[GUIDE][CDMA] A Literally Fool Proof Guide To Installing .211 (ICS).

Search This thread

kindie75

Apr 23, 2011
Freeport
???

I can't get past the option 15. It says "system cannot find the path specified". Any one please help!!!

Nevermind I forgot to extract the damn zip.......idiot!!

Last edited:

DLD511

May 25, 2012
anahiem
NOTE: DO NOT panic if you get any errors, and do not stray from these steps. If you have a concern, please post in the thread and I will get back to you in a timely fashion, or someone else will help you. The only way you will mess yourself up is if you wing it at any point, like panicking when your .181 fastboot errors occasionally, or "freezes".

Files you'll need:
- Modified Droid Razr Utility 1.6 - Credits to G8orDroid & Mattlgroff @ DroidRZR (required)
- The update file for the ICS Leak you want to install (required) - no link because there's always a new one around the corner and I don't wanna update the OP every two days. :p Ask in the thread if you need it.

If you're on .181 or earlier (GB), OR on an ICS leak prior to .84, such as .79 or .75...
-------MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS AT LEAST AT 50% BATTERY BEFORE YOU INSTALL. I ACTUALLY RECOMMEND 75% OR 100%, BUT AT THE VERY LEAST BE AT 50% OR YOU RISK HAVING TO HOTWIRE YOUR RAZR TO CHARGE IT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG/TOO SLOW. BE CAUTIOUS!!!-------

- PUT THE UPDATE FILE ON YOUR EXTERNAL SD CARD FIRST.
You will not be able to use your RAZR to put the files on the SD card after you begin. Please do so beforehand.

- Turn on USB Debugging (pull down the notification panel, tap the wrench, go all of the way down to developer options, tap that, then make sure USB debugging is checked).
- Open the Droid Razr Utility 1.6 Modified .bat file.
- Press any button after ADB starts up. Then type in 15 and press enter, and follow the onscreen instructions to reboot into AP Fastboot (bootloader).

- Return to the main menu.
- Type 1 and press enter twice.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to Fastboot to .181 using Modified Droid RAZR Utility to make sure you're completely stock and the update will go through.

- Turn your phone off.
- Turn your phone back on, holding VOL UP + VOL DWN.
- Use VOL DWN to go down to "Recovery", and then VOL UP to select it.
- Press VOL UP+VOL DWN to bring up the recovery menu once an image pops up after the rebooted phone's Motorola logo.

- Use VOL UP+VOL DWN to navigate to "apply update from external storage", then press PWR.
- Use VOL UP+VOL DWN to navigate to the update file (named BlurVersion____________ unless you changed it.), then press PWR.
- You should get no errors, and the phone should install the update successfully. Congrats, you're on ICS!

- I recommend factory resetting here to be safe, but you don't have to.
- Use VOL UP+VOL DWN to navigate to "reboot phone", then press PWR to leave recovery.
- Reroot if you want, using the guide at the bottom of the post.

If you're on .181 or earlier (GB), OR on an ICS leak prior to .84, such as .79 or .75... But the above instructions gave you a sideload error...

-------MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS AT LEAST AT 50% BATTERY BEFORE YOU INSTALL. I ACTUALLY RECOMMEND 75% OR 100%, BUT AT THE VERY LEAST BE AT 50% OR YOU RISK HAVING TO HOTWIRE YOUR RAZR TO CHARGE IT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG/TOO SLOW. BE CAUTIOUS!!!-------

- PUT THE UPDATE FILE ON YOUR EXTERNAL SD CARD FIRST IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.
You will not be able to use your RAZR to put the files on the SD card after you begin. Please do so beforehand.

- Turn on USB Debugging.
- Press any button after ADB starts up. Then type in 15 and press enter, and follow the onscreen instructions to reboot into AP Fastboot (bootloader).

- Follow the onscreen instructions to Fastboot to .181 using Modified Droid RAZR Utility to make sure you're completely stock and the update will go through.

- Pick up your phone, and skip setup as it is futile at this point. You'll just want to turn on USB Debugging.
- On your computer, return to the main menu.
- Type 3 and press enter. Follow the directions to root your phone. It should reboot three times total.

- Install ROM Manager from the Play Store (no need for premium if you don't want it)
- DO NOT CLICK INSTALL RECOVERY, AND DO NOT INSTALL BOOTSTRAP
- Copy the update file and the .crc to /cache using a file manager of your choosing with root permissions if you did not already do so.

- Open /cache in a file browser of your choosing that will prompt you which application to use instead of opening the .zip file itself (ES File Explorer seems most popular - remember that you'll have to go enable root permissions in settings to even get to /cache, though!)
- Tap on the .zip and open it with ROM Manager
- Don't check anything in the popup and reboot recovery
- It will flash and finish

- Done! I recommend factory resetting again here. Reroot if you want using the guide at the bottom of the post.

If you're on a previous ICS leak, above .79

- Turn on USB Debugging (pull down the notification panel, tap the wrench, go all of the way down to developer options, tap that, then make sure USB debugging is checked).

- Type 2 and press enter. Wait for the restore to finish, and you will automatically reboot into recovery.
You are now on what we coined "Psuedo-.181" - some weird hybrid of GB and ICS files. Your phone will not boot at this point. This utility also installs the .210 kernel, so you're ready to go to the next step.

- You can close the utility now. Pick up your phone.
- Press VOL DWN + VOL UP to bring up the text on the recovery menu once you see the Android with an open control panel stomach.
- Navigate down to "Apply update from external SD"
- Select the .210 zip file you downloaded.
- *IF IT FAILS THE FIRST TIME, TRY THIS PARAGRAPH AGAIN*
And now you're on the new ICS! Factory/Cache reset if you want, then use VOL DWN + VOL UP to navigate to Reboot phone, and press PWR to reboot.

If you want root on this new ICS build:
- Turn on your phone and let it boot normally
- Set everything up, and then turn on USB debugging (pull down the notification panel, tap the wrench, go all of the way down to developer options, tap that, then make sure USB debugging is checked), and make sure it isn't on Mass Storage mode (pull down the notification panel, tap on "connected as ____" and change to MTP or PTP.)

- Open the modified Droid RAZR utility and go to the main menu.
- Type 5 and press enter.
- Press enter again.
- Wait for the process to end completely. Your phone should reboot twice.
Rooted!

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help. However it is impossible for me to reply at all hours of the day. If you need emergency help, ask over at DroidRZR.

:what:

Hope I don't get lost. :sly:

mkarps

Aug 25, 2010
It's not too bad....and well worth it in my opinion. Once we know which of these builds turns out to be ota....if any...the devs will figure how to load that up no problem. That is why I decided to jump.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

networkdood

Aug 2, 2008
Somewhere, lost in time....
"If you want root on this new ICS build:
- Set everything up, and then turn on USB debugging (pull down the notification panel, tap the wrench, go all of the way down to developer options, tap that, then make sure USB debugging is checked), and make sure it isn't on Mass Storage mode (pull down the notification panel, tap on "connected as ____" and change to MTP or PTP.)

- Press enter again.
Rooted!"

Awesome!! This last part worked. I actually used the method described here:

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...t-fastbootable/page__view__findpost__p__56945

....to go from .206 to .211 ICS leak and this method can be used for future leaks.

refuse2bstopped

Jul 27, 2008
Well, I placed it in the /cache folder and went into recovery and flashed from /cache folder in recovery...gonna try it with .211 now.

So you just "unpackaged" it and put the correct file in the folder on the sd card and flashed with no other steps needed? And I would assume that you're razr is "rooted" already, correct? Mines is not, but I'm considering doing it now and trying this .211 leak. But it'll be my first time flashing since the htc g1 came out. lol So it's been awhile, I hate this feeling of "noobism" that's clouding my head right about now.

---------- Post added at 05:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

In short, what I'm asking is do I have to have root my phone in order to flash one of these leaks?

[TSON]

Jan 28, 2011
Now I'm a little confused here.

Just want to be clear.

Does it matter what bootstrap is in use???

The first step tells you to fastboot to .181. It doesn't matter what ROM you're on, or what recovery you have, or what GB version you're on, you'll be on stock .181 before the next step. Make sense?

So you just "unpackaged" it and put the correct file in the folder on the sd card and flashed with no other steps needed? And I would assume that you're razr is "rooted" already, correct? Mines is not, but I'm considering doing it now and trying this .211 leak. But it'll be my first time flashing since the htc g1 came out. lol So it's been awhile, I hate this feeling of "noobism" that's clouding my head right about now.

---------- Post added at 05:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

In short, what I'm asking is do I have to have root my phone in order to flash one of these leaks?
Unless you're following the "sideload error" instructions (the second set), no part of the instructions tell you to root. You CAN however, optionally root at the end.

DLD511

May 25, 2012
anahiem
The first step tells you to fastboot to .181. It doesn't matter what ROM you're on, or what recovery you have, or what GB version you're on, you'll be on stock .181 before the next step. Make sense?

Unless you're following the "sideload error" instructions (the second set), no part of the instructions tell you to root. You CAN however, optionally root at the end.

We'll find out If it makes sense when I get my hand on the RAZR again. Lol

Seems to though. This seems fairly easy for me. Glad. :D

Also one last question. It says something about asking for a link or something. Do I just search around this thread and find one.

Or does someone send me one.

Last edited:

networkdood

Aug 2, 2008
Now I'm a little confused here.

Just want to be clear.

Does it matter what bootstrap is in use???

Just use stock recovery by going to into the menu option, by pressing power and volume keys all at once with phone off and at the menu that has AP Fastboot and recovery, among other options - choose recovery - mine does not pull up sometimes, unless I hold down the volume keys together, again.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Yes, to get from the .75 leak to .206 leak, but when I attempted to do this again, it errored on me - I followed the instructions from here to get .211:

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...t-fastbootable/page__view__findpost__p__56945

and then I did the last part in OP when it came to rooting.

Honestly, there are different methods to do this and I am not sure why only certain ones worked for me - could be issues with original flashing of whatever was done after it came out of the box. Maybe, if we had a method to get back to the first GB, out of box, and then start again, any issues would correct itself.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Jan 28, 2011
Just use stock recovery by going to into the menu option, by pressing power and volume keys all at once with phone off and at the menu that has AP Fastboot and recovery, among other options - choose recovery - mine does not pull up sometimes, unless I hold down the volume keys together, again.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Yes, to get from the .75 leak to .206 leak, but when I attempted to do this again, it errored on me - I followed the instructions from here to get .211:

You don't have to be rooted. Stick to the directions in the OP, they're the easiest and simplest and most guaranteed to work. The reason so many people are having problems is because they're not able to follow directions. This thread is a mess right now...

networkdood

Aug 2, 2008
You don't have to be rooted. Stick to the directions in the OP, they're the easiest and simplest and most guaranteed to work. The reason so many people are having problems is because they're not able to follow directions. This thread is a mess right now...
Yeah, I only mentioned being rooted after I got .211 up and running, then I just used that utility you posted - works great.
But, sorry to add any extra confusion. The instructions you posted did not work for me, so I was just pointing in another direction, in case, others had the problem with errors I kept on getting.
I found it weird that I could go to .206 from .79 with your instructions, but not from .206 to .211.

Chase.Barnett

May 16, 2012
Fastbooted back to .181, followed the instruction to a T. Installed .211 from sd card, when rebooting, I can't get past the "M"

Any suggestions?

Edit: Problem solved.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: DO NOT panic if you get any errors, and do not stray from these steps. If you have a concern, please post in the thread and I will get back to you in a timely fashion, or someone else will help you. The only way you will mess yourself up is if you wing it at any point, like panicking when your .181 fastboot errors occasionally, or "freezes".

Files you'll need:
    - Modified Droid Razr Utility 1.6 - Credits to G8orDroid & Mattlgroff @ DroidRZR (required)
    - The update file for the ICS Leak you want to install (required) - no link because there's always a new one around the corner and I don't wanna update the OP every two days. :p Ask in the thread if you need it.

If you're on .181 or earlier (GB), OR on an ICS leak prior to .84, such as .79 or .75...

- Turn on USB Debugging.

- Turn your phone off.
    - Turn your phone back on, holding VOL UP + VOL DWN.
    - Use VOL DWN to go down to "Recovery", and then VOL UP to select it.
    - Press VOL UP+VOL DWN to bring up the recovery menu once an image pops up after the rebooted phone's Motorola logo.

- Use VOL UP+VOL DWN to navigate to "apply update from external storage", then press PWR.
    - Use VOL UP+VOL DWN to navigate to the update file (named BlurVersion____________ unless you changed it.), then press PWR.
    - You should get no errors, and the phone should install the update successfully. Congrats, you're on ICS!

- I recommend factory resetting here to be safe, but you don't have to.
    - Use VOL UP+VOL DWN to navigate to "reboot phone", then press PWR to leave recovery.
    - Reroot if you want, using the guide at the bottom of the post.

If you're on .181 or earlier (GB), OR on an ICS leak prior to .84, such as .79 or .75... But the above instructions gave you a sideload error...

- PUT THE UPDATE FILE ON YOUR EXTERNAL SD CARD FIRST IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

- Turn on USB Debugging.

- Pick up your phone, and skip setup as it is futile at this point. You'll just want to turn on USB Debugging.
    - On your computer, return to the main menu.
    - Type 3 and press enter. Follow the directions to root your phone. It should reboot three times total.

- Install ROM Manager from the Play Store (no need for premium if you don't want it)
    - DO NOT CLICK INSTALL RECOVERY, AND DO NOT INSTALL BOOTSTRAP
    - Copy the update file and the .crc to /cache using a file manager of your choosing with root permissions if you did not already do so.

- Open /cache in a file browser of your choosing that will prompt you which application to use instead of opening the .zip file itself (ES File Explorer seems most popular - remember that you'll have to go enable root permissions in settings to even get to /cache, though!)
    - Tap on the .zip and open it with ROM Manager
    - Don't check anything in the popup and reboot recovery
    - It will flash and finish

- Done! I recommend factory resetting again here. Reroot if you want using the guide at the bottom of the post.

If you're on a previous ICS leak, above .79

- Wait for your phone to get to the black screen with white text; then return to the main menu on the Utility.
    - Type 2 and press enter. Wait for the restore to finish, and you will automatically reboot into recovery.
    You are now on what we coined "Psuedo-.181" - some weird hybrid of GB and ICS files. Your phone will not boot at this point. This utility also installs the .210 kernel, so you're ready to go to the next step.

- You can close the utility now. Pick up your phone.
    - Press VOL DWN + VOL UP to bring up the text on the recovery menu once you see the Android with an open control panel stomach.
    - Navigate down to "Apply update from external SD"
    - Select the .211 zip file you downloaded.
    - *IF IT FAILS THE FIRST TIME, CLEAR YOUR CACHE, TURN YOUR PHONE OFF, AND TRY THIS PARAGRAPH AGAIN.*
    And now you're on the new ICS! Factory/Cache reset if you want, then use VOL DWN + VOL UP to navigate to Reboot phone, and press PWR to reboot.

If you want root on this new ICS build:

- Press enter again.
    Rooted!

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help. However it is impossible for me to reply at all hours of the day. If you need emergency help, ask over at DroidRZR.
    None of them go indepth, leading to people jumping to conclusions on what to do in several situations. It's counterintuitive and leads people to bricks. I made my guides almost fool-proof, gathering like 15 likes over on droidrzr, so I thought I'd bring them over here for you guys.
    Yeah, I was surprised how many people were having trouble and were using tools like the ICS Installer, so I thought I'd just compile my posts together for people to see.
    i did this on my motorola xt912 and works like a charm :3 now im proud to have a motorola xt912 with ICS =D ty :D
    We'll find out If it makes sense when I get my hand on the RAZR again. Lol

Seems to though. This seems fairly easy for me. Glad. :D

Also one last question. It says something about asking for a link or something. Do I just search around this thread and find one.

Or does someone send me one.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27466965&postcount=70