• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[Guide] Convert to Global [WIP]

free4flight

Sep 21, 2011
Denver
very easy fix hold volume+ and power force reboot then reboot to recovery twrp or stock either way easy to fix stock has reset system settings amd keeps data last resort qcom flash it 9008
Tried that already, it boots into fastboot mode but can't use that since bootloader was locked by unbrick tool. Unbrick tool will work but when it goes to reboot into system... qualcom crashdump mode.... I can't get out of it to boot into system

free4flight

Sep 21, 2011
Denver
did you have magisk imstalled and did it keep imei and other important numbers qcom edl will flash it just did moto that relocked and has wrong system
I was unlocked, with root and with Magisk installed, all was great except no signal, I flashed my saved tmobile modem, but didn't work. I have tried everything thrown at me. But when I decided to go back to original by flashing unbrick software, it happened to where I cannot boot now. Stuck in crashdump. Now I have to send to OP for fix.

Temujin503

Jun 10, 2020
Globals dats speeds are lagging

Since I converted to the global firmware i have seen a huge decrease in my data speeds at home (the only place I've been since the firmware conversion)

T-mobiles 10.5.8 OOS was definitely optimized for the t-mobile network, considering flashing back because i was getting a pretty decent 5g speed at home and now i am getting just lousy HSDPA+.

I didnt think there would be such a huge gap distance between the signal strength considering Re-flashing the T-Mobile modem was required to get service.

honestly its almost a complete deal breaker as i dont want to be on a snail speed signal.

Anybody have any ideas for optimizing signal strength?

garz

Jan 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Since I converted to the global firmware i have seen a huge decrease in my data speeds at home (the only place I've been since the firmware conversion)

T-mobiles 10.5.8 OOS was definitely optimized for the t-mobile network, considering flashing back because i was getting a pretty decent 5g speed at home and now i am getting just lousy HSDPA+.

I didnt think there would be such a huge gap distance between the signal strength considering Re-flashing the T-Mobile modem was required to get service.

honestly its almost a complete deal breaker as i dont want to be on a snail speed signal.

Anybody have any ideas for optimizing signal strength?
I am going to be flashing this weekend to global. Or was going to... I'll take some speed tests at work and at home and then try it again when I flash over to global.

Sad part is that, once your unlocked you'll loose the ability to get T-mobile updates. Unless someone will port them over for local updating through twrp.

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
i uploaded modem for T-Mobile you can fastboot flash to fix lag im on global with modem .img (i grabbed twrp backup someone was really nice and upload) i get 90-140mbs peakout at 200mbps it was 40 when i bought stock

Last edited:

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
june 7th i flashed global rebooted had no net put ota on internal to update by local storage (thats reason we flash global to get update by local) updated did reboot and usb debugging thing used payload dump on pc to get boot.img patched with magisk booted magisk then flashed twrp with newly booted magisk (⁰dont flash only boot it) boot to twrp flash magisk and used the twrp back up from here https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...-to-global-t4105885/post82774049#post82774049 POST #35he really saved me with this backup i moved to twrp backup folder the modem only rebooted to twrp restored twrp only

Attachments

Last edited:

Temujin503

Jun 10, 2020
can i flash roms for now on converted tmobile one plus 8?

I know its a silly question but after converting to global can i flash any rom for one plus 8?

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
i uploaded modem for T-Mobile you can fastboot flash to fix lag im on global with modem .img (i grabbed twrp backup someone was really nice and upload) i get 90-140mbs peakout at 200mbps it was 40 when i bought stock
Just be sure: fastboot flash modem modem.img

Correct? You are/were right. Doggone global build data speeds do lag.

Temujin503

Jun 10, 2020
Camera error

Anyone else getting an entirely green screen when trying to use portrait mode on the global firmware? My camera whenever i switch to portrait mode only shows a solid green image instead of an actual picture o

esjames

Nov 8, 2013
Cheriton
I ended up replacing the modem in the 10.5.7-GLOBAL with the tmobile modem file BEFORE using the flash-all, all worked well. Booted with signal right out of the gate. I used the MSM tool to tmobile stock and went to global. LTE speeds are right on par in my area(no 5g yet)

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
What I did to fix my phone was use payload dumped on pc to the newest ota 10.59 oos I moved the dumped img files to 10.57 and over wrote files commands work but kept getting crash dump so I flashed stock boot_a and boot_b did recovery_a and _b also then booted stock recovery fastboot reboot fastboot uses that so then I could reboot to bootloader then fastboot reboot fastboot and it worked easy if you need boot omg or magical patched for 59 I can upload now

parsa5

Jul 24, 2011
I'm about to get my OnePlus 8 TMobile version tomorrow( took advantage of the free line plus half off the device). I have a couple of questions as it seems the process to convert has changed since the 6T:

Are people having success with the conversion to global ROM? Seems like lots of modem issues in this thread.

Once converted, can we update via ota or will it need to be manually?

Lastly, can we run custom ROMs based on the global version, after conversion?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Nighthawk31

TheKnux

Sep 28, 2011
Akron
If anyone has any questions on how to upgrade from the T-Mobile firmware to Global, feel free to mention, PM, or hit me up on Telegram. Same username as on here. Might be able to help as best as I can. Hit a few bumps here and there while trying to convert, but all is well now. Thanks @matteosaeed. ??

Reactions: levil401

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
I ended up replacing the modem in the 10.5.7-GLOBAL with the tmobile modem file BEFORE using the flash-all, all worked well. Booted with signal right out of the gate. I used the MSM tool to tmobile stock and went to global. LTE speeds are right on par in my area(no 5g yet)
I finally gave in and flashed using the new instructions.... modem is toast :(
https://mega.nz/file/u8Fiza4J#ALKtQ6kKk36AQUzOHQBV4CWTtg8fsOyNN7zJ5lOesfA newest modem 10.59 picture is modem
version fastboot reboot fastboot then fastboot flash modem_a , then modem_b and heres patched boot magisk you boot it https://mega.nz/file/vw1SWaSb#ej3MsvFqZYN7lvH3lv3xY-Z4a1jnLNMxXTeW2x__aJk

Attachments

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone