[Guide] Dualboot (Acer Iconia W700) Windows 8 - Android

Search This thread

PLAY911

Jan 30, 2011
HI!....can someone please let me know how install de 4.4 versión android-x86-4.4-r2.img Android-x86 4.4-r2 EFI image with gummiboot?....your help will be very much appreciated
I am completely noob

Thank you in advanced!

Best

PLAY911

Jan 30, 2011
HI!....can someone please let me know how install de 4.4 versión android-x86-4.4-r2.img Android-x86 4.4-r2 EFI image with gummiboot?....your help will be very much appreciated
I am completely noob

Thank you in advanced!

Best
Please could somebody please help and upload the image to boot with gummibot and android 4.4 or even better 5?

Thank you from a noob

Regards

calahorn

Sep 11, 2011
I followed your guide word for word and got the android OS installed on my tablet. But your instructions to get Google play store installed doesn't work for me. First off, super user seems to be out of date and fails to update. Second of all es file explorer doesn't have an option under settings for root. I have the latest one installed. When I get to copy the framework apk to the system/app folder, super user asks if I want to let it do that and I select yes. After saying yes it fails to copy anyways.

Has anyone else encountered these errors?

calahorn

Sep 11, 2011
I followed your guide word for word and got the android OS installed on my tablet. But your instructions to get Google play store installed doesn't work for me. First off, super user seems to be out of date and fails to update. Second of all es file explorer doesn't have an option under settings for root. I have the latest one installed. When I get to copy the framework apk to the system/app folder, super user asks if I want to let it do that and I select yes. After saying yes it fails to copy anyways.

Has anyone else encountered these errors?
Never mind, got it working. The framework doesn't work with 4.4 ivy bridge rom. Stuck with the generic r3 and got everything working.

Sent from my ICONIA W700 using Tapatalk

pauliusval99

Dec 4, 2011
Vilnius
That's right, Microsoft locked everything down, just as installing legacy software (although it won't run that fast with nvida processor

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app
LOL... do you mean they "locked down" running X86 apps on ARM? I just want to emphasize it, X86apps on ARM processor?

cert_

Jul 10, 2008
Any news here? I updated my W701 with "ubuntu, win 8.1, android" with win 10 upgrade to "ubuntu, win 10, android" and after that it didn't boot. it took some time to get grub back to work. now it boots everthing fine again.

anyone tried android x86 6.0 on W700 / W701?

Last edited:

cert_

Jul 10, 2008
update: i had some space left on my partition so i installed latested android x86 6.0 RC1 on it. it works very good, bluetooth is working. youtube and chrome works. tested angry birds 2 and dead trigger 2 without any problems. play store is already preinstalled. there is an option to make arm apps running on x86 but i dont know which app is arm only so i didn't test it. make sure to format partition to ext4!

cert_

Jul 10, 2008
just a short info for the users who didn't try android because of the dirty installation process: the newest android x86 has an installer for easy installation. you can copy the ISO to USB with the tool "unetbootin". make some space behind your windows 8.1/ 10 partition with a partition manager. try to boot the android x86 ISO from an USB stick and install. the latest ISO can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/android-x86/files/Testing/. one problem: your w700 buttons can NOT be used to choose the OS at boot time so you need an USB keyboard. you have to compile grub with modifications on the source code (see my earlier posts) to get the buttons working.

Last edited:
Reactions: [email protected]

[email protected]

Mar 3, 2016
Thanks!

just a short info for the users who didn't try android because of the dirty installation process: the newest android x86 has an installer for easy installation. you can copy the ISO to USB with the tool "unetbootin". make some space behind your windows 8.1/ 10 partition with a partition manager. try to boot the android x86 ISO from an USB stick and install. the latest ISO can be found at [. one problem: your w700 buttons can NOT be used to choose the OS at boot time so you need an USB keyboard. you have to compile grub with modifications on the source code (see my earlier posts) to get the buttons working.

Hello, thank you for helping me out! im going to install android on my w700 this weekend.
Are there some things to keep in mind? And..could you tell me how to "compile grub with modifications on the source code" ?
Thank you!:good:

zike47222

Apr 12, 2014
Is this still a thing?? I cant get my w700 to boot from USB.. just shows windows boot loader.. Im actualy trying to install Remix OS which worked perfect on a different computer but on here the option doesnt show up in boot. If theres anyone still here please help.

Sent from my E5823 using XDA-Developers mobile app

zike47222

Apr 12, 2014
Same thing with me. I am trying on Acer Iconia W810. I double checked the Windows 8 installed using EFI method not Legacy in Disk Management and System Info. I tried all the way the option itself not there. I can see only Secure Boot and Boot priority order:

Can someone please advise what's missing here???

attachment.php
Did you resolve this problem? I have the same issue.

Sent from my E5823 using XDA-Developers mobile app

MFortuna

Mar 22, 2010
Update 2017

Hello! It's been a long time since nobody posts...

I've been trying to dual boot Android and Windows on my Acer Aspire P3-171 (i5-3339Y, 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD) (similar to Iconia)
Like 2 years ago I succesfully installed Android IA with this guide but when I updated to the last version it crushed and never could make it work again. :crying:

Now I've installed Android x86 with no trouble at all, well I can tell my experience: :)
-Android x86 Nougat (yet a RC): Everything working except for using the power button to lock the screen. After some time I couldn't boot anymore.
-Android x86 Marshmallow: Almost everything working! (YouTube and Netflix :good:) Cannot lock screen with power button (can use an app), the rotation sensor is working but values are too low to rotate the screen (using an app for manual rotating for the moment).
-Android x86 4.4: Everything working, but kinda old...

I will keep Marshmallow but might need some help: :confused:
-I'm using grub2win for bootloader because I don't have Ubuntu (or space for it). Tried to follow @cert_ tutorial with Ubuntu live USB but couldn't make it work (always something missing, m4, o bisson, even after installing them). Someone knows how to set up grub2win or how to do @cert_ tutorial from windows/android?
-Also tried with @inteks files but didn't know how to install them!
-How do I change the "driver" of the rotation sensor in Android?
-Can I map correctly the power key so Android locks?

Thanks you all in advance, and sorry if I didn't make myself clear, my english isn't the best!

CitiGaming

May 25, 2016
Toronto
If anyone still checks this thread, having a little issue during install.

I choose interactive installer > dualboot > resize windows > install Gummiboot and the install proceeds, but it hangs at Reserved Block group size: 63 with a blinking cursor a line below. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

cert_

Jul 10, 2008
Android X86 8.1-RC1

Android X86 8.1-RC1 working well on Acer W700 but boot time is much faster on OLDER Android versions. I'm dual booting Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04 and Android 8.1-RC1 now. You still have to modify menu.c to get the hard buttons to work in GRUB (see this post). You will get an error if you want to compile GRUB 2.02 (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.02.tar.gz) with Ubuntu 18.04:

error message: "statement with no effect [-Werror=unused-value] #define fprintf(...) 0"

change line 19 in file /grub-core/grub_script.yy.c from
#define fprintf(...) 0
to
#define fprintf(...) (void)0

and compilation works fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible for any damage happening to your device by doing this!

I believe Windows 8 is great for productivity, but that's not Always what we are looking for. We want to experiment with our devices and get as much out of them as possible. Android gives us the freedom to do with this tablet what we never thought possible, the overall performance is incredible and graphics are buttery smooth. However, I couldn't find a suitable guide, so I created one myself. So let's get started!

Bug list:

• Everything should be working fine, contact me if not

Requirements:

• USB Stick with at least 512 MB storage
    • USB Keyboard
    • USB-hub, because the tablet only has 1 USB port
    • Latest image available for Generic UEFI Installer from here
    • Image Writer Tool from here

Setting up a bootable USB
    1. Download Image Writer Tool, unpack it and run the ''Win32DiskImager.exe" file
    2. Once opened, navigate to your *.img file you downloaded earlier in the requirements and hit "Write" (This will format the USB drive)
    3. Let it run and once it's done your USB is good to go.
    Setting up tablet to boot from USB
    1. Enter BIOS settings by pressing the power (and hold it) and the Windows button
    2. Once there, make sure UEFI boot modus is set​

Booting from USB
    1. Make sure your tablet is turned off
    2. Plugin your USB-hub with USB Stick and Keyboard insered
    3. Power on your devices while pressing the ''F12'' button
    4. Now choose your USB device from the boot options
    5. You'll get a few options, choose the option that fits your expectations
    Note: I'd dualboot and install gummibootloader
    6. Choose your prefered option and wait, the installation will run automatically
    7. Once done, unplug everything and power off the device
    8. When you turn your tablet back on, you'll see (if you've chosen option a. or b.) a menu with the option to boot Windows or Android
    9. Navigate with volume DOWN key and select with volume UP key

This Method could also be used for the Samsung XE700T

Thanks to
    LuNaTum
    For creating a guide on how to change DPI
    For creating a guide on how to pair bluetooth devices to Android and Windows

Q&A
    Q:
    How do I install Google Play Store and other Gapps?
    A:
    1. Download a root explorer from Internet in .apk format, I recommend ES file explorer. (I think you are familiar with the way to install these)
    2. Go in ES file explorer, then click settings and enable root exploring and root access (allow any prompt)
    3. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk from here
    4. Copy with ES file explorer the downloaded .apk to /system/app/
    5. Now reboot the tablet into Android
    6. Download PlayStore_v4.1.10.apk from here
    7. Repeat step 4. and 5. with PlayStore_v4.1.10.apk
    8. Congratulations, you've installed the Google Play Store
    9. If you want to install other Gapps, download the .apk and repeat step 4. and 5.
    Note: If you don't see the app installed after reboot, try changing the .apk's permission to RW-R--R-- and reboot again

Q:
    I can't enter BIOS by holding ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button
    A:
    1. Press ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button at the same time
    2. Let go when the ''Acer''-bootlogo appears
    3. Congratulations, you've entered the BIOS

Q:
    I can't boot from USB, because the secure boot prohibits it
    A:
    1. Enter BIOS by pressing ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button at the same time
    2. Set up a supervisor password
    3. Congratulations, now you can disable secure boot

Q:
    The ''Gummibootloader doesn't appear when booting, but Windows boots normally
    A:
    1. Enter BIOS by pressing ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button at the same time
    2. Change bootorder so Android comes in first place and Windows second
    3. Congratulations, you've now got Gummibootloader at boot

Q:
    Android-ia1 installed perfectly, but later versions fail to install
    A:
    1. Go to Acers site
    2. Navigate to Home page > Support > Drivers and Manuals > Select [your..tablet] > BIOS
    3. Download the latest BIOS
    4. Update the devices BIOS
    5. Congratulations, you'll be able to install Android-ia2 and later

Q:
    What other devices will also be combatible with this method?
    A:
    Samsung XE700T

Q:
    How to get bluetooth mouse and keyboard working on Android and Windows at the same time?
    A:
    1. Pair your bluetooth devices first with android and the with Windows
    2. On Windows download PsExec
    3.Then from downloaded file copy PsExec.exe in Windows to directory C:\Windows\System32 or to directory where your System32 folder is.
    4. Write in the search cmd and run it as administrator
    5. Then use command: psexec -s -i regedit.exe
    6. Now go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Keys
    7. From \Keys you can find your paired bluetooth devices. First there is the devices bluetooh mac address and 32 numbers long linkkey. Now write those linkeys and mac addresses up or copy them.
    8. Now everything is set on Windows side. Next boot to android.
    9. On android you need again for example ES file Explorer and R/W rights
    10. With file Explorer fro root go to /data/misc/bluedroid/
    11. Open file called BT_config.xml
    12. From text find your devices using mac address
    13. When you find you devices mac addres scroll down and you should see line with linkkey and 32 number code.
    14. Now take that 32 number code you got from Windows
    15 You have to change it little so the linkey works and here how it's done:
    for example your Windows linkkey is "12345678qwertyuiasdfghjkpoiuytre" now set it as 8 number clusters like this
    "12345678 qwertyui asdfghjk poiuytre"
    Now you have to reverse those 8 number clusters
    Take the set on far right "poiuytre" and mark it like this "po iu yt re"
    Now reverse those pairs like this "re yt iu po"
    Now "reytiupo" this is the first line in the new linkkey
    Do the same for other three cluster. After it's done this example linkkey looks like this "reytiupojkghdfasuityerqw78563412"
    16. When you have your modified Windows linkkey ready you can just replace the old one from the file BT_config.xml
    17. Now just reboot android and your keyboard and mouse should work.

Q: How to change DPI from 213 to 160 (or something else)
    A:
    1. Get file manager on android like ES file Explorer
    2. R/W rights to whole system on android
    3. From root go to /system/etc/machine-props/
    4. Open acer-w700.prop with ES Explorer and edit line "ro.sf.lcd_density = 213" and change 213 to 160
    5. Reboot android and system should now be 160 DPI
    Pretty sure even if you didn't run into any architecture problems (and you will) trying this on RT, you'll probably be blocked by Secure Boot preventing the use of a non-Microsoft bootloader. We haven't managed to crack that yet. You can try it anyhow, and report back what you find, but don't expect it to work.
    will this working on Iconia W500?

No as that is a clovertrail device. Clovertrail is physically incapable of booting into anything other than windows 8, Intel locked it for this generation silicon only, bay trail has the restriction lifted.

Sorry I meant Surface RT

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Hmm, then you could try this image, but I can't promise anything ;) at least this one isn't especially for x86 system

surface RT is ARM. Android IA is android Intel architecture, ie, x86 with Intel extensions, ie Intel core i3 and above only. There is no such thing as an operating system which is not architecture locked, I would have looked into that before writing the tutorial if I were you....
    The latest build comes with the framework and play store built in.
    When I download the play store and install it. It will open for half a second them close. What am I doing wrong here?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Download the framework and the play store both and put them in system/app/ directory, change permissions and reboot into android, now it should be working!

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone