[GUIDE] Convert TMO to EU via MSM Tool, no SIM Unlock or Bootloader Unlock needed!

Search This thread

allenjthomsen

Nov 17, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Nothing Phone 2
My Netflix won't work after the conversion to EU firmware via MSM tool. Any ideas? It says that Netflix needs updated and when I select "OK", it opens Play Store and says no update available. I've tried clearing app cache/data and clearing cache on the phone with no luck.
Goto apkmirror.com and find updated version and install

Hello, I just picked up two oneplus 8 5G IN2017 phones. They both boot with Tmobile software. Have two Tmobile apps. On the back they have sprint stickers which include the imei numbers. A phone call to oneplus confirmed that they are sprint phones. My question is when I tried to use this tool I got a image mitch match error. Can this tool be used on my devices or should I return them to Amazon?

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hello, I just picked up two oneplus 8 5G IN2017 phones. They both boot with Tmobile software. Have two Tmobile apps. On the back they have sprint stickers which include the imei numbers. A phone call to oneplus confirmed that they are sprint phones. My question is when I tried to use this tool I got a image mitch match error. Can this tool be used on my devices or should I return them to Amazon?
No, the 8T MSM is not compatible with the 8.

Reactions: Lz3807775t

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Thanks for your reply. I just returned them today via Ups. When my refund comes, I will be adding a few more bucks to it to grab two 8 pro's. I don't think that the 8 pro is carrier locked and, hopefully I will just need to fastboot unlock it to unlock the Bootloader for root. Correct me if I am wrong.
Correct, but you may want to be in the 8/8 pro forum, so you are aware of things like the persist.img finger print issue

Gibberish

Dec 8, 2006
Questions for those who are using two sims after the conversion to EU firmware: After the conversion, do the two sim slots get different imei numbers? If not, can one still use two different sims from the same (T-Mobile MVNO) provider on the phone? Thanks.

jcsww

Questions for those who are using two sims after the conversion to EU firmware: After the conversion, do the two sim slots get different imei numbers? If not, can one still use two different sims from the same (T-Mobile MVNO) provider on the phone? Thanks.
They share the same IMEI. T-Mobile doesn't lock device access out by IMEI. It checks for a valid SIM and checks to make sure the IMEI isn't blacklisted It doesn't care if there are multiple of the same IMEI on their network.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-201615.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-201615.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 119

Gibberish

Dec 8, 2006
They share the same IMEI. T-Mobile doesn't lock device access out by IMEI. It checks for a valid SIM and checks to make sure the IMEI isn't blacklisted It doesn't care if there are multiple of the same IMEI on their network.
Thanks for a quick reply! That is useful information for me.
I guess that there may be providers that do not like two sims sharing the same imei on their own network. Not a problem for me at this time. Could I run into problems if I try to use a SIM from T-Mobile and another from another provider (either US or a foreign one when I am traveling) ? That is, are there providers out there that can check and block the usage of the same imei even if the the two sims are using different providers? Thanks again.

Danny1976

Sep 27, 2009
Sanford
Just a few things i will input...

1. If you dont have sim unlock you can after flashing the msm unlock oem unlock via these commands in adb
adb shell
pm uninstall --user 0 com.qualcomm.qti.uim

You will need to be outside of developer options before inputting this command then go into it and you should be able to toggle oem unlocking

2. If you want a fast way to unlock the bootloader use TOOL ALL IN ONE and select unlock and normal device and you will be able to see a menu asking if you want to bootloader unlock the firmware.

3. then you can root device ect..

In my opinion i would say make sure your sim unlocked beforehand so you dont have to do step 1 to enable oem unlocking.

I would also update to the latest firmware after flashing the EU firmware via the system update menu .
then i would root and install twrp then make a backup of the current system before flashing roms/kernels.
This information should be in the main tutorial. It should be included after the TMO to EU rebranding tutorial. Most people after the conversation want to unlock bootloader and the OEM unlock it's grayed out in the Dev area. I think the mayority of people doing this tutorial have bootloader locked.

Even the main tutorial states that the option cannot be grayed out and you cannot unlock it. "Furthermore, if you are still SIM locked, you cannot unlock the bootloader, as the "OEM Unlocking" toggle in dev settings will still be greyed out."

allenjthomsen

Nov 17, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Nothing Phone 2
This information should be in the main tutorial. It should be included after the TMO to EU rebranding tutorial. Most people after the conversation want to unlock bootloader and the OEM unlock it's grayed out in the Dev area. I think the mayority of people doing this tutorial have bootloader locked.
I agree but owner hasnt responded so its here for other people once op responds it should be added

Reactions: Danny1976

Danny1976

Sep 27, 2009
Sanford
I agree but owner hasnt responded so its here for other people once op responds it should be added
I am glad I kept searching, because I was about to flash back to stock and call TMO to see if I could get it unlocked. The tutorial says it's not possible and most people would just take his word and not look further. Glad I found your post and was able to unlock bootloader. Thank you.

jcsww

I am glad I kept searching, because I was about to flash back to stock and call TMO to see if I could get it unlocked. The tutorial says it's not possible and most people would just take his word and not look further. Glad I found your post and was able to unlock bootloader. Thank you.
Personally, I don't feel the need to unlock the bootloader on mine but I did have T-Mobile SIM unlock my device before I flashed it. I did the same with my 2 OnePlus 7 Pro's. Even my old T-Mobile Sidekick's are SIM unlocked. Having your device SIM unlocked just makes it easier to sell or give to someone else when you get a new device.

Reactions: Lz3807775t

Danny1976

Sep 27, 2009
Sanford
Personally, I don't feel the need to unlock the bootloader on mine but I did have T-Mobile SIM unlock my device before I flashed it. I did the same with my 2 OnePlus 7 Pro's. Even my old T-Mobile Sidekick's are SIM unlocked. Having your device SIM unlocked just makes it easier to sell or give to someone else when you get a new device.
I agree, but that is not an option when you are still making payments on the device. Most people who are on T-Mobile finance their phones. It makes total sense that if the device is paid off... that you get it sim unlocked.

jcsww

I agree, but that is not an option when you are still making payments on the device. Most people who are on T-Mobile finance their phones. It makes total sense that if the device is paid off... that you get it sim unlocked.
Not necessarily. My 8T and 9 are still on EIP's and both unlocked. Just ask politely and if the rep you get doesn't want to do it. Try another rep. Try the T-Force Team via Facebook or Twitter.

Alexander Kalinin

Feb 19, 2009
Perm
Hi!
Error flash process:
[6656][11-30 12:51:19.087]<4> [1] Downloading rawprogram0 Label: super FileName: super.img
[6656][11-30 12:51:19.091]<4> [1] Flashing (super)
[6656][11-30 12:51:46.862]<4> [1] WriteFile Failed for Write, errno=(433)
[6656][11-30 12:51:46.863]<4> [1] FirehoseWriteData Failed, Errno: 433
[6656][11-30 12:51:46.863]<4> [1] [4123] Failed to write data to EMMC (433)
[6656][11-30 12:51:46.882]<4> [1] Failed to download super.img (-1)

Now boot to screen:
<Error!>
Upgrade download failed!
You can press any key exit this message.

And boot to bootloader.

How i can switch to EDL?
Thanks!

---------------------
Solved!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** Use this at your very own risk.
    *** You will lose all data
    *** Backup your working modem and persist, just in case
    *** Read the entire post and follow the steps closely before asking for help. Post all error messages and steps you took. Screenshots and MSM logs will be best.

!!! I have officially retired my 8T, and can no longer provide additional support on this device !!!

It's finally here! A MSM tool that will convert your T-Mobile OnePlus8T+5G to EU KB05BA. From here you can local upgrade to any OOS flavor you want. This gives you Local Upgrade option, faster upgrades, open betas, dual SIM, and more! In fact, after conversion, you can unlock the bootloader without the unlock token (still need to be SIM unlocked, but in case you don't want to wait for the unlock token or if OnePlus's website is broken)!

If you are still SIM locked, you lose the Unlock app for when your device becomes unlocked, it's only available in the stock TMO ROM. If you want to go back to TMO ROM at any point, flash back with the TMO MSM: https://xdaforums.com/t/op8t-oos-tmo-kb09cb-unbrick-tool-to-restore-your-device-to-oxygenos.4180981/

Steps:
    1. Download the MSM Conversion package:
      • AFH
        MD5: 5ddb543c8a5e7587e0b2ad24d2025e77
    2. Run MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe (Windows 7 users may need to run the win7 version included)
    3. Select User type: "Other" and press Next.
    4. Press "Start". Don't mess with the default settings.
    5. Put your phone in EDL mode.
      Code:
      adb reboot edl
      or completely turn off your device, hold vol up + vol down and plug in the cable.
    6. Wait about 5 minutes while it works.
    7. Done! If you keep the bootloader locked and run it stock, the About Phone page will be missing some fields.
    If you run into any MSM tool issues, most likely you have a driver problem. See the FAQ in @Some_Random_Username's post

Instructions to Bootloader Unlock a SIM locked device:

1. In ADB:
      Code:
      adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.qualcomm.qti.uim
    2. Reboot
    3. Go to dev settings and enable OEM Unlock
    4. Reboot to bootloader
    5. Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
      No unlock.bin needed

Old fastboot method

*** Know how to use the MSMTool, Don't start before figuring it out.
    *** DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE STEPS DESCRIBED IN THIS GUIDE

* The steps in this guide will convert your TMO KB2007/KB05CB to Global 11.0.5.6.KB05AA, or EU 11.0.3.4.KB05BA
    * NR and LTE bands are flashed in nvRAM, not in modem.img or any other partition. You cannot get global bands by flashing a global ROM, nor can you lose TMO bands by flashing another ROM.
    * Instructions are the same as running any other MSM unbrick tool.
    * You can use this guide to convert to your own variant by extracting payload and flashing from a full OTA. See manual instructions towards the end.
    * Use the latest platform tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools, https://xdaforums.com/android/general/tool-adb-fastboot-installer-tool-windows-t3999445. DO NOT USE MINIMAL ADB, it has not been updated for years and will cause a crash where you'll need to MSM back to stock.
    * Make sure your drivers are up to date. This guide will not walk you through setting up platform tools or updating drivers. When encountering fastboot issues, make sure to include the output of fastboot --version in your post.
    * Do not ask for OTAs, MSMs, or anything else not related to the steps described herein. There are plenty of threads around for those.
    * This guide does not pertain to Cyberpunk conversion. See other threads.
    * This guide converts you to an older firmware so you can take a FULL OTA via Oxygen Updater. Do not skip this step if you want a stable build.

Steps to convert your device to Global or EU
    As simple as possible:
    1. You need your device bootloader and SIM unlocked. Follow the instructions here (It says 6T, but applies to all OP devices): https://support.oneplus.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/588/~/how-to-unlock-bootloader-for-oneplus-6t-(t-mobile-edition)
    2. Download and unzip the conversion package:
    3. Boot to fastbootd.
      • From adb:
        Code:
        adb reboot fastboot
      • From fastboot/bootloader:
        Code:
        fastboot reboot fastboot
      • If you are having trouble booting into fastbootd, and have a FC number at the bottom of the bootloader screen, you'll need to MSM to factory first.
    4. [*]You should be at a screen that says "fastbootd" on top. DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU ARE NOT HERE. SEE HIDDEN FOR AN EXAMPLE.
      bJDcOTg.jpg
    5. Execute "flash_all.bat" for Windows, or "flash_all.sh" for Linux, from the unzipped directory from step 2 as cwd.
    6. Optional: Flash magisk'd boot
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot_magisk_patched.img
    7. Reboot into recovery, and wipe everything.
    8. Once fully booted, download Oxygen Updater, set your device to OnePlus 8T of your regional choice and local upgrade to the latest OTA of your regional choice.
    9. Optional: You can re-lock your bootloader at thois point. DO NOT TRY before the full OTA upgrade above, or you'll have to MSM.

Manually:

1. Unlock bootloader
    2. Download the full OTA of your choosing
    3. Extract the OTA payload with https://github.com/vm03/payload_dumper or https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=818070582850510260
    4. With the output of the payload as your cwd, execute:
      Code:
      fastboot flash product product.img
      fastboot flash abl abl.img
      fastboot flash aop aop.img
      fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
      fastboot flash cmnlib cmnlib.img
      fastboot flash cmnlib64 cmnlib64.img
      fastboot flash devcfg devcfg.img
      fastboot flash dsp dsp.img
      fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
      fastboot flash featenabler featenabler.img
      fastboot flash hyp hyp.img
      fastboot flash imagefv imagefv.img
      fastboot flash keymaster keymaster.img
      fastboot flash logo logo.img
      fastboot flash mdm_oem_stanvbk mdm_oem_stanvbk.img
      fastboot flash modem modem.img
      fastboot flash multiimgoem multiimgoem.img
      fastboot flash odm odm.img
      fastboot flash qupfw qupfw.img
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
      fastboot flash spunvm spunvm.img
      fastboot flash storsec storsec.img
      fastboot flash system system.img
      fastboot flash system_ext system_ext.img
      fastboot flash tz tz.img
      fastboot flash uefisecapp uefisecapp.img
      fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
      fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
      fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
      fastboot flash xbl xbl.img
      fastboot flash xbl_config xbl_config.img
    5. Replace boot.img with your magisk'd boot if desired
    6. Reboot to recovery and wipe everything

Troubleshooting

• Error: "remote: no such file or directory"
      You are not in the correct cwd. Fastboot needs to be accessible from the same directory as the .img files, so fix your PATH or make a copy fastboot.exe in the same directory as the .img files
    • Error: "remote: Flashing is not allowed for Critical Partitions"
      You are not in fastbootd. Check step 4.
    • Error: "Invalid sparse file format at header magic"
      Ignore this message, not an error

Special thanks to:
    @jwarrior319 for the initial linux script
    @cammykool and @awr128 for helping debug some of the steps and clarifying pain points

@radiohead7778580 for a better Global conversion

Fixing the About Phone page

These steps are optional, and will fix the "About Phone" page. There are no performance differences.
    1. You need to rooted with Magisk
    2. Download the fix: here
    3. In the Modules page in MagiskManager, Install the downloaded zip file via "Install from storage"
    4. Reboot, the About Phone page is filled out.

Issues so far (please post if you run into more):
    • In OOS11, "About phone" page does not work properly.
      • Use the magisk module above to fix it.
    • In OOS12, Dual SIM is not supported.
      • A11 based A12 ROMs support Dual SIM after conversion, use my enable_dsds module.
    • Unlocked bootloader without unlock_token must be done while in OOS11, as OOS12+ ABL will check that a token is needed
    I'm glad that the global version is working for everybody!!! For my next trick I'll be trying to mod the MSM Tool for a straight conversation without the need to unlock, stay tuned. I'm going to be needing testers let me know if you're interested.
    MSM conversion tool is uploaded.
    Guide updated, no more fastboot flashing needed!
    Thank you for all the people willing to participate. I will keep everybody posted on my progress!!
    You only get 1 IMEI but it's been working. I've been dailying dual SIM since conversion so long ago. However, I use Mint (T-Mobile MVNO) and T-Mobile postpaid, so that could explain why it works flawlessly.

I just put in an ATT SIM card side-by-side with TMo and both works.