[GUIDE] Complete Step-by-Step Convert T-Mobile to Global (or other) firmware

Search This thread
*** Use this at your very own risk.
*** You will lose all data
*** Backup your working modem and persist, just in case.
*** USE USB 2.0 Port and Windows Machine

!!! BEFORE YOU CONTINUE, POST #3 CONTAINS AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS THREAD !!!

Part 1: Return to T-Mobile Stock Firmware via MSM TOOL

Turn on Test Mode, Disable Device Driver Signing via Powershell and set Time Date to 2017, then restart PC
Code:
bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off
bcdedit.exe /set testsigning off

1. Launch MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe.
2. On the login prompt select "Other" in the dropdown menu and click on Next.
3. Click on Target button and select TMO.
4. Press Start button so that it waits for your device to be connected
5. Power off your device
6. Put your phone in EDL mode
  • by completely turning off your device, hold vol up + vol down and plug in the cable
OR
  • via ADB command
Code:
adb reboot edl
7. Once phone is in EDL Mode, immediately Click ENUM button and then START button

Wait approximately ~250-300 seconds.
Device will reboot afterwards.

Part 2: Unlock Bootloader with no code and apply Dual SIM​

After reboot, Turn on OEM Unlock in Developer Options before proceeding with the steps

1. Rename and move “instantnoodlet_15_O.16_201001.ops” from MSM Tool directory to somewhere else (e.g., Documents Folder)
2. Download "unlock.ops" and rename it to instantnoodlet_15_O.16_201001.ops
3. Move the "renamed unlock.ops" to MSM Tool directory
4. Launch MSM Tool and proceed using the steps from Part 1

MSM Tool will finish flashing in under 15 seconds and the device will reboot with the message,
"<!> The device is corrupt.."

5. Unplug phone from PC and Force Shutdown device by simultaneously press and holding Power and Vol buttons till the device reboots
6. Let go of all buttons once you see device reboot with the logo FASTBOOT MODE, the big START logo will appear afterwards
7. Open SDK Platform Tools folder and launch Powershell/CMD from there
8. Copy and paste this command to check if device is recognized in FASTBOOT
Code:
fastboot devices
9. Once device isrecognized by terminal, copy and paste this other command
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
10. A confirm bootloader prompt will appear, use Vol buttons to hover on UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER and to confirm, simply press Power button

Once confirmed, device will reboot back to T-Mobile Firmware but now with Dual SIM and an unlocked bootloader. To use the MSM Tool again without the "unlock.ops", move the unlock.ops to a different place and put back the original ops.

Part 3: Converting to other regions (e.g., Global, EU, Indian) and lock Bootloader​

*** Cannot lock bootloader after flashing Fastboot ROM. Will corrupt device

*** As of right now, Dual SIM doesn't work on OOS12/13 Indian Firmware

1. Download this Fastboot ROM
2. Open Fastboot ROM Folder, click flash-all.bat and type and enter "y" to the terminal
Code:
Do you want to wipe all the data ( Reccomended )[Y/N]?y
< waiting for any device >

3. Reboot phone to FASTBOOT MODE and plug the phone back to the PC
4. Once the process is done, find an OTA ZIP from this thread to update to and download it

(You can use ota.zips from any region whether it be EU/India/Global, e.g., OxygenOS 11 Global 11.0.11.11)
Screenshot (10).png

5. put the OTA ZIP in the phone, update it and reboot
Manually-Install-OxygenOS-OnePlus-8-Pro-02.jpg

Install-OnePlus-6-6T-OxygenOS-10-Update-using-Local-Upgrade-02.jpg

After rebooting, you can either lock bootloader or stay unlocked to root

6. To lock bootloader, reboot to FASTBOOT and plug phone in to PC
7. Open platforms-tool and open a terminal from the folder
8. Copy, paste and enter this command:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock

9. Confirm the prompt LOCK THE BOOTLOADER and the phone will perform a factory reset and reboot.

There you go! What you can do at this point is stay and daily drive OxygenOS 11 or update to OxygenOS 12/13 or even ColorOS. Dual SIM will work on any Firmware Region. The phone's model will also permanently change to IN2015=OnePlus 8 Global Version Model unless you go back and use MSM Tool again with the original ops.

Attachments

• unlock.ops for TMO OnePlus 8.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 4,003
Last edited:
Dear OnePlus 8 community,

This is my last time visiting y'all. Thank you for all the support and help you guys have gave me throughout the past year. You guys were the first community that I was a part of. I have now retired my OnePlus 8. This device is what entered me into the realm of XDA in the first place. This place will always be a part of my heart and I will cherish the memories I have experienced with it. This guide will be a step-by-step summary of all the guides scattered in the OnePlus 8 Guides Section. A reminder to the next OnePlus 8 users, don't let this community die and keep the old OnePlus Never Settle spirit, alive!

Sincerely, Aaron
22 November 2022​

Credits to these amazing people for making this possible:

Last edited:

Adriancris7

Aug 22, 2013
Hi man i do everthing like the post say and i got it. But i notices that when you convert t-mobile oneplus 8 to global you lose safetynet. so i was wondering 2 things. How can i get safetynet working again, and if i relock the bootloader with the global firmware will it boot or it will break? Thanks mate.

Reactions: thattechguy_69
Hi man i do everthing like the post say and i got it. But i notices that when you convert t-mobile oneplus 8 to global you lose safetynet. so i was wondering 2 things. How can i get safetynet working again, and if i relock the bootloader with the global firmware will it boot or it will break? Thanks mate.
If you lock bootloader the system will say your phone has been corrupted and if you did happened to lock your bootloader. You are gonna have to use MSM tool to restore OS and your are gonna have to start again to step 1.

For the other issue which is safetynet, did you root your phone? From what I know you would only lose your safety net when you root your phone. I did root my phone 2 weeks ago and from what I remember my safetynet was fine. You are gonna have to ask someone about safety net man since I am no expert at that region.

Anyways, thank you for using this guide. Really appreciate it man 😁👍

Adriancris7

Aug 22, 2013
If you lock bootloader the system will say your phone has been corrupted and if you did happened to lock your bootloader. You are gonna have to use MSM tool to restore OS and your are gonna have to start again to step 1.

For the other issue which is safetynet, did you root your phone? From what I know you would only lose your safety net when you root your phone. I did root my phone 2 weeks ago and from what I remember my safetynet was fine. You are gonna have to ask someone about safety net man since I am no expert at that region.

Anyways, thank you for using this guide. Really appreciate it man 😁👍
Ok, I see.. I didn't root the phone. I just want to know. It's just I try to install Netflix in play store and the app didn't show.... So I install safetynet test and shows that it's not working... I don't have plane to root the phone. I only want to convert the phone to global... I don't know how to solve the issue of safetynet.. that why I ask you. Anyway the phone is working flawless no issue at all.

Ok, I see.. I didn't root the phone. I just want to know. It's just I try to install Netflix in play store and the app didn't show.... So I install safetynet test and shows that it's not working... I don't have plane to root the phone. I only want to convert the phone to global... I don't know how to solve the issue of safetynet.. that why I ask you. Anyway the phone is working flawless no issue at all.
Ok so I check my Play Store Certification and I just found out that my device has not been certified which means that's the reason why you couldnt install/update Netflix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-072113.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-072113.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 585
Reactions: Adriancris7
Yeah, that's what I told you. How can we solve the issue. It's the only bug I've found.
Download "Device ID" and copy Google Service Framework (GSF) and then paste it on this link
https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/ , just wait for Google to Verify your device. If it does not work then just download apk on apkmirror or revert back to T-Mobile ROM. I am in the process of trying to get mine also certified.

Nov 6, 2021
This worked for me, but had the same issue with the safetynet and thus can't use google pay. Just submitted the GSF for google to verify. Did google verified your device yet?

This worked for me, but had the same issue with the safetynet and thus can't use google pay. Just submitted the GSF for google to verify. Did google verified your device yet?
I changed my ROM to Pixel Experience because of OOS 11 battery issues and etc. But I dont think it did certify my device. Did some research on this before I switch and someone said it should certify your device but it wont say it. Another method I heard is to clear cache and storage cache on Play Store App and it should but I have never tested this one. The most sure method I saw was to root phone and bypass.

Nov 6, 2021
I changed my ROM to Pixel Experience because of OOS 11 battery issues and etc. But I dont think it did certify my device. Did some research on this before I switch and someone said it should certify your device but it wont say it. Another method I heard is to clear cache and storage cache on Play Store App and it should but I have never tested this one. The most sure method I saw was to root phone and bypass.
Yeah, I tried the play store app and gpay cache and storage cache clearing with no luck. I use gpay with NFC quite often so it was a bummer that it won't work without being certified. Thanks you for writing the guide regardless!

Yeah, I tried the play store app and gpay cache and storage cache clearing with no luck. I use gpay with NFC quite often so it was a bummer that it won't work without being certified. Thanks you for writing the guide regardless!
So sorry man. Thanks for letting me know it worked tho! You should try pixel experience tho. It is certified

Nov 6, 2021
So sorry man. Thanks for letting me know it worked tho! You should try pixel experience tho. It is certified
Yeah, everything else seems to work well besides that.

As much as I would like to try the other ROM, do they keep up with security patches? I just bought this phone used (Tmobile unlocked) and haven't rooted an android for a while and wasn't sure if they still get updates directly from google or some volunteer is maintaining the ROM. Would like to root it to whatever ROM that is the most maintenance free and would support security updates at least for a couple of years. I think oneplus support it up to 2023 for oneplus 8 if I'm not wrong.

Yeah, everything else seems to work well besides that.

As much as I would like to try the other ROM, do they keep up with security patches? I just bought this phone used (Tmobile unlocked) and haven't rooted an android for a while and wasn't sure if they still get updates directly from google or some volunteer is maintaining the ROM. Would like to root it to whatever ROM that is the most maintenance free and would support security updates at least for a couple of years. I think oneplus support it up to 2023 for oneplus 8 if I'm not wrong.
Yes they do keep up with updates but the people that are maintaing it are not from google. But I will assure you that it is way smoother and more optimized that the current oos 11. I also bought my phone recently 1 month ago as used! You can check some youtube channels if you are interested in pixel experience. Also changing rom does not require root so you dont have to tinker with safetynet and stuff

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211106-203638.png
    Screenshot_20211106-203638.png
    3 MB · Views: 512
  • Screenshot_20211106-203732.png
    Screenshot_20211106-203732.png
    230 KB · Views: 509
Nov 6, 2021
Yes they do keep up with updates but the people that are maintaing it are not from google. But I will assure you that it is way smoother and more optimized that the current oos 11. I also bought my phone recently 1 month ago as used! You can check some youtube channels if you are interested in pixel experience. Also changing rom does not require root so you dont have to tinker with safetynet and stuff
Wow, that looks really good. I might just try that out instead of going back to t mobile stock. Thank you!!

Wow, that looks really good. I might just try that out instead of going back to t mobile stock. Thank you!!
Here are the instructions and Follow THE GUIDE AND I MEAN IT: https://wiki.pixelexperience.org/devices/instantnoodlep/install/

you have to be in the latest oos 11 and in the last part of the guide, you can lock back the bootloader by replacing avb key with a custom one. If you dont update to the latest. It will keep saying system ui not working. Learned it the hard way and was hard stuck for 3 days lol. The os itself is directly from the pixels but with added features that was unique from oxygen os so google will think you have a pixel.

Nov 6, 2021
Here are the instructions and Follow THE GUIDE AND I MEAN IT: https://wiki.pixelexperience.org/devices/instantnoodlep/install/

you have to be in the latest oos 11 and in the last part of the guide, you can lock back the bootloader by replacing avb key with a custom one. If you dont update to the latest. It will keep saying system ui not working. Learned it the hard way and was hard stuck for 3 days lol. The os itself is directly from the pixels but with added features that was unique from oxygen os so google will think you have a pixel.
You are a godsend sir!! Looks like I'll be tinkering with it tonight! Thank you so much!

• Love

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So going from In2017 to in2015, does that radio change as well? So it has the same CA combos and such as the in 2015? Or no matter what I do the T-Mobile radio is still flash and it's still in the end of T-Mobile device with T-Mobile bands?
    Bands will still same as T-Mobile because bands are saved in modern partition which is different than system partition which we convert.
    There's some ways to flash and edit midem files to get other bands
    *** Use this at your very own risk.
    *** You will lose all data
    *** Backup your working modem and persist, just in case.
    *** USE USB 2.0 Port and Windows Machine

!!! BEFORE YOU CONTINUE, POST #3 CONTAINS AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS THREAD !!!

Part 1: Return to T-Mobile Stock Firmware via MSM TOOL

Turn on Test Mode, Disable Device Driver Signing via Powershell and set Time Date to 2017, then restart PC
    Code:
    bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off
    bcdedit.exe /set testsigning off

1. Launch MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe.
    2. On the login prompt select "Other" in the dropdown menu and click on Next.
    3. Click on Target button and select TMO.
    4. Press Start button so that it waits for your device to be connected
    5. Power off your device
    6. Put your phone in EDL mode
    • by completely turning off your device, hold vol up + vol down and plug in the cable
    OR
    • via ADB command
    Code:
    adb reboot edl
    7. Once phone is in EDL Mode, immediately Click ENUM button and then START button

Wait approximately ~250-300 seconds.
    Device will reboot afterwards.

Part 2: Unlock Bootloader with no code and apply Dual SIM​

After reboot, Turn on OEM Unlock in Developer Options before proceeding with the steps

1. Rename and move “instantnoodlet_15_O.16_201001.ops” from MSM Tool directory to somewhere else (e.g., Documents Folder)
    2. Download "unlock.ops" and rename it to instantnoodlet_15_O.16_201001.ops
    3. Move the "renamed unlock.ops" to MSM Tool directory
    4. Launch MSM Tool and proceed using the steps from Part 1

MSM Tool will finish flashing in under 15 seconds and the device will reboot with the message,
    "<!> The device is corrupt.."

5. Unplug phone from PC and Force Shutdown device by simultaneously press and holding Power and Vol buttons till the device reboots
    6. Let go of all buttons once you see device reboot with the logo FASTBOOT MODE, the big START logo will appear afterwards
    7. Open SDK Platform Tools folder and launch Powershell/CMD from there
    8. Copy and paste this command to check if device is recognized in FASTBOOT
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    9. Once device isrecognized by terminal, copy and paste this other command
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock
    10. A confirm bootloader prompt will appear, use Vol buttons to hover on UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER and to confirm, simply press Power button

Once confirmed, device will reboot back to T-Mobile Firmware but now with Dual SIM and an unlocked bootloader. To use the MSM Tool again without the "unlock.ops", move the unlock.ops to a different place and put back the original ops.

Part 3: Converting to other regions (e.g., Global, EU, Indian) and lock Bootloader​

*** Cannot lock bootloader after flashing Fastboot ROM. Will corrupt device

*** As of right now, Dual SIM doesn't work on OOS12/13 Indian Firmware

1. Download this Fastboot ROM
    2. Open Fastboot ROM Folder, click flash-all.bat and type and enter "y" to the terminal
    Code:
    Do you want to wipe all the data ( Reccomended )[Y/N]?y
    < waiting for any device >

3. Reboot phone to FASTBOOT MODE and plug the phone back to the PC
    4. Once the process is done, find an OTA ZIP from this thread to update to and download it

(You can use ota.zips from any region whether it be EU/India/Global, e.g., OxygenOS 11 Global 11.0.11.11)
    Screenshot (10).png

5. put the OTA ZIP in the phone, update it and reboot
    Manually-Install-OxygenOS-OnePlus-8-Pro-02.jpg

Install-OnePlus-6-6T-OxygenOS-10-Update-using-Local-Upgrade-02.jpg

After rebooting, you can either lock bootloader or stay unlocked to root

6. To lock bootloader, reboot to FASTBOOT and plug phone in to PC
    7. Open platforms-tool and open a terminal from the folder
    8. Copy, paste and enter this command:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing lock

9. Confirm the prompt LOCK THE BOOTLOADER and the phone will perform a factory reset and reboot.

There you go! What you can do at this point is stay and daily drive OxygenOS 11 or update to OxygenOS 12/13 or even ColorOS. Dual SIM will work on any Firmware Region. The phone's model will also permanently change to IN2015=OnePlus 8 Global Version Model unless you go back and use MSM Tool again with the original ops.
    I tried again, MSM to 10.5.7, unlocked bootloader, rebooted to bootloader, flash-all.bat, and I'm still getting errors on the critical partitions. And I can't figure out how to unlock the critical partitions (probably not allowed in TMo firmware).

I'm going to MSM to 10.5.22 and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: No dice. 10.5.22 made no difference. The issue is the locked critical partitions. If anybody has any solutions please tag me.
    Sorry for spamming the board today, but I think I figured it out.

Thanks to @thattechguy_69 for all the work here so far. This is just to help anybody who is having issues like I did.

The "critical partitions" issue appears to be a DRIVERS issue, not a fastboot version issue or anything else with the actual phone or ROM files. I had installed all of the drivers that every guide said to install, but I stumbled upon this post by @FoxyDrew that solved my issue.

Here's how I finally got into 10.5.12.IN21AA (Global ROM) on my IN2017:

1. Just to be safe (not sure if it's necessary) boot into TEST MODE on your Windows machine. I did all of this from Test Mode.
    2. Download the files from the zip attached at the bottom of the first post on this thread. Install both files (OnePlus USB Drivers and QDLoader HS-USB Driver).
    3. At some point I THOUGHT I installed the Fastboot drivers, but maybe I messed that part up or maybe it was before I was in Test Mode. Regardless, download the Google fastboot driver zip in this post. Unzip it to your desktop.
    4. Open the extracted folder and then the usb_driver folder inside, then right-click on the android_winusb.inf file and select Install. Confirm the installation.
    5. Plug in your phone.
    6. Open Device Manager. Your phone should show up under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as "IN2017" when it is in CHARGING ONLY mode, and under Portable Devices when in File Transfer mode or PNP mode. If not, you'll need to fix your USB drivers from step 2 above.
    7. Make sure you can get adb commands to work, then reboot to the bootloader ("adb reboot bootloader" should get you to the FastBoot Mode menu with the big green "START" banner at the top) and make sure fastboot commands also work ("fastboot devices" will show you if your phone is detected properly).
    8. Check Device Manager again while in bootloader mode - your phone should now show up under "Android Phone" as "Android Bootloader Interface." If it shows up as IN2017 with an exclamation mark, you need to fix the issues with the fastboot driver in step 4 above. I actually did this step while at the "waiting for device" message while flashing the Global ROM and it kick-started the installation's second phase.
    9. I also followed some steps from this post by @awsan - I copied the entire platform-tools folder that I downloaded from his post (r31.0.2) into the 10.5.12-GLOBAL folder, replacing all duplicate files. I don't think booting into fastboot like he says to do (language selection splash screen) worked, I had to boot into the bootloader from there to get the flash-all.bat to start.
    10. From here, I think I just double-clicked the flash-all.bat and everything worked properly - with the note that I was stuck at "waiting for device" after the first reboot command in the middle of the installation. The process in step 4 got me through this.
    This fixed my issues with not being able to flash critical partitions (because I suspect they re-lock when fastbootd switches into bootloader if you manually do it). Now it doesn't hang at all. I am going to play around with this to make sure I didn't miss anything and see if it works with other TMo firmware versions and the newer 11.0 Global ROM.

I have not tried locking the bootloader yet.

Oh, and 5G and VoLTE both appear to be working.
    Dear OnePlus 8 community,

This is my last time visiting y'all. Thank you for all the support and help you guys have gave me throughout the past year. You guys were the first community that I was a part of. I have now retired my OnePlus 8. This device is what entered me into the realm of XDA in the first place. This place will always be a part of my heart and I will cherish the memories I have experienced with it. This guide will be a step-by-step summary of all the guides scattered in the OnePlus 8 Guides Section. A reminder to the next OnePlus 8 users, don't let this community die and keep the old OnePlus Never Settle spirit, alive!

Sincerely, Aaron
    22 November 2022​

Credits to these amazing people for making this possible:
    I managed to successfully convert my OP8 to the global version this morning.

Here are a few things I can confirm:

- 5G and VoLTE are working on my device (Rogers network in Canada)
    - Banking apps work as expected
    - Widevine certification is exactly as it was prior (L1), meaning I can stream in full HD/HDR with Netflix
    - I was able to OTA update to the latest 11.0.10.10 without any issues at all

My first attempt trying this was a month ago. I was lazy and didn't roll the phone all the way back to Android 10 using the MSM tool. So I tried using "flash-all" with a newer global package and it did not work (crashdump error). Figured it was worth a shot... for whatever reason it just doesn't work. Ended up restoring with the MSM tool.

This time, I did this:
    1. Reverted back to official T-Mobile Android 10 using the MSM tool
    2. Unlocked my bootloader using the all-in-one tool + my unlock token
    3. Used the all-in-one tool to flash the global fastboot ROM (Android 10) linked in the original post
    4. Manually flashed the EU update from the device (also linked in original post)
    5. Locked the bootloader using the all-in-one tool
    6. Used the Oxygen Updater app to download the latest global full release (11.0.9.9) and installed it from my device
    7. Performed an OTA update, bringing me to 11.0.10.10
    Sorry for the long post. I thought it might help someone else out since I modified a few steps from the original post and found success with this approach.
    Thanks for the guide!! I just submitted my request to T-Mobile to unlock my boot loader so now I play the waiting game... 😴
    In the meantime, can someone please clarify what does converting from IN2017 to International achieve? Ultimately my goal is to flash a custom ROM - not sure if I can do this directly after unlocking my boot loader.
    IN2017 is Tmobile version of the phone and updates are late and you cant sideload an update because it is not available on carrier versions of the phone. Converting it to International version gives access to the latest updates, and some other features that weren't available to Tmobile version. If you do this method, you will lose Safetynet which is the ability to use bank apps and etc. So after converting you have to lock the bootloader if you wish to do anything related to banking.