• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][APPS WORKING][4.3 - 4.4.4] Gear Fit on Non-Samsung Devices

Search This thread

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Instructions:

1. Buy a Gear Fit
  2. Connect the Gear Fit to your computer.
  3. Download KIES and install it.
  4. Follow the prompts to update the Gear Fit.
  5. Link: http://www.samsung.com/levant/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP
  6. Install the first APK from the downloads below.
  7. Open the app you just installed.
  8. Go through the setup again on your device.
  9. Install the second APK below (not mandatory).
  10. You're done!
  11. If you have a Samsung device running a custom ROM, read the third section below.

Get Fit Apps Working (Optional):
THIS PART REQUIRES ROOT AND EDITING SYSTEM FILES. IF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THIS, SKIP THIS PART.!
  • Open your build.prop with a text editor.
  • Edit the following values:
    • ro.product.model=GT-I9505
    • ro.product.brand=samsung
    • ro.product.name=SM-900S
    • ro.product.device=SM-900S
  • Reboot and now apps like Gear Calendar, Quick settings, Strava...etc. should work.

Samsung Devices With Custom ROMs:

THIS PART REQUIRES ROOT AND EDITING SYSTEM FILES. IF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THIS, SKIP THIS PART.!
  • Open your build.prop in any text editor. Root Explorer works well, or whatever you're used to using.
  • Change the "Samsung" in "ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung" to anything else. HTC, LG, asdf, anything is fine. :)
  • This stops the force closing. You're done!

Workaround for Auto-Connecting Bluetooth:

Phones confirmed working:

• HTC One M8
  • HTC One M7
  • HTC One Max
  • HTC One X
  • Huawei Ascend P6
  • Nexus 4
  • Nexus 5
  • Nexus 7
  • Xperia Z Ultra
  • Xperia SP
  • Xperia Z1
  • Xperia Z
  • Xperia Z1s
  • Xperia Z2
  • Moto X
  • LG G Flex
  • LG G2
  • LG Optimus G Pro
  • Xiaomi MI3

Downloads:

What works:

• Notifications
  • Clocks
  • Find my Device
  • Heart Rate
  • Reject Calls
  • Media Controls
  • Watchface customizer
  • Gear Fit Apps

What doesn't work:

• Weather
  • Quick reply SMS (works on the latest firmware).
  • Anything that uses a Samsung Account
  • Syncing fitness stats to phone
  • Custom Wallpapers

Last edited:

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Force closes on me after installation of Gear Fit Manager. Running Note 3 with Aosp ROM.

Sent from my hlte using xda app-developers app

I didn't make the APK, I just took it from the S5, so it should work. Maybe it doesn't work on AOSP roms. The only phones I confirmed it working on are the ones in the OP.

Can you edit your post to not quote the entire OP? :)

EDIT: On the M7.
Screenshot_2014_04_15_15_21_02.png

Baka no Kami

Jul 22, 2006
I was able to do the update on a Nexus 5 with an older version of the manager and then upgrading. Using 1.25 it paired then tried to start the update. The update only went about 4 percent before stopping. I stopped the manager on the Nexus, but this left the Fit in update mode. Installed 1.49 and tried to pair it again. It went through the update fine and the Fit rebooted. After that the Nexus immediately paired with it.

The only trouble I've been having is with the fitness app. It doesn't seem to actually pull any info from the Fit. When I go in to the settings and try to look at my profile it crashes.

Reactions: aooga

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
Any idea if this will work w/ Moto devices? I have a Note 3 I can do the prelim on and then I want to get a Fit for my wife's Droid Maxx. I also have a Gear 2 Neo I can test w/ it, but as I understand they're different OS so maybe not a good test to see if Fit works without actually having one. If anyone else can try I'd appreciate it.

Edit: NVM, I had forgotten the Fit doesn't have the mic and speaker. WHHHHHYYYYYY Samsung??!?!!! It would have been the first smartwatch suitable for females who don't want the big bulky bezel, except you gimp it by not giving it the handy feature my wife was actually interested in. The other ones are too big. Heck I would have gone w/ a Fit myself if it had it as I'm still on the fence on keeping my Neo.

Last edited:

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Any idea if this will work w/ Moto devices? I have a Note 3 I can do the prelim on and then I want to get a Fit for my wife's Droid Maxx. I also have a Gear 2 Neo I can test w/ it, but as I understand they're different OS so maybe not a good test to see if Fit works without actually having one. If anyone else can try I'd appreciate it.

Edit: NVM, I had forgotten the Fit doesn't have the mic and speaker. WHHHHHYYYYYY Samsung??!?!!! It would have been the first smartwatch suitable for females who don't want the big bulky bezel, except you gimp it by not giving it the handy feature my wife was actually interested in. The other ones are too big. Heck I would have gone w/ a Fit myself if it had it as I'm still on the fence on keeping my Neo.

It should work since Moto phones are pretty close to stock. Yeah the Gear 2 is too big.

CrackAMouet

Aug 5, 2007

Working on my Moto X :cowboy:

Reactions: rEVOLVE and aooga

alucard_xs

Feb 24, 2011
works great on Nexus 7 (2012 model) --- you can edit first post moderator ;)

But I can't find any configuration about the sms in gear manager ... is it automatic ?
Mails notifications works great ;)

Last edited:

m4t1ss

Feb 5, 2014
Zurich
Gear Fit Manager works with Sony Xperia SP. Only wallpapers can't be changed ): The fitness app requires a samsung account and can't get to log in to that:rolleyes:

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
works great on Nexus 7 (2012 model) --- you can edit first post moderator ;)

But I can't find any configuration about the sms in gear manager ... is it automatic ?
Mails notifications works great ;)

Gear Fit Manager works with Sony Xperia SP. Only wallpapers can't be changed ): The fitness app requires a samsung account and can't get to log in to that:rolleyes:

I'll add both.
@alucard_xs - it should automatically have SMS notifications enabled. It might be called "Messaging".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

hotochan123

Mar 20, 2009
according to the (german) manual you can update the device via the kies software through a usb connection to your pc. If that is true, you can skip the part where you temporarily need a samsung device to update the gear fit. i am due to receive my device so i cannot test if it works, but anyone else could do that.

Reactions: AiMwasNeD

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
according to the (german) manual you can update the device via the kies software through a usb connection to your pc. If that is true, you can skip the part where you temporarily need a samsung device to update the gear fit. i am due to receive my device so i cannot test if it works, but anyone else could do that.

Yeah maybe. Let me know if that works and I'll update the op

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

vanhalfCZ

Apr 19, 2014
On Xiaomi *mi3 gear fit works without problems, but only version 1.25 gear managment. Version 1.49 does not work. application sees the bracelet but can not connect to it. When you first start fit manager 1.25 update is made gear fit. Do not know why version 1.25 works without problems and version 1.49 is not it?

Atomfred

Dec 25, 2010
update

In the. Version 1,49 is tue Firmware-Update fort tue Fit.Reste your fit and make the update with a Samsung Device.
Then Connect your fit to tue 1,49 on your non Samsung Device
I had tue same Problem with my Htc mini but.so it Works vor me:good:

On Xiaomi *mi3 gear fit works without problems, but only version 1.25 gear managment. Version 1.49 does not work. application sees the bracelet but can not connect to it. When you first start fit manager 1.25 update is made gear fit. Do not know why version 1.25 works without problems and version 1.49 is not it?

Reactions: vanhalfCZ

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions:

1. Buy a Gear Fit
    2. Connect the Gear Fit to your computer.
    3. Download KIES and install it.
    4. Follow the prompts to update the Gear Fit.
    5. Link: http://www.samsung.com/levant/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP
    6. Install the first APK from the downloads below.
    7. Open the app you just installed.
    8. Go through the setup again on your device.
    9. Install the second APK below (not mandatory).
    10. You're done!
    11. If you have a Samsung device running a custom ROM, read the third section below.

Get Fit Apps Working (Optional):
    • Open your build.prop with a text editor.
    • Edit the following values:
      • ro.product.model=GT-I9505
      • ro.product.brand=samsung
      • ro.product.name=SM-900S
      • ro.product.device=SM-900S
    • Reboot and now apps like Gear Calendar, Quick settings, Strava...etc. should work.

Samsung Devices With Custom ROMs:

• Open your build.prop in any text editor. Root Explorer works well, or whatever you're used to using.
    • Change the "Samsung" in "ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung" to anything else. HTC, LG, asdf, anything is fine. :)
    • This stops the force closing. You're done!

Workaround for Auto-Connecting Bluetooth:

Phones confirmed working:

• HTC One M8
    • HTC One M7
    • HTC One Max
    • HTC One X
    • Huawei Ascend P6
    • Nexus 4
    • Nexus 5
    • Nexus 7
    • Xperia Z Ultra
    • Xperia SP
    • Xperia Z1
    • Xperia Z
    • Xperia Z1s
    • Xperia Z2
    • Moto X
    • LG G Flex
    • LG G2
    • LG Optimus G Pro
    • Xiaomi MI3

Downloads:

What works:

• Notifications
    • Clocks
    • Find my Device
    • Heart Rate
    • Reject Calls
    • Media Controls
    • Watchface customizer
    • Gear Fit Apps

What doesn't work:

• Weather
    • Quick reply SMS (works on the latest firmware).
    • Anything that uses a Samsung Account
    • Syncing fitness stats to phone
    • Custom Wallpapers
    I have access to an S4, will that work as a source/update device?

You can get the update via KIES 3 on your desktop PC/MAC:

http://www.samsung.com/levant/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00059171/81102

Just load/run KIES 3,plug in your GEAR FIT & follow the prompts.
    It's a very painless/easy process,should take no more than 10 minutes tops.
    I just made Gear FIT Apps working. Or at least the Calendar on Nexus 5 :)
    As mentioned earlier, it's just editing the build.prop.

I used values used in SGS5 (the most simillar device) seen in this screenshot:
    http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-transform-your-galaxy-s4-into-an-s5

What i changed are those values:
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.brand
    ro.product.name
    ro.product.device

Everything else left intact, restarted the phone. Gear Fit Manager works fine (without reinstall), Calendar on the Fit the same. Will try more of the apps.

Unfortunately, Fitness for Gear is still not getting data, guess there will be some bigger issue...

EDIT: tried some switch app for tunring off wifi and sounds on mobile and works as well
    Hi fellow Gear Fit owners,

Coming from Gear 2 / Neo space, there is a similar tutorial over there. I think you can utilise some advices from there, e.g. to how to make Samsung account work, gaining ability to synchronise your fitness activities to your account.

Working on my Moto X :cowboy: