[GUIDE] CWM-flashable AT&T UCALH9 OTA

Search This thread

vmxice

Aug 16, 2011
Anchorage
Can I use the OP steps if I updated the OTA but it said it failed?

This is what my phone info says now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 [AT&T GS3 Stock Rom] using xda-developers app
I applied the OTA.zip file over the top of my over the air update I did last night. It worked fine with no problems yet. Make sure you do a backup first though.

bigdog533

Jan 10, 2011
I have root and still running stock ROM and I followed the steps but still had the update stop. I have flashed Androids before but I'm having problems with this one. If some could give me some ideas I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
I'm on Mr. Robinsons root injected UCALEM with cmw and many mods and deleted bloatware. I never bothered to update to his UCALG1. Here's my question, is there any way to just flash the UCALG1 stock with cmw instead of using ODIN so that I can use the method in this thread to get to UCALH9? I'm on my macbook so using ODIN is a bit difficult. There has to be an easier way to get to stock. Am I missing a stock UCALG1 rom out there that's flashable via cwm?

fmllc

May 24, 2012
My wifi is all jacked up! Keeps losing connection and regaining every so often....will flashing a previous modem fix this?

Galaxy S III I747

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro
I'm on Mr. Robinsons root injected UCALEM with cmw and many mods and deleted bloatware. I never bothered to update to his UCALG1. Here's my question, is there any way to just flash the UCALG1 stock with cmw instead of using ODIN so that I can use the method in this thread to get to UCALH9? I'm on my macbook so using ODIN is a bit difficult. There has to be an easier way to get to stock. Am I missing a stock UCALG1 rom out there that's flashable via cwm?

The important part is that if you use mrrobbinson's Odin files then you won't lose applications through the whole process, even starting where you are. The only thing that I have to reinstall was wifi apn data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
The important part is that if you use mrrobbinson's Odin files then you won't lose applications through the whole process, even starting where you are. The only thing that I have to reinstall was wifi apn data.

Yes I understand but with Titanium and nandroids I'm pretty sure I'll be good. I just can't believe there's no way to flash a UCALG1 rooted stock rom with cwm.

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
I have root and still running stock ROM and I followed the steps but still had the update stop. I have flashed Androids before but I'm having problems with this one. If some could give me some ideas I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance

I need to see the complete error message it gives you when it stops to know how to fix it.

altitude909

Apr 13, 2011
Walled Lake, Michigan
Worked like a charm, thanks!

Did a back up of my debloated build, went back to my backup of my rooted stock, installed the zip, restored data from my debloated build (all via the latest CWM from UCALG1). Done!

husky55

Mar 4, 2011
Madison, CT
OnePlus 7T
Worked like a charm, thanks!

Did a back up of my debloated build, went back to my backup of my rooted stock, installed the zip, restored data from my debloated build (all via the latest CWM from UCALG1). Done!

I already applied the OTA update to my rooted SGS3 prior to reading this thread. I lost root and then I had the most frustrating problem, my CWM will not work, not matter how may times I flashed it. It always reverted to stock recovery and to make it worse, the stock recovery crashed on me. I struggled with this problem for 2 days, 10 hours each day. But I finally fixed it.

I only mentioned this because as I read this thread I just think that if I have had this CWM flash OTA by drothenberger I would not have to spend 2 days pulling my hair out.

The method by drothenberger is the most comprehensive and best method to apply the OTA update. I went through hell without it.

Please tap the Thanks button for a great job at the very least !!!

:)

Reactions: drothenberger

cheetablaze

Jul 17, 2007
Goldsboro, NC
Awesome! Worked on the first try, thanks a lot! I kinda wish there was a recovery .zip that we could use to go back to rooted LH1. I haven't turned on my computer in a long time to do fancy work on a cellphone.

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Confused. Someone who flashed this ota now has LH9. Can't they just create a flashable zip of their current system partition? We already have kernel and radio. That way people on LH1 can just update to LH9 without any issues? Make sense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
Confused. Someone who flashed this ota now has LH9. Can't they just create a flashable zip of their current system partition? We already have kernel and radio. That way people on LH1 can just update to LH9 without any issues? Make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. I would do it, but it would require going back to a completely stock LG1 first (with no frozen apps, for example) and then applying the OTA. Seems like people on LH1 could just Odin back to LG1 and then apply the OTA.

I spent the day porting the 15 toggle mod to LH9 and don't feel like taking this on, but I may consider doing it tomorrow.

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
I am getting the following error:

assert failed: getprop ("ro.product.device") =="
d2att" II getprop (ro.build.product") =="
E:Error in /eemmc/I747UGLH9_OTA.zip
(Status 7)
installation aborted

I went back using MrRobinsons rooted stock before flashing update

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
I am getting the following error:

assert failed: getprop ("ro.product.device") =="
d2att" II getprop (ro.build.product") =="
E:Error in /eemmc/I747UGLH9_OTA.zip
(Status 7)
installation aborted

I went back using MrRobinsons rooted stock before flashing update

This means the custom recovery you're using isn't reporting that the phone is an AT&T phone. You probably installed the Team Epic recovery from here: http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/cwm-recovery-on-all-sgs3-lte-variants.html.

I personally suggest doing one of the following:
  1. Use TWRP: This is my personal favorite and what I used when I applied the zip. You can install it using the instructions in that thread or you can flash the attached zip file using your current recovery.
  2. Install the latest CWM using Rom Manager.
  3. Use one of the 5.8.4.5 CWM versions from here. These are older versions but they provide access to the internal and external SD cards. Later 5.8 versions did not. I'm not sure about the latest 6.0 versions, though.

Attachments

• twrp-2.2.2.0.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: johnnyutah22

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
This means the custom recovery you're using isn't reporting that the phone is an AT&T phone. You probably installed the Team Epic recovery from here: http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/cwm-recovery-on-all-sgs3-lte-variants.html.

I personally suggest doing one of the following:
  1. Use TWRP: This is my personal favorite and what I used when I applied the zip. You can install it using the instructions in that thread or you can flash the attached zip file using your current recovery.
  2. Install the latest CWM using Rom Manager.
  3. Use one of the 5.8.4.5 CWM versions from here. These are older versions but they provide access to the internal and external SD cards. Later 5.8 versions did not. I'm not sure about the latest 6.0 versions, though.

You, my friend, are a genius. Thanks for the help. Downloaded 5.8.4.5 and it worked.

Reactions: drothenberger

bigdog533

Jan 10, 2011
I need to see the complete error message it gives you when it stops to know how to fix it.

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Chaton.apk","e83fea6dl089f17413ac50521e71b42292ae2ea0"
0cc2531bc0f3331e2d20b21f3bb139063501105a0
E:Error in /cache/fota/2400258.cfg
(status7)

this is the error i got

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've put together a zip file with the I747UCLH9 AT&T OTA update that can be flashed using CWM/TWRP. This file
    • preserves root
    • does not include the Google search update (so you can keep universal search if you want it)
    • does not wipe /data
    • does require removing all themes and modifications

Standard disclaimer: I am not responsible if this bricks your phone, destroys your IMEI or kills your kids.

Prerequisites: You have to be on stock I747UCALG1 for this to work. It may be rooted, but all the standard AT&T and Samsung bloatware must be there with no modifications. It's okay if some of the apps are frozen with Titanium Backup. You must not have any other mods or themes applied. The updater will check this stuff and abort if anything is wrong. I personally restored a nandroid backup I made right after rooting. If you didn't make one, you can use Odin and the instructions here to go back to stock.

To apply it:
    1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
    2. Go back to AT&T UCALG1 rooted stock if necessary (see above). If you're already on stock UCALG1 but have framework-res.apk modications applied, you can flash this zip to restore framework-res.apk to UCALG1 stock.
    3. Make sure CWM recovery from clockworkmod.com or TWRP is installed. The recovery from Team Epic will not work.
    4. Put one of the zip files from below on your internal or external SD card.
    5. Boot into recovery
    6. Flash the attached zip
    7. Wipe cache and dalvik cache (optional?)
    8. (Optional) Go to Backup and Restore, Advanced Restore and restore the /data from the nandroid backup you made in step 1. If you used a nadroid backup in step 2, this should restore your data and apps. If you used Odin to flash the rooted UCALG1 image, this step isn't necessary.
    9. Reboot
    10. Open Settings / Application Manager. Choose All tab. Click on AT&T Software update. Clear "Clear data". If you were getting OTA notifications before, this will prevent them from recurring. After doing this, your phone will know it's up-to-date.

This worked for me. I checked that my flash counter is still at 0 and Google search is still finding local stuff like apps. I still have root.

Here's an alternative way to apply the OTA that doesn't require having stock UCALG1 installed first:
    1. Download all the files in the PIECES section below.
    2. Go into recovery and flash them all before rebooting. Make sure you flash the kernel file after the ROM file.

DOWNLOADS:
    • I747UCALH9_OTA.zip: This is the full OTA, with kernel and bootloader. You must be using the stock UCALG1 kernel for this to work. MD5: dabaddcfadd250e8389fe387cd3a9ba2
    • I747UCALH9_OTA_no_kernel.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel. You can use this if you're already running a non-stock kernel. MD5: 7e304f087f7d3e2096c7e30f745df38c
    • I747UGLH9_OTA_no_kernel_bootloader_modem.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel, bootloader, or modem. It's just the ROM updates. MD5: 6602fd89a3b49db1ab9128c9d9725812

MODS:
    This process requires the stock framework-res.apk, so at this point you'll need to reapply any mods you already applied. Here are some mods that I've rebuilt against LH9. All are zip files you can apply through recovery.

PIECES:
    • Bootloader: This zip installs just the LH9 bootloader. MD5: 750ce5b2d0fd4476998a8b9e8194c26a
    • Modem: The modem can be found in this thread.
    • ROM: This zip installs a complete rooted copy of the LH9 ROM. Unlike the OTA zip above, it does not require that an unmodified LG1 ROM is already installed, but it is much larger (700 MB). You can flash this and all the other pieces in this section to flash an entire LH9 installation. MD5: 1df5aa24f2fe8fd65299a86f050da947
    • Kernel: This zip will install just the LH9 kernel and associated kernel modules. MD5: 62475e6701aac016732fb0d7d4b781db

TROUBLESHOOTING:
    If the zip file aborts with an error, it's most likely because one of the files it wants to patch has been modified from stock LG1. The OTA is not a complete ROM but is a set of binary patches to the LG1 files, so the files it wants to patch must be unchanged from LG1.

The zip file checks that the files are unmodified before proceeding and prints out the first modified file it finds if something is wrong. If something does wrong, read the error message because it will tell you want the problem is. If you want to post to this thread, include the full error message in your post. This normally includes the string "assert".

CREDITS:
    • Tether mod: electron73
    • Cell Standby fix: bala_gamer and Anderilux
    • No Increasing Ring mod: yoelsd and criskelo
    • Enable Call Recording mod: wanam
    • Remove Wifi Notification mod: vlara
    • 15 Toggles mod: wanam, Celmerine for the flashlight fix, and electron73 for the ICS themed lidroid-res.apk file.
    • Extended Power Menu mod: magn2o and sphinx02
    Apologies for what will be the most newbish post of your day..

My phone updated already, so I'm already on CALH9 and am totally stock. I'd like to root my phone so that ClockSync will work. I don't need any other mods at all. I pretty much like the phone as is except that it cannot keep time. Is this the mod for me? Can I apply the kernel or do I need to go back, then forward again?

Rooting LH9 is apparently a little tricky. This method should work:
    1. Download Odin from here.
    2. Download the attached twrp-2.2.2.0.tar to your computer.
    3. Download the attached remove-OTA-recovery.zip to your phone (internal or external SD card).
    4. Download SuperSU CWM zip file from here to your phone.
    5. Boot into Download mode by turning off the device, then holding Vol. Down and the Home key while pressing Power.
    6. Start Odin. Connect your phone to the computer. You should see a green square come up in the ID:COM section of Odin.
    7. Press the PDA button and select twrp-2.2.2.0.tar.
    8. Uncheck the Auto Reboot option in Odin.
    9. Press Start.
    10. Wait for RESET! to appear in the top left of Odin, then disconnect your phone and pull the battery.
    11. Boot into Recovery by holding Vol. Up and the Home key while pressing Power. Release as soon as you see the Samsung logo flash with little blue text in the top-left.
    12. Flash the SuperSU zip and remove-OTA-recovery.zip. Make sure zip file signature verification is off when flashing remove-OTA-recovery.zip.
    13. Reboot into the system.

The LH9 OTA installs two files that restore stock recovery every time you boot. The remove-OTA-recovery.zip file removes those files. (See this post for more details.)

This process will trip the flash counter, so install Triangle Away once you have root to remove it.

Hope this helps. Please report back if you try it.
    good start.. but still need a version that can be applied on top of lh1
    thanks

Why? Just restore your nandroid from LG1 (you have one, right?) or ODIN back to LG1, then apply the OTA. The OTA is a patch against LG1, so it can't be applied on top of LH1. If you refuse to go back to LG1, you'll need to wait for AT&T to release the full LH9 ROM as an Odin file.

Great work! Before I give it a try, I wanted to ask if the mods are also rebuilt against LH9. It doesn't seem so from the description, so I wanted to make sure before I decide to give it a go. Thanks.

Yes, they are. The OP had a typo that I've since corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Can I use the OP steps if I updated the OTA but it said it failed?

Probably not, because the OTA is a patch for LG1 and is not complete. You're best bet is to go back to LG1 and then apply the zip.

So my question is if your using a custom rom there's really no need to update this right? I mean if I flash back to stock and then update and reflash a custom rom its kinda defeats the purpose I'm assuming.

In addition to the ROM, the OTA also updates the modem, kernel, and bootloader. The modem is already available in the modem thread. I will eventually make a zip with the kernel and can also make one with just the bootloader if anyone's interested.

To answer your question, if you go back to LG1, flash the OTA, then reflash your custom ROM, you will have changed the modem, kernel, and bootloader but not the ROM.
    The only other thing I would like is call record if at all possible.

I added a mod that enables call recording and removes increasing ring to the MODS section of the OP. If anyone wants one with just call recording, please let me know.
    i just got my S3 it came with LH9 but i flashed a rooted LG1. I am just wondering what is even the advantage of going through this process to update it back to LH9?

The brightness bar and some bug fixes. For example, with LG1, music goes to my bluetooth even when I have something plugged into the headphone jack, but with LH9 it doesn't.