[GUIDE] Convert TMO to Global, EU, or other variant

badpanda

Dec 29, 2011
NYC/Stamford
You would think that after three months we would have a smooth full pledge Global conversion with everything working including visual cosmetic flaws like the about section... I went back to TMobile version after latest horrible oneplus update but even so the conversion wasn't 100% smooth and sometimes will act weird.switched back had no issues and three TMobile updates one being almost 1GB and now we have AOD.

awr128

Dec 7, 2019
No way, were not technically supposed to be converting from TMO to Global. Just because there's a way, doesn't mean OnePlus fully supports it, they allow it but aren't going out of their way to make it easy or 100 percent full compatible or proper. We're just luck we can.

androidbuff123

Aug 24, 2011
I converted mine from TMO to global version. I got the notification for the 11.0.6.8 OTA update on system settings. However it says installation failed. The message comes up after I click on download and install. It takes a few seconds and then it says install failed. It doesn't reboot the phone or anything like that. Since I'm unlocked and rooted, I was hoping to take the OTA update and before rebooting, install magisk in active slot to keep root. But I'm getting this install failed message. Is it because of the conversion? Can anyone help? Was anyone able to do the same successfully ?

Attachments

stmims1124

Sep 28, 2010
Gaithersburg, MD
I converted mine from TMO to global version. I got the notification for the 11.0.6.8 OTA update on system settings. However it says installation failed. The message comes up after I click on download and install. It takes a few seconds and then it says install failed. It doesn't reboot the phone or anything like that. Since I'm unlocked and rooted, I was hoping to take the OTA update and before rebooting, install magisk in active slot to keep root. But I'm getting this install failed message. Is it because of the conversion? Can anyone help? Was anyone able to do the same successfully ?
If you're rooted, an update will not work without doing a local upgrade, for which you need the full 2GB+sized update full install file that is not yet available. A regular OTA won't work. Unfortunately the full firmware files for this NA/Global unlocked ROM have been extremely slow to get out to the public. OnePlus has been releasing firmware files for the EU & Indian ROMs, but for whatever reason the global ROM users such as yourself/myself/many on this thread are left waiting. So until that file gets dropped, the only way you're updating (short of converting to maybe the EU ROM) would be to completely unroot, relock your bootloader (which I believe will wipe the phone again), take the update...and even after you've updated, you won't be able to root I think, not without a way to pull the boot.img and patch it. If there's a way to pull the boot.img without the full ROM file, I'd love to be told how...I'd gladly accept being proven wrong here! So we're all sitting tight on 11.5.0.6, just awaiting the 11.5.0.8 file to drop, and hoping it doesn't take forever this time (it likely will). This is the reason this conversion guide was only for the EU ROM for some time, only updated once the full global ROM firmware file became available. Blah.

Reactions: RussianBear

androidbuff123

Aug 24, 2011
If you're rooted, an update will not work without doing a local upgrade, for which you need the full 2GB+sized update full install file that is not yet available. A regular OTA won't work. Unfortunately the full firmware files for this NA/Global unlocked ROM have been extremely slow to get out to the public. OnePlus has been releasing firmware files for the EU & Indian ROMs, but for whatever reason the global ROM users such as yourself/myself/many on this thread are left waiting. So until that file gets dropped, the only way you're updating (short of converting to maybe the EU ROM) would be to completely unroot, relock your bootloader (which I believe will wipe the phone again), take the update...and even after you've updated, you won't be able to root I think, not without a way to pull the boot.img and patch it. If there's a way to pull the boot.img without the full ROM file, I'd love to be told how...I'd gladly accept being proven wrong here! So we're all sitting tight on 11.5.0.6, just awaiting the 11.5.0.8 file to drop, and hoping it doesn't take forever this time (it likely will). This is the reason this conversion guide was only for the EU ROM for some time, only updated once the full global ROM firmware file became available. Blah.
Thank you. As far as pulling the boot.img, that's easy enough. I've done that before too. Here is a guide.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-oneplus-8t-easy-root-for-all-unlocked-variants.4210775/

Reactions: stmims1124

Lost Dog

Jun 12, 2009
North of the Columbia River
Successfully converted from T-Mo to Global. Thanks for the help and effort of everyone here! Didn't have the time to mess around with rooting so I relocked the bootloader (and of course, didn't read the part about flashing the full global before re-locking and got the corrupted system). One MSM later I did the conversion again and flashed the full OTA from the OP site.

I'm good now....

What's the verdict on the modem? Have people found the T-Mo modem to be better than global?

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
Successfully converted from T-Mo to Global. Thanks for the help and effort of everyone here! Didn't have the time to mess around with rooting so I relocked the bootloader (and of course, didn't read the part about flashing the full global before re-locking and got the corrupted system). One MSM later I did the conversion again and flashed the full OTA from the OP site.

I'm good now....

What's the verdict on the modem? Have people found the T-Mo modem to be better than global?
No noticeable difference here. I backed up mine just in case.
5g:
Screenshot_20210112-121327.jpg

Lte:
Screenshot_20210112-121233.jpg

Last edited:

vinay427

Aug 17, 2010
My converted-to-Global device finally received the OTA yesterday to 11.0.6.8 from 11.0.5.6. Oxygen Updater may have shown it a little sooner, but I preferred to wait and see whether the official OTA rollouts would actually show up on my converted device and it did. The upgrade itself went smoothly for me although the changes are minor.

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
My converted-to-Global device finally received the OTA yesterday to 11.0.6.8 from 11.0.5.6. Oxygen Updater may have shown it a little sooner, but I preferred to wait and see whether the official OTA rollouts would actually show up on my converted device and it did. The upgrade itself went smoothly for me although the changes are minor.
Are you rooted or did you relock and then got the incremental?

twoxa

Jun 10, 2009
Boston
Hmmm looks like things have changed since 7 series. Not even sure if converting worth it anymore, getting good battery life on latest tmo. Just need root, but can't obtain it because I'm not sim unlocked and I'm not on tmo network, while phone is paid off.

Grin59

Sep 5, 2018
I am at a complete loss, I followed the instructions in the OP with the latest platform tools and such but I always boot right back into the t mobile rom even if I change slots and then flash again. And after I flash there's no way to local upgrade or push an update so I really don't know how anyone else is getting this to work.

Lost Dog

Jun 12, 2009
I am at a complete loss, I followed the instructions in the OP with the latest platform tools and such but I always boot right back into the t mobile rom even if I change slots and then flash again. And after I flash there's no way to local upgrade or push an update so I really don't know how anyone else is getting this to work.
The problem has got to be between the chair and the keyboard...

Are you totally unlocked? Both from T-Mo and with the unlock_code.bin from OnePlus? Are you doing it manually or using a script (either linux or windows)? Any error codes showing during the process?

Have you tried a MSM to totally nuke everything then start from scratch? Might be the way to go... Use the MSM and you'll be totally stock and should not have any issues. I hosed my conversion by not flashing the full ROM before re-locking the boot loader. I used the MSM from this forum then did the conversion again without issue.

Reactions: RussianBear

Grin59

Sep 5, 2018
The problem has got to be between the chair and the keyboard...

Are you totally unlocked? Both from T-Mo and with the unlock_code.bin from OnePlus? Are you doing it manually or using a script (either linux or windows)? Any error codes showing during the process?

Have you tried a MSM to totally nuke everything then start from scratch? Might be the way to go... Use the MSM and you'll be totally stock and should not have any issues. I hosed my conversion by not flashing the full ROM before re-locking the boot loader. I used the MSM from this forum then did the conversion again without issue.
I am completely unlocked, I am using the flash file in the zip, no errors. And I use msm.

What exactly are you doing to have this flashed?

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
I am completely unlocked, I am using the flash file in the zip, no errors. And I use msm.

Are you sure you flash it fastbotd and not just fastboot? Do you see the flash commands succeed for each partition?

Grin59

Sep 5, 2018
Are you sure you flash it fastbotd and not just fastboot? Do you see the flash commands succeed for each partition?
Yes I was in fastbootd, I am going to try once more. After it flashes I can't seem to get it to boot into the international rom, I can't push local updates in the t-mobile version even with root. But I am going to try once more and post what my fix was if I can find one

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
Screenshot the flashing process. Just hit flash-all.bat

P.s. "If you are having trouble booting into fastbootd, and have a FC number at the bottom of the bootloader screen, you'll need to MSM to factory first."

Lost Dog

Jun 12, 2009

Have you put some lambs blood on the doorpost?

What version of fastboot are you using? There may be some issues with older versions (or the minimal install). Sounds like you are using Windows... I did all mine (with the exception of the MSM) on linux Mint.

Here's the script I used to flash:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
fastboot flash product product.img
fastboot flash abl abl.img
fastboot flash aop aop.img
fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cmnlib cmnlib.img
fastboot flash cmnlib64 cmnlib64.img
fastboot flash devcfg devcfg.img
fastboot flash dsp dsp.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash featenabler featenabler.img
fastboot flash hyp hyp.img
fastboot flash imagefv imagefv.img
fastboot flash keymaster keymaster.img
fastboot flash logo logo.img
fastboot flash mdm_oem_stanvbk mdm_oem_stanvbk.img
fastboot flash modem modem.img
fastboot flash multiimgoem multiimgoem.img
fastboot flash odm odm.img
fastboot flash qupfw qupfw.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash spunvm spunvm.img
fastboot flash storsec storsec.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash system_ext system_ext.img
fastboot flash tz tz.img
fastboot flash uefisecapp uefisecapp.img
fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot flash xbl xbl.img
fastboot flash xbl_config xbl_config.img
The only difference between the .bat script in the zip and this is the one I used does not have the
fastboot reboot bootloader" command. Maybe try deleting that line so you are not rebooting the bootloader before you boot to recovery and wipe everything.

Grin59

Sep 5, 2018
Have you put some lambs blood on the doorpost?

What version of fastboot are you using? There may be some issues with older versions (or the minimal install). Sounds like you are using Windows... I did all mine (with the exception of the MSM) on linux Mint.

Here's the script I used to flash:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
fastboot flash product product.img
fastboot flash abl abl.img
fastboot flash aop aop.img
fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cmnlib cmnlib.img
fastboot flash cmnlib64 cmnlib64.img
fastboot flash devcfg devcfg.img
fastboot flash dsp dsp.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash featenabler featenabler.img
fastboot flash hyp hyp.img
fastboot flash imagefv imagefv.img
fastboot flash keymaster keymaster.img
fastboot flash logo logo.img
fastboot flash mdm_oem_stanvbk mdm_oem_stanvbk.img
fastboot flash modem modem.img
fastboot flash multiimgoem multiimgoem.img
fastboot flash odm odm.img
fastboot flash qupfw qupfw.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash spunvm spunvm.img
fastboot flash storsec storsec.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash system_ext system_ext.img
fastboot flash tz tz.img
fastboot flash uefisecapp uefisecapp.img
fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot flash xbl xbl.img
fastboot flash xbl_config xbl_config.img
The only difference between the .bat script in the zip and this is the one I used does not have the
fastboot reboot bootloader" command. Maybe try deleting that line so you are not rebooting the bootloader before you boot to recovery and wipe everything.
Well I got it to flash, feel like an idiot but I did the manual guide in op with an OTA I got from the oxygen updater app and now it's booting