[GUIDE] An updated guide about unlocking your redmi note 8 bootloader

Search This thread

sm-T116

Apr 28, 2018
Hello all,
I present to you my new and updated guide on unlocking your Redmi note 8 bootloader.

Warning: any changes you choose to make are your responsibility, I'm not to be held accountable of any damaged or bricked phones and dead SD cards, you choose to make modifications to your device and these modifications can brick you device.
For the last time if you don't know what you're doing I advise you to learn about bootloader unlocking .

That said, let's begin:
You might not know but Xiaomi doesn't require you to apply for unlocking you bootloader anymore which is why I'm making this guide.
On another note remember that this process will wipe all data from your phone
And be careful charge your battery to a sufficient degree (about 80%) to avoid you device shutting down in the middle of that process that would be a shame really and proceed step by step to insure that you haven't missed on anything
Ok, here we go:
1. Enable developer options
2. Enable "OEM unlocking" & "usb debugging"
3.Login in to your Xiaomi account from within your phone and make sure the account is linked to your phone (it is located in additional settings -> developer settings -> Mi unlock status (it should say added successfully)
4. Download the Xiaomi unlock tool to your computer: https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html
5 .Reboot your phone to fastboot mode ( by pressing volume + power ) on boot
6.Connect your phone to your PC and launch the Mi unlock tool (while in fastboot mode)
7. Login from within the app with your credentials
8.After that follow the instructions the program tells you
Remember this process is very long lasting it could take up to 720 hours to unlock the bootloader ! You can still use your phone in that period of time

For more info, here is the source I took all of is info from: https://c.mi.com/thread-1635834-1-1.html
If there is anything I missed or got wrong please feel free to correct me on anything regarding this procedure
Goodbye !

I successfully unlocked my device following the method above and it took me 6 days of waiting but it was worth it

Last edited:
Reactions: Technical

RAR1991

Dec 30, 2013

Remember this process is very long lasting it could take up too 720 hours to unlock the bootloader ! make sure you're not using your phone in that period of time

I don't think that is what they advise, you must be using your phone in a normal conditions since the 7 days waiting time is made to prevent bulk rebranding (localization changes)

Last edited:
Reactions: sm-T116

the_weird_aquarian

Nov 13, 2016
You might not know but Xiaomi doesn't require you to apply for unlocking you bootloader anymore which is why I'm making this guide.

Well the whole guide is....let's say misleading....but I won't blame you coz you read the source post on that mi community....actually you're still required to apply for permission to unlock bootloader...but....only if you have a new mi account...if you have an old mi account from which you already applied for permission once doesn't matter 2 years ago or 5 years ago, you won't be needing any more permission for that account...but for new accounts you still gotta apply for permission. :)

sm-T116

Apr 28, 2018
Well the whole guide is....let's say misleading....but I won't blame you coz you read the source post on that mi community....actually you're still required to apply for permission to unlock bootloader...but....only if you have a new mi account...if you have an old mi account from which you already applied for permission once doesn't matter 2 years ago or 5 years ago, you won't be needing any more permission for that account...but for new accounts you still gotta apply for permission. :)
Hello, thanks for your feedback, that said, with all the respect, I think you might be wrong because I've read in multiple sources that xiaomi doesn't require the unlocking permission anymore simply because their webiste doesn't display any info about unlock permission and it just prompts to log in to your xiaomi account and that's all.
However I've done some research and all I could find is articles which state that it's not required anymore.
Here is one of the sources I read: https://c.mi.com/thread-1857937-1-1.html
If you would please further clarify the process so that I could better understand.
Thank you !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,
    I present to you my new and updated guide on unlocking your Redmi note 8 bootloader.

Warning: any changes you choose to make are your responsibility, I'm not to be held accountable of any damaged or bricked phones and dead SD cards, you choose to make modifications to your device and these modifications can brick you device.
    For the last time if you don't know what you're doing I advise you to learn about bootloader unlocking .

That said, let's begin:
    On another note remember that this process will wipe all data from your phone
    And be careful charge your battery to a sufficient degree (about 80%) to avoid you device shutting down in the middle of that process that would be a shame really and proceed step by step to insure that you haven't missed on anything
    Ok, here we go:
    1. Enable developer options
    2. Enable "OEM unlocking" & "usb debugging"
    3.Login in to your Xiaomi account from within your phone and make sure the account is linked to your phone (it is located in additional settings -> developer settings -> Mi unlock status (it should say added successfully)
    4. Download the Xiaomi unlock tool to your computer: https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html
    5 .Reboot your phone to fastboot mode ( by pressing volume + power ) on boot
    6.Connect your phone to your PC and launch the Mi unlock tool (while in fastboot mode)
    7. Login from within the app with your credentials
    8.After that follow the instructions the program tells you
    Remember this process is very long lasting it could take up to 720 hours to unlock the bootloader ! You can still use your phone in that period of time

For more info, here is the source I took all of is info from: https://c.mi.com/thread-1635834-1-1.html
    If there is anything I missed or got wrong please feel free to correct me on anything regarding this procedure
    Goodbye !

I successfully unlocked my device following the method above and it took me 6 days of waiting but it was worth it

Remember this process is very long lasting it could take up too 720 hours to unlock the bootloader ! make sure you're not using your phone in that period of time

I don't think that is what they advise, you must be using your phone in a normal conditions since the 7 days waiting time is made to prevent bulk rebranding (localization changes)