[GUIDE]Disable fast dormancy to save batter&list of confirmed carrier supporting.

Search This thread

gavin-phelan

Jun 1, 2011
Kilkenny
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
Recently I disabled fast dormancy using one of the dialer codes on my old galaxy s3 and my battery life increased greatly. I turned it back on an hour ago and battery life was poor comparitively ,although I couldnt use the same dialer code *#9900# I then I remembered an app that @ghokanmoral made the app if im not mistaking that those the work for you.

so heres the link to my box account where the app is.
https://www.box.com/s/264jrsxjg2ytdev1820l

you must be rooted to allow root access. this is a straight forward app that needs no explanation

hit the Thanks button it would be grwatly appreciated

see post #2 for info on fast dormancy & list of models and coutry/carriers working with this mod

gavin

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

gavin-phelan

Jun 1, 2011
Kilkenny
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
:thumbup:What is Fast Dormancy?

Fast Dormancy is a relatively recent technology that is aimed at saving battery life on your phone as well as reducing congestion on mobile networks. Essentially when your phone stops submitting data, it waits for a message from the mobile network telling it to close the connection. On some phones you might notice this is when the H or H+ symbol becomes a 3 or 3G symbol. Essentially its a fast way of making the mobile data connection become dormant, thus saving battery. Many recent devices, including the Samsung Galaxy SIII support Fast Dormancy and in general that is a good thing.*

Why on earth would I want to disable it then?

Even though Fast Dormancy sounds like a brilliant idea (and it is) some mobile networks choose not to implement it citing reasons such as cost and network congestion (I call bs on this one though). Unfortunately if Fast Dormancy is not supported by your network and it is enabled on your phone it can cause problems.

Confirmed phone models and carriers working:

Vodafone ireland-GT-I9505 LTE:thumbup::thumbup:
T-Mobile Croatia-GT-I9505:thumbup::thumbup:
Tušmobil solvenia GT-I9505:thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:

thelestat

Nov 2, 2008
its a carrier thing and a phone thing. Both carrier and phone need to support it for it to work.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium

gavin-phelan

Jun 1, 2011
Kilkenny
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
Just to chime in: T-Mobile Croatia (from what I've heard) does NOT support it. Will check it out in more detail and report back.

EDIT: this app is also available on Google Play. Can you confirm it works? How much battery gain did you notice?

strange I couldnt find it? ill add yours to the list thanks

iznee

Oct 1, 2007
How can I know if my Carrier supports it?

You can check if your operator supports "fd" by disabling FD first and then using command *#0011#. If field "rrc state" shows state PCH and not idle then you can keep FD disabled.
Cheers

P/S: i copied this from another forum.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Just to chime in: T-Mobile Croatia (from what I've heard) does NOT support it. Will check it out in more detail and report back.

EDIT: this app is also available on Google Play. Can you confirm it works? How much battery gain did you notice?

The app for disabling far dormancy in play store works well on GT-i9500. About battery life i dont really know how much is the gain but it definately made my data connection much more stable and usable

miro666

Jul 1, 2007
Osijek

You are right my neghbor, i was try this on 9300 (S3) some month ago, and dont help this apk.
Probably dont help on 9505 too. It is depending from netvork status and technology.

Best regards

myname70

Sep 23, 2006
Sofia
just to add that the app Fastdormancy toggle is available at play store as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

robogo1982

You can check if your operator supports "fd" by disabling FD first and then using command *#0011#. If field "rrc state" shows state PCH and not idle then you can keep FD disabled.
My phone, with FD enabled, says RRC: IDLE, Band1.
With FD disabled, it's the same, so I reckon it has no effect.

The app is called FastDormancy Toggle, made by Gokhan Moral, available for free on the Play Store.

TheWizardbc

Aug 13, 2010
glasvezel.zapto.org
My phone, with FD enabled, says RRC: IDLE, Band1.
With FD disabled, it's the same, so I reckon it has no effect.

The app is called FastDormancy Toggle, made by Gokhan Moral, available for free on the Play Store.

Did you restart the phone after changing fd?

Fd off: DCH (H+) --> (3G) FACH, after ca 1 minute changing to IDLE
Fd on: DCH --> IDLE

Does FD work on my network?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently I disabled fast dormancy using one of the dialer codes on my old galaxy s3 and my battery life increased greatly. I turned it back on an hour ago and battery life was poor comparitively ,although I couldnt use the same dialer code *#9900# I then I remembered an app that @ghokanmoral made the app if im not mistaking that those the work for you.

so heres the link to my box account where the app is.
    https://www.box.com/s/264jrsxjg2ytdev1820l

you must be rooted to allow root access. this is a straight forward app that needs no explanation

hit the Thanks button it would be grwatly appreciated

see post #2 for info on fast dormancy & list of models and coutry/carriers working with this mod

gavin

I don't know if this is ok but before i disabled FD when i entered *#0011# RRC was showing DCH and then immediatelly IDLE now it goes DCH->FACH(for about 10-15s)->IDLE. Is that how it should be with FD disabled?

Yes, but you do NOT save energy now.

You maybe don't have any FD-wakelocks anymore (which maybe saves some cpu time) but now your phone idles for 15 seconds in the FACH state after _each_ data transfer.

For this you must know, that FACH consumes around 50x the energy of the IDLE state and DCH consumes around 100x of the energy of the IDLE state. So cause of that you want to reach the energy saving IDLE or PCH state as soon as possible.

IF your network cell is configured fast dormant it will send your phone fast (maybe <5~10 secs) back from DCH to IDLE/PCH. In this situation you can switch off the "phone-initiated" Fast Dormancy of your I9505 without consuming more energy.

IF your network cell is not configured fast dormant it will let your phone hanging around 15-30 secs in FACH state. And in this situation it is better to keep the "phone-initiated" Fast Dormancy enabled cause your phone switches then direct from DCH to IDLE in 5 seconds.

And yes, Fast Dormancy CREATES Fast Dormancy Wakelocks (CPU time) but at the same time "not hanging 20 seconds in FACH after each data transfer" saves you more energy in the MODEM than you have to pay for the CPU time.

People that having much background traffic often seem to think Fast Dormancy is bad because they see FD-wakelocks and having poor battery life. But the cause for the poor battery life is the huge amount of background traffic that uses energy for the modem and keeping the phone awake.
    However, disabling fast dormancy will just disable the FD-wakelocks itself, but you didnt get much more deep sleep time, cause the l2_hsic-wakelock will take over a huge amount of CPU time from the FD wakelock in case you still have a huge amount of background traffic.

Just get the point: If your apps create background traffic, your phone _must_ be awake to send/receive data. And if its not the FD-wakelock thats keeps your phone awake, it is the l2_hsic-wakelock that keeps the phone awake while transferring data.

If anyone wants to know my advise: Fast Dormancy is 2013 a mature energy saving feature and the samsung devs aren't stupid. So just keep the settings the phone is configured.
    When disabling FD you eleminate the FD-wakelocks but in most cases you didn't save energy.

If you really want to save energy, configure your apps wise that they don't create much background traffic.

BR
    Rob
    :thumbup:What is Fast Dormancy?

Fast Dormancy is a relatively recent technology that is aimed at saving battery life on your phone as well as reducing congestion on mobile networks. Essentially when your phone stops submitting data, it waits for a message from the mobile network telling it to close the connection. On some phones you might notice this is when the H or H+ symbol becomes a 3 or 3G symbol. Essentially its a fast way of making the mobile data connection become dormant, thus saving battery. Many recent devices, including the Samsung Galaxy SIII support Fast Dormancy and in general that is a good thing.*

Why on earth would I want to disable it then?

Even though Fast Dormancy sounds like a brilliant idea (and it is) some mobile networks choose not to implement it citing reasons such as cost and network congestion (I call bs on this one though). Unfortunately if Fast Dormancy is not supported by your network and it is enabled on your phone it can cause problems.

Confirmed phone models and carriers working:

Vodafone ireland-GT-I9505 LTE:thumbup::thumbup:
    T-Mobile Croatia-GT-I9505:thumbup::thumbup:
    Tušmobil solvenia GT-I9505:thumbup::thumbup:
    Cheers

Eh, which is why you shouldn't just copy from the interwebs without doing a bit of research, this is actually incorrect / backwards. Nothing worse than misinformation... well actually I take that back, spreading misinformation is worse, see below:

1) IDLE state = no fast dormancy. This is the original old school 3g switching method that went DCH - FACH - IDLE. Problem is, FACH isn't very battery friendly, and switching out of IDLE was not optimal.

2) PCH state = fast dormancy, currently in Release 8. Now, it'll go DCH - FACH - PCH. Your device won't stay in FACH long (good), and will enter a low battery readiness state PCH that can quickly ramp back up to DCH (also good).

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    How can I know if my Carrier supports it?

Cheers

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

The app for disabling far dormancy in play store works well on GT-i9500. About battery life i dont really know how much is the gain but it definately made my data connection much more stable and usable