[Guide] Convert to Global [WIP]

arielaffy

Jan 1, 2021
Dominican Republic
Use the MSM for 10.5.7 then reinstall the drivers that oneplus offers you when you connect the phone to the pc. I did the whole process again of unlocking the bootloader. After that I did the installation of the global software and it was installed without giving me any problem. Lock the bootloader again and update via ota to Oxygen 11

The fingerprint and the signal works. perfectly and I did not backup any of that.

Attachments

garypix

Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles
Use the MSM for 10.5.7 then reinstall the drivers that oneplus offers you when you connect the phone to the pc. I did the whole process again of unlocking the bootloader. After that I did the installation of the global software and it was installed without giving me any problem. Lock the bootloader again and update via ota to Oxygen 11

The fingerprint and the signal works. perfectly and I did not backup any of that.
Thanks! Do you mind sharing the link to the drivers? Also, did you take any OTA updates after you MSM to 10.5.7 (i.e.:10.5.10)?

danielofata

Oct 28, 2014
No, you don't need to install the modem, the international modem works just fine. Once your device is sim unlocked AND bootloader unlocked: use MSM to flash back to 10.5.7, unlock bootloader again, flash Twrp, back up Persist.img and modem.img. Transfer those files to your computer. Then update to 10.5.9 via OTA, then you're good to convert through fastboot. I backed up persist.img and modem.img, but never ended up needing either. That being said, take the extra 20 minutes and back them up before you convert. Might end up saving your phone a trip to China!
How did you update to 10.5.9 via OTA? Already on 10.5.7 Tmob firmware, backed up img files... When I go to the system updates goes directly to 10.5.23...

Last edited:

danielofata

Oct 28, 2014
No, you don't need to install the modem, the international modem works just fine. Once your device is sim unlocked AND bootloader unlocked: use MSM to flash back to 10.5.7, unlock bootloader again, flash Twrp, back up Persist.img and modem.img. Transfer those files to your computer. Then update to 10.5.9 via OTA, then you're good to convert through fastboot. I backed up persist.img and modem.img, but never ended up needing either. That being said, take the extra 20 minutes and back them up before you convert. Might end up saving your phone a trip to China!
How did you update from 10.5.7 to 10.5.9 via OTA? Those where my steps:
1. MSM 10.5.7 Tmob
2. Flashed unlock code.bin
3. fastboot oem unlock
4. Flashed TWRP backup modem and persist via ADB and Maisk
5. How do I update to 10.5.9??? When I enter system updates it offers me 10.5.23!!

danielofata

Oct 28, 2014
Just flashed the latest T-Mo 10.5.20 MSM ROM. I then fastboot flashed to International 10.5.12. Then local upgrade to OOS 11 Beta 2.

No issues :p
Reboot to EDL mode
flashed MSM 10.5.20
Setup enabled oem unlocking and usb debugging
Reboot to recovery
Flashed unlock code.bin
Fastboot oem unlock
wait untill boots, no setup reboot to fastboot again
flash-all.bat from international 10.5.12 - after a few seconds phone boot to recovery and CMD stuck on < waiting for any device >
PLEASE HELP!! =::::....(

danielofata

Oct 28, 2014
Please I need help!
Tried so many ways and no luck!! My theory is im doin something wrong with bootloader unlock process, but theese are my steps
1. Flash MSM Tmob 10.5.7 (
2. Setup device, enable oem unlocking and reboot to fastboot
3. Flash unlock code.bin
4. Fastboot oem unlock
5. Repeat step 2
6. flash-all.bat international firmware (like 5 different versions)
7. while flashing international fimware when reboots to recovery (or fastbootd) CMD is stuck on < waiting for any device >

Any tips?

sjgoel

Jan 16, 2012
Phoenix
I will be taking the plunge over the weekend. What is the best way to backup & bypass the trip to China?

Ostrich Egg

Jan 30, 2011
Worked perfectly for me, thanks!
1. Used MSM to downgrade to 10.5.7
2. Unlocked bootloader
3. Flashed 10.5.21 international with fastboot/flash-all
4. Upgraded to 11.0.0 via OTA
5. Found out there's no TWRP for 11 yet so sitting here unrooted 🥴

garypix

Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles
Worked perfectly for me, thanks!
1. Used MSM to downgrade to 10.5.7
2. Unlocked bootloader
3. Flashed 10.5.21 international with fastboot/flash-all
4. Upgraded to 11.0.0 via OTA
5. Found out there's no TWRP for 11 yet so sitting here unrooted 🥴
Thanks for sharing. Did you need to install any drivers before MSM? Also, which drivers did you use for fastboot? TIA!

Ostrich Egg

Jan 30, 2011
Thanks for sharing. Did you need to install any drivers before MSM? Also, which drivers did you use for fastboot? TIA!
No drivers before fastboot. Windows detected fine. Later, I did install the OnePlus drivers included with the phone and it still worked fine.

For MSM, I had to manually force the device to use the Qualcomm driver rather than the detected Quectel driver. I don't think this came from any drivers I installed, but I could be wrong:

xxBrun0xx

Jan 1, 2012
CT
No drivers before fastboot. Windows detected fine. Later, I did install the OnePlus drivers included with the phone and it still worked fine.

For MSM, I had to manually force the device to use the Qualcomm driver rather than the detected Quectel driver. I don't think this came from any drivers I installed, but I could be wrong:

Just a heads up, you can definitely root android 11 without Twrp by flashing a rooted boot.img in fastboot. I'm sure there's a thread on it in the forums, but if not I can send you that pre-rooted boot.img.

Ostrich Egg

Jan 30, 2011
Just a heads up, you can definitely root android 11 without Twrp by flashing a rooted boot.img in fastboot. I'm sure there's a thread on it in the forums, but if not I can send you that pre-rooted boot.img.
Thanks! Didn't realize Magisk could do that now. Got the boot.img patched and installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxBrun0xx

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I figure this may be as good a thread to ask this question in as any... I've apparently messed up my slot b... As in even after using the msm tool and taking the OTA, if I attempt to boot system or recovery from slot b I go straight to crash dump mode... I can still boot into fastboot and edl while on slot b. From fastboot I can use "fastboot boot <twrp.img>" and get to TWRP that way while still on slot b, but that's it.

My question is this: is it safe to modify each entry in the flashall.bat in the global fastboot firmware from the standard "fastboot flash <partition> <file.img>" to "fastboot flash <partition_b> <file.img>"?

Will this likely have the desired effect? Are there any partitions in the flashall.bat that maybe don't get flashed to slot b?

garypix

Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the help on this thread. I got my unlock bin file from OnePlus yesterday and was able to unlock the bootloader on my TMO OP8. Here's what I did to convert my TMO OP8 to global version:

1. signed out of all services and deleted all fingerprints on the phone before unlocking bootloader, unlock bootloader using Fastboot
2. MSM to TMO 10.5.20 (had some issues with the driver but ultimately got it working)
3. Unlocked bootloader again using the unlock bin file
4. Flashed 10.5.12 international using a PC and the flash-all command (be patient, it takes a while)
5. Upgraded to 11.0.2.2 International via OTA
6. Relocked bootloader to get Netflix working again

No root, no TWRP - as I use this phone for work and there's no need to tinker.

No issues with fingerprint, I didn't backup persist, YMMV.

Reactions: ImDonly1