• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GUIDE] Best Battery Life Possible

Search This thread

NaylinnMaung

Aug 2, 2011
Guys.. I'm really sad again.. and again.. and again.
The battery life (SOT) is getting worse..
I tried everything, i googled, "forumed" a lot of about this thing, but nothing helped.
The SoT is absolutely better on WiFi, but i only use wifi when i'm at home.
Look at my stats on (WiFi)--(3G+ - 4G)

This was a really light usage, a little bit waze (12 min) just for get traffic info on the route.
~about 30min of youtube backround music via wired earphones.
~little browsing: 16min
~I took 4-5pic
And yeah, EX Kernel Manager just fcked up for some random reason, I don't know why, but whatever, that's it:
2h 30m SoT

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

I think, LG ruined my battery with Nougat 7.0, maybe I have to buy a brand new battery? I must have use this phone for 1 yeah, but I'll never buy an LG mobile in the future.

right now, are your on oreo or nougat?

darek1995

Jun 22, 2017
right now, are your on oreo or nougat?

I'm actually on a rooted stock oreo.
I'm started using Accubattery (Pro) from today, i want to know my battery's health/capacity, and this is the only way to do this.
Now I using Titanium Backup instead of Package Disabler, and using lower CPU clocks, let's see what'll be happen.

supersonicsensei

May 19, 2018
Cropped camera window

The phone seems snappier than before, though I'm not sure about battery improvements. Have to test more. One problem I have is the camera window gets cropped. Even though I've set it to 4:3, it's showing me a ~16:9 viewfinder.

darek1995

Jun 22, 2017

lorikeet

Jul 16, 2012
Guys.. I'm really sad again.. and again.. and again.
The battery life (SOT) is getting worse..
I tried everything, i googled, "forumed" a lot of about this thing, but nothing helped.
The SoT is absolutely better on WiFi, but i only use wifi when i'm at home.
Look at my stats on (WiFi)--(3G+ - 4G)

This was a really light usage, a little bit waze (12 min) just for get traffic info on the route.
~about 30min of youtube backround music via wired earphones.
~little browsing: 16min
~I took 4-5pic
And yeah, EX Kernel Manager just fcked up for some random reason, I don't know why, but whatever, that's it:
2h 30m SoT

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

I think, LG ruined my battery with Nougat 7.0, maybe I have to buy a brand new battery? I must have use this phone for 1 yeah, but I'll never buy an LG mobile in the future.
Looking at your screenshot, it appears your signal strength is low. If signal strength is not good, RF power output will be increased to compensate which might drain the battery.

adorable

May 29, 2012
https://ibb.co/QpFG11w

Just as a baseline for those comparing methods to save battery life running opera mini for a few hours with data saving and ad block on on 4g lte T-Mobile.

H873 on 8.0 h = 5~ hours Screen on time.

Always on display on
Auto brightness on
Wifi, bt, location, sync off.

No energy hogging social apps like fb, insta.
Only Twitter and line. Twitter has all notifications, background updates off.
Disabled most of the installed apps I don't use - Google mostly (search, news, music, games, gboard, etc) and many of the other preinstalled like fb, evernote.
Auto sync disabled globally.

Only Line checking, T-Mobile Tuesday's notifications allowed in background..else, turned off in other apps.

In location , Only GPS allowed, not cell tower!
For Google maps, NO Google location allowed (cell tower). Yes,.you'll get a pop-up asking each time you start maps, click disable, but the moment you allow Google to get precision location, everything including play store starts sucking up location (battery) info in the background all the time.

Only turn on location when using maps, else turn off.
Google play - no auto update check, no play protect checking, no auto updating. Let Google auto anything and it'll suck up battery life.

Installed office, skype, onedrive, office lens, Firefox, edge, line, k9 email, opera, opera mini, here maps, as major apps - auto anything / background turned off in all of them.

Everyday, run smart cleaning to clear memory and kill background apps.

All that has been all I've done for other phones I've owned.
Heavy daily web browsing pushing 40+GB/month (without videos, music) - just web, email, Line mostly. Some music and navigation daily - 1 hour or less.

The LG G6 does have "Mini Mode" where you swipe left or right across the buttons at the bottom of the screen, and it'll shrink the display to a sizeable, smaller display for one-handed use (activate in settings).

Might this be the same/similar as reducing the resolution in adb?....

Looneer

Apr 22, 2011
I installed v20i OTA update on the 1st April and my battery has been atrocious for the past 2-3 days (it loses 5%/hour with the screen off). I've had the phone since July 2018 as a replacement for my LG G4.

I so wish I could get a good phone with a removable battery.

granazias

Nov 22, 2014
LG V30
LG V50 ThinQ
I installed v20i OTA update on the 1st April and my battery has been atrocious for the past 2-3 days (it loses 5%/hour with the screen off). I've had the phone since July 2018 as a replacement for my LG G4.

I so wish I could get a good phone with a removable battery.

Did you try a hard reset after the new update?
I know it's very annoying to set up your phone from scratch,but in such cases is the only way to fix any issues after updates.
The same happened to me in the past after a security update,and after hard reset everything worked as they should..even the battery times were better.

Reactions: Looneer

Looneer

Apr 22, 2011
Did you try a hard reset after the new update?
I know it's very annoying to set up your phone from scratch,but in such cases is the only way to fix any issues after updates.
The same happened to me in the past after a security update,and after hard reset everything worked as they should..even the battery times were better.

Good shout and I might go this route if none of the remedies in this thread work out (I didn't need them before this week). Cheers.

Tag49

Apr 13, 2013
Pie is awful for my battery, and you ?

Hi,

I followed all this guide before with android 7 and then 8, and my SoT was only about ~3h30, it was awful. I never managed to obtain a correct battery life (and I am not a hard user : no social media app, no games, a lot of features are disabled).

So I did the Pie stock update yesterday.
My battery life just melt away overnight.
Check that : with Pie, only 2h20 of SoT ! :confused::crying:
And I did a factory reset.
How is it possible ?

So I just put again resolution to 1080, hopping to gain 1h of SoT...

Remark : regarding disabling LDB and Log Service, with Pie it was disabled by default, I did not remember if it was the case before.

I only have the phone since 1 year and half and I really trust that battery is damaged / faulty. But several app are saying that battery is "good"...

PS : btw, I did not manage to find the option to wipe cache/data, seems it's only possible to do a factory reset now

Last edited:

Tag49

Apr 13, 2013
2 others remarks regarding this guide :

1. In the secret dialer ("*#546368#*870#") > SVC MENU > Battery test, I noticed interesting thing, and I would like to know if other people have same behavior :
    battery_logs.jpg
    Have a look at the last row : Charge now raw / charge full
    It seems the max is 3149000. I guess it's the max mAh of the battery, so officially it's 3.300 mAh.
    When I charge my phone and the battery reaches 100%, I noticed that in fact it was not 3149000/3149000. It was something like 3026000/3149000. I left it plugged in longer, and it has exceeded the limit of 3149000.
    Quite strange.
    Is there other people here with 3149000 value ?

• I changed resolution to 1080x2160 and I adjusted the DPI to 500.
    But now when I take screenshot, they are like "zoomed". In fact there is only a small part of the screen in the screenshot.
    I did not have this issue before with Oreo.

Kaioh_shin

Dec 15, 2011
apslgRe.jpg

Initially I thought mine is worse at 2874000, but it actually charged to almost the full amount.
We need to re calibrate the battery.

Battery cycle is 737
Condition still Good

The zoom effect is "normal", happens to everyone and I haven't seen a fix. You have to live with it, which was a deal breaker for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there fellow modifiers!
    I have gathered the best tips and tricks to get the best battery life on our loved LG G6.
    All this methods were made on a H870S non rooted phone so anyone can do it.
    Post gets constantly updated with more tricks, so keep coming!​

Reduce resolution to 1080p and adjust DPI for comfortable view: (AOD gets messy so you are better off disabling it)

1) Connect phone via adb and activate debugging.

2) Execute this command and select the resolution you want.

"adb shell wm size 1080x2160" THIS MAKES YOUR PHONE RUN IN 1080 NATIVE RESOLUTION.(tested and works wonders)
    "adb shell wm size 720x1440" HAVEN'T TESTED THIS ONE, IF YOU DO COMMENT.

If you need the original resolution just run:
    "adb shell wm size 1440x2880"

3) Run this command to adjust DPI(screen scaling).

"adb shell wm density 500" SLIGHTLY SMALLER.
    "adb shell wm density 400" EVEN SMALLER. THE ONE I LIKE WHILE USING 1080P
    "adb shell wm density 300" COULD WORK GOOD WITH 720P.

If you need the original resolution just run:
    "adb shell wm density 640" THE ORIGINAL WITH 1440P.(or the three options on "app scaling are 544/640/720)

DON'T TOUCH APP SCALING BECAUSE IT WILL MODIFY THIS.

4) Reboot if needed.

Deactivate/Debloat the phone as much as possible.

Just go to settings > Apps and start searching for deactivable system apps.

Secret menu

Disabling LDB

1) Open Dialer and type "*#546368#*870#" where "870" is your model number.
    A "secret menu" should appear, if not search for your secret code.

2) Go to "SVC Menu"
    3) Go to "LDB"
    4) Untick the "enable". It should then say below it "MLT will not run after booting.

DON'T CLOSE THE MENU STILL.

Disabling Log Service.
    1) Go back from the previous menu.
    2) Go to "Log Service"
    3) Tap 2 times on "Log enable". It should enable and then disable again all logs, cleaning them in the process.
    4) Exit menu.

Disable Always on Display.

Settings > Display > Always on Display.

Disable Wifi/Bluetooth scanning while off.

Go to Settings > location> three dots > scanning > Bluetooth scanning and Wifi scanning.

Disable "Find my Device" under Phone Administrators if you don't use it.

Settings > Fingerprints & Security > Phone Administrators​

Disable Excess "Trust Agents".
    Settings > Fingerprints & Security > Trust Agents. (I personally never use nor "LG Face recognition" or "Smart Lock (google) so i disable them)​

Disable Alarming Flash if On.

Settings> Accessibility> listening> Alarming flash​

Use Greenify to "Doze" the Battery-Hog Apps.

Just download "Greenify" from play store and follow instructions given on app.​

Turn on Battery Saver.
    Thus far, I can safely say that my battery life has overall improved after updating to Oreo. I use my device very heavily, so it may be better or worse for you depending on how you use yours.

The best I've been able to get is roughly 4 hours SoT. When you factor in constantly disconnecting from a bad wifi connection, graphically-intense gaming and music playing in the background almost constantly, this is good.

In the same conditions in Nougat, my SoT has increased by about an hour. Remember that there are new settings to play around with in Oreo that improve battery life that I haven't fully utilized yet.

I will gladly answer any other questions about the update itself.
    I know people like to carp about the standby drain, but what really matters is endurance for heavy use, and I had a "real life" test.
    I had to take my wife to the hospital at 3 AM (she's OK now). I took my charged phone with me. During the hours in the emergency room, waiting for tests, admission to the inpatient surgical ward, I was almost constantly messaging, getting calls, checking email and internet out of boredom, etc. I came home the next day at 6.30 PM-- 15 1/2 hours later of fairly heavy use. I had 40% left on the battery.
    What else can you ask for?
    I know some people want their phones to get 2 days without charging but that is unusual. As far as I'm concerned, if I can be disconnected from a charger from a long, heavy day and not worry--and recharge at night---that's good enough for me!
    I'm also in those kinds of values. I really don't know how can someone get 6 hours of SoT in G6...
    But i want it... :D

So after factory resetting, restoring my backup, debloating (via ADB), following what this thread says, essentially turning off everything in my G6 that makes it a smartphone, and running multiple cycles (100%-5% battery 3-4x) my previously degrading battery life....DEGRADED WAY MORE LOL. I had 6h and 57m of SoT across 35 hours in the final cycle where i was essentially doing the bare minimum. Little bit of browsing, and videos. Messenger/Whatsapps etc. Sounds impressive right? Except for the fact i was running like only 25% brightness with BATTERY SAVER on top of this light usage.

Okay so, instead.....i did the normal simple approach of just factory resetting AND not restoring my backup (and doing some simple UI tweaks). Instead i moved everything to my external storage and downloaded a few apps first and second cycle. And the results are marvelous. The attached screenshots are with the G6 at its full fkin glory. NO BATTERY SAVER(except for last 10%)/AOD/QHD+/Google Assistant. It literally feels like a new phone again LOL. I had fairly moderate usage with screen brightness staying well over the measly 25% while watching a fkton of anime, using chrome to check emails/reddit and youtube for e3 stuff. Additionally, mixed usage of speakers/bluetooth headphones/wifi. And well look at that, over 6 hours just like good old times ^.^ Honestly im not going to even bother debloating (via ADB). I would rather just not take that risk, and losing my current battery life. I would prefer just doing this sort of reset every 3 months or so.

Phone idle - 0.63%/h
    Crunchyroll - 66 min @ 14%
    Chrome - 53 min @ 7%
    youtube - 17 min @ 1%

Oh and i would also like to note Android system/OS and has dropped massively. I was getting around 20 to 25% consumption before. Now its 14%.
    ^.^
    Is the guide for changing 1080 resolution also works for unrooted phone
    Yeh, i did it on mine and is not rooted.

I am getting easily close to 7hs SOT and 0% drain during 13hr night.