[Guide] Change Boot Logo

Search This thread

Goose247

Oct 6, 2009
Strathdon
Please note that this has only been testing on MTCB Head units.

As with all mods, do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you brick your unit.

The instructions set out below work for me and I have done been successfully using this method for over a year now.
The unit I testing it on was an Xtrons TD696a RK3188 800x480.

I have determined that this process works on Malaysk 4.4.4 roms up to about March, the same with booroondook roms. As far as I can make out it works with all 5.1 custom roms
I haven't testing much on stock firmwares but I see no reason why it won't work with all of them.

If you follow the steps correctly the worst that can happen is that it will load with your custom boot logo once then revert back to the original without causing any harm to your unit.

Tool required
gimp - https://www.gimp.org/
HxD - https://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php
RK3xxx firmware tools by SergioPoverony - http://vondroid.com/threads/rk3xxx-firmware-tools-by-sergiopoverony.14718/#post-44489
Terminal Emulator - http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/jack-palevich/terminal-emulator/terminal-emulator-1-0-70-release/terminal-emulator-1-0-70-android-apk-download/

The guide is split into 4 sections.
1. Modifying kernel to determine image size
2. Making the image
3. Importing image to kernel
4. Installing kernel to system
5. Modifying kernel.img inside backup.img

I think I have covered everything but no doubt as time goes on things will be changed or added.

I stress again As with all mods, do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you brick your unit.

Last edited:

Goose247

Oct 6, 2009
Strathdon
Modifying Kernel to determine image size.

1. Using RK3xxx decompile the update.img you are using or going to use. Click "Select Img" then browse for your update.img.
1.png

1a. Then Click Extract.
2.png

2. Click on "Logo tools" then "Run logo Changer" (A new window will open).
3.png

4.png

3. Click on "File" then "Select kernel.ing" and browse for the kernel (it will be in temp/Android/Image).
5.png

4. If the kernel boot logo loads you should see an image in the right hand box
15.png

And in the box below you should see something like:
Code:
KernelPass:rkdroid
Kernel image size: 800 * 480
Supported Image Size:  800 * 480

If you see an image you are sooooooo lucky and can skip to Making the image section.

If the kernel boot logo doesn't load you will see no image and also in the box below something like this:
Code:
ÃÜÂë´íÎó!
ÔØÈëkernelʧ°Ü

5. Open Hxd and open kernel.img (click "File" then "Open" and browse for the kernel.img).
6.png

5a. Click "Search" then "Find" and search for "rk logo password" (don't include the quotation marks "") and make sure Datatype is set to "Text-string".
7.png

5b. In the last column (furthest right) highlight between the 1st character
after "password" and before the 1st character of "rk29_backlight" (you will see that the middle section has now been highlighted as well, a total of 44 pairs of characters).
8.png

Here's where it gets a bit complicated.
5c. In the middle section take a note of the 1st set of characters and last set. In the above picture they are 93 and C0.
Left click somewhere above to clear all the highlighted code.

5d. Now in the middle section highlight everything from the 1st pair and last pair. (the 2 pairs you took a note of above). You should have 44 pairs of characters highlighted now.
8.png

5e. Right mouse click and copy then left click somewhere above again to clear any highlighted characters.
9.png

5f. Click on "Search" then "Replace", change Datatype to "Hex-values" and in the 1st box (search for) right mouse click and paste. It should have pasted the 44 pairs of characters.
10.png

5g. Copy the below set of codes and paste into the 2nd box (Replace with).
Code:
31 57 8D EB 18 4B A9 41 D9 47 EA 2F 7E 60 B1 67 6C 6F 67 6F 2E 6E 6F 6C 6F 67 6F 00 00 00 00 00 FC F3 AC C0 60 BD AB C0 C8 42 AD C0

Then click "OK".

If the changes were successful the values in the centre and right hand columns will have changed to red.
11.png

Double check that the values in the centre column match:
Code:
31 57 8D EB 18 4B A9 41 D9 47 EA 2F 7E 60 B1 67 6C 6F 67 6F 2E 6E 6F 6C 6F 67 6F 00 00 00 00 00 FC F3 AC C0 60 BD AB C0 C8 42 AD C0

5h. Save and exit HxD. (A backup of the original kernel.img has been made if you balls it up at any point).

6. Open RK3xxx again. Click on "Logo tools" then "Run Logo Changer" (a new window will open).
12.png

13.png

7. Select "File" then "Select kernel.img". Locate the kernel you have just modified.
14.png

If you did everything correct in HxD your image should load in the right hand box.
15.png

You should also see:
Code:

or

Code:
Kernel image size: 1024 * 600
Supported Image Size:  1024 * 600

Image size is very important before you can continue. I have found that some kernels although from a 1024x600 unit have a 800x480 boot logo and visa versa.
If after doing the steps above you find that is the case. You MUST use the image size stated (Supported Image Size:) even though it doesn't match your unit resolution.
You have been warned.

That is pretty much the hardest section. You can now go to Making the image.

Last edited:

Goose247

Oct 6, 2009
Strathdon
Making the image

1. Now that you have established the image size make sure the image you intend to use for a boot logo is the exact same resolution.
2. Open Gimp and open the image you want to use as a boot logo.
2b. Click on "Image", "Mode", "Indexed".
16.png

2c. Set Maximum number of colours to 224 (very important). Then click "Convert".
17.png

If you find that the quality of the image isn't as good play around with the colour dithering settings
but never change the Maximum number of colours from 224.

2d. Click on "File" then "Export as".
18.png

2e. Click on "Select File Type (By Extension).
19.png

2f. Scroll down and select "PPM Image" then "Export"
20.png

2g. Data formatting select "ASCII" (Very Important), then "Export"
21.png

Getting easier, isn't it :). Off to Importing image to kernel.

Last edited:

Goose247

Oct 6, 2009
Strathdon
Importing image to kernel

1. Using RK3xxx click on "Logo tools", then "Run Logo Changer"
22.png

23.png

2. Click "File" then "Select kernel.img" and load the kernel.img you modified earlier.
24.png

3. Click on "File" then select "PNM logo image" and load the PPM image you created in Gimp.
26.png

4. If both loaded ok
27.png

Simply click on "Replace" and the image in the right side box should change to your custom logo. Click "Exit"
28.png

Forgot to take a screenshot of it but it will move the image in the left box over to the right.

And that my pedigree chums is your kernel.img ready to be installed on your unit.

Last but not least . Installing kernel to system.

Last edited:

Goose247

Oct 6, 2009
Strathdon
Installing kernel to system

There is a difference between kitkat and lollipop so please make sure you follow the correct instructions.

1. Copy kernel.img to external_sd.
2. Open terminal emulator.
3a. If you are using Kitkat Android 4.4.4.
Type the following. Make sure to press enter between each line:
Code:
su

cd /mnt/external_sd

dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/kernel

3b. If you are using Lollipop Android 5.1.
Type the following. Making sure to hit enter between each line:
Code:
su

cd /mnt/external_sd

dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/block/platform/emmc/by-name/kernel

Regardless of which one you use, you should get a few lines of confirmation. Forgot to take another screenshot but it should look something like this:
Code:
12345+1 records in
12345+1 records out
12345 bytes transferred in 0.198 secs

If it failed then it will look something like this:
Code:
12345+0 records in
12345+0 records out

Fingers crossed that you have the 1st output result.
You can simply type "Reboot" in terminal emulator and it will reboot the system and again, fingers crossed you will see your nice new boot logo.

I have taken a lot of time and effort to put this guide together. I know it's not perfect but I hope it helps :good:

Last edited:

cat2115

Feb 23, 2008
Will this work with "Update_4_4_4_FUSE_800X480_RK3066_40_MAL_12_06_2016_FIX_RADIO_MTCB" - Last modified 26-Jun-2016?

Thanks

Goose247

Oct 6, 2009
Strathdon
Will this work with "Update_4_4_4_FUSE_800X480_RK3066_40_MAL_12_06_2016_FIX_RADIO_MTCB" - Last modified 26-Jun-2016?

Thanks

Read the OP

I have determined that this process works on Malaysk 4.4.4 roms up to about March, the same with booroondook roms. As far as I can make out it works with all 5.1 custom roms
I haven't testing much on stock firmwares but I see no reason why it won't work with all of them.

zoxenrbg

Aug 1, 2016
MTCD not MTCB work ?

Hello and thank you for your work.

I can use them on bootlogo MTCD not MTCB?
If so how to do it please? The basic procedure does not.

Thanks a lot.

Goodbye

Goose247

Oct 6, 2009
Strathdon
Hello and thank you for your work.

I can use them on bootlogo MTCD not MTCB?
If so how to do it please? The basic procedure does not.

Thanks a lot.

Goodbye

I think I did say in the OP that it was only tested on MTCB units. I don't know what the differences are between the 2 so I really can't comment or give you advice on MTCD units.

zoxenrbg

Aug 1, 2016
I use an 5.1.1 RK3188 China directly.
MCU GS 1.6...

MTCD. I help you ?

Tell me what I have to tell you please do and how to put the logo annimé (I can not find procedure).

Thanks for your help !

jacobreed222

Jun 2, 2013
Example Boot Logos for Head Units

New Boot Logos on Request! Be sure, that you use the correct resolution! All files are optimized to PPM format. So you can skip Step 2 "making the image"! All downloads are direct downloads from my server!

VAUXHALL
vauxhall_preview.png

DOWNLOAD 1024x600

VAUXHALL ASTRA
vauxhallastra_preview.png

DOWNLOAD 1024x600

Hey man! I would really appreciate it if you could make a Toyota boot logo for me please? Thank you so mcuh!

bsavoir22

Sep 23, 2013
Texas
Hey man! I would really appreciate it if you could make a Toyota boot logo for me please? Thank you so mcuh!

I believe this was meant so anyone could change the 1st boot logo. It is very simple as I have finished mine a couple hours ago. This post is not a request for logo but for a user make his/her own. Follow the OP procedures and you will not have any issues. This is my first time to extract anything from a ROM and change something and make it work.

Goose247

Oct 6, 2009
Strathdon
I believe this was meant so anyone could change the 1st boot logo. It is very simple as I have finished mine a couple hours ago. This post is not a request for logo but for a user make his/her own. Follow the OP procedures and you will not have any issues. This is my first time to extract anything from a ROM and change something and make it work.

It's the 1st time I've written a guide so how did it go for you following the procedure?

bsavoir22

Sep 23, 2013
Texas
It's the 1st time I've written a guide so how did it go for you following the procedure?

It was pretty straight forward. The steps were easy to follow and I had no issues with the guide. The only issue i had was with GIMP and resizing my image, for some reason i only got it to 800x500, but after playing around with it i found that I had already created and save a 800x480 resolution copy.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Installing kernel to system

There is a difference between kitkat and lollipop so please make sure you follow the correct instructions.

1. Copy kernel.img to external_sd.
    2. Open terminal emulator.
    3a. If you are using Kitkat Android 4.4.4.
    Type the following. Make sure to press enter between each line:
    Code:
    su

cd /mnt/external_sd

dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/kernel

3b. If you are using Lollipop Android 5.1.
    Type the following. Making sure to hit enter between each line:
    Code:
    su

cd /mnt/external_sd

dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/block/platform/emmc/by-name/kernel

Regardless of which one you use, you should get a few lines of confirmation. Forgot to take another screenshot but it should look something like this:
    Code:
    12345+1 records in
    12345+1 records out

If it failed then it will look something like this:
    Code:
    12345+0 records in
    12345+0 records out

Fingers crossed that you have the 1st output result.
    You can simply type "Reboot" in terminal emulator and it will reboot the system and again, fingers crossed you will see your nice new boot logo.

I have taken a lot of time and effort to put this guide together. I know it's not perfect but I hope it helps :good:
    Please note that this has only been testing on MTCB Head units.

As with all mods, do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you brick your unit.

The instructions set out below work for me and I have done been successfully using this method for over a year now.
    The unit I testing it on was an Xtrons TD696a RK3188 800x480.

If you follow the steps correctly the worst that can happen is that it will load with your custom boot logo once then revert back to the original without causing any harm to your unit.

Tool required
    gimp - https://www.gimp.org/
    HxD - https://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php
    RK3xxx firmware tools by SergioPoverony - http://vondroid.com/threads/rk3xxx-firmware-tools-by-sergiopoverony.14718/#post-44489
    Terminal Emulator - http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/jack-palevich/terminal-emulator/terminal-emulator-1-0-70-release/terminal-emulator-1-0-70-android-apk-download/

The guide is split into 4 sections.
    1. Modifying kernel to determine image size
    2. Making the image
    3. Importing image to kernel
    4. Installing kernel to system
    5. Modifying kernel.img inside backup.img

I think I have covered everything but no doubt as time goes on things will be changed or added.

I stress again As with all mods, do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you brick your unit.
    Making the image

1. Now that you have established the image size make sure the image you intend to use for a boot logo is the exact same resolution.
    2. Open Gimp and open the image you want to use as a boot logo.
    2b. Click on "Image", "Mode", "Indexed".
    16.png

2c. Set Maximum number of colours to 224 (very important). Then click "Convert".
    17.png

If you find that the quality of the image isn't as good play around with the colour dithering settings
    but never change the Maximum number of colours from 224.

2d. Click on "File" then "Export as".
    18.png

2e. Click on "Select File Type (By Extension).
    19.png

2f. Scroll down and select "PPM Image" then "Export"
    20.png

2g. Data formatting select "ASCII" (Very Important), then "Export"
    21.png

Getting easier, isn't it :). Off to Importing image to kernel.
    Modifying Kernel to determine image size.

1. Using RK3xxx decompile the update.img you are using or going to use. Click "Select Img" then browse for your update.img.
    1.png

1a. Then Click Extract.
    2.png

2. Click on "Logo tools" then "Run logo Changer" (A new window will open).
    3.png

4.png

3. Click on "File" then "Select kernel.ing" and browse for the kernel (it will be in temp/Android/Image).
    5.png

4. If the kernel boot logo loads you should see an image in the right hand box
    15.png

And in the box below you should see something like:
    Code:

If you see an image you are sooooooo lucky and can skip to Making the image section.

If the kernel boot logo doesn't load you will see no image and also in the box below something like this:
    Code:
    ÃÜÂë´íÎó!
    ÔØÈëkernelʧ°Ü

5. Open Hxd and open kernel.img (click "File" then "Open" and browse for the kernel.img).
    6.png

5a. Click "Search" then "Find" and search for "rk logo password" (don't include the quotation marks "") and make sure Datatype is set to "Text-string".
    7.png

5b. In the last column (furthest right) highlight between the 1st character
    after "password" and before the 1st character of "rk29_backlight" (you will see that the middle section has now been highlighted as well, a total of 44 pairs of characters).
    8.png

Here's where it gets a bit complicated.
    5c. In the middle section take a note of the 1st set of characters and last set. In the above picture they are 93 and C0.
    Left click somewhere above to clear all the highlighted code.

5d. Now in the middle section highlight everything from the 1st pair and last pair. (the 2 pairs you took a note of above). You should have 44 pairs of characters highlighted now.
    8.png

5e. Right mouse click and copy then left click somewhere above again to clear any highlighted characters.
    9.png

5f. Click on "Search" then "Replace", change Datatype to "Hex-values" and in the 1st box (search for) right mouse click and paste. It should have pasted the 44 pairs of characters.
    10.png

5g. Copy the below set of codes and paste into the 2nd box (Replace with).
    Code:

Then click "OK".

If the changes were successful the values in the centre and right hand columns will have changed to red.
    11.png

Double check that the values in the centre column match:
    Code:

5h. Save and exit HxD. (A backup of the original kernel.img has been made if you balls it up at any point).

6. Open RK3xxx again. Click on "Logo tools" then "Run Logo Changer" (a new window will open).
    12.png

13.png

7. Select "File" then "Select kernel.img". Locate the kernel you have just modified.
    14.png

If you did everything correct in HxD your image should load in the right hand box.
    15.png

You should also see:
    Code:

or

Code:
    Kernel image size: 1024 * 600
    Supported Image Size:  1024 * 600

Image size is very important before you can continue. I have found that some kernels although from a 1024x600 unit have a 800x480 boot logo and visa versa.
    If after doing the steps above you find that is the case. You MUST use the image size stated (Supported Image Size:) even though it doesn't match your unit resolution.
    You have been warned.

That is pretty much the hardest section. You can now go to Making the image.
    Importing image to kernel

1. Using RK3xxx click on "Logo tools", then "Run Logo Changer"
    22.png

23.png

2. Click "File" then "Select kernel.img" and load the kernel.img you modified earlier.
    24.png

3. Click on "File" then select "PNM logo image" and load the PPM image you created in Gimp.
    26.png

4. If both loaded ok
    27.png

Simply click on "Replace" and the image in the right side box should change to your custom logo. Click "Exit"
    28.png

Forgot to take a screenshot of it but it will move the image in the left box over to the right.

And that my pedigree chums is your kernel.img ready to be installed on your unit.

Last but not least . Installing kernel to system.