[Guide] Boost Cell Signal to Max & Force CA/Volte/Vowifi if avail from Stock ROM

Search This thread

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
This little trick will change your measly 1 bar signal to nearly max bars and give you a solid consistent signal in places you normally would hardly have a connection. At least it did for me.

This goes a bit beyond enabling VoLTE from your SIM Card Network settings which if you haven't done you should enable before trying this... Of course you may not have the same results I had. I found it works best from Stock ROM no root needed I'm currently on 9.0.12 but tried it on 9.0.11 and Beta 5.

Like any mod you should make a backup now and proceed with caution. (By caution I mean don't deviate from instructions goofing around in any engineering mode is never wise)

You should try check your internet speed now (Google internet speed! And take note of it then run the same test to see if your able to improve at all.

Step 1: Optional step but for best results open dialer and type: *#*#4636#*#* From this Testing Menu select Phone Information. Once in phone info select LTE/UMTS auto (prl) for preferred Network type. Then scroll down a bit and make sure VoLTE is switched on. Exit the phone info screen.

Step 2: Open Dialer again and type: *#800#
A Warning Message to Engineering Mode will popup. Press Enter.

Step 3: Click on the first option Called OnePlusLogKit
Once in the LogKit scroll down until you see the menu called: FunctionSwitch now click and select it.

Step 4: There's 3 checkboxes of interest in this menu... VoLTE Switch, VoWifi Switch and VT Switch. I enable all three but some may have better luck not enabling VT Switch. After enabling each option it'll try and reboot your phone just say no until you have all you want enabled.

Now reboot and profit.

I can tell you without a doubt that if your using a stock OOS Rom and using TMobile as your provider that these changes will not eat up your battery any more than normal and altho depending on your location and towers speed availability this can and will increase your overall speed and your ability to maintain a solid connection in low signal areas! It forces carrier aggration meaning it makes the modem in your phone connect multiple times over varied frequencies to achieve the highest level of connection. Like your old 4g phone x 3 up to 6 put together. So your speeds can be 600% improved. Of course the phone is technically supposed to do this on its own which it can occasionally but only in absolutely optimal situations. So not when you really need it too. Lol. So altho it might not work on carriers without this tech or overseas if u live in North America and use TMobile this will drastically help your phone whether you instantly notice it or not trust me it does!
f you notice anything negative or battery draining or your phone becomes even more radioactive simply go back into the menu and disable the Functions. If this helped you at all throw me a like. Enjoy.

Last edited:

bladestonez

Mar 9, 2011
Omg you have saved me. A million thanks. I switched to TMobile after getting this phone and the internet speed has been utterly garbage I've been going through hell with tech support trying to get useable speed. As you can see this made a world of difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190301-134243.png
    Screenshot_20190301-134243.png
    222.9 KB · Views: 10,334

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
Same...

Omg you have saved me. A million thanks. I switched to TMobile after getting this phone and the internet speed has been utterly garbage I've been going through hell with tech support trying to get useable speed. As you can see this made a world of difference.

Wow judging by your screenshot that's like 600% increase in service/speed!! ;) Glad that I could help! I was in exactly the same spot you were in. For the life of me couldn't figure out why my Moto e got better service out here in the boonies I'm lucky to get a bar at that time.... Tried countless different methods techniques and apps with no success. Finally I talked T-Mobile into sending me a signal booster but that would only Boost whatever signal it could pickup itself.... So I have it 50yards from the house with an extension cable in a sealed bucket wrapped in towels just to get around 2-4mbs a sec download speeds n that was shotty every blizzard id get no service or **** would blow over n grounds frozen so unless I want to pay $150 for internet I can't watch anything n my son couldn't play his Fortnite.... I finally figured it out a couple days ago n haven't noticed any negative or side effects from the mod. If I get into an area with LTE+ and CA I can go faster than my buddies AT&T5Ge lol or around 130Mbs but before the hack in the same spot I'd average around 15mbs. I'm curious if people are having speed improvements with WiFi signals I don't have a good one so I couldn't test it. I can confirm flashing the Oos based custom roms or Magisk ROMs either before or after greatly slows/lags/retards signal quality and speed. I'm going to work on a ROM that doesn't and also has tethering throttle bypass built in... I'm thinking the reasons they slow everything down is because their all overseas ports rather than base it off a 6t stock.... Anyways thanks again for sharing ur results bladestonez and I
Appreciate the screenshot!:laugh::good::victory:

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
Is there a way to do this ob pixel 2 xl?

I'm sure there is to some extent as long as the device has a newer qcom modem and supports Carrier Aggregation & VoLTE in theory this would work for it. But without having the device to test with I couldn't tell you how to do it. Your probably gonna b messing around with dialer codes that lead to engineering modes. Sorry wish my Pixel2 didn't run off last year I'd be a lot more help.:crying:

ma678

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto, ON
Why has to be LTE/UMTS? Mine has everything enabled except network type is LTE/WCDMA. It seems there is not too much difference.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
It doesn't.

Why has to be LTE/UMTS? Mine has everything enabled except network type is LTE/WCDMA. It seems there is not too much difference.
Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk

For all intensive purposes step 1 isn't necessary but if your using tmobile I've found that it will give you a more solid and reliable connection. But ur right this is an optional step however like @sonic1675 said unless your using Verizon or some cdmaish why have anything cdma related enabled? For step one any network type is allowed. But for TMO from my own personal experiences I prefer to use the LTE/umts but to each his own :) real question is did the mod work well on your Wcdma/LTE setup? :confused:

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
It's 4Anyone.

@humblehyper Verizon is fine to try it with. If u could do a before and after speed test comparison with screenshots to show your fellow vzw folk it works that'd be awesome.

But yeah this mod will work on OnePlus 4,5, 6/6t any carrier any location as long as the engineering apps are accessible and the same as the lay out describe...

Last edited:

WillowTree

Sep 12, 2018
I'm sure there is to some extent as long as the device has a newer qcom modem and supports Carrier Aggregation & VoLTE in theory this would work for it. But without having the device to test with I couldn't tell you how to do it. Your probably gonna b messing around with dialer codes that lead to engineering modes. Sorry wish my Pixel2 didn't run off last year I'd be a lot more help.:crying:

I appreciate that you atleast answered. I do want a oneplus 6t but waiting for a good deal to buy it for.

Do you know anybody i can get help from?

shdw03

Jun 18, 2011
Tmo here. I get better service without the VT

Last 2 test disabled vs previous 3 enabled vs previous 2 disabled

Thanks for the tip... Now to try by work... My first couple test scores

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190302-001955.jpg
    Screenshot_20190302-001955.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 5,604

SpasilliumNexus

Jan 23, 2013
Delaware
www.last.fm
I'm also on T-Mobile and followed the guide. Definite improvement with download speeds, upload is still meh.

All 4 tests are done in the same location, the top 2 are the results after making the changes, and the result at the very top in orange (?) is single mode testing because I use AdGuard.

In case anyone is wondering why my Speedtest app looks different, it's because I use a smaller display size.

EDIT: Fixed screenshot upload, as AdGuard for some reason broke it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190302-061652.jpg
    Screenshot_20190302-061652.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 2,703
Last edited:
Reactions: Harishwarrior

Caltinpla

Sep 16, 2014
Garden State
Did anyone try to check if VoLTE/VoWifi work after doing this? I have an unlocked Tmo variant but converted to OOS with active dual sim cards and I lost internet everytime while on a call. I was curious to try but did not work for me. I might be wrong but I think this trick might help ppl with single sim card or with other carriers like AT&T and Verizon from another forum here https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6t/help/att-verizon-volte-vowifi-calling-t3860031.

rognlorie

Mar 18, 2016
Amory, MS
This little trick will change your measly 1 bar signal to nearly max bars and give you a solid consistent signal in places you normally would hardly have a connection. At least it did for me.

This goes a bit beyond enabling VoLTE from your SIM Card Network settings which if you haven't done you should enable before trying this... Of course you may not have the same results I had. I found it works best from Stock ROM no root needed I'm currently on 9.0.12 but tried it on 9.0.11 and Beta 5.

Like any mod you should make a backup now and proceed with caution. (By caution I mean don't deviate from instructions goofing around in any engineering mode is never wise)

You should try check your internet speed now (Google internet speed! And take note of it then run the same test to see if your able to improve at all.

Step 1: Optional step but for best results open dialer and type: *#*#4636#*#* From this Testing Menu select Phone Information. Once in phone info select LTE/UMTS auto (prl) for preferred Network type. Then scroll down a bit and make sure VoLTE is switched on. Exit the phone info screen.

Once in the LogKit scroll down until you see the menu called: FunctionSwitch now click and select it.

Step 4: There's 3 checkboxes of interest in this menu... VoLTE Switch, VoWifi Switch and VT Switch. I enable all three but some may have better luck not enabling VT Switch. After enabling each option it'll try and reboot your phone just say no until you have all you want enabled.

Now reboot and profit.

If you notice anything negative or battery draining or your phone becomes even more radioactive simply go back into the menu and disable the Functions. If this helped you at all throw me a like. Enjoy.
Wow!! Works like a charm!!!

Reactions: gigilie

Maxbmwe53

Jun 25, 2017
Buenos Aires
Will this work with any operator, or t-mobile only? I'm from Argentina, here i have Claro and no VoLTE, VoWiFi and nothing like that.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
On VZW I was on and have tested this previously, LTE/TD-SCDMA/UMTS as this was the default. It performed fine. I switched to LTE/UMTS, the signal/speed is basically identical.

Default bands are usually 13 with both primary and neighbor but sometimes switches to band 4 or vanishes as only a primary and no neighbor on both settings. So, obviously just telling the radio it can use TC-SCDMA even CDMALess makes no difference since my SIM and phone is provisioned by VZW to only use LTE/UMTS anyway.

So going from LTE/TC-SCDMA/UMTS to LTE/UMTS Auto (PRL) from the original doesn't really do anything for the tower it connects to for me personally or speeds.

Also, the other tweaks did nothing but make things slower in the other menu.

ysfk7

Nov 28, 2017
Error: "Connection problem or invalid MMI code" after dialing *#800#. any idea? tia

unlocked TMO OP6t, converted to Int'l OOS 0.0.12 Dual Sim

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Now reboot and profit.

I can tell you without a doubt that if your using a stock OOS Rom and using TMobile as your provider that these changes will not eat up your battery any more than normal and altho depending on your location and towers speed availability this can and will increase your overall speed and your ability to maintain a solid connection in low signal areas! It forces carrier aggration meaning it makes the modem in your phone connect multiple times over varied frequencies to achieve the highest level of connection. Like your old 4g phone x 3 up to 6 put together. So your speeds can be 600% improved. Of course the phone is technically supposed to do this on its own which it can occasionally but only in absolutely optimal situations. So not when you really need it too. Lol. So altho it might not work on carriers without this tech or overseas if u live in North America and use TMobile this will drastically help your phone whether you instantly notice it or not trust me it does!
    f you notice anything negative or battery draining or your phone becomes even more radioactive simply go back into the menu and disable the Functions. If this helped you at all throw me a like. Enjoy.
    OK. I'm talking about LTE/UMTS auto (prl): I don't remember which was the default status.
    PS - This is not working for mobile operators which doesn't provide VoLTE, as in my case. Vodafone Romania doesn't have VoLTE. When I made the speed test, the phone connected to an Orange server due to VoLTE setup.
    Here is the OP default preferred network settings
    Error: "Connection problem or invalid MMI code" after dialing *#800#. any idea? tia

unlocked TMO OP6t, converted to Int'l OOS 0.0.12 Dual Sim
    Use stock dialer. Google dialer doesn't work.
    Same...

Wow judging by your screenshot that's like 600% increase in service/speed!! ;) Glad that I could help! I was in exactly the same spot you were in. For the life of me couldn't figure out why my Moto e got better service out here in the boonies I'm lucky to get a bar at that time.... Tried countless different methods techniques and apps with no success. Finally I talked T-Mobile into sending me a signal booster but that would only Boost whatever signal it could pickup itself.... So I have it 50yards from the house with an extension cable in a sealed bucket wrapped in towels just to get around 2-4mbs a sec download speeds n that was shotty every blizzard id get no service or **** would blow over n grounds frozen so unless I want to pay $150 for internet I can't watch anything n my son couldn't play his Fortnite.... I finally figured it out a couple days ago n haven't noticed any negative or side effects from the mod. If I get into an area with LTE+ and CA I can go faster than my buddies AT&T5Ge lol or around 130Mbs but before the hack in the same spot I'd average around 15mbs. I'm curious if people are having speed improvements with WiFi signals I don't have a good one so I couldn't test it. I can confirm flashing the Oos based custom roms or Magisk ROMs either before or after greatly slows/lags/retards signal quality and speed. I'm going to work on a ROM that doesn't and also has tethering throttle bypass built in... I'm thinking the reasons they slow everything down is because their all overseas ports rather than base it off a 6t stock.... Anyways thanks again for sharing ur results bladestonez and I
    Appreciate the screenshot!:laugh::good::victory: