[GUIDE] An easy way to convert .PNG to .raw565 for custom boot image [Windows]

Search This thread

SpartusTana

Feb 9, 2009
St. Paul
So today I really wanted to make a custom boot image for my phone. I looked on the wiki, lo and behold, the piece seems to have a complex side to it for some. Maybe it's easy for some, but difficult for others. Well, I was one that had difficulty.

I don't have a linux setup, so I attempted to use a Virtual Machine to run it. SUCCESS!!!...but wait...ImageMagick is being a pain. (I swear to god I have never been so frustrated in my life) I spent hours trying to get it to work, but failed in the end. So I researched new ways of converting my PNG into a .raw and then a .raw565/.rgb565. I searched the forums, tediously, but to no avail. Well I found something that all windows users can look forward to. It's a very simple 1 step conversion of a PNG to a rgb565/raw565 file.

For those who are interested, here are the steps:

Things you'll need:
Paint.net (a simple image editing program) Download here
rgb565.dll (can be found on the same website, i'd suggest getting the self extractor) Download here
Fastboot (you can get this with the Android SDK) Download here (setup can be found in the wiki or in places around the forum)

Steps:

1. First you want to create your picture. It must be 320x480 resolution, and saved as a .PNG file. (Use your favorite picture editing tool. Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net, etc.) Name the picture Splash

2. Once you have your PNG picture made and in the correct resolution, load your picture in Paint.Net.

3. After the picture is loaded, go to File --> Save as.... Name your picture Splash and change the file type to rgb565/raw565 and save to your desktop.

4. Find your picture on your desktop, right click it and click Properties. IMPORTANT!!! Make sure the picture file size is 307200 bytes exactly. (If it is not, you could end up damaging your phone, so DOUBLE CHECK).

5. Make sure you have the Android SDK set up with the latest USB drivers.

6. Put your picture into the same folder as your fastboot. (android-sdk-windows --> tools).

7. Once you reach this step, connect your phone through USB, and load your SPL. (Turn off phone. Hold the camera button + power button). Ensure the text on screen says Fastboot. If it doesn't, push the Back button to refresh it.

8. After your phone is connected and ready to use fastboot, Open your command prompt (cmd. Start --> run --> cmd). Type fastboot devices. Make sure your device number appears there. This will tell you if your computer is reading that your phone is connected to fastboot.

9. Make sure the path the command prompt is going to, is your SDK/tools folder. (cd android-sdk-windows --> cd tools).

10. Once your command line is aimed at the SDK tools folder (This is the location of your picture remember?), type the following:

fastboot flash splash1 Splash.rgb565 (if it's raw565 type that. the extension wont matter as long as it's the right format.)
fastboot reboot

NOTE:
If your fastboot hangs while trying to put the new boot image on, remove the battery, and reload the phone's fastboot and try again. (this happened to me, and after doing this it worked)

Well there you have it. After completing these steps your new boot image should appear. I hope this helped the windows users out there (I know after figuring this out, it helped me a lot.)

If there are any Questions, please post them, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thank you and Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ragnarokmk2

tehseano

Jan 23, 2009
You do realize there is a convert to g1 program, that allows you to select your picture, and then to convert it, all with just 3 clicks of the mouse....so your method is pointless lol.

SpartusTana

Feb 9, 2009
St. Paul
Fair enough on the little program that's available. Didn't realize the 3000 thing could convert.

Also my method isn't pointless. It is an accurate and usable method.
What you deem as better or worse, does not make it absolute.
If others choose to use this or the program, both options are there for people to choose.
I can't say I appreciate your prudish viewpoint, but thanks for the heads up...

Last edited:

tehseano

Jan 23, 2009
Ok, let me rephrase it. There is the easy way (with the program that everyone has been using for a while) and the hard way (your drawn out method).

SpartusTana

Feb 9, 2009
St. Paul
Ok, let me rephrase it. There is the easy way (with the program that everyone has been using for a while) and the hard way (your drawn out method).

lol your blunt smugness is humorous to me for some reason.

is this program in the forums? I guess that was the link I was referring to.
See, in my OP, I stated that I searched a lot of places in the forums looking for a method, and didn't find one. So can't blame me for trying to help after finding a method that isn't pre-programmed. I was certainly proud of myself >.>;

tehseano

Jan 23, 2009
Yes, blunt smugness, because you reinvented the wheel, and did a worse job. Had you searched correctly you would have found the link that Jag posted above. So as much as you would like to sound like you're some god, laughing at my impotence, you complained about people not reading your thread and giving feedback. Why? Oh yeah, you were trying to teach people a longer way of going about a simple task.

Anyways, now you know about it, and I'll leave you back to your post. Enjoy!

SpartusTana

Feb 9, 2009
St. Paul
Yes, blunt smugness, because you reinvented the wheel, and did a worse job. Had you searched correctly you would have found the link that Jag posted above. So as much as you would like to sound like you're some god, laughing at my impotence, you complained about people not reading your thread and giving feedback. Why? Oh yeah, you were trying to teach people a longer way of going about a simple task.

Anyways, now you know about it, and I'll leave you back to your post. Enjoy!

Well I'm sorry you feel that way. In my post about the no replies, I stated that I was worried because there were so many views and no comments. It wasn't a complaint. Your angry criticism is only making this worse. Had you acted more mature in the matter, rather then trying to tell me off because you let your own bias rule you, it probably wouldn't have gotten to this point making you so upset.

I personally find you hilarious. You get so worked up over such a trivial matter. Let it rest, you made your statement.

IF AN ADMIN WOULD, COULD MY THREAD PLEASE BE LOCKED? It seems it is a useless thread and has only brought complaints. My apologies to those that feel...angry. I pity you.

tehseano

Jan 23, 2009
Well I'm sorry you feel that way. In my post about the no replies, I stated that I was worried because there were so many views and no comments. It wasn't a complaint. Your angry criticism is only making this worse. Had you acted more mature in the matter, rather then trying to tell me off because you let your own bias rule you, it probably wouldn't have gotten to this point making you so upset.

I personally find you hilarious. You get so worked up over such a trivial matter. Let it rest, you made your statement.

IF AN ADMIN WOULD, COULD MY THREAD PLEASE BE LOCKED? It seems it is a useless thread and has only brought complaints. My apologies to those that feel...angry. I pity you.
Upset? I'm laughing at you trying to sound intelligent :). I'm not sure how me cluing you in on what everyone else already knew in immature, but hey, if it helps you sleep through the night, who am I to say....

jeremykoeh

Oct 11, 2009
Staten Island, New York
You do realize there is a convert to g1 program, that allows you to select your picture, and then to convert it, all with just 3 clicks of the mouse....so your method is pointless lol.

True, but the three other tutorials for that all have included the outdated "fastboot.exe" that doesnt work with the new drivers... and it took me while to figure that out, [noob syndrome] because they all only had instructions on how to work with the files they provided, for older drivers.
I may put together a tutorial including the easy picture conversion of the other tutorials and this version of the easy flashing of the new splash using the SDK tools you already have.:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So today I really wanted to make a custom boot image for my phone. I looked on the wiki, lo and behold, the piece seems to have a complex side to it for some. Maybe it's easy for some, but difficult for others. Well, I was one that had difficulty.

I don't have a linux setup, so I attempted to use a Virtual Machine to run it. SUCCESS!!!...but wait...ImageMagick is being a pain. (I swear to god I have never been so frustrated in my life) I spent hours trying to get it to work, but failed in the end. So I researched new ways of converting my PNG into a .raw and then a .raw565/.rgb565. I searched the forums, tediously, but to no avail. Well I found something that all windows users can look forward to. It's a very simple 1 step conversion of a PNG to a rgb565/raw565 file.

For those who are interested, here are the steps:

Things you'll need:
    Paint.net (a simple image editing program) Download here
    rgb565.dll (can be found on the same website, i'd suggest getting the self extractor) Download here
    Fastboot (you can get this with the Android SDK) Download here (setup can be found in the wiki or in places around the forum)

Steps:

1. First you want to create your picture. It must be 320x480 resolution, and saved as a .PNG file. (Use your favorite picture editing tool. Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net, etc.) Name the picture Splash

2. Once you have your PNG picture made and in the correct resolution, load your picture in Paint.Net.

3. After the picture is loaded, go to File --> Save as.... Name your picture Splash and change the file type to rgb565/raw565 and save to your desktop.

4. Find your picture on your desktop, right click it and click Properties. IMPORTANT!!! Make sure the picture file size is 307200 bytes exactly. (If it is not, you could end up damaging your phone, so DOUBLE CHECK).

5. Make sure you have the Android SDK set up with the latest USB drivers.

6. Put your picture into the same folder as your fastboot. (android-sdk-windows --> tools).

7. Once you reach this step, connect your phone through USB, and load your SPL. (Turn off phone. Hold the camera button + power button). Ensure the text on screen says Fastboot. If it doesn't, push the Back button to refresh it.

8. After your phone is connected and ready to use fastboot, Open your command prompt (cmd. Start --> run --> cmd). Type fastboot devices. Make sure your device number appears there. This will tell you if your computer is reading that your phone is connected to fastboot.

9. Make sure the path the command prompt is going to, is your SDK/tools folder. (cd android-sdk-windows --> cd tools).

10. Once your command line is aimed at the SDK tools folder (This is the location of your picture remember?), type the following:

fastboot flash splash1 Splash.rgb565 (if it's raw565 type that. the extension wont matter as long as it's the right format.)
    fastboot reboot

NOTE:
    If your fastboot hangs while trying to put the new boot image on, remove the battery, and reload the phone's fastboot and try again. (this happened to me, and after doing this it worked)

Well there you have it. After completing these steps your new boot image should appear. I hope this helped the windows users out there (I know after figuring this out, it helped me a lot.)

If there are any Questions, please post them, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thank you and Enjoy.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone