• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Android 8 API27 SUPERMOD for YT9216BF YT9216CFJ YT9216BJ YT9216BFJ YT9216CJ - root, Viper4Android, TWRP, Custom UI, brick recovery and more

Search This thread

algupta81

Apr 18, 2021
India
Samsung Galaxy M30s
As it states in the PDF guid - the root on Android 8 is unstable unless properly installed. Here are a few tips on how to increase the stability of the root:
  • You need to make sure that your head unit is connected to ACC only so it shuts down fully every time you shut down the engine. You don't want to put your unit into "sleep" mode as that causes lots of problems in general, like unstable root, loss of sound, slow performance etc etc

• If for some reason you can't deactivate Sleep mode, you need to ensure you have active internet connection every time the head unit "wakes up"

• Re-install root from scratch

The reason TWRP 2GB didn't work on your head unit and 1GB did - is because your operating system is hacked to show 2GB where in fact you have 1 GB of RAM. TWRP will "listen" to what the hardware "says". To verify this - open your head unit and check the label on your RAM chip and then run internet search to see what the real capacity is.
Regarding the RAM and Storage, I checked for storage and it actually is 32GB as seen on chipset. I shared the MB pics with you but dont know which chip is for RAM.

tplpro

Oct 20, 2021
I flashed the firmware,but after reboot so i need to do a factory reset .
But my volume Keys dont access the point of "factory reset" in the recovery menu.
What can i do?

RandCat

Oct 1, 2021
Do you have any active threads regarding hardware modding? I have some electrical experience and would be interested in taking this a step further.

RandCat

Oct 1, 2021
I'm in the first steps of upgrading the firmware and after copying the scatter I created into the firmware folder, it give me this when I select it. However it does not give me this error when I select the same file but in the original "My Scatter and Preloader" file. I'm assuming that's still not correct, so halting til I can figure this out.

flash_tool_LGHwHTBWE3.jpg

RandCat

Oct 1, 2021
I found out the cause, it's in the path name. I removed all special characters from the directory tree and it works - that's why it worked in the other folder, because it contained no special characters.

RandCat

Oct 1, 2021
Ok something is wrong now. I clicked Download with only BOOTIMG, VENDOR, and ANDROID selected, and then after that was done I turned on the unit. It displays my car make's logo for a second and the screen sort of fades to white then black? It's all blank til I disconnect it again.

Last edited:

algupta81

Apr 18, 2021
India
Samsung Galaxy M30s
Ok something is wrong now. I clicked Download with only BOOTIMG, VENDOR, and ANDROID selected, and then after that was done I turned on the unit. It displays my car make's logo for a second and the screen sort of fades to white then black? It's all blank til I disconnect it again.
View attachment 5439347
Flash without bootimg selected.happened same with me.Select only Android/System nd Vendor nd then flash it

RandCat

Oct 1, 2021
Same as before. Only this time flash your boot.img from your backup and no other files.

So SP Flash tools --> Pick Scatter and untick all the boxes aside from boot.img and then click Download and insert the USB cable.
I want to confirm first, do you want me to restore from backup first, or is this a step directly after the last steps I did (which is the vendor, android, boot step)? Is this image looking correct? I changed the path by clicking on the one near BOOTIMG
1635020651473.png

ExtremeMOD

Aug 14, 2020
London
extrememod.co.uk
I want to confirm first, do you want me to restore from backup first, or is this a step directly after the last steps I did (which is the vendor, android, boot step)? Is this image looking correct? I changed the path by clicking on the one near BOOTIMG
View attachment 5439833

During the backup procedure in the instructions video, the last part is about creating firmware from your memory dump.

Once you've done that, you go to the folder where you saved your firmware and then perform the flash as in your picture.

You do not need to restore your backup. Just restore the boot file. And send that boot.img file to me, just in case.

RandCat

Oct 1, 2021
During the backup procedure in the instructions video, the last part is about creating firmware from your memory dump.

Once you've done that, you go to the folder where you saved your firmware and then perform the flash as in your picture.

You do not need to restore your backup. Just restore the boot file. And send that boot.img file to me, just in case.
I restored the boot.img file, turned on head unit, and performed full factory reset. Now it's stuck on the "android" boot logo, where it has a shiny animation every second. Been like this for about 5 minutes.

Edit: I spoke too soon. It just takes a while, I guess! Maybe to note that in future guides so people don't worry and reset the device.

Top Liked Posts

Hi all

Got a weird issue with my YT9216BJ stereo that I am hoping this mod will resolve.

The stereo randomly powers on and drains my battery and I don't understand why. The built in launcher is poor but I've installed my purchased version of Agama from a previous Android Head Unit and it works much better.

I have attached pictures of the stereo settings pages to see if this update is compatible or not

Thanks

Your head unit is compatible with this mod. It will not solve your particular issue however. In order to solve it, you need to rewire it in your car. Simply put, connect your B+ and ACC cable to the ACC input in your car. This way your stereo will only power on when you start the car. With this mod, the startup time will go down considerably as well. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the reply. I used the wiring harnesses that came with it and attached it to my existing cradle. I'm guessing then that the wiring harness needs modifying to fix the problem?

I'll probably wait until weekend to have a look at that properly then

Yes but all you need to do is to remove the B+ cable where it connects to the car socket and then twist it together with the ACC one.
    Thanks. And those are original files you extracted from your backup, correct?
    Yes, extracted from original boot1 and rom_user files, correct.
    Sorry, i missed i use this "YT9216BF_6.2v3.5_02.05.2021"

Okay, in this case:

1. Restore your backup

2. Flash the firmware again but without the boot.img file (so only Android/System and Vendor)

3. If 2GB TWRP file doesn't work, try the 1GB one.
    Okay, in this case:

1. Restore your backup

2. Flash the firmware again but without the boot.img file (so only Android/System and Vendor)

3. If 2GB TWRP file doesn't work, try the 1GB one.
    Finished!!! Thank you Very Much.

i Flashed Android/System and Vendor only. But TWRP 2 GB Not work, Worked with 1GB
    Hi all

Got a weird issue with my YT9216BJ stereo that I am hoping this mod will resolve.

The stereo randomly powers on and drains my battery and I don't understand why. The built in launcher is poor but I've installed my purchased version of Agama from a previous Android Head Unit and it works much better.

I have attached pictures of the stereo settings pages to see if this update is compatible or not

Thanks

Your head unit is compatible with this mod. It will not solve your particular issue however. In order to solve it, you need to rewire it in your car. Simply put, connect your B+ and ACC cable to the ACC input in your car. This way your stereo will only power on when you start the car. With this mod, the startup time will go down considerably as well. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the reply. I used the wiring harnesses that came with it and attached it to my existing cradle. I'm guessing then that the wiring harness needs modifying to fix the problem?

I'll probably wait until weekend to have a look at that properly then

Yes but all you need to do is to remove the B+ cable where it connects to the car socket and then twist it together with the ACC one.
    Hi all,

If you want to greatly improve the way your head unit works, sounds and looks like - you've come to the right place!

Why install this?
    With this package you will greatly improve:
    • Stability
    • Speed
    • User Interface
    • Sound tweaking options
    • Customization options
    20210805112900.jpg

• ON PHYSICAL BUTTONS: this software has only been tested on head units with no physical buttons (like volume) | Before making any changes, access the CAR SETTINGS -> FACTORY SETTINGS -> ENCODER SETTINGS on your head unit and take a screenshot of the current settings (see example below). After installing the package, go back to these settings and adjust them if needed. If that doesn't help and if you can't successfully re-calibrate the buttons after installing the firmware, restore your backup

encoder settings.png

Disclaimer
    I do not create the software itself but rather use research and put together different mods and hacks into one package that includes very user-friendly step-by-step instructions on how to install it all. You will find the links to original posts in the instructions pdf's if credit is due. The software might include smaller changes made by me and has been fully tested in real units.

This guide works on the following 1Gb RAM and 2 Gb RAM units with fake Android 10 and Android 11 installed:

- YT9216BF | YT9216CFJ | YT9216BJ | YT9216BFJ | YT9216CJ

!! TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR SYSTEM INFO AND KERNEL VERSION BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO YOUR HEAD UNIT !!

Screenshot_20181015-082542.png 20210805092140.jpg

The zip file package contains:
    • Modified firmware - courtesy of Stranger21UFA @ 4PDA (link to the original post)
    • TWRP (separate folders for 1GB and 2GB RAM units)
    • Root via Magisk
    • Viper4Android
    • Car Launcher
    • Boot Animation
    • SEPARATE INSTRUCTIONS ARE INCLUDED IN EVERY FOLDER

>>>> ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR UNIT BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES TO IT <<<<

!! IMPORTANT !!

This is a fairly advanced installation process and will require you to follow the individual guides included in the software package - to the letter. Failing to do so, will (in "best" case) result in a slow and buggy head unit and in the worse case - brick it altogether.​

DOWNLOAD #5
    YT9216BF * YT9216CFJ * YT9216BJ * YT9216BFJ * YT9216CJ - supermod software package & drivers

STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE (upgrading from working stock firmware):
    1. DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS, AND INSTALL EVERYTHING IN THE CORRECT ORDER. STEPS 5 AND 6 ARE MOST CRITICAL.

2. Proceed to download the software package for your unit and the drivers package in the same folder

3. It's highly recommended to do these upgrades with your unit connected on your desktop, rather than in the car. Video Guide

4. Install the Mediatek & ADB drivers on your Windows computer. Video Guide - use the same principle for ADB drivers.

5. Backup your current system by exporting a full memory dump. Video Guide

6. Import back your memory dump from step-5 to ensure it fully works. This is how.

7. Install the package. Separate instructions are included in every folder of the downloaded zip file. Follow them by the order.

IF THIS SOFTWARE PACKAGE HAS BRICKED YOUR HEAD UNIT AND YOU HAVE YOUR BACKUP AVAILABLE, follow the steps below:
    1. DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS, AND INSTALL EVERYTHING IN THE CORRECT ORDER.

2. It's highly recommended to do these upgrades with your unit connected on your desktop, rather than in the car. Video Guide

3. Install the Mediatek & ADB drivers on your Windows computer. Video Guide - use the same principle for ADB drivers - (download link is in the video description)

4. Watch this video on Test Point recovery

5. Import back your memory dump. This is how.

6. If successful - try to install the software package again or stay with your original one

IF THIS SOFTWARE PACKAGE HAS BRICKED YOUR HEAD UNIT AND YOU HAVE NO BACKUP AVAILABLE, follow the steps below:
    1. Share the pictures of your System Info and Kernel in this thread and I'll try to help you

20210805091905.jpg 20210805091639.jpg 20210805112820.jpg 20210805091836.jpg

------------------------------------------

This post is being frequently updated and you'll find more guides and mods in my signature​

------------------------------------------

Thanks! And if this post is helpful to you please don't forget to "like" it.

Enjoy!​

[V4A][VIPER4ANDROID][ViperFX][ROOT][TWRP][8227L][YT9216BF] [YT9216CFJ] [YT9216BJ] [YT9216BFJ] [YT9216CJ]
    Below post is to show my respect & appreciation to iceblue1980 and in addition to share my experience that had for a few days while trying to make my unit better with above firmware.

As I downloaded firmware package, I chose not to follow his guide by letter & skip a few steps, for example & most important, not to take full back up of memory.
    Then disaster followed, as I almost bricked the unit.
    So I turned back to post/s to find solutions. Iceblue1980 was there, day & night responding to me & sending me several alternatives to try.
    He even volunteered to fix my unit by sending it to him without any money even if he had to spend valuable time for it.
    Finally, after several attempts & lots of files / firmwares / guides he sent me the gold package & we made it work !!!

I carefully followed his last guide by letter & that was it.

Now my unit is back to life & even better than ever.

This guy is awesome & I personally thank him so much.

To all members, PLS FOLLOW author's
    guides BY LETTER EVERYTIME to avoid surprises !!!!
    AND
    Don't forget to thank the people who are there for you day or night.
    They use lot of their personal time to be there for you & that is priceless !!

:) :) :) :)
    The links go to a '404' page.
    I did the first step as per the guide then did a factory reset. I then installed TWRP and rebooted then unit. Then I ran the 'reboot recovery' command in the terminal emulator and the unit rebooted, but it only shows the logo, some vertical lines on the bottom half of the screen, then a black screen and hangs there.

I can still reboot normally and the unit will run.

Separately, when resuming audio tracks after key-off, the audio is very choppy and unusable. Both bluetooth audio and the music app behave the same.

To recover, I have to reset the unit and then the audio is ok.

Also there's a very loud audio boom on start up and shutdown of the unit. This is not there in the stock firmware.View attachment 5409085

Thank you for sharing these details. I'm afraid your head unit is not compatible with any of my software packages. If you haven't done so already, please revert back to factory firmware to avoid issues.
    The method I had to use slightly differs from everything I have read.

1.) I wired a toggle switch to my positive lead. Left it in the off position (no power to head unit)

You could share a picture of your soldered button. Some folks here might find it helpful :)

I'm thinking of making a guide going for a permanent mod, where the soldered tactile SMD button will be accessible through a small hole in the back of the head unit (similar to how you access the RESET button). That way you can use a 'needle' to short the test points, rather than picking the unit apart every time.
    View attachment 5405715my board is this where is the recovery pin ? And where I conect an antenna for wifi

These are the recovery test points:

IMG-20210909-WA0006.jpeg

The Wifi/BT antenna mod is shown here, however I plan to post a proper guide on this particular mod in the future.