• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Android 12 Update and Root **READ THE NOTES**

Search This thread
At this point, on Android 11, you can even apply Magisk patch during the build, and before the generation of vbmeta. So, when your rom is built, no Magisk flashing is required, which means, bootloader could be locked with custom key and you can have prerooted rom, which will pass all verifications.

I don't think Google cares about root. What it does care is that custom roms would fail Safetynet. That's why, they won't allow Magisk hide.
Whether or not Google cares about root isn't really relevant.

I did forget to mention something: This is only a problem that we have seen on a few devices, namely the Pixel 4a 5g and the Pixel 5 to name a couple. Android 12 has been released on the Pixel 3 and 4, and neither of those lines are dealing with this issue - they are able to patch and flash the boot image the same as always.

So if I'm wrong, what's your explanation for this issue that we are having on the Pixel 5? What's your solution? I'm not really interested in a custom build, but if you think you could come up with a method to easily patch /boot and /vbmeta in such a way that we will never run into this problem again, I think there's more than a few people who would be itching to try.

Reactions: ipdev

optimumpro

Jan 18, 2013

I did forget to mention something: This is only a problem that we have seen on a few devices, namely the Pixel 4a 5g and the Pixel 5 to name a couple. Android 12 has been released on the Pixel 3 and 4, and neither of those lines are dealing with this issue - they are able to patch and flash the boot image the same as always.

So if I'm wrong, what's your explanation for this issue that we are having on the Pixel 5? What's your solution? I'm not really interested in a custom build, but if you think you could come up with a method to easily patch /boot and /vbmeta in such a way that we will never run into this problem again, I think there's more than a few people who would be itching to try.
Well, it is relevant whether Google cares about things or not especially if you are only interested in stock, as there is a lot less you can do there.

It's the bootloader stupid. Apparently Android 12 bootloader requires AVB-2 and verity in orange state.

The reason it happens on newer Pixels only has to do with the Android version these devices came out originally. Devices that didn't come with Android 11 originally have legacy bootloaders. Such devices were converted to Android 11 with their bootloaders still backward compatible with Android 9. Pixels 4/5 probably came out with Android 11, so, they are only compatible with Android 10.

Anyway, the only thing you can do is try to extract Android 11 bootloader from stock and flash it on your device that has Android 12.

It works on Oneplus 6/6T, which were recently updated to stock Android 11. That update broke TWRP, However, when you flash Android 10 bootloader on stock Android 11, all problems disappear.

Reactions: AndDiSa
Well, it is relevant whether Google cares about things or not especially if you are only interested in stock, as there is a lot less you can do there.

It's the bootloader stupid. Apparently Android 12 bootloader requires AVB-2 and verity in orange state.

The reason it happens on newer Pixels only has to do with the Android version these devices came out originally. Devices that didn't come with Android 11 originally have legacy bootloaders. Such devices were converted to Android 11 with their bootloaders still backward compatible with Android 9. Pixels 4/5 probably came out with Android 11, so, they are only compatible with Android 10.

Anyway, the only thing you can do is try to extract Android 11 bootloader from stock and flash it on your device that has Android 12.

It works on Oneplus 6/6T, which were recently updated to stock Android 11. That update broke TWRP, However, when you flash Android 10 bootloader on stock Android 11, all problems disappear.
Not sure if you're calling me stupid or the bootloader stupid, either way you should be careful about the insults.

My point on relevancy is that it doesn't change the issue we are dealing with - I agree in that I don't think Google is interested in preventing root, but I do think that they implemented new features that had the unintended effect of what we are dealing with here.

I don't think this is a bootloader issue, because the bootloader that shipped with 210812.015 (A12 initial public release) is the same as 210812.002 (A12 beta 5) - and as I mentioned previously, all we had to do on Beta 5 is flash vbmeta with the disable flags.

And, against my better judgement, I tried flashing the A11 bootloader. Unsurprisingly, I got the corrupted system error. I'm not sure where you got your information; bootloaders are typically backwards compatible, but systems are not - you can run an Android 9 ROM on an Android 11 bootloader, but you typically cannot do the reverse.

Not to be rude but it seems like you're basing your comments on incorrect information, or at least information that is relevant to a different device. In this specific case, the Pixel 5 bootloader only handles one part of AVB - verifying the kernel against vbmeta as it loads. If it doesn't match, and verification is not disabled, the bootloader will halt and display the "Unable to load/verify boot images" message.

But we aren't dealing with that. We already discovered this on the 12 beta and discovered that using --disable-verification and --disable-verity turns off this initial verification.

The issue we are running into now, as I have tried to explain exhaustively, is that the kernel begins to boot, but something in the kernel itself - probably dm-verity - finds some sort of mismatch, regardless of the bootloader state, has a kernel panic, reboots the device, and boots into recovery mode with the data corrupted error.

So what I believe we need to do is disable verity in the boot.img itself. I'm going to fire up a hex editor and use this guide, specifically Method 1, to see if I have any success.

Last edited:

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
Not sure if you're calling me stupid or the bootloader stupid, either way you should be careful about the insults.

I don't think this is a bootloader issue, because the bootloader that shipped with 210812.015 (A12 initial public release) is the same as 210812.002 (A12 beta 5) - and as I mentioned previously, all we had to do on Beta 5 is flash vbmeta with the disable flags.
On the Betas, I tried flashing the disable verity and it wouldn't boot without a wipe. The guides said a wipe would be needed. My 12 stable is behaving like my Beta 5 did.

For example, this guides explains that a wipe had to be done on the Betas https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ndroid-12-keep-root-and-data-no-wipe.4350835/

My issue with the wipe is it takes forever to setup my widgets, neither the launcher nor the various apps I use save the contents of the widgets, not to mention exact dimensions. Hours it takes, would pay for a new phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: V0latyle

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)

So far I only updated my Pixel 5 [redfin].

Originally I did a clean flash (double flash so it installed to both slots) then did the normally patch and boot method with Magisk.
When I installed Magisk (Direct install option in Magisk app) I rebooted and well..
Nothing but bootloader..

The next night (thanks to your guide 🙃) I did another clean flash disabling verification before initial boot.
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash --slot=all vbmeta vbmeta.img
Then did the same Magisk patching and boot steps I normally use.
Magisk installed and is working fine. ;)

I thought this started with the 5 series but, now that you mention it also affects Pixel 4a (5G) [bramble].

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the 4a (5G) [bramble] starts the use of BOARD_HEADER_VERSION 3 :unsure:
[TOOL] Android Image Kitchen - Unpack/Repack Kernel Ramdisk [Win/Android/Linux/Mac] - xdaThread - Post 2,480
[TOOL] Android Image Kitchen - Unpack/Repack Kernel Ramdisk [Win/Android/Linux/Mac] - xdaThread - Post 2,481

I do not have a 4a (5G) but, I plan to update my 4a [sunfish] tomorrow. :D
I will let you know if I need to disable verification on sunfish.

Cheers. :cowboy:

Edit.
Pixel 4a [sunfish] updated from 11 to 12 like normal.
No need to disable verification.

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)

A bit OT for this thread but, since I happen to have a OnePlus 6T. :sneaky:

I had no issues with TWRP running OOS v11 and no issues with TWRP since updating to OOS v11.1.1.1.
Yes I was (and still) rooted with Magisk so the OTA downloaded the full v11.1.1.1 OTA.

Cheers. :cowboy:

optimumpro

Jan 18, 2013

Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.

Reactions: ipdev and andybones
Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
I didn't seek one, I guess I misunderstood. I have never heard of that expression before, at least not in that context. I'm American too, and I've generally heard it like this:

"Hey, what's making that howling noise?"
"It's the wind, stupid!"

I digress.

I'll have to pick this up later; it's late, my wife is demanding....attention, and I want to enjoy the weekend.

optimumpro

Jan 18, 2013
I didn't seek one, I guess I misunderstood. I have never heard of that expression before, at least not in that context. I'm American too, and I've generally heard it like this:

"It's the wind, stupid!"

I digress.

I'll have to pick this up later; it's late, my wife is demanding....attention, and I want to enjoy the weekend.
All right. I didn't use the comma: It's the bootloader stupid. Not bootloader, stupid

Regards.

Reactions: V0latyle

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5

It's just the way you worded it is all. I am born in America, and actually thought the same thing when I read it.
It's confusing to me though..

I would say, not "it's the weather, stupid"
but rather
"it's the stupid weather"

so reading "It's the bootloader stupid"
I feel should be,
"it the stupid bootloader"

but thank you for clearing up that you aren't passing insults.
And it's hard to tell through text whose being argumentative, and whose being helpful.
Glad you're the latter.

Rumsfield

Apr 3, 2015
There are only two solutions for XDA members who dirty flashed Android 12 and want root.
I backed up the P5 with Google1 and wiped it and re-did everything which was a major PITA.
Root does work again so I am sure the owner will be happy.
I just got a notification just now a new beta version of Magisk just dropped about an hour after I finished.
Maybe that will make some sort of change, it does show A12 is now better supported in the release notes.
If this fixes the problem, well good for everyone but danggit I just wasted 3 hours of my time.

Reactions: Homeboy76

killchain

Oct 6, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Has anyone tried the new Magisk (23010)? Is there something notable in the update? Or is it really not new? Maybe the same update popped up for me again for some reason... Is there a way to see which Magisk version was used to patch an image?

Rumsfield

Apr 3, 2015
Has anyone tried the new Magisk (23010)? Is there something notable in the update? Or is it really not new? Maybe the same update popped up for me again for some reason... Is there a way to see which Magisk version was used to patch an image?
So I guess you didn't read my post? I just said a new magisk beta came out tonight.

Reactions: killchain

Rumsfield

Apr 3, 2015
Sorry, I missed that indeed, I was reading diagonally. Thanks for confirming though, so it's really new after all. I was confused by the "in case you missed it" in the release notes pointing to a blog post from August.
It's a canary (beta) build that just got pushed around 4AM. I already wiped the P5 so I cannot test whether it works on a dirty flash. I'm sure someone else will chime in here shortly.

Reactions: killchain

killchain

Oct 6, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Just tested 23010 on my dirty flashed 4a 5G; direct patching with it (having booted a previously patched boot.img) results in failed to load/verify boot images again.

Edit: recovered the usual way, now I'm back where I was:
Code:
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Or he/you could add this to it when flashing factory image via ADB only. Why? Because it works on the pixel 4a 5(G) and may work on the Pixel 5. It would not confuse anyone, just provide another less complicated option for upgrading/updating those phones. Seems pretty black and white to me.
    Agreed.

The confusion arises from this:
    PS :
    Pixel 4a 5(G) phone owners need to know for the initial upgrade (Android 11 to Android 12), they do not need the fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification --slot-all vbmeta vbmeta.img step in this case
    This implies that verity and verification need not be disabled when upgrading from Android 11...which if you want permanent root, is not true. This can be omitted if one flashes the factory image, as they can incorporate the flags into the command:
    Code:
    fastboot update -w --disable-verity --disable-verification image-device-buildnumber.zip
    However, if the update is performed via the OTA, then vbmeta must be specifically disabled.

If you understand what he is saying, why not add the Pixel 4a 5(G) note to the Reminders?
    This is true across ALL affected devices - Pixels on the SD765G and Tensor. It is not specific to one device.

Still, I will update the notes for the sake of clarity.
    Then I'm confused about the need to wipe.

If I uninstall magisk, restore the original boot image to A11, then flash A12 factory image, remove -w but add the disable flags, I'm then on A12 unrooted.

Install magisk, patch boot image, flash patched image.

I'm then rooted on A12 without wiping, yes?

Again, what am I missing?

I don't understand the need to wipe in this scenario.
    Read the OP, please. It's been explained thoroughly. If you try flash a patched boot image on stock A12, on the 765G and Tensor devices, bootloader will reject your boot image:
    failed to load/verify boot images
    To fix this, you have to reflash vbmeta:
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img
    If you have not wiped, and AVB was not already disabled, this will result in booting into recovery (Rescue Party) telling you your data is corrupted with the option to try again or factory reset.

Meaning: A wipe is required when you upgrade from Android 11. A wipe is required when you root the first time on Android 12. A wipe will also be required if you let the phone boot after forgetting to disable verity and verification.

I have an untested idea that one could try and disable vbmeta while still on A11, then dirty flash the A12 image also disabling vbmeta...but as far as I know this will require a data wipe as well.
    On that note, has anyone on A11 October tried either:

- Flashing just vbmeta from A11 Oct full system image, using the disable flags, then tried a dirty flash of A12 Nov FSI, also with disable flags

-or-

- Dirty flash A11 Oct FSI over the same installed A11 Oct using the disabled flags, then dirty flash A12 Nov FSI

Wondering if either would avoid the necessity of the system wipe with the first install of A12 FSI in order to be able to then flash modified boot images with success.

If nobody's done it yet or knows for certain it wouldn't work I may go guinea pig and try it. *May not be for a bit yet, but as soon as I have a day of life buffer to deal with possible issues and restores, there's really nothing to lose as currently I have to wipe anyhow.*
    I'm not clear on why there is a focus on the OTA update.

Since I've been rooting Pixels, I flash the factory image via adb. One has to use adb anyway to root after the update.

Based on the recent discussion, it seems like the most straight-forward path is to flash the factory image and add the disable verity and disable verification lines to the flash-all script.

After update, then root.

What an I missing?
    Nothing, you're exactly correct.
    Code:
    fastboot update --disable-verity --disable-verification image-redfin-buildnumber.zip
    Allow update to complete including a reboot. Patch boot.img after the update, then reboot to bootloader and flash.
    Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.2.0 is out for public access; this version has been ported to Zygisk.
    WARNING: PERMANENT ROOT WHEN UPGRADING FROM ANDROID 11 REQUIRES A DATA WIPE! THERE IS CURRENTLY NO WAY AROUND THIS.

WARNING: MANUALLY INSTALLING FACTORY UPDATES OR IMAGES REQUIRES AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER. If your bootloader is locked, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.

WARNING: MODIFY YOUR DEVICE AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU ALONE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MALFUNCTION, DAMAGE, OR LOSS OF ANY KIND IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG.

Root will be done via Magisk. If you aren't already using it, download and install to your phone.

Warning: For the sake of simplicity, I frequently will use generalizations when referring to files ("[patched boot image]" instead of "magisk_patched-23001_xxxxx.img" for example). It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to ensure you are flashing the correct file. The easiest way to do this is type the command in the command line without the file itself, then drag and drop the file you want to flash into the command line window.

For those of you with a locked bootloader:

Simply install the update as usual via OTA, whether automatically through Android Update, or manually via adb sideload.

First, a bit of information on why you need to follow this guide (See this post)

Two new Verified Boot features implemented in Android 12 will interfere with attempts to root. A more detailed explanation is below if you would like.

Dm-verity (device-mapper-verity) is a method by which an image on block devices (the underlying storage layer of the file system) can be checked to determine if it matches an expected configuration, using a cryptographic hash tree. If the hash doesn't match, dm-verity prevents the stored code from loading.

Vbmeta verification is the other half of this - it provides a cryptographically signed reference hash which is used to verify the integrity of /boot, /system, and /vendor partitions. The vbmeta image is only used to verify /boot, while vbmeta-system is used to verify /system.

This was implemented to prevent persistent rootkits by means of a hardware level security check, to prevent "potentially harmful applications" such as Magisk from evading detection, as such applications residing within the kernel will have higher privileges than the detection applications.

What this means is that with these two enabled, a modified boot image will cause a verification error when flashed to the device, preventing boot. Interestingly, this check is not performed against "live" boot images loaded via ADB, so with dm-verity and vbmeta verification enabled, a modified image can be booted as long as the image in /boot is intact.

The good news is, disabling these features is as easy as using a command switch.
    The bad news, however, is that /data must be clean the first time this is done.

If you update via automatic OTA: THIS WILL REQUIRE A WIPE EVERY TIME!
    1. Download the factory image (Yes, this is required) to your computer. Connect your device via USB.
    2. Extract the contents of the factory image, then extract both boot.img and vbmeta.img from the image-[device].zip (where [device] is the codename for your device, such as Redfin for Pixel 5
    2. Reboot to bootloader: With device connected via USB, Developer Options enabled and USB Debugging enabled, reboot to bootloader using ADB:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    3. Continue to Reflash vbmeta below

To manually install the OTA:
    1. Download the OTA for your device, as well as the factory image (Yes, you need both) to your computer.
    2. Install the OTA
    3. Extract the contents of the factory image, then extract both boot.img and vbmeta.img from the image-[device].zip (where [device] is the codename for your device, such as Redfin for Pixel 5
    4. Let the update complete, and IMMEDIATELY reboot to bootloader.
    5. Continue to Reflash vbmeta below

Reflash VBmeta
    1. Reflash vbmeta with dm-verity and boot verification disabled:
    Code:
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash --slot=all vbmeta vbmeta.img
    2. If this is the first time you are rooting Android 12, you will end up in Recovery with this message: "Can't load Android system. Your data may be corrupt." You will have to perform the factory reset to continue. Once complete, let the device boot Android.
    3. If you have previously wiped and are updating, let the device boot Android.
    Continue to Patch Boot Image below.

1. Open this link in Google Chrome (DO NOT USE MICROSOFT EDGE OR MOZILLA FIREFOX) Here is the link for beta
    2. Connect your device via USB (make sure USB Debugging is enabled)
    3. Enable ADB access in the browser
    4. Select your device
    5. Select the Android 12 build
    6. IMPORTANT: Click the pencil icon next to the selected build
    7. Ensure Wipe Device, Disable Verification, and Disable Verity are checked. DATA WIPE IS REQUIRED when updating from an older version of Android. Don't lock your bootloader if you want root. Force flash all partitions should not be necessary (but use this if you've run into problems and are starting over). Skip Secondary and Force Debuggable should be unchecked, unless you want to use ADB for root access on the stock kernel for some reason.
    8. Click Install Build.
    9. Wait until the update finishes, including a reboot to Android.
    10. Continue to Patch Boot Image below.

1. Download the factory image to your computer and connect your device via USB, with USB debugging enabled.
    2. Extract the contents of the factory ZIP
    3. Reboot to bootloader:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    4. If necessary, update the bootloader: WARNING: IF DONE INCORRECTLY THIS WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader [bootloader image]
    Reboot back to bootloader.
    5. If necessary, update the radio:
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio [radio image]
    Reboot to bootloader.
    6. Install the update:
    Code:
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification -w update [factory image zip]
    DATA WIPE IS REQUIRED when updating from an older version of Android.
    7. Let the update complete, including a reboot to Android
    8. Continue to Patch Boot Image below

1. Extract boot.img from the factory image ZIP if you haven't done so already
    2. Install Magisk on your phone
    3. Move the boot image to your phone via USB, and patch it using "Select and Patch a File" in Magisk
    4. Move the patched boot image back to your PC
    5. Reboot to bootloader
    6. Flash the patched boot image:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot [patched boot image]
    7. Reboot to system.

For subsequent updates to Android 12:
    DO NOT USE AUTOMATIC UPDATE! DO NOT LET THE DEVICE BOOT BEFORE YOU DISABLE VERITY AND VERIFICATION!

Follow the same directions as above, except you don't have to wipe.

Key reminders:
    * The OTA does not have a way to set the disable flags for vbmeta, so if you update via OTA, you will have to reflash vbmeta with the disable flags every time you update.
    * The most critical thing to remember is that once you have disabled verified boot and gained permanent root, YOU MUST NOT let the device boot into Android if /vbmeta is flashed without disabling verity and verification.
    * If you forget to do this and let the device boot into Android, you will end up in Rescue Party: Recovery Mode screen with the message "Can't load Android system. Your data may be corrupt." YOU WILL HAVE TO WIPE TO GET ROOT BACK.

If you run into problems, or just want to share your results, please feel free to post your method and results in this thread.

It's just the way you worded it is all. I am born in America, and actually thought the same thing when I read it.
    It's confusing to me though..

I would say, not "it's the weather, stupid"
    but rather
    "it's the stupid weather"

so reading "It's the bootloader stupid"
    I feel should be,
    "it the stupid bootloader"

but thank you for clearing up that you aren't passing insults.
    And it's hard to tell through text whose being argumentative, and whose being helpful.
    Glad you're the latter.
    Or he/you could add this to it when flashing factory image via ADB only. Why? Because it works on the pixel 4a 5(G) and may work on the Pixel 5. It would not confuse anyone, just provide another less complicated option for upgrading/updating those phones. Seems pretty black and white to me.
    Agreed.

The confusion arises from this:
    PS :
    Pixel 4a 5(G) phone owners need to know for the initial upgrade (Android 11 to Android 12), they do not need the fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification --slot-all vbmeta vbmeta.img step in this case
    This implies that verity and verification need not be disabled when upgrading from Android 11...which if you want permanent root, is not true. This can be omitted if one flashes the factory image, as they can incorporate the flags into the command:
    Code:
    fastboot update -w --disable-verity --disable-verification image-device-buildnumber.zip
    However, if the update is performed via the OTA, then vbmeta must be specifically disabled.

If you understand what he is saying, why not add the Pixel 4a 5(G) note to the Reminders?
    This is true across ALL affected devices - Pixels on the SD765G and Tensor. It is not specific to one device.

Still, I will update the notes for the sake of clarity.
    For those of you who have not yet wiped data and are using unrooted Android 12:

As long as your system boots, you should be able to live boot a patched boot image and use that for temporary root:

fastboot boot patched_boot.img

If you are currently stuck at the "corrupted data" message in recovery, try sideloading the OTA or dirty flashing the factory image (with NO FLAGS). If that doesn't work, the only fix that I know of that works is to perform a factory reset...but if you get to that point, you might as well clean flash the factory image with both --disable flags:

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification -w update redfin_image.zip

at which point you should be able to flash and boot the patched boot image.

"It's the wind, stupid!"

I digress.