[Guide] Dualboot (Acer Iconia W700) Windows 8 - Android

Search This thread

Thatgrass

Jan 14, 2012
XDA-Developers
I am not responsible for any damage happening to your device by doing this!

I believe Windows 8 is great for productivity, but that's not Always what we are looking for. We want to experiment with our devices and get as much out of them as possible. Android gives us the freedom to do with this tablet what we never thought possible, the overall performance is incredible and graphics are buttery smooth. However, I couldn't find a suitable guide, so I created one myself. So let's get started!

Bug list:

• Everything should be working fine, contact me if not

Requirements:

• USB Stick with at least 512 MB storage
  • USB Keyboard
  • USB-hub, because the tablet only has 1 USB port
  • Latest image available for Generic UEFI Installer from here
  • Image Writer Tool from here

Setting up a bootable USB
1. Download Image Writer Tool, unpack it and run the ''Win32DiskImager.exe" file
2. Once opened, navigate to your *.img file you downloaded earlier in the requirements and hit "Write" (This will format the USB drive)
3. Let it run and once it's done your USB is good to go.
Setting up tablet to boot from USB
1. Enter BIOS settings by pressing the power (and hold it) and the Windows button
2. Once there, make sure UEFI boot modus is set​

Booting from USB
1. Make sure your tablet is turned off
2. Plugin your USB-hub with USB Stick and Keyboard insered
3. Power on your devices while pressing the ''F12'' button
4. Now choose your USB device from the boot options
5. You'll get a few options, choose the option that fits your expectations
Note: I'd dualboot and install gummibootloader
6. Choose your prefered option and wait, the installation will run automatically
7. Once done, unplug everything and power off the device
8. When you turn your tablet back on, you'll see (if you've chosen option a. or b.) a menu with the option to boot Windows or Android
9. Navigate with volume DOWN key and select with volume UP key

This Method could also be used for the Samsung XE700T

Thanks to
LuNaTum
For creating a guide on how to change DPI
For creating a guide on how to pair bluetooth devices to Android and Windows

Q&A
Q:
How do I install Google Play Store and other Gapps?
A:
1. Download a root explorer from Internet in .apk format, I recommend ES file explorer. (I think you are familiar with the way to install these)
2. Go in ES file explorer, then click settings and enable root exploring and root access (allow any prompt)
3. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk from here
4. Copy with ES file explorer the downloaded .apk to /system/app/
5. Now reboot the tablet into Android
6. Download PlayStore_v4.1.10.apk from here
7. Repeat step 4. and 5. with PlayStore_v4.1.10.apk
8. Congratulations, you've installed the Google Play Store
9. If you want to install other Gapps, download the .apk and repeat step 4. and 5.
Note: If you don't see the app installed after reboot, try changing the .apk's permission to RW-R--R-- and reboot again

Q:
I can't enter BIOS by holding ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button
A:
1. Press ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button at the same time
2. Let go when the ''Acer''-bootlogo appears
3. Congratulations, you've entered the BIOS

Q:
I can't boot from USB, because the secure boot prohibits it
A:
1. Enter BIOS by pressing ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button at the same time
2. Set up a supervisor password
3. Congratulations, now you can disable secure boot

Q:
The ''Gummibootloader doesn't appear when booting, but Windows boots normally
A:
1. Enter BIOS by pressing ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button at the same time
2. Change bootorder so Android comes in first place and Windows second
3. Congratulations, you've now got Gummibootloader at boot

Q:
Android-ia1 installed perfectly, but later versions fail to install
A:
1. Go to Acers site
2. Navigate to Home page > Support > Drivers and Manuals > Select [your..tablet] > BIOS
3. Download the latest BIOS
4. Update the devices BIOS
5. Congratulations, you'll be able to install Android-ia2 and later

Q:
What other devices will also be combatible with this method?
A:
Samsung XE700T

Q:
How to get bluetooth mouse and keyboard working on Android and Windows at the same time?
A:
1. Pair your bluetooth devices first with android and the with Windows
2. On Windows download PsExec
3.Then from downloaded file copy PsExec.exe in Windows to directory C:\Windows\System32 or to directory where your System32 folder is.
4. Write in the search cmd and run it as administrator
5. Then use command: psexec -s -i regedit.exe
6. Now go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Keys
7. From \Keys you can find your paired bluetooth devices. First there is the devices bluetooh mac address and 32 numbers long linkkey. Now write those linkeys and mac addresses up or copy them.
8. Now everything is set on Windows side. Next boot to android.
9. On android you need again for example ES file Explorer and R/W rights
10. With file Explorer fro root go to /data/misc/bluedroid/
11. Open file called BT_config.xml
12. From text find your devices using mac address
13. When you find you devices mac addres scroll down and you should see line with linkkey and 32 number code.
14. Now take that 32 number code you got from Windows
15 You have to change it little so the linkey works and here how it's done:
for example your Windows linkkey is "12345678qwertyuiasdfghjkpoiuytre" now set it as 8 number clusters like this
"12345678 qwertyui asdfghjk poiuytre"
Now you have to reverse those 8 number clusters
Take the set on far right "poiuytre" and mark it like this "po iu yt re"
Now reverse those pairs like this "re yt iu po"
Now "reytiupo" this is the first line in the new linkkey
Do the same for other three cluster. After it's done this example linkkey looks like this "reytiupojkghdfasuityerqw78563412"
16. When you have your modified Windows linkkey ready you can just replace the old one from the file BT_config.xml
17. Now just reboot android and your keyboard and mouse should work.

Q: How to change DPI from 213 to 160 (or something else)
A:
1. Get file manager on android like ES file Explorer
2. R/W rights to whole system on android
3. From root go to /system/etc/machine-props/
4. Open acer-w700.prop with ES Explorer and edit line "ro.sf.lcd_density = 213" and change 213 to 160
5. Reboot android and system should now be 160 DPI

Last edited:

Thatgrass

Jan 14, 2012
XDA-Developers
Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Pretty sure even if you didn't run into any architecture problems (and you will) trying this on RT, you'll probably be blocked by Secure Boot preventing the use of a non-Microsoft bootloader. We haven't managed to crack that yet. You can try it anyhow, and report back what you find, but don't expect it to work.

Reactions: Hnk1 and Thatgrass

Thatgrass

Jan 14, 2012
XDA-Developers
Pretty sure even if you didn't run into any architecture problems (and you will) trying this on RT, you'll probably be blocked by Secure Boot preventing the use of a non-Microsoft bootloader. We haven't managed to crack that yet. You can try it anyhow, and report back what you find, but don't expect it to work.

That's right, Microsoft locked everything down, just as installing legacy software (although it won't run that fast with nvida processor

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
will this working on Iconia W500?

No as that is a clovertrail device. Clovertrail is physically incapable of booting into anything other than windows 8, Intel locked it for this generation silicon only, bay trail has the restriction lifted.

Sorry I meant Surface RT

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Hmm, then you could try this image, but I can't promise anything ;) at least this one isn't especially for x86 system

surface RT is ARM. Android IA is android Intel architecture, ie, x86 with Intel extensions, ie Intel core i3 and above only. There is no such thing as an operating system which is not architecture locked, I would have looked into that before writing the tutorial if I were you....

Thatgrass

Jan 14, 2012
XDA-Developers
surface RT is ARM. Android IA is android Intel architecture, ie, x86 with Intel extensions, ie Intel core i3 and above only. There is no such thing as an operating system which is not architecture locked, I would have looked into that before writing the tutorial if I were you....

I wrote it for Acer iconia W700, my own device. I know how that device works, but other devices aren't well known by me.
Thanks for your information ;)

baffone001

Jun 19, 2009
(big edit)

Many thanks for your help.

I followed your guide since I've got an Iconia W700, like you. Which option should I take? If I choose "run..." I got an error.

Live-installation works, though.

Did Bluetooth work in your sistem? In my w700 it just goes ON but doesnt recognize any device.

Suggestions? :)

Last edited:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
(big edit)

Many thanks for your help.

I followed your guide since I've got an Iconia W700, like you. Which option should I take? If I choose "run..." I got an error.

Live-installation works, though.

Did Bluetooth work in your sistem? In my w700 it just goes ON but doesnt recognize any device.

Suggestions? :)

Bluetooth does not function under Android-IA, its in their FAQ.

baffone001

Jun 19, 2009

Thanks guys for your help :)

I'll wait they fix bluetooth.... it is worthless for me this way because I need android for GPS-mapping programs, which I only use with an external gps-bluetooth receiver...

I can't find a good gps-offline-software for windows... (like sygic for android, for example)

Last edited:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Thanks guys for your help :)

I'll wait they fix bluetooth.... it is worthless for me this way because I need android for GPS-mapping programs, which I only use with an external gps-bluetooth receiver...

I can't find a good gps-offline-software for windows... (like sygic for android, for example)

Hit up the car computer forums, they often manage to hunt down absolute gems of GPS navigation software.

Alternatively, there are quite a few good linux navigation software suites out there apparently. Ubuntu is reasonably easy for a newcomer to use and also works alright with touch, I prefer linux mint normally but it doesnt play so nicely with touch (but it may be possible to install the ubuntu UI atop mint as mint is already a fork from ubuntu).

3rd choice. An FTDI cable may work under Android-IA in which case you can use one of the many serial GPS units out there. Most bluetooth GPS recievers are just serial based units with a bluetooth radio attached in the SPP mode.

I think the bluetooth should work fine with the linux option.

Reactions: baffone001

baffone001

Jun 19, 2009
I think the bluetooth should work fine with the linux option.

I've always been a big fan of ubuntu. I used to have Lubuntu like only OS on my old 1000H eeepc.

But I lost a day and a full night trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 on this w700 keeping Win8 (so, dual boot) and I got really MAD since there's no way it could recognize the hard-drive partitions. I have to abort the linux thing at the moment, hoping that 13.10 or whatever could solve the problem I have with Acer W700.

I think I'll try Autoroute or some freeware option....

marcus70

Mar 10, 2011

but under the major change for Version: android-4.2.2_r1-ia2,they did mention the bluetooth is working

Major Changes:
* Secure-boot support (not default)
* Mesa rebased onto freedesktop upstream
* Bluetooth working on Iconia W700 (bluedroid stack)
* ADB TCP sessions auto-reconnect
* Linux kernel 3.9.1

however i faced the same problem..live installation work only,able to turn on the bluetooth but unable to connect to other devices..guess have to wait for more update

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
I've always been a big fan of ubuntu. I used to have Lubuntu like only OS on my old 1000H eeepc.

But I lost a day and a full night trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 on this w700 keeping Win8 (so, dual boot) and I got really MAD since there's no way it could recognize the hard-drive partitions. I have to abort the linux thing at the moment, hoping that 13.10 or whatever could solve the problem I have with Acer W700.

I think I'll try Autoroute or some freeware option....

There is a guide on these forums for installing ubuntu on the surface pro which under the hood is essentially the same device as the W700. Might be worth taking a look at to see if it offers any help.

baffone001

Jun 19, 2009
but under the major change for Version: android-4.2.2_r1-ia2,they did mention the bluetooth is working

* Bluetooth working on Iconia W700 (bluedroid stack)

however i faced the same problem..live installation work only,able to turn on the bluetooth but unable to connect to other devices..guess have to wait for more update

See? I experience the same you do on my W700. Let's hope for an update :good:

There is a guide on these forums for installing ubuntu on the surface pro which under the hood is essentially the same device as the W700. Might be worth taking a look at to see if it offers any help.

Hi Six, thanks for answering. Can't find the guide, though. Would you please link me whenever you have a second? Thanks in advance :eek:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible for any damage happening to your device by doing this!

I believe Windows 8 is great for productivity, but that's not Always what we are looking for. We want to experiment with our devices and get as much out of them as possible. Android gives us the freedom to do with this tablet what we never thought possible, the overall performance is incredible and graphics are buttery smooth. However, I couldn't find a suitable guide, so I created one myself. So let's get started!

Bug list:

• Everything should be working fine, contact me if not

Requirements:

• USB Stick with at least 512 MB storage
    • USB Keyboard
    • USB-hub, because the tablet only has 1 USB port
    • Latest image available for Generic UEFI Installer from here
    • Image Writer Tool from here

Setting up a bootable USB
    1. Download Image Writer Tool, unpack it and run the ''Win32DiskImager.exe" file
    2. Once opened, navigate to your *.img file you downloaded earlier in the requirements and hit "Write" (This will format the USB drive)
    3. Let it run and once it's done your USB is good to go.
    Setting up tablet to boot from USB
    1. Enter BIOS settings by pressing the power (and hold it) and the Windows button
    2. Once there, make sure UEFI boot modus is set​

Booting from USB
    1. Make sure your tablet is turned off
    2. Plugin your USB-hub with USB Stick and Keyboard insered
    3. Power on your devices while pressing the ''F12'' button
    4. Now choose your USB device from the boot options
    5. You'll get a few options, choose the option that fits your expectations
    Note: I'd dualboot and install gummibootloader
    6. Choose your prefered option and wait, the installation will run automatically
    7. Once done, unplug everything and power off the device
    8. When you turn your tablet back on, you'll see (if you've chosen option a. or b.) a menu with the option to boot Windows or Android
    9. Navigate with volume DOWN key and select with volume UP key

This Method could also be used for the Samsung XE700T

Thanks to
    LuNaTum
    For creating a guide on how to change DPI
    For creating a guide on how to pair bluetooth devices to Android and Windows

Q&A
    Q:
    How do I install Google Play Store and other Gapps?
    A:
    1. Download a root explorer from Internet in .apk format, I recommend ES file explorer. (I think you are familiar with the way to install these)
    2. Go in ES file explorer, then click settings and enable root exploring and root access (allow any prompt)
    3. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk from here
    4. Copy with ES file explorer the downloaded .apk to /system/app/
    5. Now reboot the tablet into Android
    6. Download PlayStore_v4.1.10.apk from here
    7. Repeat step 4. and 5. with PlayStore_v4.1.10.apk
    8. Congratulations, you've installed the Google Play Store
    9. If you want to install other Gapps, download the .apk and repeat step 4. and 5.
    Note: If you don't see the app installed after reboot, try changing the .apk's permission to RW-R--R-- and reboot again

Q:
    I can't enter BIOS by holding ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button
    A:
    1. Press ''Windows''-button and ''Power''-button at the same time
    2. Let go when the ''Acer''-bootlogo appears
    3. Congratulations, you've entered the BIOS

Q:
    I can't boot from USB, because the secure boot prohibits it
    A:
    2. Set up a supervisor password
    3. Congratulations, now you can disable secure boot

Q:
    The ''Gummibootloader doesn't appear when booting, but Windows boots normally
    A:
    2. Change bootorder so Android comes in first place and Windows second
    3. Congratulations, you've now got Gummibootloader at boot

Q:
    Android-ia1 installed perfectly, but later versions fail to install
    A:
    1. Go to Acers site
    2. Navigate to Home page > Support > Drivers and Manuals > Select [your..tablet] > BIOS
    3. Download the latest BIOS
    4. Update the devices BIOS
    5. Congratulations, you'll be able to install Android-ia2 and later

Q:
    What other devices will also be combatible with this method?
    A:
    Samsung XE700T

Q:
    How to get bluetooth mouse and keyboard working on Android and Windows at the same time?
    A:
    1. Pair your bluetooth devices first with android and the with Windows
    2. On Windows download PsExec
    3.Then from downloaded file copy PsExec.exe in Windows to directory C:\Windows\System32 or to directory where your System32 folder is.
    4. Write in the search cmd and run it as administrator
    5. Then use command: psexec -s -i regedit.exe
    6. Now go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Keys
    7. From \Keys you can find your paired bluetooth devices. First there is the devices bluetooh mac address and 32 numbers long linkkey. Now write those linkeys and mac addresses up or copy them.
    8. Now everything is set on Windows side. Next boot to android.
    9. On android you need again for example ES file Explorer and R/W rights
    10. With file Explorer fro root go to /data/misc/bluedroid/
    11. Open file called BT_config.xml
    12. From text find your devices using mac address
    13. When you find you devices mac addres scroll down and you should see line with linkkey and 32 number code.
    14. Now take that 32 number code you got from Windows
    15 You have to change it little so the linkey works and here how it's done:
    for example your Windows linkkey is "12345678qwertyuiasdfghjkpoiuytre" now set it as 8 number clusters like this
    "12345678 qwertyui asdfghjk poiuytre"
    Now you have to reverse those 8 number clusters
    Take the set on far right "poiuytre" and mark it like this "po iu yt re"
    Now reverse those pairs like this "re yt iu po"
    Now "reytiupo" this is the first line in the new linkkey
    Do the same for other three cluster. After it's done this example linkkey looks like this "reytiupojkghdfasuityerqw78563412"
    16. When you have your modified Windows linkkey ready you can just replace the old one from the file BT_config.xml
    17. Now just reboot android and your keyboard and mouse should work.

Q: How to change DPI from 213 to 160 (or something else)
    A:
    1. Get file manager on android like ES file Explorer
    2. R/W rights to whole system on android
    3. From root go to /system/etc/machine-props/
    4. Open acer-w700.prop with ES Explorer and edit line "ro.sf.lcd_density = 213" and change 213 to 160
    5. Reboot android and system should now be 160 DPI
    will this working on Iconia W500?

No as that is a clovertrail device. Clovertrail is physically incapable of booting into anything other than windows 8, Intel locked it for this generation silicon only, bay trail has the restriction lifted.

Sorry I meant Surface RT

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Hmm, then you could try this image, but I can't promise anything ;) at least this one isn't especially for x86 system

The latest build comes with the framework and play store built in.
    When I download the play store and install it. It will open for half a second them close. What am I doing wrong here?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Download the framework and the play store both and put them in system/app/ directory, change permissions and reboot into android, now it should be working!