• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Auto Bluetooth Tethering (NO ROOT)

Search This thread

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012
I just recently got my Note 10.1 (2014) WiFi a few days ago, but have been doing quite a bit of research. One thing I really wanted was my tablet to be... well, mobile. I could always use it at home through WiFi, but off the WiFi connection it serves very little purpose if any at all besides playing offline games, and playing offline content.

So, I did some research and found that its actually pretty easy to have Bluetooth Tether automatically enable itself and connect when you have your phone and tablet near each other.

Items needed: Android Phone, and Android Tablet

1. Download Bluetooth Auto Connect on your tablet.

2. Download Bluetooth Auto Tethering on your phone.

3. Download Tasker on your phone / Llama on the tablet. I used Tasker on my phone and found it slightly difficult to get this to work on the tablets end, so I used both Tasker and Llama to get this to work, your preference however.

4. In Tasker (which I have enabled on my phone):
Add New Task > Add Action from Plugin > Click Bluetooth Auto > If Bluetooth ~ On > Click pencil icon next to configuration > Make sure Enable Blueooth Tether is active > Save.

Once you complete this click the upper left corner "back" button twice and you should see your new "Tether" task listed on your phone.

5. In Llama (On the tablet):
Events > Click plus sign on bottom right of screen > Add Condition > Wifi Network Disconnected (any wifi network) > Add Action > Locale Plugin > Bluetooth Auto Connect > Make sure you set it to your device, in my case its the Moto X > Save.

Once you complete this, click back on your tablet and you should see the new event listed.

6. Profit

-------------------------------------------------------------

To test, disable and enable bluetooth on your phone, go into settings and check to see if tethering was activated automatically. On the tablet, enable WiFi (given you can connect to a network). Once connected to the network, disable WiFi on the tablet. It takes about 5-10 seconds to kick in, but you should connect to your phones bluetooth internet connection automatically. I ensured my phone was connected to data and not the wifi when I tested, but any connection (wifi or data) will work through tether.

Now, it might be just as easy to do this all in Llama, but its working for me using both apps. I will try to get pictures and format this better later on, but I figured I would share. Let me know if you have issues!

Last edited:

t17t

Dec 25, 2013
Tablet Talk

If I understand well...

The easiest way: install on both device the Tablet Talk app and voilá! 1 minute and it works!

;)

Last edited:

tommyz182

Jan 16, 2010
Kit Kat (4.4.2)

It was mentioned that this was used on the Galaxy Tablet 10.1 (2014). I am wondering since the new update to KitKat 4.4.2 has gone through does this still work? I ask because I was running this method with a mix of FoxFI and PDANET - Tablet, and it worked fine until the update, now its not working. So wanted to see if this method was.

Thank You,
TommyZro 182
"Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish" - Steve Jobs

johnwashere

Jun 6, 2008
Anyone know if tethering still work with these? I just bought 2 wifi models for $299 (refurbs) on ebay. We want to possibly deploy them for the business. Everyone has Droid Maxx's with unlimited data and it would be nice to tether them together. The tablets are shipped with Android 4.3 and Im afraid to upgrade to 4.4 kitkiat (I know it automatically will). Are there any kitkat tablet tethers for non rooted phones?
If not, is it possible to root the Note 10.1 and permanently stop the OTA update?

foty73

Jan 8, 2015
I followed all the steps but I cant complete the tasker part. Whenever I go in to it and try to add a new task, it prompts me to tell it what task I want to add. I dont get the option to add plug in. Am I doing something wrong?

B-Hard

Jul 14, 2011
how can i get these apps? Bluetooth Auto Tethering? Cant acess it from austria - unavailable in your country :(

Is there an apk available or so?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just recently got my Note 10.1 (2014) WiFi a few days ago, but have been doing quite a bit of research. One thing I really wanted was my tablet to be... well, mobile. I could always use it at home through WiFi, but off the WiFi connection it serves very little purpose if any at all besides playing offline games, and playing offline content.

So, I did some research and found that its actually pretty easy to have Bluetooth Tether automatically enable itself and connect when you have your phone and tablet near each other.

Items needed: Android Phone, and Android Tablet

1. Download Bluetooth Auto Connect on your tablet.

2. Download Bluetooth Auto Tethering on your phone.

3. Download Tasker on your phone / Llama on the tablet. I used Tasker on my phone and found it slightly difficult to get this to work on the tablets end, so I used both Tasker and Llama to get this to work, your preference however.

4. In Tasker (which I have enabled on my phone):
    Add New Task > Add Action from Plugin > Click Bluetooth Auto > If Bluetooth ~ On > Click pencil icon next to configuration > Make sure Enable Blueooth Tether is active > Save.

Once you complete this click the upper left corner "back" button twice and you should see your new "Tether" task listed on your phone.

5. In Llama (On the tablet):
    Events > Click plus sign on bottom right of screen > Add Condition > Wifi Network Disconnected (any wifi network) > Add Action > Locale Plugin > Bluetooth Auto Connect > Make sure you set it to your device, in my case its the Moto X > Save.

Once you complete this, click back on your tablet and you should see the new event listed.

6. Profit

-------------------------------------------------------------

To test, disable and enable bluetooth on your phone, go into settings and check to see if tethering was activated automatically. On the tablet, enable WiFi (given you can connect to a network). Once connected to the network, disable WiFi on the tablet. It takes about 5-10 seconds to kick in, but you should connect to your phones bluetooth internet connection automatically. I ensured my phone was connected to data and not the wifi when I tested, but any connection (wifi or data) will work through tether.

Now, it might be just as easy to do this all in Llama, but its working for me using both apps. I will try to get pictures and format this better later on, but I figured I would share. Let me know if you have issues!