[GUIDE] Enable Adaptive Audio on Pixel 4/XL

Search This thread

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Hey everybody,

I guess I was not the only one being a bit disappointed that google didn´t make adaptive audio available for the Pixel 4 devices as well.
To be honest I personally think it´s a bit of a gimmicky feature that´s not very critical, but making it exclusive to Pixel 5 left a bitter after taste.

Here´s how to enable the feature persistent across reboots on a rooted device:

1. Download the pixel 5 device personalization app from apkmirror and install the app:

2. Flash the attached magisk module Adaptive_Audio_Settings_Enabler.zip via magisk manager app and do a reboot.
Wait a few minutes after the phone booted successfully and the entry in settings will appear.

Manual command method, doesn´t survive reboots but works on unrooted devices as well:

1. Download the pixel 5 device personalization app from apkmirror and install the app:

2. Make sure to have USB Debugging enabled via developer options and have a working adb environment. Then connect your phone to pc.

3. Type the following:
Code:
adb shell

4. then type (this step is not needed)
Code:
su
grant superuser permission in the window that opens on your phone.

5. Now paste the following commands:
Code:
device_config put device_personalization_services AdaptiveAudio__enable_adaptive_audio true
Code:
device_config put device_personalization_services AdaptiveAudio__show_promo_notification true

You can enable it now in settings and try the feature for yourself.

A few notes here:
I´m unsure how much profit this feature really gives, even on the Pixel 5. When enabling it on my 4XL the sound gets a bit more bassy.
Judging from the logs it should be working as it is with the steps described above. It might be that it´s tuned towards the Pixel 5, but well... Having options is always nice :)

The guide with the manual commands works without root, for those that don´t like to run rooted. I was able to disable and enable the feature back again without the need for root. Maybe some apps can execute scripts without root on the phone so it will stay across reboots. Somebody else has to figure this out though. :)

Have fun with it :)

Screenshot_20201216-110549~2.pngScreenshot_20201216-110557.pngScreenshot_20201216-110611.pngScreenshot_20201216-110617.png

Attachments

• Adaptive_Audio_Settings_Enabler.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 3,375
Last edited:

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Thank you for the tip, but whenever I reboot the phone it will not stick, I'm currently rooted.

You´re correct. I didn´t notice it, because it takes a short while for the setting to disappear after rebooting.

I made a magisk module, that passes the command every boot after a timeout. Magisk required obviously ;)

Reactions: yyz71 and Zilla0617

Zilla0617

Oct 25, 2016
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 8 Pro
You´re correct. I didn´t notice it, because it takes a short while for the setting to disappear after rebooting.

I made a magisk module, that passes the command every boot after a timeout. Magisk required obviously ;)

After installing the module, I added the commands using adb shell but adaptive sound still does not persist after a reboot.

Reactions: Freak07

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
After installing the module, I added the commands using adb shell but adaptive sound still does not persist after a reboot.

Flash the module in magisk manager, reboot, wait a few minutes and the entry should pop up. It needs a few minutes. There’s no need for any manual commands with the module.

Reactions: Zilla0617

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
how i do adb Do you have an example please?

There are plenty of guides on xda on how to setup adb.

If you are rooted with magisk and unfamiliar with command line, there's also the magisk module.

How do I get back to the original device personalization service app?

Open it in play store and hit uninstall. Then update again and it will install the latest one for pixel 4.

Open this link when viewing xda via browser on your phone.

Escribis

Jul 29, 2014
I am sorry telling you that my friend but I am rooted and did yesterday the process and everything was ok, after some seconds as you said the adaptive sound wan in my menu.

Today as I went to check if it was still there, kaboom, disappeared so I uninstalled everything and did it from the beginning, so it can be installed again.

Have an idea why?

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
Can confirm that it still does work. But after rebooting even with the root method and the module still showing up in magisk adaptive sound vanished in settings. Reinstalling the module makes it appear again and function.

Edit: The feature just vanished without a reboot. Guess Le Googs doesn't wan tus usingit RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: yyz71

tifone

Dec 17, 2020
The comment above and I are experiencing the same symptoms. When a module is installed, it is initially visible in the configuration, but sometimes it is not present after a period of time. If you reboot each time, it will come back.

However, I wish it could be maintained without rebooting.

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
The comment above and I are experiencing the same symptoms. When a module is installed, it is initially visible in the configuration, but sometimes it is not present after a period of time. If you reboot each time, it will come back.

However, I wish it could be maintained without rebooting.

How long does it persist for you after you reboot?

tifone

Dec 17, 2020
I think I figured out why it sometimes disappears when I check it after some time.
I'm using the dolby digital plus module, but after deleting this module once, I tested to see if it disappears after a while, and the adaptive sound was maintained.

I'm not sure if it's causing a conflict between modules. I also noticed that the two modules run together at first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everybody,

I guess I was not the only one being a bit disappointed that google didn´t make adaptive audio available for the Pixel 4 devices as well.
    To be honest I personally think it´s a bit of a gimmicky feature that´s not very critical, but making it exclusive to Pixel 5 left a bitter after taste.

Here´s how to enable the feature persistent across reboots on a rooted device:

2. Flash the attached magisk module Adaptive_Audio_Settings_Enabler.zip via magisk manager app and do a reboot.
    Wait a few minutes after the phone booted successfully and the entry in settings will appear.

Manual command method, doesn´t survive reboots but works on unrooted devices as well:

2. Make sure to have USB Debugging enabled via developer options and have a working adb environment. Then connect your phone to pc.

3. Type the following:
    Code:
    adb shell

4. then type (this step is not needed)
    Code:
    su
    grant superuser permission in the window that opens on your phone.

5. Now paste the following commands:
    Code:
    device_config put device_personalization_services AdaptiveAudio__enable_adaptive_audio true
    Code:
    device_config put device_personalization_services AdaptiveAudio__show_promo_notification true

You can enable it now in settings and try the feature for yourself.

A few notes here:
    I´m unsure how much profit this feature really gives, even on the Pixel 5. When enabling it on my 4XL the sound gets a bit more bassy.
    Judging from the logs it should be working as it is with the steps described above. It might be that it´s tuned towards the Pixel 5, but well... Having options is always nice :)

The guide with the manual commands works without root, for those that don´t like to run rooted. I was able to disable and enable the feature back again without the need for root. Maybe some apps can execute scripts without root on the phone so it will stay across reboots. Somebody else has to figure this out though. :)

Have fun with it :)

Screenshot_20201216-110549~2.pngScreenshot_20201216-110557.pngScreenshot_20201216-110611.pngScreenshot_20201216-110617.png
    There was again a new update to device personalization services:

When toggling adaptive audio the difference has become very distinct now. :)
    There’s a new update to device personalization services. If you have automatic background updates in playstore enabled you might end up with the R11 pixel 4 version.

Here is a link to the latest pixel 5 apk again:
    Hmm, I don't use that module and adaptive audio vanishes for me quite quickly. Not sure what else it could be at this point honestly. Since your post, has the feature maintained?

It usually sticks for me at least a few days. But I also had one instance where it got disabled after 12hours or so.

I did some more digging and it seems it´s actually overwritten by google play services.
    My module basically issues a command, that activates adaptive audio, which is part of the device personalization apk from pixel 5.
    On the Pixel 5, this command originates from play services. The device gets identified as a Pixel 5, play services tells the device personalization apk to enable it and it appears.

Unfortunately switching the prop that identifies the Pixel 4 XL to a Pixel 5 causes a bunch of issues. So that´s out of the question for now.
    What happens when the setting vanishes is that Google PlayServices simply runs the command to enable or disable adaptive audio again. I don´t know what triggers this behaviour, but I guess just some background stuff from play services. Since the Pixel 4 XL is not eligible for the feature it will overwrite whatever I set to the device config after boot.
    That´s also the reason why you have to wait 2 minutes for the setting to appear after a reboot. reboot, play services run and disable adaptive audio, my module issues the command and it´s enabled again.

Simple workaround:

Create a simple script that issues the commands from the OP to enable adaptive audio. Run the script when you notice the setting is gone. That doesn´t need a reboot.