[Guide] [Android 6.0+] Change Device Model Name (Additional Steps Required)

Search This thread

MaDMaxiBo

Apr 6, 2014
@MaDMaxiBo
you have to add the line: ro.product.model=phone name in build.prop (system and vendor) and adb shell ...

thanks.
added lines and changed build.prop files in system and vendor too. it shows name as Mi 9 Lite as i want but i cant do the third step.

adb shell. when i try it says : Argument expected to be 'default' :confused:

adb shell settings get global device_name works and shows name as =MI CC 9
adb shell settings put global device_name "Mi 9 Lite" -doesnt work
adb shell settings put global device_name Mi 9 Lite -doesnt work
adb shell settings put global device_name 'Mi 9 Lite' -doesnt work

Last edited:

domi1066

Jul 10, 2017
you can try : adb shell settings put global device_name Mi\ 9\ Lite
it should be working.

Last edited:

kevinp1992

Jul 4, 2018
I have Realme X2 (RMX1992) phone with Lineage OS 17.1 with root. and want to change my device model to Realme X2 Pro (RMX1931).

Have edited build.prop files in system and vendor folder with ro.product.model=RMX1931 , and also set global device name as below.
adb shell settings put global device_name RMX1931

But still my device is still recognized as RMX1992 :(

Apurv08

Apr 4, 2016
Not working reverts back

I have tried all the things written above, used termux(removed adb shell part), added lines as i also had ". System" in between the product brand and model name. Still after the reboot build.prop reverts.
I am using poco f1
Latest global miui
Tried thoroughly all the tricks please help
Thank you

boyultimate69

Feb 19, 2013
z3525544142864_415e43f536ecffcbeead08f2e199be4a.jpg

I want to change the model name ; I use Android 12
Please help me !!!!
Thank you very much !!!!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Starting from Android Marshmallow and above, simply changing the ro.product.model entry in /system/build.prop will not change the device's name everywhere. The build.prop change can only be seen in Settings > About phone.

Introduced in 6.0, Android stores your device name in an additional location, in addition to the build.prop entry. It is stored in a database in your phone's memory. The value in the database is populated the first time you boot up your device (after installing ROM for example), so even if you alter the device name in build.prop, apps can still detect your "old" device name through the database entry.

In the past, the database was stored in a file, but since Marshmallow Settings Storage (com.android.providers.settings) stores a bunch of your phone's settings in memory. Here is how you can change your device's model name.

1. You should modify the ro.product.model entry your /system/build.prop if you haven't already:
    Example:
    Code:
    ro.product.model=My Phone Model Name

2. Next, connect your device to the computer, make sure you have ADB installed.

Alternatively, you can use Terminal Emulator on your device. Run the commands below as root user, but do not include the adb shell part.

3. Execute the following to see the device name stored in the device's Settings database:
    Code:
    adb shell settings get global device_name
    It should return your current device name, <DEVICE_NAME>.

4. Replace the existing model name with a new one:
    Code:
    adb shell settings put global device_name "<NEW_DEVICE_NAME>"

For example, if I want to change my device name to My Phone Model Name, I would issue the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell settings put global device_name "My Phone Model Name"

6. Now check to see the device name is updated (same as first command)
    Code:
    adb shell settings get global device_name

It should now return the updated device name. E.g, My Phone Model Name

Next, reboot your device and apps should correctly detect your new device name.

I hope this helps! Feel free to leave any questions or comments in this thread.

Additional Resources:
    @piit79 has a similar tutorial for changing your device's ID, also for Marshmallow and above:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ne...android-id-t3219345/post63168322#post63168322
    Good tutorial, but I would recommend using simpler ADB commands.

For example, change this:

adb shell content insert --uri content://settings/global --bind name:s:device_name --bind value:s:<DEVICE_NAME>

to this:

adb shell settings put global device_name <DEVICE_NAME>
    wow, good job, this looks really good (though i don't need it right now, it is good to know it's possible). my question is, would something similar be possible for the name of the rom and kernel? i'd like my bank's app to think i'm on stock, it does check safetynet but even with magisk and passed safetynet it doesn't work on any other rom than stock.. thanks in advance for your answer!

Hi, the ROM and kernel information are not stored in the global settings database. However, you can try modifying your ROM name in the /system/build.prop file.
    Google Photos

Will this enable Google Photos full size backup if I rename my 6P to Pixel XL?
    I got this:
    Too many arguments
    usage: settings [--user NUM] get namespace key
    settings [--user NUM] put namespace key value
    settings [--user NUM] delete namespace key
    settings [--user NUM] list namespace
    namespace' is one of {system, secure, global}, case-insensitive
    If '--user NUM' is not given, the operations are performed on the owner user.

Xperia M4 Aqua E2303

EDIT: OK; old method worked for me. Successfuly changed it. New method didn't work.
    Which command did you use? Make sure your device name is surrounded by double quotes.