• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] [begonia/begoniain] How to UNBRICK when stuck on preloader mode

Search This thread

adhilfuad

Dec 12, 2017
I got this error while running main.py of MTK bypass in CMD(Admin).

raise RuntimeError(Default config is missing)
RuntimeError Default config is missing

Also tried running the module in Python IDLE.
I used Python 3.7 version in Windows 7 and Python 3.9.4 in Windows 10.

LibUSB device filter installed for the MTK USB Port while the bootloop iteration.
Please help, I am weak in Programming language(python).

My device is Redmi 6. I have created a thread for this in Xiaomi Redmi 6 forum here.
main.py error.png

Last edited:

adhilfuad

Dec 12, 2017
I got this error while running main.py of MTK bypass in CMD(Admin).

raise RuntimeError(Default config is missing)
RuntimeError Default config is missing

Also tried running the module in Python IDLE.
I used Python 3.7 version in Windows 7 and Python 3.9.4 in Windows 10.

LibUSB device filter installed for the MTK USB Port while the bootloop iteration.
Please help, I am weak in Programming language(python).

My device is Redmi 6. I have created a thread for this in Xiaomi Redmi 6 forum here.
View attachment 5243901
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\ADHIL FUAD.OLD\Before Format\Unbrick\MTK BYPASS FOR STATUS_BROM_CMD_F
AIL\utility to disable bootrom protection(sla and daa)\bypass_utility-master\mai
n.py", line 213, in <module>
main()
File "D:\ADHIL FUAD.OLD\Before Format\Unbrick\MTK BYPASS FOR STATUS_BROM_CMD_F
AIL\utility to disable bootrom protection(sla and daa)\bypass_utility-master\mai
n.py", line 37, in main
raise RuntimeError("Default config is missing")
RuntimeError: Default config is missing

Attachments

• IDLE.png
    IDLE.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 90

Luthor Lynch

Jan 16, 2017
Muenchen
Code:
/*
* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
* Same statement for XDA.
*/

UPDATE 2021-02-28
There has lately been discovered a method to flash begonia/begoniain without the need of an authorised for flashing Xiaomi account. Even if one had earlier not implemented the brick protection method (factory preloader + CFW). This means that CFW is not really needed anymore and that many custom roms are moving away from it. So, in case of brick one can follow this detailed guide in order to unbrick without the need for an authorised ciaomi account for flashing. There is also an explanatory video that may be helpful for some.

UPDATE 2020-02-25
As of 24 Feb 2020 a new method has been found to help RN8p users avoid bricking their devices. It is a preventive measure and NOT a curative, as it cannot help users who haven't already flashed the specific preloader of the engineering ROM version prior to bricking. For more information see the xda thread by @Agent_fabulous.

ORIGINAL POST
I have created this thread in order to share my experience. I have a Redmi Note 8 Pro that was bricked after flashing a wrong boot.img with TWRP. No fastboot, no recovery, no vibration when pressing the power button. The phone was like dead.

The LED turned on when connected to PC with USB cable. The PC recognised the phone for 5 seconds when holding vol+ before connecting the USB cable. It was recognised as "Mediatek USB port " on Device Manager and after 5 seconds, the PC would lose the connection to the device.

It seems that when holding the vol+ button and connecting the phone to the PC with USB cable, the phone enters to DA mode and waits for a signal that is trying to flash the firmware to it. If the signal doesn't come in the first 5 seconds, the device just gets out of DA mode.

MiFlash does not recognise the phone in this state, as this program can be used only for fastboot flashing.
SP Flash tool recognises the device but returns an "ERROR: STATUS_BROM_CMD_FAIL". This is happening because one has to be logged in with an Authorised Service Account simultaneously when trying to flash with SP Flash Tool. If the authorisation passes, the program starts flashing the firmware to the device.

Requirements
1. MiFlashPro (v4.3.1106.23) downloaded on your pc. (It can be found here.)
2. The stock firmware of your device. (Warning! If you have a Chinese device you have to try with the Chinese firmware. Global device with Global firmware etc. Do not try with Global firmware on Chinese device!)
3. An authorised Service Xiaomi Acount.

The Procedure
0. Unzip your device's firmware.
1. Install MiFlashPro.
2. Navigate to (installation_directory)/MiFlashPro/SP_Flash_Tool/mi and run "account_auth.exe" (Run as administrator). In the window that opens, log in with an authorized Xiaomi Account.
3. Navigate to (installation_directory)/MiFlashPro/SP_Flash_Tool nad run "flash_tool.exe". The SP_Flash_Tool interface opens. Now you have to select the 3 files:
Download-Agent: (installation_directory)/MiFlashPro/SP_Flash_Tool/MTK_AllInOne_DA_mt6765_mt6785.bin
Scatter-loading File: You will find this one on your stock rom folder, especially on the folder called "images".
Authentication File: (installation_directory)/MiFlashPro/SP_Flash_Tool/auth_sv5.auth
4. Press the "Download" button.
5. Connect the USB cable to your PC but NOT YET to your phone.
6. Hold the vol+ button on your phone pressed and NOW connect the cable to it.
7. The program should now react and start the flashing process without giving an error.
8. Wait for the flashing process to end and enjoy!

Sidenotesee parallels between
You surely wonder where you can find an authorised Xiaomi account.
There are rumors that there are people who connect to your PC with remote-desktop programs and provide the log-in details just when they are needed during the flash process. And they get paid for it (~10-15 USD, maybe more).
Another solution would be some mobile-phone technician in you city. He/She may have an authorised account for fixing the phones locally at the store.
You may also be lucky to have a friend with an authorised account.
But I do not know of a valid way to get an authorised account for yourself at the time and age of writing.

Sidenote 2
If I remember correctly, on an older Xiaomi MTK phone, they managed to bypass the authorisation by using a modified DA file. If you don't want to pay for an authorisation service, you can wait for a while. But it is unknown if/when such a file is going to be released for Redmi Note 8 Pro.
Hello polfrank, broke my fon some days ago. Was REALLY desperate, since my fon looked like dead: no reaction when trying to start, no fastboot, no recovery, nothing.
Connecting via USB resulted in LED shining white, WIN7 wanted to install something like MT65XX-Preloader-driver, without success.
Totally SNAFU!
So it happened that I stumbled across this post and as easy as my cat scratches a dog nose, no hazzle, no probs, I couldn't believe it, but it just worked!
Oops, long post with nearly nothing said, only wanted to say:
THANK YOU, polfrank! You saved my day (and many more days) :)(y)

with best regards,
Luthor aka Ron

Reactions: polfrank

Jollld

May 9, 2017
Thank you very much, this saved me!!!
However the python part needs some reviewing
Here in win 10 i could only use that command after installing the python from the windows store,, because of how the python shortcut operates...

IronDwarf

Nov 1, 2013
When i run the libries part the Mediatek port on shows for a micro second, what am I doing wrong?

Mellody

May 8, 2021
For who got "BROM error status_brom_cmd_send_da_fail" or same error:
- Turn off your mobile phone
- Press Download (SP Button) in SP Flash Tool
- Press Volume Down on the mobile phone.
- Keep Volume Down pressed and connect to the USB
- Normally SP Flash tool starts to program and you can release the Volume Down key.
Idk but when I press v- instead of v+ it's working

rifqinf

Apr 7, 2019
Any1 can help me sir??

Cant bypass??

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 126
  • image_2021-05-10_005719.png
    image_2021-05-10_005719.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

RanjanJain

Jul 22, 2012
Hi All, I am using Redmi Note 8 Pro 8GB indian version.

Issue is "I selected clean all by mistake while flashing the phone via sp flash tool" and this erased both IMEI number of my phone.

Solution was 1. Install the Engineering ROM and then put the IMEI back using MAUI modem tool. I did that and phone was showing IMEI when dialing *#06#

Now main issue is when I try to put Stock ROM back, its not booting. Its going into Stock Recovery and showing NV Data corrupted. Now have format/erased NV RAM and NV DATA partitions using fastboot erase command. Flshed Engineering ROM again and wrote IMEI back again usingn MAUI modem tool. Its showing successful and showing IMEI back but when I flashed STOCK ROM again, same issue of booting into Recovery and showing NV Data corrupted.

Any hint about anything???

I dont have NV data partition backup.

Thanks

av.shashank

Nov 25, 2012
So guys i need your help big time !
i flashed the wrong TWRP and the wrong OS because of which my phone got hard bricked. Now there's only the light on top when i connect to my PC. i cant boot into the bootloader or the recovery. and while doing all this my phone battery was around 10% which i now found that might have cause some harm. So does the low battery thing effect the process or the phone in any way ?
Anyways , After searching a lot and watching lot of videos i found that this could be fixed by using the SP tool. So got the SP tool and got the necessary files for it . I saw that most people had the AUTH error while flashing but for me it seems to be the different error .BTW I'm using the Indian variant and i did try flashing all the different files but everyone had this same error .

So now the error is :

ERROR : STATUS_BROM_CMD_STARTCMD_FAIL.
(0xC0060001)
HINT:

Please retry the operation:
1. remove the battery and USB cable;
2. press download button on flash tool;
3. press download volume down and plug in USB cable and download pitchout battery.

So i tried removing cable and connecting again, pressing the up/down volume button and connecting different ports, pressing the download button 1st and then connecting the cable . but everything led to the same error. i couldn't find a solution for this. tried different versions of SP tool , MI flash tool . but still have the error.

After more searching around the other way to fix this is to use the EDL method , in which ill have to remove the back case and then find the EDL points after which i have to press them both and short them ? i don't even know how to do that but this seems to be the only other way i could find.

So i would gladly accept any kind of help from anyone. Any other ideas or different ways i could flash and get me back my phone. and if no other way comes then ill have to do the EDL point thing. Please help guys....
Thanks in advance.

rtstorm

Mar 30, 2013
Hello, i have done all seps and when i bypass phone i get this, i think this is ok?
1637864845053.png

then I open SP Flash and when I click Download I got this error

1637864795582.png

what is this? can anyone help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i just managed to flash it, i disconnect the battery and then it worked.
    Code:
    /*
    * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    * Same statement for XDA.
    */

UPDATE 2021-02-28
    There has lately been discovered a method to flash begonia/begoniain without the need of an authorised Xiaomi account for flashing. Even if one had earlier not implemented the brick protection method (factory preloader + CFW). This means that CFW is not really needed anymore and that many custom roms are moving away from it. So, in case of brick one can follow this detailed guide in order to unbrick without the need for an authorised Xiaomi account for flashing. There is also an explanatory video that may be helpful for some.

UPDATE 2020-02-25
    As of 24 Feb 2020 a new method has been found to help RN8p users avoid bricking their devices. It is a preventive measure and NOT a curative, as it cannot help users who haven't already flashed the specific preloader of the engineering ROM version prior to bricking. For more information see the xda thread by @Agent_fabulous.

ORIGINAL POST
    I have created this thread in order to share my experience. I have a Redmi Note 8 Pro that was bricked after flashing a wrong boot.img with TWRP. No fastboot, no recovery, no vibration when pressing the power button. The phone was like dead.

The LED turned on when connected to PC with USB cable. The PC recognised the phone for 5 seconds when holding vol+ before connecting the USB cable. It was recognised as "Mediatek USB port " on Device Manager and after 5 seconds, the PC would lose the connection to the device.

It seems that when holding the vol+ button and connecting the phone to the PC with USB cable, the phone enters to DA mode and waits for a signal that is trying to flash the firmware to it. If the signal doesn't come in the first 5 seconds, the device just gets out of DA mode.

MiFlash does not recognise the phone in this state, as this program can be used only for fastboot flashing.
    SP Flash tool recognises the device but returns an "ERROR: STATUS_BROM_CMD_FAIL". This is happening because one has to be logged in with an Authorised Service Account simultaneously when trying to flash with SP Flash Tool. If the authorisation passes, the program starts flashing the firmware to the device.

Requirements
    1. MiFlashPro (v4.3.1106.23) downloaded on your pc. (It can be found here.)
    2. The stock firmware of your device. (Warning! If you have a Chinese device you have to try with the Chinese firmware. Global device with Global firmware etc. Do not try with Global firmware on Chinese device!)
    3. An authorised Service Xiaomi Acount.

The Procedure
    0. Unzip your device's firmware.
    1. Install MiFlashPro.
    2. Navigate to (installation_directory)/MiFlashPro/SP_Flash_Tool/mi and run "account_auth.exe" (Run as administrator). In the window that opens, log in with an authorized Xiaomi Account.
    3. Navigate to (installation_directory)/MiFlashPro/SP_Flash_Tool nad run "flash_tool.exe". The SP_Flash_Tool interface opens. Now you have to select the 3 files:
    Download-Agent: (installation_directory)/MiFlashPro/SP_Flash_Tool/MTK_AllInOne_DA_mt6765_mt6785.bin
    Scatter-loading File: You will find this one on your stock rom folder, especially on the folder called "images".
    Authentication File: (installation_directory)/MiFlashPro/SP_Flash_Tool/auth_sv5.auth
    4. Press the "Download" button.
    5. Connect the USB cable to your PC but NOT YET to your phone.
    6. Hold the vol+ button on your phone pressed and NOW connect the cable to it.
    7. The program should now react and start the flashing process without giving an error.
    8. Wait for the flashing process to end and enjoy!

Sidenote
    You surely wonder where you can find an authorised Xiaomi account.
    There are rumors that there are people who connect to your PC with remote-desktop programs and provide the log-in details just when they are needed during the flash process. And they get paid for it (~10-15 USD, maybe more).
    Another solution would be some mobile-phone technician in you city. He/She may have an authorised account for fixing the phones locally at the store.
    You may also be lucky to have a friend with an authorised account.
    But I do not know of a valid way to get an authorised account for yourself at the time and age of writing.

Sidenote 2
    If I remember correctly, on an older Xiaomi MTK phone, they managed to bypass the authorisation by using a modified DA file. If you don't want to pay for an authorisation service, you can wait for a while. But it is unknown if/when such a file is going to be released for Redmi Note 8 Pro.
    hello, the solution to the problem is the battery is completely discharged until the device stops responding to any attempts to start using the key combination. unless you tried to flash a fastboot partition. the solution works after hard bricking after trying to upload incompatible twrp or other rom (I uploaded Chinese twrp on eu rom). ok, we start:
    1. holding vol - and power plug in the usb cable (the buttons are released when the notification LED changes from very bright for a moment to slightly dimmed)
    2. you will see the long unseen battery symbol with a lightning inside (i.e. a completely discharged battery, the charge status will begin to show the percentage)
    3. Turn off the USB cable at 3 percent.
    4. now an important thing - you need to start the phone only trying to enter the fastboot mode otherwise the phone will start to boot the system and get stuck again and you will have to unload it again
    5. you will finally enter the fastboot :), using only the software from xiaomi or xiaomi flash and fastboot rom

I succeeded :) after 2 weeks of waiting for it to discharge ...
    Solution

Are you okay? I brick my cell phone the redmi note 8 pro, unintentionally. I was on Android 10 I went to install another Rom Miui Android 10 and without wanting I passed the preload.fix on TWRP, then I remembered that it does not work on the Android 10 vendor, so the cell phone turned off and only the LED when connected to the PC, VIB I searched a lot and did not find a solution until I saw in a post on XDA over unplugged the battery, I dismantled the back cover of glass, the protection of the plate carefully. And I disconnected the cell phone, I connected 10 seconds later and still did not fit. Then follow the steps of this forum https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-8-pro/how-to/guide-mode-stuck-da-mode-authorised-t400043 So here's the solution it worked.

1 - Log in to account_auth.exe (even with the unauthorized account) I performed flash_tool.exe (SP flash)

2 - Configure SP Flash Choose DA, Download-Agent (Available in Mi Flash Pro Folders) I used version 4.3.1220.29) of Mi Flash Pro,

3 - Android Scatter available within the "images" folder of your device's ROM. Download the ROM for device. was CN Android 9 Miui 11.0.3. Fastboot Rom

4 - Leave Mi SP Flash ready for download (in the "Download Only" option choice "Firware Update")

5 - I disconnected the battery from the cell phone.

6 - Connected the USB cable to the computer.

7 - Connected the USB cable to the device (disconnected battery).

8 - When the computer recognizes the device, be quick to start the installation, select Download on SP Flash.

9 - The installation will start and will not stop until completely completed.

10 - While SP Flash is installing, connect the battery to the device.

11 - Ready your cell phone was recovered.
    Hi mek, My RN8 Pro now is not recovery and fastboot like yours too. May I know how you disconnected the battery? You have to disassemble your phone right? When the PC recognized your phone in fastboot mode - the screen at that time was still black or functioned normally?
    Thanks for your help

You have to disassemble the phone and yes, the screen was black. At the second vibration ( longer than the first), the pc recognized the phone in fastboot mode.

Steps.
    1- open phone
    2- disconnect the battery
    3- wait 10 seconds
    4-connect the battery
    5-Press and hold power and volume-
    6-plug to pc
    7- wait for the second vibration ( longer).
    Bricked my phone today by flashing wrong boot.img after bootloop. I was looking for the solution for about 6 hours. Xiaomi is very funny company, they sent their devices to the developers, they published source code (partial). The ideal company for developers, but when device bricks, they don't have anything to say, no solution, just nothing. Big applause for them.

PS: Didn't tried that one solution with disconnecting/fully discharging battery. Well there is another one: reverse engineering whole SP Flash Tool, which I'm kinda trying to do now.