[Guide]Confirmed fix/workaround for 4G reconnection issues

Search This thread

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
Originally posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=717307&page=3

This is a confirmed fix for the long lag time (5+ minutes) to reconnect after losing a 4G signal.
Those of us using a rom with the newest software 1.47.651.1 have been having issues with the 4G connection not reconnecting when losing 4G signal. These instructions fix this problem.

Requirements:
Your MSL code (See Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=697487)

Instructions:
Turn OFF your 4G radio if it is turned on!
1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
4) Click on the menu entry "WiMAX"
5) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
6) Enter the number 15 and click "OK" (This equals 15 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
7) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"
8) Enter the number 0 and click "OK" (This equals 0 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
9) Press the "Menu" key and click on "Commit Modifications"
10) Grab a cup of coffee, get a bite to eat, or sit back and wait for your EVO to restart

Testing:

1) Go to your phone's settings and click on "Wireless & networks"
2) Scroll down and click on 4G settings
3) Click on 4G to turn it on and wait for the status to change to "Connected to Sprint"
4) Without touching any of the menu items, cover the top half of your phone with your hands until the status changes to "Scanning..."
5) Uncover the top of the phone and count the seconds until it says "Connecting to Sprint"
6) Realize that you no longer have to cycle the 4G radio to reconnect :D

Result:
After modifying my EVO and my girlfriend's EVO and inputting these changes, the phone will reconnect to the 4G tower in as little as 20 seconds!
Yes, 20 seconds, the most I have seen so far is 30 seconds after dropping the connection. This is a HUGE improvement over the 5+ minutes to reconnect (300+ seconds).

Last edited:

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
It makes perfect sense. Instead of waiting 5 minutes to scan again it is lowered to 15. Of course this will also kill battery fast so make sure to turn off 4g if you aren't if you are leaving a 4g area, but you should do that anyways. :)

Good work, thanks for sharing!

saintsfan

Jun 7, 2010
i will have to try this one when I get home. I can't install the CDMA Workshop on this computer. But i hope this works for me as well. thanks for the post. :)

sdc177

Jan 15, 2010
Austin, TX
My post on the Q&A thread:

Holy ****! It works! THANK YOU!

Question: I had previously changed my idle sleep time to 300 from 10. Does that need to change?

Now I just need to figure out why my Wimax processes are constantly running when 4g is off (see my first logcat above) and thus killing my battery.

Last edited:

Ceger

Nov 10, 2007
My post on the Q&A thread:

Holy ****! It works! THANK YOU!

Question: I had previously changed my idle sleep time to 300 from 10. Does that need to change?

Now I just need to figure out why my Wimax processes are constantly running when 4g is off (see my first logcat above) and thus killing my battery.

That might be the issue I am having where my battery is dying very quickly. I also have the idle sleep time change to 300.

Your logcat results aren't posted, can you check what you tried to attach or link to?

What are other peoples idle sleep value set to?

Ceger

sdc177

Jan 15, 2010
Austin, TX
Ceger- got the pm, haven't had a chance to reply. The logcat is in the "reconnecting" thread in Q&A.

All- this method seemed to work for brief periods of being out of 4g range but it didn't work after a period of 3 hours.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
Ceger- got the pm, haven't had a chance to reply. The logcat is in the "reconnecting" thread in Q&A.

All- this method seemed to work for brief periods of being out of 4g range but it didn't work after a period of 3 hours.

I would test this myself, but my area is saturated with 4G.

One thing about this issue though... Unless your phone is plugged in during this entire time without 4G, the WiMAX radio is going to be sucking power. It would be good to turn it on when you need it and turn it off when you don't.

sdc177

Jan 15, 2010
Austin, TX
I would test this myself, but my area is saturated with 4G.

One thing about this issue though... Unless your phone is plugged in during this entire time without 4G, the WiMAX radio is going to be sucking power. It would be good to turn it on when you need it and turn it off when you don't.

I'm cool with battery drain when 4g is ON. But when turned OFF I see this every few seconds in the logcat and I'm concerned about how much this affects battery life not to mention I hate seeing the words "Incorrect" and "PROBLEM" in my log:

I/Wimax ( 161): <DC SOCKET READER DEBUG> Incorrect header was received
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 18281
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 21317
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 27467
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 28481
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 18778
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 17489
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 16977
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 17730
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 22082
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 30307
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 17440
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 16967
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 18994
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 20034
E/Wimax ( 161): <DCP HEADER PROBLEM> proVersion is 21577

redsolar

Jan 3, 2009
I'm cool with battery drain when 4g is ON. But when turned OFF I see this every few seconds in the logcat and I'm concerned about how much this affects battery life not to mention I hate seeing the words "Incorrect" and "PROBLEM" in my log:

I/Wimax ( 161): Incorrect header was received
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 18281
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 21317
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 27467
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 28481
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 18778
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 17489
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 16977
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 17730
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 22082
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 30307
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 17440
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 16967
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 18994
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 20034
E/Wimax ( 161): proVersion is 21577
As surprising as it is, these are acceptable and normal.

Thanks OP, the solution definitely works, confirmed by driving through about 5-6 4g zones last night while listening to Pandora, and it would pick 4g up nicely as it should

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
As surprising as it is, these are acceptable and normal.

Thanks OP, the solution definitely works, confirmed by driving through about 5-6 4g zones last night while listening to Pandora, and it would pick 4g up nicely as it should

Thank you for testing it on your drive. The only issue we can run into, like flipz said, is battery drain if the 4G radio is left on. So the best option is to turn it off if you are not using it or if it is not plugged in.

Sent from my HTC EVO via XDA App

mrkmrk

May 19, 2010
Austin, TX.
Unsure of whether this is related, but WiFi Tether has been terrible since I fixed my 4G. Granted, I hadn't used it since 4G broke, but...

Anyway, it connects just fine. Works just fine. After a while (could be 8 minutes, could be 20...), the wifi icon in my systray gets the little exclamation point (indicating a connection, but no internet access), and then promptly loses sight of the phone's connection. Simply doesn't appear in the list of networks at all. Works again if I disable and re-enable tethering, but then the process repeats. 4G is steadily connected at 3 bars the whole time.

Any thoughts, anybody? WiFi Tether is unusable like this, in which case there's little point in my using 4G at all :(.

EDIT: Baked Snack 9.6 w/ netarchy's 3.6.4 build, as well as Frozen Eclair 3.2 (though this happened previous to my installing Frozen Eclair, so that's probably not important), if that matters at all.

Last edited:

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
Unsure of whether this is related, but WiFi Tether has been terrible since I fixed my 4G. Granted, I hadn't used it since 4G broke, but...

Anyway, it connects just fine. Works just fine. After a while (could be 8 minutes, could be 20...), the wifi icon in my systray gets the little exclamation point (indicating a connection, but no internet access), and then promptly loses sight of the phone's connection. Simply doesn't appear in the list of networks at all. Works again if I disable and re-enable tethering, but then the process repeats. 4G is steadily connected at 3 bars the whole time.

Any thoughts, anybody? WiFi Tether is unusable like this, in which case there's little point in my using 4G at all :(.

EDIT: Baked Snack 9.6 w/ netarchy's 3.6.4 build, as well as Frozen Eclair 3.2 (though this happened previous to my installing Frozen Eclair, so that's probably not important), if that matters at all.

Unfortunately this is not related to this fix (my tethering is working fine on Fresh EVO 1.0.1), but you might look into uninstalling wifi tether and download the most recent update from google code, 2.0.5. http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

See if that fixes your issue.

mrkmrk

May 19, 2010
Austin, TX.
I've tried that, but it couldn't hurt to try again. Thanks for the suggestion; and I'll be out of this thread, since I'm off-topic :).

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
I've tried that, but it couldn't hurt to try again. Thanks for the suggestion; and I'll be out of this thread, since I'm off-topic :).

There is a bug report on this issue on google code. "PC loses IP address."

One suggested fix if it continues to happen with your computer, is to disable WEP encryption from within Android WiFi Tether. The problem with this workaround, is that you are going to be broadcasting everything in the clear. Your wireless traffic will be subject to sniffing. Of course this essentially would be irrelevant if someone captured your WEP key and then sniffed and decrypted your traffic... Until Froyo comes out with WPA2 encryption, then it will be generally unlikely that your wireless traffic will be compromised.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Originally posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=717307&page=3

This is a confirmed fix for the long lag time (5+ minutes) to reconnect after losing a 4G signal.
    Those of us using a rom with the newest software 1.47.651.1 have been having issues with the 4G connection not reconnecting when losing 4G signal. These instructions fix this problem.

Requirements:
    Your MSL code (See Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=697487)

Instructions:
    Turn OFF your 4G radio if it is turned on!
    1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
    2) Click on "Edit Mode"
    3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
    4) Click on the menu entry "WiMAX"
    5) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
    6) Enter the number 15 and click "OK" (This equals 15 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
    7) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"
    8) Enter the number 0 and click "OK" (This equals 0 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
    9) Press the "Menu" key and click on "Commit Modifications"
    10) Grab a cup of coffee, get a bite to eat, or sit back and wait for your EVO to restart

Testing:

1) Go to your phone's settings and click on "Wireless & networks"
    2) Scroll down and click on 4G settings
    3) Click on 4G to turn it on and wait for the status to change to "Connected to Sprint"
    4) Without touching any of the menu items, cover the top half of your phone with your hands until the status changes to "Scanning..."
    5) Uncover the top of the phone and count the seconds until it says "Connecting to Sprint"
    6) Realize that you no longer have to cycle the 4G radio to reconnect :D

Result:
    After modifying my EVO and my girlfriend's EVO and inputting these changes, the phone will reconnect to the 4G tower in as little as 20 seconds!
    Yes, 20 seconds, the most I have seen so far is 30 seconds after dropping the connection. This is a HUGE improvement over the 5+ minutes to reconnect (300+ seconds).
    Found out it was the rom I had that didn't support this...running azreal 2.1 and it supports the ## codes..

Better than advertised

After applying Geniusdog254's [GUIDE - YMMV] Connect to 4G sooner & stay on longer then this I actually get 4G's in my home when before I couldn't. After making the dog's changes I could get 4G at the house windows, and after adding these changes I can get it all through the house. Albeit POOR, but that is better than broke.

MAHALO XDA FORUM PEOPLE