[GUIDE] Easiest way to root/magisk Oneplus 8 Pro

Search This thread

mahendral

Nov 3, 2016
This method will not flash any custom recovery or any custom boots.

Caution: I don't take any responsibility. Proceed with your own risk and resilience in mind

Prerequisites: Oxygen OS 11 (tested with 11, issues reported with 10) and a PC with working adb and fastboot commands.

Method:
  1. Download lineage-18.1-20210606-recovery-instantnoodlep.img or never version to your pc
  2. Download Magisk-v23.0.apk or newer and rename it as Magisk-v23.0.zip
  3. Enable OEM unlock in the Developer options under device Settings, if present.
  4. Boot in to bootloader
    1. adb reboot bootloader
    2. Or press "Volume Up + Volume Down + Power" when the device boots
  5. Unlock the bootloader (Caution: this will factory reset your phone)
    1. fastboot oem unlock
  6. Boot in to bootloader again
  7. Boot in to lineage recovery temporarily (not flashing)
    1. fastboot boot lineage-18.1-20210606-recovery-instantnoodlep.img
  8. You will be booted in to lineage recovery, install Magisk-v23.0.zip now
    1. Enable ADB
    2. Apply update
    3. Apply from ADB
    4. in your pc: adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.zip
  9. Reboot and voilà.. you are done.
Cheers!!

Last edited:

Abort Retry Fail?

Apr 9, 2015
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 12
Worked like a charm, except for some confusion in the recovery menu choices. After enabling ADB in recovery, I had to choose "Apply update." I was then given a choice to "Apply from ADB." After enabling that option, "adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.zip" gave me an error message about some kind of mismatch and asking me if I wanted to install anyway. I took a deep breath, clicked "Yes," and all went well. Needless to say, all others proceed at their own risks, but my IN2025 running OS 11.0.7.7.IN11AA is now happily rooted with Magisk V23.0.

Reactions: mahendral

Abort Retry Fail?

Apr 9, 2015
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 12
Wow! This is just awesome!! What will be the downside of a rooted device though? Will I still get OTA update?
Yes, you will get OTA updates. If you want to accept them and still retain root, you'll need to uninstall Magisk and "Restore the boot images" so the phone will accept the OTA update. You then install the update from System Update in Settings, BUT DO NOT REBOOT!!!! Navigate back to the Magisk Manager app and click on "Install" for Magisk. You'll want the option that says, "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA.)" After that installation finishes, you can safely reboot the OS update installed and rooted.

melmarPH

Feb 2, 2016
Caloocan City
Yes, you will get OTA updates. If you want to accept them and still retain root, you'll need to uninstall Magisk and "Restore the boot images" so the phone will accept the OTA update. You then install the update from System Update in Settings, BUT DO NOT REBOOT!!!! Navigate back to the Magisk Manager app and click on "Install" for Magisk. You'll want the option that says, "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA.)" After that installation finishes, you can safely reboot the OS update installed and rooted.
Sweet. Thanks a lot for the guide mate.

n08

Jun 18, 2021

Caution: I don't take any responsibility. Proceed with your own risk and resilience in mind
  1. Download lineage-18.1-20210606-recovery-instantnoodlep.img or never version to your pc
  3. Enable OEM unlock in the Developer options under device Settings, if present.
  4. Boot in to bootloader
    1. adb reboot bootloader
    1. fastboot oem unlock
    1. Enable ADB
    2. Select ADB sideload
    3. in your pc: adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.zip
Cheers!!
On step 5 I dont see the option for fastboot oem unlock anywhere. Can a nob get a noob friendlier guide? As im lost thanks!

mahendral

Nov 3, 2016
On step 5 I dont see the option for fastboot oem unlock anywhere. Can a nob get a noob friendlier guide? As im lost thanks!
Here I have assumed that the adb and the fastboot are available in your PC before begin. Step 5 should be executed from your PC (Linux or Windows) with the phone is connected through USB.

bc1977

Dec 22, 2010
OnePlus 6
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
@mahendral
Super guide!
Got my OP8 Pro yesterday, less than one hour after unboxing, it was rooted:)
Why so long? :D
Because i had to update to OOS 11 (OOS 10 out of the box).
If you try your method with OOS 10, you get stuck at this step:
Boot in to lineage recovery temporarily
==> Stuck at Fastboot logo
Hence i updated to OOS 11 OB and it worked like a charm!

Thanks a lot :)

mahendral

Nov 3, 2016
@mahendral
Super guide!

Thanks for the info bc1977, I'll add that as a prerequisite

Reactions: XDAMaxe and bc1977

mahendral

Nov 3, 2016
Worked like a charm, except for some confusion in the recovery menu choices. After enabling ADB in recovery, I had to choose "Apply update." I was then given a choice to "Apply from ADB." After enabling that option, "adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.zip" gave me an error message about some kind of mismatch and asking me if I wanted to install anyway. I took a deep breath, clicked "Yes," and all went well. Needless to say, all others proceed at their own risks, but my IN2025 running OS 11.0.7.7.IN11AA is now happily rooted with Magisk V23.0.
Amended the steps to sideload with exact steps as you pointed out. Thanks

cjvzla

Apr 25, 2011
OnePlus 8
Hi, will this work on normal OP8 version IN2015? thanks.

EDIT: so this guide is for both unlocking bootloader and having root?

Last edited:

STALKER18

Oct 18, 2015
Jijel
Sony Xperia Z2
LG G3
How can I root latest version (11.0.8.8) with magisk?
same thing, since there is nothing specified for the OS version ONLY OOS 11.
im going to flash this to 11.0.8.8, if u want to wait or u can try it and report back before I do ^^
Edit-------------
I successfully rooted my phone ver 11.0.8.8 using this method with latest lineage recovery

Last edited:

Sneakdovi

Dec 5, 2014
same thing, since there is nothing specified for the OS version ONLY OOS 11.
im going to flash this to 11.0.8.8, if u want to wait or u can try it and report back before I do ^^
Edit-------------
I successfully rooted my phone ver 11.0.8.8 using this method with latest lineage recovery
Same

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Prerequisites: Oxygen OS 11 (tested with 11, issues reported with 10) and a PC with working adb and fastboot commands.

Method:
    4. Boot in to bootloader
      1. adb reboot bootloader
      1. fastboot oem unlock
      1. Enable ADB
      2. Apply update
      3. Apply from ADB
      4. in your pc: adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.zip
    Cheers!!
    Wow! This is just awesome!! What will be the downside of a rooted device though? Will I still get OTA update?
    @mahendral
    Super guide!

Thanks for the info bc1977, I'll add that as a prerequisite
    The lineage-18.1-20210606-recovery-instantnoodlep.img is no longer available though. Help
    I just googled the file name and found a mirror with new images. Google is your friend, as they say.