[GUIDE] Disabling Stock/System Apps

Search This thread

Bumble-Bee

Senior Recognized Developer & Original Autobot
Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
Hi iv seen loads of people trying to remove stock apps. Due to the eMMC protection the DesireHD/DesireZ/G2 has we are unable to do this at this point. But what we can do is to stop them from running and showing in the app list.

I will use Amazon MP3 as an example :-

1) Find the process name of the APP yor want to disable. You can do this by looking in /system/app for the file name. Or i find this method a lil quicker

From Terminal App or ADB shell type

and find the process in the list i.e com.amazon.mp3

2) In Terminal App or ADB shell type "pm disable ProcessName" i.e.

pm disable com.amazon.mp3

3) Reboot phone or just the launcher

4) The app wont/cant run (the icon may stay tho.)

;)

All credit goes to others around the web :D :D

[UPDATED 27/10/2010] Icon may not be removed

Last edited:

liqn7

Mar 25, 2010
Could you stop Sense from running this way and just use Launcher Pro?

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
you must remember first to type 'su' to get super user permissions, you will know that you have su permissions when the $ turns to a #.

Hope this helps you all.

Credit to others and not me, I'm just regurgitating info that I have sought out.

sr-ha

Nov 2, 2008
Hi

Can i disable Sense and the whole sense applications?

I cant find sense in the list.

Is com.htc.launcher the sense launcher?

EDIT:

I have disabled com.htc.launcher but sense is still there.

Last edited:

JD82

Feb 1, 2009
www.anddev.it
For those who hate bloatware HTC like me, I created this list:
Code:
su
pm disable com.amazon.mp3/com.amazon.mp3.client.activity.LauncherActivity
pm disable com.amazon.mp3
pm disable com.htc.android.Stock
pm disable com.htc.android.htcsetupwizard
pm disable com.htc.friendstream
pm disable com.htc.ereader
pm disable com.htc.laputa
pm disable com.htc.laputa.HtcLaputaInstaller
pm disable com.htc.connectedMedia
pm disable com.htc.Weather
pm disable com.htc.googlereader
pm disable com.htc.htctwitter
pm disable com.htc.android.mail
pm disable com.futuredial
pm disable com.htc.wdm
pm disable com.htc.recommend

Warning! The list is for those who REALLY hate the Sense and HTC applications: it disables apps like Weather, Ebook reader, RSS Feed reader, Locations, etc.

I have not tested the phone thoroughly after disabling these applications, I hope not to have disabled something vital :p.

If you know any other application that can be disabled safely, let me know and I will add to the list.

Last edited:

AndyCr15

Apr 27, 2005
London, UK
www.lanarchy.co.uk
What we could really do with is a list of what each of these actually does.

Even better, can no-one make an app, like the SGS had, which you tap on the app name and it removes it (disables) rather than having to go into console?

kaosnews

May 25, 2007
Weert
www.frisser.nl
This is also the only way to get rid of the stock version Soundhound and Quickoffice? I have purchased these 2 apps and if I install these two I will get 2 icons for Soundhound and 2 for Quickoffice. I have tried Launcherpro - because you can disable apps.. but if I disable the standard Soundhound then It will also disable the commercial version. This is also for Quickoffice!

Anyone got some tips for this 'problem'?

erdinc

May 18, 2009
Gent
This is also the only way to get rid of the stock version Soundhound and Quickoffice? I have purchased these 2 apps and if I install these two I will get 2 icons for Soundhound and 2 for Quickoffice. I have tried Launcherpro - because you can disable apps.. but if I disable the standard Soundhound then It will also disable the commercial version. This is also for Quickoffice!

Anyone got some tips for this 'problem'?

Have the same question ! I'm trying to use VISIONary to get temp root but doesn't work ! I'm getting rooting device , please wait message for over 10 minutes now nothing else

TML1504

Nov 24, 2007
Vienna
the last version of titanium backup is able to totally remove system and/or preinstalled apps, like amazonmp3 etc. tried it and it worked for me, after two reboots the app is completely gone!

all of the above "hacks" didn't work for me (although i am temp rooted with visionary and used the "su" command), but titanium backup did the trick!

version: 3.5.7.3
click and hold on the app, choose "force remove app (by recovery exploit)"