phone or reset your device.
    - Once waiting time is over, redo Unlock process.
    - Your phone will be unlocked successfully. :)

2. FLASHING TWRP :

- Install the required ADB and Fastboot drivers in your PC if not already in step 1. from here.
    - Download TWRP from here.
    - Put that TWRP in the ADB and Fastboot installed folder (mostly C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
    - Rename that recovery(TWRP file) to "recovery" for convenience (optional).
    - Click on Start Menu, type cmd
    - Right click and select Run as administrator
    - Then type:

Code:
    cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot

- Now Connect your phone to PC With USB Debugging on (keep phone on).
    - Type:

Code:
    adb devices

and accept the pop up on phone's screen.
    - Now reboot your phone to Fastboot mode either manually by shutting down phone and then holding volume down key and power button or by:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

- Once in Fastboot mode type:

Code:
    fastboot devices

- Your device ID will be visible on Screen.
    - Then type(hit ENTER after each line):

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot boot recovery.img

- Now your phone will boot into TWRP.
    OPTIONAL STEPS (Not Recommended): Encryption is always recommended for better security. However if you don't want encryption in your device, follow these steps. Again, not recommended.
    - In TWRP go to Wipe and select Format Data(don't go to advanced). Type yes and format data. [This process will format all your data so make sure your data is backed up]
    - Go back to TWRP home and Reboot > Recovery.(Don't reboot system or else you will have to repeat whole process again).
    - Done :)

3. ROOTING :

- Download Magisk zip to PC from here.
    - Download Universal DM-Verity and ForceEncrypt disabler from here. (Only required if you followed optional steps.)
    - When in TWRP transfer the file(s) to phone and go to Install.
    - Here select Magisk zip file and swipe to flash.
    - Then select Universal DM-Verity and ForceEncrypt disabler zip and swipe to flash(Make sure to flash this at last or else phone won't boot). (Only required if you followed optional steps.)
    - Reboot system.
    - Done. Debloat. Enjoy :)

Links
    1. Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    2. MI Unlock Tool
    3. TWRP
    4. Magisk
    5. Universal DM-Verity and ForceEncrypt Disabler (OPTIONAL)

If this helped you then hit the Thanks Button. Good Luck. :)
    Thanks for guide. Anyway, latest versions of Windows 10 don't have "Open command prompt here" option. Instead, they have PowerShell. I don't know how PowerShell will react with ADB, so, for these Windows 10 is better to:

1. Click on Start Menu, type cmd
    2. Right click with mouse and choose "Run as administrator"
    3. Type these commands (hit ENTER after each line):
    4. cd\
    5. cd "program files (x86)
    6. cd "minimal adb and fastboot"

Now the user is on right folder.

--------------------------------

A question: I'm on stock ROM and have a Google Apps account on my phone, and I'm currently using stock Second Space feature to handle it. As encryption is mandatory to use a Google Apps account, I can't use "disable encryption". Or will Second Space be encrypted even if "main account" isn't? There are any problems to use Magisk with encrypted phone?
    Dear OP, thanks again for your very helpful guide! Since meanwhile something changed with magisk installation procedure (as far as I understood no longer recommended or even working by flashing from the recovery) I would be very glad if you could update this section (especially for use of A11 custom ROMs). Thanks in advance if you will find the time for doing so.
    Hi, thanks for the information. I'll look into it and update as needed. :)

i got these error messages.
    after reboot twrp is still there, it is not replaced by the original recovery
    magisk is installed and root is ok
    factory reset not working (from settings or from twrp)

miui 12.0.3

can you help me understand what's wrong?
    Try this once :
    Twrp > mount > unmount(untick) data
    now go to wipe > format data (don't go to advanced) > type yes > reboot

make sure all your precious data is copied in sd card or pc as this process will format whole internal storage of your device.
    Do it again but this time, after flashing your custom recovery, REBOOT YOUR DEVICE TO RECOVERY FIRST, NOT IN ANDROID!!! Only after this you should reboot normally.
    This is the secret
    Why do you say to back the phone up before starting the Unlock. How is one supposed to accomplish that without TWRP or why even? I guess I will go right into flashing a custom rom (which one would you suggest?) or stock (never!) after it's rooted, so I don't understand what I would be saving?
    I see that your question has been answered very accurately already and I don't think it needs any further explanation..about the backing up data part I meant to backup your internal storage. Since you have to wait for about a week to unlock so few users might start using it as a daily device for that time with all their photos,videos and apps and stuff, so basically just copy all your necessary stuff from internal to PC as unlocking will format your internal storage. About custom rom suggestions I'm myself using EU weekly lol..aosp based roms are starting to gain speed in development but I'm still waiting for a few more stable builds to be released :)

Managed to work it out:

1. Install TWRP via fastboot, don't bother with vbmeta.img.

2. Wipe all except internal storage and then install PE zip.

3. Format data then reboot to fresh pixel experience install.

4. Set up and check encryption is enabled then reboot to TWRP.

5. Install magisk 20.3 zip, check it says encryption and DM Verity is enabled in the log of that install (will be during the flash process)

6. Boot to pixel experience and open the magisk manager APK, check safety net test and if failed then install safety net v3 patch from repositories and reboot.

7. Enjoy and job done!

Hope that can help somebody in future.

Cheers!
    Glad you've figured it out. Format data=decryption. After flashing fastboot rom, boot till android setup and then in twrp wipe all and flash custom rom,magisk,gapps whatever you want and reboot..do not format data in any step. I also updated the post for users who want to stay encrypted. :)

Is it possible to unlock the bootloader without mi account?
    I mean without letting mi know that u r unlocking "this" specific device...
    nope unfortunately to unlock your device you need to login to your mi account in your phone and then wait for the specified time..But you can lock it any time you want by flashing fastboot rom via mi flash and selecting "clean_all_and_lock" or just use
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    to lock the bootloader of your device :)