[GUIDE] Disable Knox and the OTA without root (KitKat Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gadsden

Sep 18, 2009
First of all, thanks for the post and sharing this. I am able to run the script, but every time it runs, it just instantly closes the command line window. I even tried opening the packaged adb and it starts up then just closes on me. I am unable to run the script to verify the debloat because it runs and flashed something for only a split second before closing. Any idea what's going on here?

joegray

Jun 1, 2015
I did a scan thru this thread and couldn't find anything about using terminal emulator to also disable Knox, I recently discovered that if ur device is rooted and u have a terminal emulator installed u can simple sure into the root and type "pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid" and there u go, Knox is officially disabled....

JOSHSKORN

Oct 14, 2013
I did a scan thru this thread and couldn't find anything about using terminal emulator to also disable Knox, I recently discovered that if ur device is rooted and u have a terminal emulator installed u can simple sure into the root and type "pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid" and there u go, Knox is officially disabled....

Look up "Debloater" on this forum. No root needed.

tCizler

Sep 1, 2011
If you have adb installed I don't see why not. You can just read the bat file for the command. Do something like this from a command prompt or terminal window...

Code:
adb shell "pm block com.samsung.sdm"

Thank you thank you thank you. I've been trying to get the .bat file to run for an hour now. No luck. It sees my phone but when i try to run the 'block' command, it just says it can't find the specified path. I used the command you provided in an ADB command line and it went "true". And after checking the settings, the "system update" feature is gone.

Not sure what the problem is but, my main concern is taken care of now.

G

GuestK00143

Thank you thank you thank you. I've been trying to get the .bat file to run for an hour now. No luck. It sees my phone but when i try to run the 'block' command, it just says it can't find the specified path. I used the command you provided in an ADB command line and it went "true". And after checking the settings, the "system update" feature is gone.

Make sure you are running the bat file from the directory it came from. Also if you are on lollipop I believe block has been replaced with hide.

tCizler

Sep 1, 2011
Make sure you are running the bat file from the directory it came from. Also if you are on lollipop I believe block has been replaced with hide.

I reverted back to KK from LP. I tried the .bat file in several locations, none of them worked. I'm glad you posted the main command line i wanted. I was using Windows 8.1 and i've had weird problems like this before since i got Win 8.1, so i'm guessing that might have something to do with it. I never had issues on my Win 7 computer.

hobby31

Feb 14, 2010
Rolled back to KK yesterday, used this guide with no issues to stop ota. Thanks for this!

vsitterding

Sep 12, 2007
International Version SM-910C

HELP!!! I have purposely purchased the SM-910C so that I wouldn't have the ATT or VZ bloatware on my phone and hopefully not be forced to be updated to Lollipop. unfortunately, as soon as I connected my phone to wifi it immediately started downloading it. Can I use this bypass on an international version or the VZ phone only?

I have a script below to stop and block Knox, the OTA and Dt Ignite (spyware). My script only works for KitKat. Use this for lollipop. First off I take no credit for the files other than modding the script to work for the apps I wanted disabled. This can be edited to your own liking to disable any app on the phone without root. Credit goes to Rootjunky for the original files from the Droid Turbo and to @scarygood536 for rewriting and simplifying the script I modded. This is a nice community effort.:good:

Instructions
1: Download and install your Samsung drivers if you have not already. Scroll down to the manuals & download section.
2: Download the VZW_Note4_Block_Bloat.zip that is attached below.
3: Unzip the VZW_Note4_Block_Bloat zip file to a convenient location such as your desktop.
4: Enable developer options on your phone and enable USB debugging.
5: Connect the phone to your PC.
6: Run the Block and Unblock Bloat.bat file, allow USB debugging on your phone and follow the instructions.​

That should do it. There should no longer be System updates in your settings menu. You can add more apps by adding the package name from the packages.txt file below to the Block and Unblock Bloat.bat file with notepad. Just follow the same format as in the script. This method is 100% safe and will not trip Knox, the system status is still official because no software is being removed.

Here is a list of apps other users have disabled.
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.bridge"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.seandroid"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.knoxsetupwizardclient"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.samsung.klmsagent"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.samsung.sdm"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.app.container"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.containeragent"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.eventsmanager"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.store"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.setupwizardstub"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.samsung.knox.rcp.components"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.slacker.radio"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.vzw.hss.widgets.infozone"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.amazon.mp3"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.verizon.familybase.companion"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.vznavigator.Generic"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.asurion.android.verizon.vms"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.gotv.nflgamecenter.us.lite"
tools\adb shell "pm block flipboard.app"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.liveweather"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.amazon.kindle"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.imdb.mobile"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.amazon.fv"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.apps.books"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.cequint.ecid"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.videos"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.videos"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.logiagroup.logiadeck"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.apps.magazines"
tools\adb shell "pm block flipboard.boxer.app"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.automotive.drivelink"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.billing"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.vcast.mediamanager"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.isis.mclient.verizon.activity"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.apps.mag"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.android.email"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.popupcalculator"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.setupwizard"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.play.games"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.hp.android.printservice"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.apps.magazines"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.widgetapp.galaxygifts"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.facebook.katana"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.apps.docs"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.dsi.ant.service.socket"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.dsi.ant.server"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.dsi.ant.plugins.antplus"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.widgetapp.ap.hero.accweather"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.android.exchange"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.samsung.android.service.travel"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.samsung.vvm"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.whatsapp"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.google.android.marvin.talkback"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.nuance.swype.input"
tools\adb shell "pm block tv.peel.smartremote"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.audible.application"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.cequint.ecid"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.voicenote"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.amazon.venezia"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.vzw.hss.myverizon"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.vzw.hss.widgets.infozone"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.vcast.mediamanager"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.samsung.android.app.pinboard"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.music"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.myfiles"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.samsung.helphub"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.facebook.katana"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.instagram.android"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.facebook.system"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.facebook.orca"
tools\adb shell "pm block com.facebook.pages.app"

Download>>> View attachment 3325059

All available apps View attachment 3325275 thanks @gatesjunior for the instructions to get it. Use caution with this list. He has also made a program for Windows to block apps located here. It is compatible with lollipop nice work. :good:

yamaha_wins

May 8, 2012
Is it possible to disable whatever it's called when I plug my phone into my desktop and the Verizon crap pops up wanting me to install the Verizon desktop junk?

Verizon samsung galaxy note 4

treyjazz

Dec 29, 2010
As long as drivers are installed then just ignore the setup from the virtual CD drive that shows up when the phone is connected. I don't think you can disable it without breaking all connectivity — at least on the phone side. In the device manager (Windows key+Pause - Device Manager) there are quite a few devices that get installed for the phone. Disabling one might prevent it from nagging you but it would be a matter of trial and error.

markm3

Feb 1, 2007
oky i think i am missing something or i am doing something wrong , my devise is note 4 with kitkat and the new update of lolipop is already downloaded but not installed and i always have the sign in notification as soon as i turn my wifi on ,,,,,, i did download the VZW_Note4_Block_Bloat.zip and did the debug stuff and run the script and i choose the num 1 to block the apps but it keeps doing file error and then make some files wich end True and then it stops saying press any key to continue and i press then the the black page disapper , so i hope you can tell me whats wrong here ,thanks

Attachments

• Facebook-20150716-055554.jpg
    Facebook-20150716-055554.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

vmmatty

Jul 16, 2015
I know that the title of this thread says "KitKat Only" but I figure I'll be that guy and ask anyway. Is it possible to block OTA updates if you're already on Lollipop? The latest Verizon update breaks Smart Lock when you have an Exchange account so I'd love to find a way to block that update so it never gets forced down.

JOSHSKORN

Oct 14, 2013
I know that the title of this thread says "KitKat Only" but I figure I'll be that guy and ask anyway. Is it possible to block OTA updates if you're already on Lollipop? The latest Verizon update breaks Smart Lock when you have an Exchange account so I'd love to find a way to block that update so it never gets forced down.
Use Debloater and disable the same items as the script.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dobbelina

Sep 23, 2013

On my S5 SM-G900F with KitKat 4.4.2 there's no "com.samsung.sdm" package, only the "com.policydm" one.

The packages associated with the OTA program updates are:
com.wssyncmldm
com.sec.android.fotaclient
com.policydm

If you disable these and look at Settings=>About=>Systemupdates you'll see that it says your
system is up to date.
Got really upset when i was force fed the 1 GB Lollipop thingy!
I had carefully de-selected the 2 update otions under "About", before establishing any network
connection.
STILL, Samsung wants to be my daddy and decide for me !?...
I did a factory reset & clear cache and disabled above, now I'M IN CONTROL again.

Last edited:

toenail_flicker

Dec 18, 2011
Sprint compatible?

If anyone is with Sprint and has used the knox/OTA blocking method in the OP would you please confirm working or not? I need this, but just got my Note 4 and don't want to mess things up just yet.:D Rooting down the road, but Sammy's constant update nag is driving me to drink. It also locked me out of a few things I need.

I did a search, but nothing came up for Sprint.Thanks in advance!

JOSHSKORN

Oct 14, 2013
If anyone is with Sprint and has used the knox/OTA blocking method in the OP would you please confirm working or not? I need this, but just got my Note 4 and don't want to mess things up just yet.:D Rooting down the road, but Sammy's constant update nag is driving me to drink. It also locked me out of a few things I need.

I did a search, but nothing came up for Sprint.Thanks in advance!
I'm on Verizon, but which Android version are you on? For this to potentially work, you must be on 4.4.4, otherwise lookup "Debloater".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Using ES file explorer, locate the apk file of the app you want to disable, check the properties for the package name and insert the package name into the script.

View attachment 3063050View attachment 3063050

Here, let me make this a little easier for you all and a lot faster as well. Run this from your PC.

adb shell pm list packages -f >> packages.txt

That will create a packages.txt file where your at and with not only the package name apk but the actual android package name next to it for you to reference. Open it with your favorite text editor and your off and running :)

So, I would think a good idea for you would be to update the OP for something like this:

Remove VZW Bloatware script
    Remove Samsung Bloatware script

Just a thought for you.. You could even have it prompt them for each package for a yes or no..
    I assume you are modifying it with notepad but can you give me a nice walk thru so I dont mess anything up? thank you

Using ES file explorer, locate the apk file of the app you want to disable, check the properties for the package name and insert the package name into the script.

uploadfromtaptalk1418521880646.jpguploadfromtaptalk1418521880646.jpg

FYI, don't disable touchwiz launcher if you plan to use ultra power saving mode. i did this on my Tab S when i got it, and it went into power saving mode and it was just a blank screen bc it uses a modified TW launcher. problem is, bc of this, i coudln't turn power saving mode off. there was no notification in the dropdown, and you can't turn it off in settings. i rebooted, still in power saving mode. so i had to completely wipe my tablet with the stock Odin file because it was just stuck and wouldn't work correctly.

needless to say i didn't freeze TW launcher on the Note 4, and it works fine. so yeah, be careful.
    OK guys here is my script I made for myself. Wanted to share if anyone else wishes to use it. I took a lot of bloat out including most all verizon apps, Samsung junk that isn't necessary and BLOAT! The full list is in the folder under the read me file. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sy2a7olmil6sk9w/AACjlzaysX2JUTURgLU8gZ4Oa?dl=0
    i want to use this bur i am a novice and have no idea what developer options are or where to find them...

Go to "About phone" in the settings menu and then hit "Build number" about 7 or 8 times and it will unlock the Developer Options. Once you're done you'll see it shown just above "About phone".