[Guide][Bricked][Unbrick][ZE551ML][ZE550ML] Black screen,No fastboot,Rec. vib only

Search This thread

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar
This is not relevant ;)
If people have 'continuing to os'
Isoc Drivers are installed correctly already ;)
Otherwise , xFSTK wouldn't open or give blank screen ;)

Lots of people struggling with ' continuing to os'
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70178707&postcount=425

you are right @timbernot but i have tried to help multiple users remotely. lot of them had installed wrong kind of intel dnx driver somehow. i don't know how they get it. may be either they did not power cycle the device after installing soc driver and before installing xFSTK. because if someone do not power cycle the device before installing xFSTK. it replaces drivers with inbuilt drivers in xFSTK. but users do not read guide properly. they just skip lines amusing that it is a basic kind of info.

Reactions: timbernot

timbernot

Sep 20, 2013
N/W UK
Never had that problem here on windows 10 , heaven knows what it takes to feck it up tho :D , but then reading last few days peoples replies to other topics ;) ................anything and everything is possible to go wrong

timbernot

Sep 20, 2013
N/W UK
Just tried every conceivable method to try to replicate incorrect driver installation , cannot get it to install incorrectly , it either installs or doesn't , when it doesn't , xfstk will not open here on windows 10.
My method , quickest .
Disable driver enforcement . Windows 10 ..google it
Install isoc driver , where it says connect phone and power cycle it , do it ...but don't go any further .
Then PC installation on task bar shows ( fills very slow)
Reboot PC , it will tell you your isoc driver installation isn't set up yet ( ignore)
Restart PC , power cycle phone when PC starts to set up ...isoc driver installs .
Every time ;)

skyangel84

Jan 30, 2017
Have you installed xFSTK downloader ?
Does it open up after running as administrator ?
Can you install the files into xFSTK ?
Can you put phone on wall charger for a while and does the back of the phone get warm ?
4 questions

Hi, i have installed xFSTK downloaded.
yes, i can open xFSTK up when logging in as administrator
yes, it seems that the phone is charging still

for intelSOC mode, after plugging in phone and holding power for 10 to 20secs, i press vol down and power, i do not see ?MOOREFIELD? connected BUT there was few times i see on the taskbar saying unknown usb device connected.

any helps will be much appreciated

aryan531

Jan 1, 2017

for intelSOC mode, after plugging in phone and holding power for 10 to 20secs, i press vol down and power, i do not see ?MOOREFIELD? connected BUT there was few times i see on the taskbar saying unknown usb device connected.

buddy first open and select files on xFSTK then click on download when you see waiting for devices then plug cabke to the phine and dont press any button.... its automatically goes on ?MOOREFIELD? mode... but be sure when you Connect your phone to the pc make sure its switched off

p.s : to switch off press power button 10 to 15 secs...

Reactions: skyangel84

timbernot

Sep 20, 2013
N/W UK

Check the first 2:17 mins of my unbrick video in my signature below, see if you are in the right section [ bla bla +CRC] where settings need to be modified at 18:30mins into the video too.
When all files are in. And settings above are correct to what is shown at 18:30 mins
Connect phone , press download..
Press and keep pressed power till the first of two buzzes.then release power.
Hit download again at the same time as you release power

Last edited:
Reactions: skyangel84

linuxiano85

Mar 11, 2014
Casoria/Napoli
Have you sorted this out yet ?
Hello, a few things :-
1 Have you ever had this device working ? or did you receive it in this condition ?
2 Can you confirm you are in the correct section with the settings modified eg, the box ending in [ bla bla +CRC ] ?
3 where it says >" 14:21:44 - XFSTK-STATUS--Firmware download completed. Continuing to OS... " Can you immediately press and keep pressed power button until 2 buzzes then release and then do the same immediately( basically powering off and on before it reaches #20)
4 Also , at the beginning of the flash -- power cycle the fone , so just as you feel the first of the two buzzes release power Then - press download in xFSTK at the same time and attempt number 3
5 After a few attempts , if met with failure ...leave connected to pc -- xfstk open for approx 20 mins and begin your usual flash
6 Let us know here when this above succeeds :D:good:

I too have this problem. My Zenfone no vibration and connects to the PC only as moorefielde device device.
I tried with gpflag 0x80000807 and 0x800000807 but no result. reboots and black screen and no vibration.
just end the flash shows the message Firmware download completed. Continuing to OS ... and the phone is switched off completely.

Attachments

• Cattura.PNG
    Cattura.PNG
    1.9 KB · Views: 60
  • xfstklog_dom_5._feb_11-24-57_2017.txt
    45.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

aryan531

Jan 1, 2017
I too have this problem. My Zenfone no vibration and connects to the PC only as moorefielde device device.
I tried with gpflag 0x80000807 and 0x800000807 but no result. reboots and black screen and no vibration.
just end the flash shows the message Firmware download completed. Continuing to OS ... and the phone is switched off completely.

buddy your log shows that you are using wrong gp value... you are using 5 zero's. Instead of 4 zero's u should try with 4 zero's and dont forget to tick gp value override ;)

and if you again facing issues report here... :fingers-crossed:

linuxiano85

Mar 11, 2014
Casoria/Napoli
buddy your log shows that you are using wrong gp value... you are using 5 zero's. Instead of 4 zero's u should try with 4 zero's and dont forget to tick gp value override ;)

and if you again facing issues report here... :fingers-crossed:

even with 4 zeros the result does not change. Using a PC with Windows 10, I also tried it on another PC with windows 7 but no change.

Attachments

• xfstklog_dom_5._feb_19-05-38_2017.txt
    47.3 KB · Views: 14

timbernot

Sep 20, 2013
N/W UK
If you are not getting vibration , battery will be too low .
Charge phone for a full day repeat what you already been doing , reverting between the 4 and 5 zeros.
If not enough power to vibrate , there won't be enoght power to reach bootloader ;)
If device gets warm on charger , its charging .

walidKr

Nov 13, 2016
Flashing Firmware Without AFT:
Problem in line 5 :
5. fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
error : cannot load "partition.tbl"

Last edited by a moderator:

linuxiano85

Mar 11, 2014
Casoria/Napoli
Charge phone for a full day repeat what you already been doing , reverting between the 4 and 5 zeros.
If not enough power to vibrate , there won't be enoght power to reach bootloader ;)

It makes no difference whether the mark when off or in moorefiel mode?

linuxiano85

Mar 11, 2014
Casoria/Napoli

no good news, I put in charging the phone for almost two days but no vibration. I also dismantled and removed the battery for one hour but nothing changed. the non-illuminated screen and always black, with xFSTK the end there is always written Firmware download completed Continuing to OS. This problem happened because I wanted to be LineageOS back to stock firmware and I flashed bootloader recovery and stock to ZE550ML_Modder V3.3.

timbernot

Sep 20, 2013
N/W UK

linuxiano85

Mar 11, 2014
Casoria/Napoli
@linuxiano85

Did device get warm while charging ?

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

https://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/help/thead-bricked-phone-updating-to-mm-tips-t3452785/post70178707

And check my ubricking thread in my signature , there's a vid there using the download technique from the first link above , see if you are doing something wrong.
Although , if got warm , vibration should be back .

My device does not heat up even after several hours charging

windi alone

Feb 9, 2017
still 4 color

can i ask...
i try 3 time to my zenfoe 2 but its still 4 color.....
cannot get in to bootloader...:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who bricked their phone and facing any of the following issue (Black screen, vibrating only, no fastboot, unable to start, unable to install firmware etc.)
    If you got No Fastboot, No recovery, No Display, hard bricked your device.You must perform sequential steps indicated below, process will include many small steps. Plz make sure to perform all steps in same sequence and same manner as prescribed. Remove all drivers related to mobile you have installed earlier.

Step 1: Install the Intel Soc USB driver:

(if you are using windows 8 or 10. it is very important to disable driver signature enforcement. see the sections related to your windows below. (note: if you will reboot pc after disabling it will be enabled again)).

This Is the driver which help a computer connecte to your Zen2 IntelSoc mode. To install these driver you need to perform special steps if you are using windows 8 / 8.1, 10 . you need to disable driver signature enforcement before installing drivers. below i have mentioned steps needed to install driver for various versions of windows. but first download the needed driver from link given below.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwR0JGeFI2U3FUZ2c

Step 1.1 - how to install these drivers:

(Note: if you see the image like below attached thumbnail and you click install software any way 2 times means drivers are installed correctly. if you don't see image below while installation it means you need to disable driver signature enforcement)

If you're using Windows 7:

Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".
    Make The installation steps as usual until you see a small window "Windows Security" requires authentication settings then click on the "install this driver software anyway"

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2 for connecting IntelSoc.

If you're using Windows 8 / 8.1 :
    On Keyboard press Windows + I to show charm bar in the right corner,
    click on the option setting. Choose "Change PC Settings" to enter the PC Settings.
    Choose the General tab and navigate to Advanced Startup section, continue click Restart now.
    This will reboot windows and allows you access to the advanced mode, now select the following options: Troubleshoot - -Startup Settings Advanced Options and then click the Restart button to restart the computer.

now you will see screen with various options numbered from 1. Find disable driver signature enforcement. And press the appropriate number on keyboard your pc will reboot

Now Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".
    Make The installation steps as usual until you see a small window "Windows Security" requires authentication settings then click on the "install this driver software anyway"

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2

If you're using Windows 10 :

On Keyboard press Windows + I or click Start, select Settings.
    In The Settings window, select the Update & security.
    Continue Choose recovery and then advanced startup and click "Restart now".
    When The computer has access to the Advanced screen you will see screen with various options numbered from 1. Find disable driver signature enforcement. And press the appropriate number on keyboard your pc will reboot

Now Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2

1.2 Connect Zenfone with computer IntelSoc Mode:

Now you must complete this step before installing xfstk downloader. it helps to setup device's connection to PC

on your pc open device manager and find Intel Soc.
    Click to expand it. You will see a single option under here.
    Connect your phone to computer via USB cable,

now back to the phone, hold power button for 10 seconds to shutdown completely, then press simultaneously the key "power" + "volume down", until phone vibrates. Or computer makes detection sound, wait a few seconds. it will add an item immediately below intelSoC in device manager ?MOOREFIELD? new devices is connected successful.

Now Download intel android USB Driver and install normally from link below:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwSU5CdDNuUElEcUE

( only after installing the above driver with correct steps and connecting Soc then only install xFSTK).

Step: 2 Installing xfstk-downloader:

installation of xFSTK is very simple. download xFSTK setup from the link below. to install. right click the setup file and run as Administrator. click next next simply until you finish the installation process
    Here is the download link:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRweDdfMjlPOGEyTW8
    Now to Unbrick Process.

( only after installing the above driver with correct steps) go ahead to unbrick process.

Unbrick Process:

-The Necessary files:
    ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwV0QyWFRXbjMxaFk

ZE550ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwY1AyLUdKdkI3OWM

After downloading the necessary files extract it. it will contain 3 files:- dnx_fwr.bin, ifwi.bin, droidboot_dnx.img.POS_sign.bin.

-Run XFSTK Downloader as Administrator, click the second tab at bottom MRD A0 / B0 + MOOR A0 + CRC .

-Then Go to Options to change the value in the Value Section Override Flag GP 0x80000807. Tick GP value over ride, change device detection time out value to 220 and Click OK is complete initial preparation. (important note: never use wrong gp flag value it may complicate things)

+ First select Firmware files FW DnX: and IFWI: by clicking small three dots:- IFWI DNX 2 dnx_fwr.bin and ifwi.bin file.
    + Now select operating system : skip the first box, in second box select file droidboot_dnx.img.POS_sign.bin

now switch off your mobile by holding power button for long and connect to pc.

now click begin download on xFSTK. after that simply power on mobile.

-Here You may see error multiple times just try to power off device completely and turn on again. flash again and again Until you see success: FW+OS Download complete!

After that you may see a 4 color screen, just like some TV stations stop broadcasting on TV. You have to wait a little. after few seconds or minutes device will boot into bootloader. wait 10 to 15 min if no success, If not repeat the xFSTK process again. once you get fastboot screen on device go ahead to flash RAW firmware

Now there are two ways to flash RAW firmware one is Asus Flash Tool (AFT) other is without AFT with help of commands. Personally, i like command method as it is much more reliable than Asus Flash Tool. both methods are provided here under.

Flash Raw Firmware Using Asus Flash Tool:

Required Files:
    Asus Flash Tool: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwUDZqa0M4SWRObVE
    Raw Firmware File:
    ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwb2x1SHg2UUlsT0U ( Link updated to google drive and latest raw firmware 2.20.40.194)

ZE550ML:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwcTBDaXZOYUNBdHM

Download Asus Flash Tool and install. Run asus flash tool as administrator. And select the phone model. Then select the downloaded raw file and click start button to flash.
    Note: sometimes flash process may go endless. If this happens remove the usb from computer. Kill asus flashtool process from task manager. Now run tool again and flash.

Flashing Firmware Without AFT:

For this you need two things first is adb tool and second is raw firmware file both links are provided here under:

Fastboot and adb tool: ( includes setup as well as independent files ) latest version updated

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwMGVuT0cwRlp2UG8

Adb fastboot tool for 64 bit windows and for those who are facing issue to load zip files while adb sideload. or unable to load system.img

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwUkFRMl81b1pWa0k

Raw firmware ( you can use any earlier downloaded RAW firmware file)
    ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwb2x1SHg2UUlsT0U ( Link updated to google drive and latest raw firmware 2.20.40.194)

ZE550ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwcTBDaXZOYUNBdHM

Now very first of all, rename .raw firmware file to .zip file and extract all files from it.. now place all files in adb and fastboot folder. ( Note: to extract raw file to avoid extension issue please give firmware file a complete new name ie: "user.zip" or anything you like

now in folder ( where you placed files from raw firmware and adb and fastboot tool folder) at empty place anywhere in folder hold Shift on computer keyboard and right click with mouse. Now click open command window here.

perform the following commands

1. fastboot devices ( see if it is recognized: else plug out usb and plugin again)
    2. fastboot oem erase_osip_header
    3. fastboot oem start_partitioning
    4. fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
    5. fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
    6. fastboot erase system
    7. fastboot erase cache
    8. fastboot erase data
    9. fastboot erase APD
    10. fastboot erase ADF
    11. fastboot oem wipe splashscreen
    12. fastboot oem stop_partitioning
    13. fastboot flash splashscreen splash_sign.bin
    14. fastboot flash token MFG_BOM_Full.bin
    15. fastboot flash ifwi ifwi-prod.bin
    16. fastboot flash boot boot_sign.bin
    17. fastboot flash recovery recovery_sign.bin
    18. fastboot flash fastboot droidboot_sign.bin
    19. fastboot flash APD APD.img
    20. fastboot flash system system.img
    21. fastboot reboot

Phone will successfully reboot into system. don't worry, first boot gonna take a little longer time. so have patience and watch some funny video till phone boots up.

Now you can install any firmware version via adb sideload. make sure to install latest lollipop firmware before flashing Marshmallow. follow the guide to sideload.

How to Install firmware using adb sideload:

First of all go to setting > About >Software information > tap build number 7 times to enable developer options. now under setting go to developer options and find USB debugging here. tick to enable USB debugging

Now go to Asus website and download the desired firmware and place that file in adb fastboot tool folder. rename the files to your desirable short name ( lets take an example rename it to User.zip). now move your mouse cursor in folder anywhere at some empty place, press and hold the keyboard shift Button now right click your mouse button and open command window here. in cmd type adb devices and press enter ( note it will prompt an option on mobile to authorize the computer for adb. Please authorize this computer. ) after this your device will be listed under adb devices with some number. if not type command once again, if no success this time please ensure you have installed usb driver and authorized computer.
    after adb recognize the device. run the following command

"adb reboot recovery"
    phone will reboot into recovery ( Note you can go to recovery manually as well. for doing so power down your device. after that press and hold volume + button and press power button as mobile shows asus logo leave power button but keep holding volume button. you will boot into fastboot mode use your volume up and down key to go to option recovery mode. now click power button. phone will reboot into recovery mode.

once phone reboot into recovery mode find option apply update from adb and press that option with the help of power button

now go to cmd and run the following command

" adb sideload user.zip " ( Note: User.zip is the firmware file you download from asus and placed in adb tool folder and renamed so can be replaced with the name you renamed your file)

now let the computer do its work sit back and relax. once file loaded successfully reboot device.
    ( note first boot always takes little longer time so don't panic have patience and wait till phone boots completely

if you have any question please post here. use hide button while replying to avoid unnecessary length of post..

If the guide was helpful to you and your device is alive again. Hope you can hit the Thanks button. it will not take much effort or long time. Thank you.
    Well hello sorry for the silly or stupid question but since I'm new to asus, And I see a lot of peoples bricking your devices I wanted to ask, There are some risk in update it if my bootloader locked and my phone fully stock? I received it some weeks ago and I not rooted or unlocked bootloader yet, so there are some chance to I get in a brick? Like some peoples did? :eek: I going to update next week, but just on case I wanted ask.

I gonna be very thankful if someone answer me :D
    if you are stock. you can update without any issue. just keep in mind update to latest lolipop first.. ( Z00A-WW-2.20.40.194 ) then to MM
    those who are not able to keep device connected. take care of few steps

1. in xFSTK option menu change the flag override value to 0x80000807 not 0x800000807 ( don't forget to click gp value over ride)

2. while connecting to xFSTK attach usb to computer. hold power button for 20 seconds to make sure it power downs completely. then hold the power button down and click power button. wait till device vibrate or computer makes detection sound. leave power button but keep holding the volume button for few seconds
    Ahm question again bro..you mention in op install first to latest lollipop right,, how did you install it,, i mean via twrp or what?

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Sorry for bunch of questions,, I'm just making sure bro..
    if yoy want to install latest MM. for that purpose you must install official asus recovery.. or if you want lolipop only then you can install it from twrp
    Question is,, if I'm already in android mm,,will my custom recovery still be there? Or do i need to flash it again via adb? Thnks..
    yes you need to flash if you want to install custom recovery . but flash it after updating to latest MM

if you are on unofficial MM. and you have custom recovery installed. don't try to install official MM. you will brick your device