[GUIDE] Disable KNOX, OTA Updates, and other apps without root!

Search This thread

tyiphius

Sep 8, 2011
I was browsing the Verizon forum and came across a thread about disabling KNOX and OTA. I can't leave the base here for a few hours, so i figured I'd make a friendly tutorial. I have edited the script with some extra packages for KNOX that was listed in the comment. I will also explain how to edit the script to disable packages that you want. I not a programmer or anything. Since everyone uses a different combination of apps I will just explain how to disable the ones you don't want. Of course you will ADB set up for your phone, and USB debugging enabled on your phone. Disabling the package will remove the icon from your phone. It is not uninstalled, just disabled.

How to disable KNOX and the OTA:

1. Simply Download This file
2. Run script as administrator
Disabled Packages

com.sec.knox.bridge
com.sec.knox.seandroid
com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
com.sec.knox.knoxsetupwizardclient
com.samsung.klmsagent
com.samsung.sdm
com.logiagroup.logiadeck
com.policydm
com.sec.knox.app.container
com.sec.knox.containeragent
com.sec.knox.eventsmanager
com.sec.knox.store
com.sec.knox.setupwizardstub
com.samsung.knox.rcp.components

How to add your own packages to the script to be disabled

1. Go to your ADB (Your ADB maybe in a different location). Hold the CTRL button and right click anywhere in the folder. The submenu will appear, select Open command window here
29awoax.jpg

2. Command Prompt window will appear. Type " adb shell pm list packages -f>> packages.txt. A txt file will be created in your adb folder with all the packages your phone has.
6gyelc.jpg

3. Right click on the script you downloaded earlier, on the submenu select edit, a notepad window will appear.
vooigl.jpg

4. Under the list of packages to be disabled, start a new line, type adb shell "pm block. Then go into the packages.txt and select the package you want to disable. Copy and past that package after block and add a double quotation mark at the end of the line.
(NOTE: Before the package name is the apk that the package is for. For this example com.yellowpages.android.ypmobile is for YPMobile_ATT.apk). Repeat for all packages you wish to disable.
1hs30n.jpg

5. Save the Script
10i6sg9.jpg

6. Run the new script as administrator, The package you put in the script will say "true", which means its disabled.
2llm4k9.jpg

pr0cl1v1ty

Jan 27, 2008
College Station, TX
I was browsing the Verizon forum and came across a thread about disabling KNOX and OTA. I can't leave the base here for a few hours, so i figured I'd make a friendly tutorial. I have edited the script with some extra packages for KNOX that was listed in the comment. I will also explain how to edit the script to disable packages that you want. I not a programmer or anything. Since everyone uses a different combination of apps I will just explain how to disable the ones you don't want. Of course you will ADB set up for your phone, and USB debugging enabled on your phone. Disabling the package will remove the icon from your phone. It is not uninstalled, just disabled.

1. Go to your ADB (Your ADB maybe in a different location). Hold the CTRL button and right click anywhere in the folder. The submenu will appear, select Open command window here
29awoax.jpg

2. Command Prompt window will appear. Type " adb shell pm list packages -f>> packages.txt. A txt file will be created in your adb folder with all the packages your phone has.
6gyelc.jpg

3. Right click on the script you downloaded earlier, on the submenu select edit, a notepad window will appear.
vooigl.jpg

4. Under the list of packages to be disabled, start a new line, type adb shell "pm block. Then go into the packages.txt and select the package you want to disable. Copy and past that package after block and add a double quotation mark at the end of the line.
(NOTE: Before the package name is the apk that the package is for. For this example com.yellowpages.android.ypmobile is for YPMobile_ATT.apk). Repeat for all packages you wish to disable.
1hs30n.jpg

5. Save the Script
10i6sg9.jpg

6. Run the new script as administrator, The package you put in the script will say "true", which means its disabled.
2llm4k9.jpg

Thank you so much for bringing this over.

What would be even better, would be a list of the commands with each detailed about what it is disabling... this would be amazing

Last edited:

insang-droid

Sep 24, 2013
Moving this over from other thread to keep it all in one place

This is what worked for me.

Source - THANKS! Misterxtc
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note...-root-t2972263
Thanks mlin for showing me this thread.

Download the ADB Fastboot from here
And give THANKS! to Snoop05
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979

Download Samsung Android USB drivers here
http://developer.samsung.com/technic...o?v=T000000117

Tool I used to identify the package - FX file browser
Folders I looked in to locate the packages/apps
\system\app
\system\priv-app
In these folders I looked at the the files and saw that they were ENABLED. After block command they were no longer ENABLED. I also saw active applications disappear from the Application manager.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMANGE YOUR PHONE. THIS WORKED FOR ME AND IS CURRENTLY WORKING, BUT DOES NOT GURANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE'S SETUP.
ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

My PC is windows 7 pro.

1. PC: download and install Samsung Android USB Drivers
2. NOTE4 : go to developer settings and turn on usb debugging
3. PC/NOTE4: connect phone to PC and unlock (screen lock). Set to MTP for USB connection settings
4. download and install 15sec ADB/FASTBOOT
5. Open command prompt as administrator
6. type "ADB devices" enter
7. you should see response "List of devices attached" and next line with ID and device
8. If you see the device listed then copy and past the commands from the excel spread sheet. You can do this individually for confirmation or you can copy the whole column and let it do it's thing.

Every item on the spreadsheet I did on my phone and confirmed that it's off. I've been using it for couple of days and had no errors or force close of any apps.

XLS spreasheet updated 12/22

Last edited:

insang-droid

Sep 24, 2013
I blocked this package as well. The icon is same as the ATT software updater.
Can't attach photo. So the package I disabled is "com.ws.dm"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

silentecho13

May 5, 2011
Can you Disable the Gear VR service and shell without any issues? It's frequently on the top of my Android System battery usage, which leads me to believe it's running down my battery a bit. I won't ever own a Gear anyway.

NYYFan02

Oct 31, 2012
Philadelphia
This is awesome; I can tell a lot of the stuff was disabled just b/c they stopped greenifying when I run auto-hibernate, like the android email and exchange services. Anyone know what the quick connect path is? I've been looking and can't find it, it seems to always be running on me in the background (even though I have it off).

KaiserDB

Jul 18, 2014
For the life of me I can't get adb to work for this thing.
I've got the newest drivers, USB debugging on. My computer doesn't prompt me to allow anything when I connect though.
Anybody wanna help this dumdum?

lucidvtec

Jul 28, 2010
Big thx

Got rid of a bunch of crap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using XDA Free mobile app

xlr8shun

May 20, 2007
Orlando, FL
my running list of things I have disabled. I will update it as I disable more things

EDIT: UPDATED LIST OF REMOVED BLOAT: (updated 12-30-14)

com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.yahoo.att
com.cequint.ecid
com.samsung.android.scloud.quota
com.att.android.digitallocker
com.fmm.dm
com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.yahoo.att
flipboard.boxer.app
com.samsung.android.keyguardwallpaperupdator
com.samsung.advp.imssettings
com.samsung.android.scloud.sync
com.sec.android.allshare.service.fileshare
com.sec.penup
com.sec.android.widgetapp.digitalclockeasy
com.sec.android.stub.paywithpaypal
com.instagram.android
com.sec.android.nearby.mediaserver
com.siso.app.generic
com.sec.android.service.cm
com.sec.embeddedserverservice
com.facebook.katana
com.sec.android.widgetapp.ap.hero.accuweather
com.sec.app.samsungprintservice
com.sec.android.easysidepanel
com.google.android.backuptransport
com.matchboxmobile.wisp
com.sec.imsservice
com.samsung.android.service.travel
com.hancom.office.editor
com.sec.android.app.FileShareClient
com.sec.android.app.mobileprint
com.google.android.apps.docs
com.wavemarket.waplauncher
com.sec.android.app.SamsungContentsAgent
com.samsung.safetyinformation
com.android.phasebeam
com.mobitv.client.tv
com.sec.android.widgetapp.locationwidget
com.drivemode
com.samsung.android.scloud.proxy.sbrowser
com.facebook.system
com.ubercab
com.sec.android.app.FileShareServer
com.sec.android.app.sysscope
com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.liveweather
com.evernote
com.mobeam.barcodeService
com.epson.mobilephone.samsungprintservice
com.sec.android.widgetapp.SPlannerAppWidget
com.samsung.android.fingerprint.service
com.sec.android.daemonapp
com.samsung.android.scloud.proxy.contacts
com.sec.android.app.mt
com.samsung.android.sdk.samsunglink
com.att.android.attsmartwifi
com.google.android.apps.magazines
com.monotype.android.font.chococooky
com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts
com.fixmo.isa
com.samsung.android.scloud.proxy.memo
com.synchronoss.dcs.att.r2g
com.yellowpages.android.ypmobile
com.sec.android.app.wfdbroker
com.fmm.ds
com.asurion.android.mobilerecovery.att
net.aetherpal.device
com.sec.android.widgetapp.easymodecontactswidget
com.sec.ims
com.google.android.marvin.talkback
com.siso.app.genericprintservice
com.sec.spp.push
com.sec.android.allshare.service.mediashare
com.telenav.app.android.cingular
com.hp.android.printservice
com.sec.pcw.device
com.samsung.helphub
com.sec.android.sviewcover
com.android.noisefield
com.sec.enterprise.knox.cloudmdm.smdms
com.lookout
com.wssnps
com.google.android.apps.books
com.policydm
com.sec.android.easyonehand
com.samsung.android.app.pinboard
com.sec.android.widgetapp.samsungapps
com.sec.knox.bridge
com.google.android.talk
com.amazon.mShop.android
com.ws.dm
com.wildtangent.android
com.sec.imslogger
com.samsung.android.scloud.proxy.calendar
com.sec.android.widgetapp.digitalclock
com.facebook.appmanager
com.samsung.android.scloud.auth
com.callpod.android_apps.keeper
com.android.printspooler
com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar
com.google.android.gm
com.sec.android.widgetapp.dualclockdigital
com.blurb.checkout
com.android.chrome
com.sec.android.Kies
com.sec.knox.seandroid
com.sec.esdk.elm

Last edited:
Reactions: borgx76

insang-droid

Sep 24, 2013
I'll look at it when I get to a computer. But I can uninstall Evernote on mine. Says its a user installed.. I habd nk3 update as well, but I had Evernote before nk3 update.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Did you check app drawer to see if Evernote is gone? Because the package for Evernote is "com.evernote" when I look at the detail of the APK.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

What's imsservice BTW?

Reactions: xlr8shun

xlr8shun

May 20, 2007
Orlando, FL
I'll look at it when I get to a computer. But I can uninstall Evernote on mine. Says its a user installed.. I habd nk3 update as well, but I had Evernote before nk3 update.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Did you check app drawer to see if Evernote is gone? Because the package for Evernote is "com.evernote" when I look at the detail of the APK.

yes, normally its an installed app, but the nk3 update forced evernote on us and was not able to be disabled. I already use a note program that syncs with my gf's phone and our other devices and computers. so I didn't really want another. plus I was a bit deterred by the permissions needed by evernote.

in anycase, I did check my app drawer, it is gone :)

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

What's imsservice BTW?
I am not quite sure, however, this was another thing that was forced on us in the nk3 update. looking at the permissions, it seems like its some kind of knox/carrier iq/logging and reporting app.

I can update my post (later) if I do or do not experience issues with disabling the IMS stuff. but so far, so good..

EDIT: I tried looking before without much luck, but I did find this post, with some info (speculation?) on IMS http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-tmobile/general/ims-logger-t2908176

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Disabled Packages

com.sec.knox.bridge
    com.sec.knox.seandroid
    com.samsung.klmsagent
    com.samsung.sdm
    com.logiagroup.logiadeck
    com.policydm
    com.sec.knox.app.container
    com.sec.knox.containeragent
    com.sec.knox.eventsmanager
    com.sec.knox.store
    com.sec.knox.setupwizardstub

29awoax.jpg

6gyelc.jpg

vooigl.jpg

1hs30n.jpg

5. Save the Script
    10i6sg9.jpg

2llm4k9.jpg

0ri's Note 4 Utility

Hello,

Releasing what I feel is an improvement on the bloatware removers + DPI changer. (Thanks where thanks is due is built into appropriate subsections of batch.)

menu_zps89cfdb9a.png

The above screenshot is of the main menu. At this point, the batch has identified that your device is indeed detected. Pressing the corresponding menu buttons (followed by enter) will execute the appropriate action.

In-Depth Menu Explanation
    1] This is a compilation of the most desirable bloatware removal including KNOX and OTA stuff. When entering this mode you will be asked about your launcher and your battery save mode - this is to determine if you need the TouchWiz launcher unblocked or not.
    2] Same as above, but for unblocking.
    3] This exports all packages installed on your device so you can pick and choose your own. Choose your own filename and it stores in the same directory.
    4] Utilizing the above exported file, you can pick and choose packages to block.
    5] You can reverse what you did in #4.
    6] DPI changing. Allows tablet applications or smaller phone applications to fit better on your device.
    7] Hard-coded default DPI for simplicity of reverting.

After every change you make, your device will reboot in order to save the changes - the exception is option #3 for obvious reasons. For options #4 & #5, the reboot happens after you exit the mode.
    As seen below, the batch will create a persistent log of all the changes you make - this allows you to keep track of those changes, and even better; revert them later.
    changelog_zps92399159.png

SOURCE
    @echo off
    color 70
    title 0ri's Note 4 Utility
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    cls
    goto init

:init
    echo ^>^> 0ri's Note 4 Utility
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Please plug in your device.
    echo.
    echo If the application hangs here, ensure you have ADB and your device's drivers installed.
    echo Also, ensure that USB Debugging is enabled on your device.
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo Device found!
    ping localhost -n 4 > nul
    goto menu

:reboot
    cls
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Your device is now rebooting. Please leave the device plugged in.
    adb reboot
    ping localhost -n 6 > nul
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    cls
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Waiting for your PC to detect your device...
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo Device found!
    goto menu

:menu
    cls
    echo ^>^>^> Main Menu
    echo.
    echo.
    echo 1^] AUTO DE-BLOAT ^(RECOMMENDED^)
    echo 2^] AUTO RE-BLOAT ^(RECOMMENDED^)
    echo 3^] CREATE LIST OF INSTALLED PACKAGES ^(ADVANCED^)
    echo 4^] CUSTOM DE-BLOAT ^(ADVANCED^)
    echo 5^] CUSTOM RE-BLOAT ^(ADVANCED^)
    echo 6^] CUSTOM DPI ^(ADVANCED^)
    echo 7^] RESTORE DPI ^(ADVANCED^)
    echo 8^] EXIT
    echo.
    set /P select=Make a Selection:
    if %select%==1 (
    goto sel1
    ) ELSE (
    if %select%==2 (
    goto sel2
    ) ELSE (
    if %select%==3 (
    goto sel3
    ) ELSE (
    if %select%==4 (
    goto sel4
    ) ELSE (
    if %select%==5 (
    goto sel5
    ) ELSE (
    if %select%==6 (
    goto sel6
    ) ELSE (
    if %select%==7 (
    goto sel7
    ) ELSE (
    if %select%==8 (
    exit
    ) ELSE (
    echo You have made an invalid selection.
    goto menu
    ))))))))

:sel1
    cls
    echo ^>^>^> AUTO DE-BLOAT
    echo.
    echo.
    echo If the application hangs here, your device is no longer detected.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Special thanks to XDA member 'tyiphius' for original tutorial and KNOX^/OTA package names.
    echo Special thanks to XDA member 'squareatom' for detailed list of stock packages.
    echo.
    echo.
    set /P debloat=Are you using the default launcher or 'Ultra Power Saving Mode'? ^[Y^/N^]:
    color 7C
    if %debloat%==N (
    echo TouchWizHome (^1^)
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.launcher"
    ) ELSE (
    if %debloat%==n (
    echo TouchWizHome ^(1^)
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.launcher"
    ))
    echo.
    echo KNOX ^(12^)
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.bridge"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.seandroid"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.knoxsetupwizardclient"
    adb shell "pm block com.samsung.klmsagent"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.app.container"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.containeragent"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.eventsmanager"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.store"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.knoxsetupwizardclient"
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.knox.setupwizardstub"
    adb shell "pm block com.samsung.knox.rcp.components"
    echo.
    echo SAMSUNG OTA ^(3^)
    adb shell "pm block com.samsung.sdm"
    adb shell "pm block com.ws.dm"
    adb shell "pm block com.policydm"
    echo.
    echo SAMSUNG Remote Install ^(1^)
    adb shell "pm block com.logiagroup.logiadeck"
    echo.
    echo SAMSUNG Remote Support ^(2^)
    adb shell "pm block net.aetherpal.device"
    adb shell "pm block com.fmm.dm"
    echo.
    echo SAMSUNG Billing ^(1^)
    adb shell "pm block com.sec.android.app.billing"
    echo.
    echo.
    echo ^(%date% - %time%^) ^[BLOCK^] AUTO DE-BLOAT >> NOTE4_CHANGELOG.log
    color 70
    if %debloat%==N (
    echo Completed! Blocked Items: 20
    ) ELSE (
    if %debloat%==n (
    echo Completed! Blocked Items: 20
    ) ELSE (
    echo Completed! Blocked Items: 19
    ))
    echo.
    echo Your device will now reboot.
    goto reboot

:sel2
    cls
    echo ^>^>^> AUTO RE-BLOAT
    echo.
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Special thanks to XDA member 'tyiphius' for original tutorial and KNOX^/OTA package names.
    echo Special thanks to XDA member 'squareatom' for detailed list of stock packages.
    echo.
    echo.
    set /P rebloat=Do you want to use the default launcher or 'Ultra Power Saving Mode'? ^(Y FOR DEFAULT^) ^[Y^/N^]:
    color 7C
    if %rebloat%==Y (
    echo TouchWizHome ^(1^)
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.android.app.launcher"
    ) ELSE (
    if %rebloat%==y (
    echo TouchWizHome^(1^)
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.android.app.launcher"
    ))
    echo.
    echo KNOX ^(12^)
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.bridge"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.seandroid"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.knoxsetupwizardclient"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.samsung.klmsagent"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.app.container"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.containeragent"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.eventsmanager"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.store"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.knoxsetupwizardclient"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.knox.setupwizardstub"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.samsung.knox.rcp.components"
    echo.
    echo SAMSUNG OTA ^(3^)
    adb shell "pm unblock com.samsung.sdm"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.ws.dm"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.policydm"
    echo.
    echo SAMSUNG Remote Install ^(1^)
    adb shell "pm unblock com.logiagroup.logiadeck"
    echo.
    echo SAMSUNG Remote Support ^(2^)
    adb shell "pm unblock net.aetherpal.device"
    adb shell "pm unblock com.fmm.dm"
    echo.
    echo SAMSUNG Billing ^(1^)
    adb shell "pm unblock com.sec.android.app.billing"
    echo.
    echo.
    echo ^(%date% - %time%^) ^[UN-BLOCK^] AUTO RE-BLOAT >> NOTE4_CHANGELOG.log
    color 70
    if %rebloat%==Y (
    echo Completed! Un-Blocked Items: 20
    ) ELSE (
    if %rebloat%==y (
    echo Completed! Un-Blocked Items: 20
    ) ELSE (
    echo Completed! Un-Blocked Items: 19
    ))
    echo.
    goto reboot

:sel3
    cls
    echo ^>^>^> CREATE LIST OF INSTALLED PACKAGES
    echo.
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Special thanks to XDA senior member 'gatesjunior' for packages export command.
    echo.
    echo.
    set /p packages=Type a filename to save-as:
    color 7C
    echo.
    adb shell pm list packages -f >> "%packages%".txt
    echo ^(%date% - %time%^) ^[PACKAGES^] Exported Packages to %CD%\%packages%.txt >> NOTE4_CHANGELOG.log
    color 70
    echo File Saved! %CD%\%packages%.txt
    goto menu

:sel4
    cls
    echo ^>^>^> CUSTOM DE-BLOAT
    echo.
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    echo Type 'exit' to return to the menu.
    echo.
    set /p packname=Package Name ^(ex. com.sec.android.app.music^):
    echo.
    if %packname%==exit (
    goto reboot
    ) ELSE (
    if "%packname%"=="'exit'" (
    goto reboot
    ) ELSE (
    color 7C
    adb shell "pm block %packname%"
    echo ^(%date% - %time%^) ^[MANUAL BLOCK^] %packname% >> NOTE4_CHANGELOG.log
    color 70
    echo.
    echo Completed!
    goto sel4
    ))

:sel5
    cls
    echo ^>^>^> CUSTOM RE-BLOAT
    echo.
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    echo Type 'exit' to return to the menu.
    echo.
    set /p packnamere=Package Name ^(ex. com.sec.android.app.music^):
    echo.
    if %packnamere%==exit (
    goto reboot
    ) ELSE (
    if "%packnamere%"=="'exit'" (
    goto reboot
    ) ELSE (
    color 7C
    adb shell "pm block %packnamere%"
    echo ^(%date% - %time%^) ^[MANUAL UN-BLOCK^] %packnamere% >> NOTE4_CHANGELOG.log
    color 70
    echo.
    echo Completed!
    goto sel4
    ))

:sel6
    cls
    echo ^>^>^> CUSTOM DPI
    echo.
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    echo Special thanks to XDA member 'PizzaSauce' for DPI command.
    echo.
    set /p dpi=Custom DPI:
    echo.
    color 7C
    adb shell wm density %dpi%
    echo ^(%date% - %time%^) ^[DPI CHANGE^] Set to %dpi% >> NOTE4_CHANGELOG.log
    color 70
    echo.
    echo Completed! DPI set to %dpi%!
    echo.
    goto reboot

:sel7
    cls
    echo ^>^>^> RESTORE DPI
    echo.
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    echo Special thanks to XDA member 'PizzaSauce' for DPI command.
    echo.
    color 7C
    adb shell wm density 640
    echo ^(%date% - %time%^) ^[DPI CHANGE^] Restored to default ^(640^) >> NOTE4_CHANGELOG.log
    color 70
    echo.
    echo Completed! DPI reset to 640.
    echo.
    goto reboot

Edit
    This still requires you have ADB and your USB drivers installed.
    Finally,i found the slideshow presentation i recently read that was posted online by the NSA, they're the ones implementing SELINUX to work with this KNOX bull****, plus all the other cute names of whatever other misc. technology, SAFE, TIMA.... i'm sure everyone saw the long list of garbage in the About section underneath where it shows the KNOX version.

The whole KNOX thing isn't where the issue is on the locked bootloader on NOTE 4. Since Knox was intended to be used in Enterprise corporate environments where a centralized server can be put in place to manage users devices, tripping that knox bit doesn't necessarily automatically void your warranty. About rooting Samsung KNOX-enabled devices and the KNOX warranty void bit. This is also discussed here, Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares. Reading these 2 blogs was interesting and good info to know because I had a different idea of what this knox business was really all about.

Somewhere I stumbled upon a link to some NSA stuff to find out that the NOTE 4 was their chosen platform that they have thoroughly tested against every security standard in their books and all the new security changes they've implemented have held up to pass with flying colors. So one thing off the top I remembered clearly was that it is no longer possible to write to the /system partition within in domain or by any anything other than in recovery. Since previously the SELINUX was set to PERMISSIVE mode, there was wiggle room to work with whereas now it's set to ENFORCING by a mandatory device policy which simply denies all attempts and requests made to get access to the /system partition.

I was able to use adb to push busybox as well as the su binary files to /data/local/tmp directory where the shell has read\write privileges which let me use chmod 777 busybox, and the same thing for su. Then you can use them by first typing in ./busybox and whatever function\command you want busybox to perform. I spent last night and all of today just trying every single command and combo and variation of using busybox with just the su binary, I even installed supersu.apk and superuser.apk and kingroot.apk, tested a few dozen different mod strings variations using towelroot, I even decompiled a simple apk application to declare permission for request_superuser because using the "pm grant com.testapp.something android.permission.REQUEST_SUPERUSER", according the command usage instructions is supposed to grant the app whatever permission it's requesting that isn't by default granted by the system originally. So if an app is requesting some specific permission that was denied, "theoretically" that command should grant the privilege to the app so it would be able to run normally, but it just denies installing the app on the device no matter what I've tried.

Then I reread this statement from the NSA site on this exact phone
    Security Evaluation Summary

The evaluation was carried out in accordance with the Common Criteria Evaluation and Validation Scheme (CCEVS) process and scheme. The criteria against which the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Note Edge, Galaxy Alpha & Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE & 10.5 LTE with KNOX 2 was judged are described in the Common Criteria for Information Technology Security Evaluation, Version 3.1 rev 4. The evaluation methodology used by the evaluation team to conduct the evaluation is the Common Methodology for Information Technology Security Evaluation, Version 3.1 rev 4. Gossamer Security Solutions determined that the evaluation assurance level (EAL) for the product is EAL 1. The product, when delivered and configured as identified in the Samsung Android 4.4 on Galaxy Devices Guidance Documentation, version 1.14, October 31, 2014 document, satisfies all of the security functional requirements stated in the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Note Edge, Galaxy Alpha, Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE & 10.5 LTE, & Galaxy Tab Active with KNOX 2 (MDFPP11) Security Target, Version 1.1, October 31, 2014. The project underwent CCEVS Validator review. The evaluation was completed in October 2014. Results of the evaluation can be found in the Common Criteria Evaluation and Validation Scheme Validation Report (report number CCEVS-VR-VID10597-2014) prepared by CCEVS.
    Compliant Product - Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Note Edge, Galaxy Alpha, Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE & 10.5 LTE, & Galaxy Tab Active with KNOX 2

Then reading this was like getting punched in the stomach

Protecting the Android TCB with SELinux

And this

Security Enhancements (SE) for Android

So I doubt my futile efforts would be any match against whatever the NSA has signed off on. This task would require someone that has a far deeper understanding of manipulating the coding to try exploiting any known vulnerabilities like geohot or comex or djrbliss... I really doubt there will be root available for the at&t variant anytime soon, I'm on the verge of trading this phone for a galaxy S5 with someone just because the S5 is rootable and I never knew how much I relied on having root permissions, it's frustrating to not be able to do so many things with the phone that I never realized required root permissions
    Awesome post, most definitely helpful when getting root is not an option. So I explored a little more with that PM command in ADB shell mode and maybe this info can also be useful to other people so I'll attach a list of all the stock packages that come pre-bloated with the phone and some more useful commands that can be used as well without root access. This PM command has a nice list of things it can do, and there's also an AM command as well that can be access via adb shell to launch apps and jump directly into any specific classes that the app uses to execute specific tasks with more permissions than a regular user doing it on their own phone.
    Moving this over from other thread to keep it all in one place

This is what worked for me.

Source - THANKS! Misterxtc
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/note...-root-t2972263
    Thanks mlin for showing me this thread.

Download the ADB Fastboot from here
    And give THANKS! to Snoop05
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979

Download Samsung Android USB drivers here
    http://developer.samsung.com/technic...o?v=T000000117

Tool I used to identify the package - FX file browser
    Folders I looked in to locate the packages/apps
    \system\app
    \system\priv-app
    In these folders I looked at the the files and saw that they were ENABLED. After block command they were no longer ENABLED. I also saw active applications disappear from the Application manager.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMANGE YOUR PHONE. THIS WORKED FOR ME AND IS CURRENTLY WORKING, BUT DOES NOT GURANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE'S SETUP.
    ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

My PC is windows 7 pro.

1. PC: download and install Samsung Android USB Drivers
    2. NOTE4 : go to developer settings and turn on usb debugging
    3. PC/NOTE4: connect phone to PC and unlock (screen lock). Set to MTP for USB connection settings
    4. download and install 15sec ADB/FASTBOOT
    5. Open command prompt as administrator
    6. type "ADB devices" enter
    7. you should see response "List of devices attached" and next line with ID and device
    8. If you see the device listed then copy and past the commands from the excel spread sheet. You can do this individually for confirmation or you can copy the whole column and let it do it's thing.

Every item on the spreadsheet I did on my phone and confirmed that it's off. I've been using it for couple of days and had no errors or force close of any apps.

XLS spreasheet updated 12/22