[GUIDE] CWM-flashable AT&T UCALH9 OTA

Search This thread

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
I've put together a zip file with the I747UCLH9 AT&T OTA update that can be flashed using CWM/TWRP. This file
  • preserves root
  • does not include the Google search update (so you can keep universal search if you want it)
  • does not wipe /data
  • does require removing all themes and modifications

Standard disclaimer: I am not responsible if this bricks your phone, destroys your IMEI or kills your kids.

Prerequisites: You have to be on stock I747UCALG1 for this to work. It may be rooted, but all the standard AT&T and Samsung bloatware must be there with no modifications. It's okay if some of the apps are frozen with Titanium Backup. You must not have any other mods or themes applied. The updater will check this stuff and abort if anything is wrong. I personally restored a nandroid backup I made right after rooting. If you didn't make one, you can use Odin and the instructions here to go back to stock.

To apply it:
  1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
  2. Go back to AT&T UCALG1 rooted stock if necessary (see above). If you're already on stock UCALG1 but have framework-res.apk modications applied, you can flash this zip to restore framework-res.apk to UCALG1 stock.
  3. Make sure CWM recovery from clockworkmod.com or TWRP is installed. The recovery from Team Epic will not work.
  4. Put one of the zip files from below on your internal or external SD card.
  5. Boot into recovery
  6. Flash the attached zip
  7. Wipe cache and dalvik cache (optional?)
  8. (Optional) Go to Backup and Restore, Advanced Restore and restore the /data from the nandroid backup you made in step 1. If you used a nadroid backup in step 2, this should restore your data and apps. If you used Odin to flash the rooted UCALG1 image, this step isn't necessary.
  9. Reboot
  10. Open Settings / Application Manager. Choose All tab. Click on AT&T Software update. Clear "Clear data". If you were getting OTA notifications before, this will prevent them from recurring. After doing this, your phone will know it's up-to-date.

This worked for me. I checked that my flash counter is still at 0 and Google search is still finding local stuff like apps. I still have root.

Here's an alternative way to apply the OTA that doesn't require having stock UCALG1 installed first:
  1. Download all the files in the PIECES section below.
  2. Go into recovery and flash them all before rebooting. Make sure you flash the kernel file after the ROM file.

DOWNLOADS:
  • I747UCALH9_OTA.zip: This is the full OTA, with kernel and bootloader. You must be using the stock UCALG1 kernel for this to work. MD5: dabaddcfadd250e8389fe387cd3a9ba2
  • I747UCALH9_OTA_no_kernel.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel. You can use this if you're already running a non-stock kernel. MD5: 7e304f087f7d3e2096c7e30f745df38c
  • I747UGLH9_OTA_no_kernel_bootloader_modem.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel, bootloader, or modem. It's just the ROM updates. MD5: 6602fd89a3b49db1ab9128c9d9725812

MODS:
This process requires the stock framework-res.apk, so at this point you'll need to reapply any mods you already applied. Here are some mods that I've rebuilt against LH9. All are zip files you can apply through recovery.

PIECES:
  • Bootloader: This zip installs just the LH9 bootloader. MD5: 750ce5b2d0fd4476998a8b9e8194c26a
  • Modem: The modem can be found in this thread.
  • ROM: This zip installs a complete rooted copy of the LH9 ROM. Unlike the OTA zip above, it does not require that an unmodified LG1 ROM is already installed, but it is much larger (700 MB). You can flash this and all the other pieces in this section to flash an entire LH9 installation. MD5: 1df5aa24f2fe8fd65299a86f050da947
  • Kernel: This zip will install just the LH9 kernel and associated kernel modules. MD5: 62475e6701aac016732fb0d7d4b781db

TROUBLESHOOTING:
If the zip file aborts with an error, it's most likely because one of the files it wants to patch has been modified from stock LG1. The OTA is not a complete ROM but is a set of binary patches to the LG1 files, so the files it wants to patch must be unchanged from LG1.

The zip file checks that the files are unmodified before proceeding and prints out the first modified file it finds if something is wrong. If something does wrong, read the error message because it will tell you want the problem is. If you want to post to this thread, include the full error message in your post. This normally includes the string "assert".

CREDITS:
  • Tether mod: electron73
  • Cell Standby fix: bala_gamer and Anderilux
  • No Increasing Ring mod: yoelsd and criskelo
  • Enable Call Recording mod: wanam
  • Remove Wifi Notification mod: vlara
  • 15 Toggles mod: wanam, Celmerine for the flashlight fix, and electron73 for the ICS themed lidroid-res.apk file.
  • Extended Power Menu mod: magn2o and sphinx02

Last edited:

bracketologist

Jul 4, 2010
Great work! Before I give it a try, I wanted to ask if the mods are also rebuilt against LH9. It doesn't seem so from the description, so I wanted to make sure before I decide to give it a go. Thanks.

accrews2001

Aug 6, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Can I use the OP steps if I updated the OTA but it said it failed?

This is what my phone info says now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 [AT&T GS3 Stock Rom] using xda-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348161916698.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348161916698.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 3,767

lunercrab

Sep 13, 2009
So my question is if your using a custom rom there's really no need to update this right? I mean if I flash back to stock and then update and reflash a custom rom its kinda defeats the purpose I'm assuming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

accrews2001

Aug 6, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I wanted to add to my prior post that Even tho it says that it told me it failed on install I seem to have all the new features, except the stock browser won't load pages (chrome works though)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 [AT&T GS3 Stock Rom] using xda-developers app

Last edited:

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
good start.. but still need a version that can be applied on top of lh1
thanks

Why? Just restore your nandroid from LG1 (you have one, right?) or ODIN back to LG1, then apply the OTA. The OTA is a patch against LG1, so it can't be applied on top of LH1. If you refuse to go back to LG1, you'll need to wait for AT&T to release the full LH9 ROM as an Odin file.

Great work! Before I give it a try, I wanted to ask if the mods are also rebuilt against LH9. It doesn't seem so from the description, so I wanted to make sure before I decide to give it a go. Thanks.

Yes, they are. The OP had a typo that I've since corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Probably not, because the OTA is a patch for LG1 and is not complete. You're best bet is to go back to LG1 and then apply the zip.

So my question is if your using a custom rom there's really no need to update this right? I mean if I flash back to stock and then update and reflash a custom rom its kinda defeats the purpose I'm assuming.

In addition to the ROM, the OTA also updates the modem, kernel, and bootloader. The modem is already available in the modem thread. I will eventually make a zip with the kernel and can also make one with just the bootloader if anyone's interested.

To answer your question, if you go back to LG1, flash the OTA, then reflash your custom ROM, you will have changed the modem, kernel, and bootloader but not the ROM.

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
no i dont have a lg1 backup as i never installed lg1 to my phone just went direct from the originally release firmware or whater to lh1

Last edited:

accrews2001

Aug 6, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrews2001
"Can I use the OP steps if I updated the OTA but it said it failed? "

Probably not, because the OTA is a patch for LG1 and is not complete. You're best bet is to go back to LG1 and then apply the zip.

I thought your OP steps included going back to LG1?

If you didn't make one, you can use Odin and the instructions here to go back to stock.

To apply it:
1.Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
2.Go back to AT&T UCALG1 rooted stock if necessary (see above). If you're already on stock UCALG1 but have framework-res.apk modications applied, you can flash this zip to restore framework-res.apk to UCALG1 stock.

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
Worked fine for me. Only additional step is that I had to restore root using the Voodoo OTA app. So I would recommend that anybody who wants to install this update install Voodoo OTA restore first and backup their root access before they flash this.

Edit: BTW I used TWRP 2.2.2 recovery which did not work before when I tried to use the downloaded OTA.

Last edited:

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
Worked fine for me. Only additional step is that I had to restore root using the Voodoo OTA app. So I would recommend that anybody who wants to install this update install Voodoo OTA restore first and backup their root access before they flash this.

That should not be necessary, although it won't hurt. I did not do anything special to preserve root and did not lose it.

I modified the original OTA upgrade script so it keeps the correct permissions on the /system/xbin/su binary, which should be all that's necessary.

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
That should not be necessary, although it won't hurt. I did not do anything special to preserve root and did not lose it.

I modified the original OTA upgrade script so it keeps the correct permissions on the /system/xbin/su binary, which should be all that's necessary.

It's quite possible that I had temporarily disabled root while I before I flashed this update, so it may not be necessary to back up root. Might not be a bad idea, though.

Reactions: werked

chenew

Dec 6, 2011
Houston
Failed Update

I had rooted my phone using mskip's QCom Toolkit. I used the ALLINONE rooting option, which should be stock with root.

Tried to run the OTA update and failed as expected, but when I tried using the CWM flash method as the OP described, it fails with error "assert failed: apply_patch_check". Not sure if mskip's rooting method makes any modifications to stock. I tired using Voodoo OTA to temporarily disable root, but still same issue.

Current baseband is I747UCLG1

Any pointers? Thanks

tazz0710

Nov 14, 2007
What if i have added Google Wallet will i lose that.

I have stock I747UCALG1 Phone Rooted with tether added and Google Wallet. if i use above process will i be fine? I dont want to loose Google Wallet.

I know i have frozen some bloat apps but not sure if i removed any i may have will that mess it up?

Last edited:

J M L

Sep 24, 2010
In addition to the ROM, the OTA also updates the modem, kernel, and bootloader. The modem is already available in the modem thread. I will eventually make a zip with the kernel and can also make one with just the bootloader if anyone's interested.

I made a kernel zip for myself, so here it is. I successfully used it to return to the stock kernel after installing the ktoonsez kernel. Perhaps somebody else can make a better kernel zip. I just did
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=boot.img, dropped that into ktoonsez's installer, swapped in the stock modules, removed his custom app and init.d stuff, and re-zipped it. It works.

The reason was to avoid having to do a full nandroid restore if ktoonsez's kernel didn't work for some reason. I have no reason to think it won't work, I just always make backups.

Attachments

• LH9-kernel.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: chowming

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
Tried to run the OTA update and failed as expected, but when I tried using the CWM flash method as the OP described, it fails with error "assert failed: apply_patch_check".

Any pointers? Thanks

I need to see the full error message, specifically which file the apply_patch_check is failing for.

What if i have added Google Wallet will i lose that.

I have stock I747UCALG1 Phone Rooted with tether added and Google Wallet. if i use above process will i be fine? I dont want to loose Google Wallet.

I know i have frozen some bloat apps but not sure if i removed any i may have will that mess it up?

I don't know much about how Google Wallet is installed, but I suspect you will lose it. I think I read in the other OTA thread that Google Wallet was not applying for people on LH9.

Also, you won't be to apply my zip if you have the tether modification installed. All modifications have to be removed -- you must be on stock LG1. You can apply the tether mod in the OP after you updated to LH9 if you want. I'm not sure about Google Wallet, though.

chenew

Dec 6, 2011
Houston
battro same

I need to see the full error message, specifically which file the apply_patch_check is failing for.

The error I get is right after "Verifying current system"

assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC: /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 : 5712128 : fb95a5d43d651be3972f96e8d6d2eb181a9fc66b : 5703936 : c1662e87c5d06b735cb46b9673876727f65cb48b","fb95a5d43d651be3972f96e8d6d2eb181a9fc66b")
E:Error in /sdcard/I747UGLH9_OTA.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've put together a zip file with the I747UCLH9 AT&T OTA update that can be flashed using CWM/TWRP. This file
    • preserves root
    • does not include the Google search update (so you can keep universal search if you want it)
    • does not wipe /data
    • does require removing all themes and modifications

Standard disclaimer: I am not responsible if this bricks your phone, destroys your IMEI or kills your kids.

Prerequisites: You have to be on stock I747UCALG1 for this to work. It may be rooted, but all the standard AT&T and Samsung bloatware must be there with no modifications. It's okay if some of the apps are frozen with Titanium Backup. You must not have any other mods or themes applied. The updater will check this stuff and abort if anything is wrong. I personally restored a nandroid backup I made right after rooting. If you didn't make one, you can use Odin and the instructions here to go back to stock.

To apply it:
    1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
    2. Go back to AT&T UCALG1 rooted stock if necessary (see above). If you're already on stock UCALG1 but have framework-res.apk modications applied, you can flash this zip to restore framework-res.apk to UCALG1 stock.
    3. Make sure CWM recovery from clockworkmod.com or TWRP is installed. The recovery from Team Epic will not work.
    4. Put one of the zip files from below on your internal or external SD card.
    5. Boot into recovery
    6. Flash the attached zip
    7. Wipe cache and dalvik cache (optional?)
    8. (Optional) Go to Backup and Restore, Advanced Restore and restore the /data from the nandroid backup you made in step 1. If you used a nadroid backup in step 2, this should restore your data and apps. If you used Odin to flash the rooted UCALG1 image, this step isn't necessary.
    9. Reboot
    10. Open Settings / Application Manager. Choose All tab. Click on AT&T Software update. Clear "Clear data". If you were getting OTA notifications before, this will prevent them from recurring. After doing this, your phone will know it's up-to-date.

This worked for me. I checked that my flash counter is still at 0 and Google search is still finding local stuff like apps. I still have root.

Here's an alternative way to apply the OTA that doesn't require having stock UCALG1 installed first:
    1. Download all the files in the PIECES section below.
    2. Go into recovery and flash them all before rebooting. Make sure you flash the kernel file after the ROM file.

DOWNLOADS:
    • I747UCALH9_OTA.zip: This is the full OTA, with kernel and bootloader. You must be using the stock UCALG1 kernel for this to work. MD5: dabaddcfadd250e8389fe387cd3a9ba2
    • I747UCALH9_OTA_no_kernel.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel. You can use this if you're already running a non-stock kernel. MD5: 7e304f087f7d3e2096c7e30f745df38c
    • I747UGLH9_OTA_no_kernel_bootloader_modem.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel, bootloader, or modem. It's just the ROM updates. MD5: 6602fd89a3b49db1ab9128c9d9725812

MODS:
    This process requires the stock framework-res.apk, so at this point you'll need to reapply any mods you already applied. Here are some mods that I've rebuilt against LH9. All are zip files you can apply through recovery.

PIECES:
    • Bootloader: This zip installs just the LH9 bootloader. MD5: 750ce5b2d0fd4476998a8b9e8194c26a
    • Modem: The modem can be found in this thread.
    • ROM: This zip installs a complete rooted copy of the LH9 ROM. Unlike the OTA zip above, it does not require that an unmodified LG1 ROM is already installed, but it is much larger (700 MB). You can flash this and all the other pieces in this section to flash an entire LH9 installation. MD5: 1df5aa24f2fe8fd65299a86f050da947
    • Kernel: This zip will install just the LH9 kernel and associated kernel modules. MD5: 62475e6701aac016732fb0d7d4b781db

TROUBLESHOOTING:
    If the zip file aborts with an error, it's most likely because one of the files it wants to patch has been modified from stock LG1. The OTA is not a complete ROM but is a set of binary patches to the LG1 files, so the files it wants to patch must be unchanged from LG1.

The zip file checks that the files are unmodified before proceeding and prints out the first modified file it finds if something is wrong. If something does wrong, read the error message because it will tell you want the problem is. If you want to post to this thread, include the full error message in your post. This normally includes the string "assert".

CREDITS:
    • Tether mod: electron73
    • Cell Standby fix: bala_gamer and Anderilux
    • No Increasing Ring mod: yoelsd and criskelo
    • Enable Call Recording mod: wanam
    • Remove Wifi Notification mod: vlara
    • 15 Toggles mod: wanam, Celmerine for the flashlight fix, and electron73 for the ICS themed lidroid-res.apk file.
    • Extended Power Menu mod: magn2o and sphinx02
    Apologies for what will be the most newbish post of your day..

My phone updated already, so I'm already on CALH9 and am totally stock. I'd like to root my phone so that ClockSync will work. I don't need any other mods at all. I pretty much like the phone as is except that it cannot keep time. Is this the mod for me? Can I apply the kernel or do I need to go back, then forward again?

Rooting LH9 is apparently a little tricky. This method should work:
    1. Download Odin from here.
    2. Download the attached twrp-2.2.2.0.tar to your computer.
    3. Download the attached remove-OTA-recovery.zip to your phone (internal or external SD card).
    4. Download SuperSU CWM zip file from here to your phone.
    5. Boot into Download mode by turning off the device, then holding Vol. Down and the Home key while pressing Power.
    6. Start Odin. Connect your phone to the computer. You should see a green square come up in the ID:COM section of Odin.
    7. Press the PDA button and select twrp-2.2.2.0.tar.
    8. Uncheck the Auto Reboot option in Odin.
    9. Press Start.
    10. Wait for RESET! to appear in the top left of Odin, then disconnect your phone and pull the battery.
    11. Boot into Recovery by holding Vol. Up and the Home key while pressing Power. Release as soon as you see the Samsung logo flash with little blue text in the top-left.
    12. Flash the SuperSU zip and remove-OTA-recovery.zip. Make sure zip file signature verification is off when flashing remove-OTA-recovery.zip.
    13. Reboot into the system.

The LH9 OTA installs two files that restore stock recovery every time you boot. The remove-OTA-recovery.zip file removes those files. (See this post for more details.)

This process will trip the flash counter, so install Triangle Away once you have root to remove it.

Hope this helps. Please report back if you try it.
    good start.. but still need a version that can be applied on top of lh1
    thanks

Why? Just restore your nandroid from LG1 (you have one, right?) or ODIN back to LG1, then apply the OTA. The OTA is a patch against LG1, so it can't be applied on top of LH1. If you refuse to go back to LG1, you'll need to wait for AT&T to release the full LH9 ROM as an Odin file.

Yes, they are. The OP had a typo that I've since corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

To answer your question, if you go back to LG1, flash the OTA, then reflash your custom ROM, you will have changed the modem, kernel, and bootloader but not the ROM.
    The only other thing I would like is call record if at all possible.

I added a mod that enables call recording and removes increasing ring to the MODS section of the OP. If anyone wants one with just call recording, please let me know.
    i just got my S3 it came with LH9 but i flashed a rooted LG1. I am just wondering what is even the advantage of going through this process to update it back to LH9?

The brightness bar and some bug fixes. For example, with LG1, music goes to my bluetooth even when I have something plugged into the headphone jack, but with LH9 it doesn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2