[Guide][DualBootPatcher] Multi Boot for Note Pro 12.2

Search This thread

Valera1978

Sep 25, 2009
Minsk
I'm not responsible for any damage to your device of any sort.
By flashing this you take responsibility of anything that happens.
Process at your own risk!

First of all, I want to say big thanks for @chenxiaolong
Only his hard work allowed us to use an easy way to switch firmware.
I just built the debug version of the program with small changes to our tablets, checked it and pulled request to the author.
From today (version 9.1.0.r205.g1dc88ed2) our devices are officially supported.

Supported both devices – SM-P905 (viennalte) and SM-P900 (v1awifi).
SM-P905 - tested by me.
SM-P900 - not checked yet.

Official site: https://dbp.noobdev.io
Source code: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/DualBootPatcher
Official thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447534

Here I just want create a small guide, how to use program.

Primary rom – big rom (touchwiz rom), it will be store in system partition. Another roms will eat part of data partition.

Let's see example:
Primary firmware – touchwiz rom (my port or official 5.0.2 firmware) with root.
First additional firmware – lineage 13
Later you can add as many firmwares as you want.

1. Download additional firmwares and gapps (if you need it)
2. Download the most recent snapshot release of Dual Boot Patcher and install it on tablet.
3. Open Dual Boot Patcher and grant root permission. Open menu (3 lines at the top left corner) and go to the ROMs. It will promt set kernel (say yes) or you can press 3 dot menu key and click “Set kernel”. It's should be done only once - Dual Boot Patcher will store boot for primary partition.
4. Then open menu again and go to the “Patch Zip file”. Press “+” at the right bottom corner and then “Add flashable zip”. Chose “lineage 13” zip file. In new small window: Device will be selected automatically (LTE or Wifi version), in the “Partition configuration” select “Data slot” and then enter an ID: “lineage13” for example. In description you will see: “Installs ROM to /data/multiboot/data-slot-lineage13” and press continue. Then program will prompt store new zip file. It's very important: you should store zip in the internal storage. Then you need to start convert (press checkbox at the right top corner).
5. Make item 4 for gapps (on this moment I getting crash of the program, just run program again). When you will enter an ID – it's should be the same as for firmware. If you entering “lineage13” for rom, you should entering “lineage13” for gapps too.
6. Now we have both files in the internal storage. Reboot in TWRP. Very important: just flash both files without ANY wipes and then reboot.
7. Your device will boot into new rom. Install Dual Boot Patcher app and set the kernel for your second ROM as well.
8. Now if you want back to the primary rom – in ROMs menu just press to the primary rom (you will see message: “Successfully switched ROM”) and reboot.
9. If you need more additional roms – repeat items 4-7 with new Data slot ID
10. Wipe additional rom – in ROMs – press 3 dot menu for needed rom – select “Wipe ROM” - and check all items, except last one (“Multiboot files”).
11. Remove additional rom – in ROMs – press 3 dot menu for needed rom – select “Wipe ROM” - and check all items here.

I played yesterday with Dual Boot Patcher, installed 4 roms - it's working great.
Just carefully use guide.

Last edited:

Valera1978

Sep 25, 2009
Minsk
I ask you to clarify, the patch should be applied to all files? supersu, xposed, any addons? or only ROM and GApps?

All files.
The idea is: replace links (mount) to partitions (like system, data, cache) to folder in data partition or sdcard. This is why we need to patch the firmware and additionals in program.
So we need to be careful with the aroma installer that use their own update-binary (not our case).
I checked on the 13.0, 14.1 and my port. All was fine.

TaeJaLee

Apr 1, 2017
error message

i clicked 'set kernal' but received an error message "could not determine the boot partition because this device's codename 'v1awifikx' is not recognized"
what should I do? help please.... T_T

TaeJaLee

Apr 1, 2017
it occurs error in installing..
I guess because of different codename (T800 <-> P900)

(without dualboot patching, it was installed successfully)

diehengardt

Jul 4, 2017
Hi @Valera1978

thanks for this amazing port.
I did successed in flashing my primary ROM (a modified & rooted & bloatware free '5.0.02' Samsung stock rom: LL-5.0.2-TW]CivZ_P900_Lollipop-5.0.2-Rev4.0 [BPA1][Final Release]), then installed the DualBoot app with success and set the kernel -> fine.

Then I patched an unofficial resurrection remix 5.8.5 as multiboot-data-01 with its respective opengapps pico, both with success and flashed them with TWRP also with success.
RR ROM boot and setup are fine!

up to there all is fine.
But then I simply can't install the DualBoot App on my data-01 ROM (the RR 5.8.5). I get an error message saying I can't install (don't have the exact message in mind and I forget to bring my tab with me at work).

what could cause this miss-behavior?
I know I can still swap ROMs with TWRP with the tips you mentionned (did not tried yet as I did not finalized setting up my RR rom).

For folks wanting to try DualBootPatcher on P900 (v1awifi) do not try to install as secondary nor as cashed slots: you simply do not have enough space (well I think I did succesed with a LineageOS on cache but not sure, RR always failed).
This seems to work grand on data slots.

thanks in adance for your help.
Die

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not responsible for any damage to your device of any sort.
    By flashing this you take responsibility of anything that happens.
    Process at your own risk!

First of all, I want to say big thanks for @chenxiaolong
    Only his hard work allowed us to use an easy way to switch firmware.
    I just built the debug version of the program with small changes to our tablets, checked it and pulled request to the author.
    From today (version 9.1.0.r205.g1dc88ed2) our devices are officially supported.

Supported both devices – SM-P905 (viennalte) and SM-P900 (v1awifi).
    SM-P905 - tested by me.
    SM-P900 - not checked yet.

Official site: https://dbp.noobdev.io
    Source code: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/DualBootPatcher
    Official thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447534

Here I just want create a small guide, how to use program.

Primary rom – big rom (touchwiz rom), it will be store in system partition. Another roms will eat part of data partition.

Let's see example:
    Primary firmware – touchwiz rom (my port or official 5.0.2 firmware) with root.
    First additional firmware – lineage 13
    Later you can add as many firmwares as you want.

1. Download additional firmwares and gapps (if you need it)
    2. Download the most recent snapshot release of Dual Boot Patcher and install it on tablet.
    3. Open Dual Boot Patcher and grant root permission. Open menu (3 lines at the top left corner) and go to the ROMs. It will promt set kernel (say yes) or you can press 3 dot menu key and click “Set kernel”. It's should be done only once - Dual Boot Patcher will store boot for primary partition.
    4. Then open menu again and go to the “Patch Zip file”. Press “+” at the right bottom corner and then “Add flashable zip”. Chose “lineage 13” zip file. In new small window: Device will be selected automatically (LTE or Wifi version), in the “Partition configuration” select “Data slot” and then enter an ID: “lineage13” for example. In description you will see: “Installs ROM to /data/multiboot/data-slot-lineage13” and press continue. Then program will prompt store new zip file. It's very important: you should store zip in the internal storage. Then you need to start convert (press checkbox at the right top corner).
    5. Make item 4 for gapps (on this moment I getting crash of the program, just run program again). When you will enter an ID – it's should be the same as for firmware. If you entering “lineage13” for rom, you should entering “lineage13” for gapps too.
    6. Now we have both files in the internal storage. Reboot in TWRP. Very important: just flash both files without ANY wipes and then reboot.
    7. Your device will boot into new rom. Install Dual Boot Patcher app and set the kernel for your second ROM as well.
    8. Now if you want back to the primary rom – in ROMs menu just press to the primary rom (you will see message: “Successfully switched ROM”) and reboot.
    9. If you need more additional roms – repeat items 4-7 with new Data slot ID
    10. Wipe additional rom – in ROMs – press 3 dot menu for needed rom – select “Wipe ROM” - and check all items, except last one (“Multiboot files”).
    11. Remove additional rom – in ROMs – press 3 dot menu for needed rom – select “Wipe ROM” - and check all items here.

I played yesterday with Dual Boot Patcher, installed 4 roms - it's working great.
    Just carefully use guide.
    i clicked 'set kernal' but received an error message "could not determine the boot partition because this device's codename 'v1awifikx' is not recognized"
    what should I do? help please.... T_T

Added the request (https://github.com/chenxiaolong/DualBootPatcher/pull/485) to the author.
    I hope soon (today\tomorrow) will be a version with v1awifikx support.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone