Search This thread

nichitandrei

Apr 9, 2010
Dubai
Dualboot Windows 8.1 and Android-x86 on Sony Vaio Duo 11
Sony_Vaio_Duo_11_android_x86.jpg

Required:
  • 3 USB Flash Drive
    1. Make a bootable USB with Windows 8 (in case that something goes wrong). Make sure that the bootable USB is working: shutdown your Vaio Duo 11 and press the Assist key (next to volume key) and choosing form the menu the option Recover or maintain your system (if everything is ok, it will start Windows installation so you can press long the Power button, remove this USB and start Windows to continue with next two USB)
    2. Make a bootable USB with Android
    3. On this USB you will install Android (it should be at least 16GB storage and I recommend to be an USB 3)
    [*]​
    EaseUS Partition Master from here
  • Win32DiskImager from here
  • Latest version of the Android-x86 from here

Preparing Guide:
  • Insert the 3rd USB in your PC
  • Open EaseUS Partition Master and format the 3rd USB to ext3 and set it as primary
  • Remove the 3rd USB
  • Insert the 2nd USB in your PC
  • Open Win32DiskImager, choose the Android-x86 image, on Device choose the 2nd USB, press Write and wait till the Progress is done
  • Shutdown your PC
  • Press Assist button and go to bios and disable Secure Boot and change the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy
  • Save changes and Shutdown

Install Guide:
  • Press Assist button and "Start from media" (you need to have inserted the 2nd USB)
  • It will start "Android-x86 Live & Installation CD"
  • Choose "Installation – Install Android-x86 to harddisk"
  • Now you have to insert the 3rd USB and press "Detect devices" (pay attention on what devices appear because you will have to choose this one)
  • Choose the device that appear when you inserted the 3rd USB (if you are not sure is better to write down all the devices and when you will insert the 3rd USB you will see clearly the new device and if you want, you can ask me which one is the right one)
  • When it ask you to format, choose “Do not format”
  • “Do you want to install Grub” choose Yes
  • “Do you want to install /system directory as read/write?” choose Yes
  • “Android-x86 is install successfully” choose Reboot
  • When your PC is rebooting, remove the 2nd USB
  • It will start the boot loader Gnu Grub were you choose Android-x86 4.4-r1

Note:
The first time when boot Android-x86 it will take a longer time
Auto Rotate doesn't work, but you can search on Google Play the word "Rotate" and you can install the first app

Thanks to saary

Last edited:

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
Will this work on the Duo 13? I have one and although I think I have plenty enough Android devices (especially with Xperia Z2 tablet), it should work the same way since they're almost the same except under the hood, right?

Sent from my D6708

nichitandrei

Apr 9, 2010
Dubai
Will this work on the Duo 13? I have one and although I think I have plenty enough Android devices (especially with Xperia Z2 tablet), it should work the same way since they're almost the same except under the hood, right?

Sent from my D6708

It should work, I can't see why not. Just try to follow the steps carefully and if there is anything that you don't know or you're not sure, is better to ask. Good luck

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone