[Guide] Enable AT&T US HD Voice/VoLTE on non-supported W10M phones

Search This thread

73blazer

Feb 16, 2022
Just curious if anyone currently has a 950XL in the United States that is functioning with VoLTE on T-mobile or ATT after the 3g shutdown.

I'm currently using a 640 LTE RM 1073 with T-mobile Windows 8 that drops back to 4g or 2g for voice calls and maintains an LTE connection otherwise.
That's what the latter part of this thread is about at least for AT&T, can't speak for t-mobile. Read through the last couple pages on how to get a 950XL on ATT

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
Just curious if anyone currently has a 950XL in the United States that is functioning with VoLTE on T-mobile or ATT after the 3g shutdown.

I'm currently using a 640 LTE RM 1073 with T-mobile Windows 8 that drops back to 4g or 2g for voice calls and maintains an LTE connection otherwise.
I am tempted to get another 950xl, but I am on Google Fi...have been on Fi since losing my last bit of patience with T-mobile as they have THE worst customer service I have experienced with any provider in the last decade.

Old_Mil

Aug 30, 2018
I am tempted to get another 950xl, but I am on Google Fi...have been on Fi since losing my last bit of patience with T-mobile as they have THE worst customer service I have experienced with any provider in the last decade.
I'm with Mint now, it works well. T-mobile's network without the customer service, monetization of your usage, and you're pretty well free to swap handsets, APNs, etc as you wish. Also, it's one of the few MVNOs, if not the only one, that allows international roaming (you have to buy gigs and minutes through their website) when you travel.

I was just wondering with the latest changes to cellular networks in the US and the 3G/2G drawdown what people's experiences were with regards to VoLTE, HD voice, call reliability, and (if anyone is using it) Wifi calling in the summer of 2022.

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
I have a prototype ATT 950XL SS that works with PureTalk just fine, it is stuck on a real old version of Windows and it won't update but it works.

I purchased a brand new SS 950 XL and it doesn't call out.

Can I have PureTalk just copy the IMEI from the prototype to the new one to make it work?

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
I have a prototype ATT 950XL SS that works with PureTalk just fine, it is stuck on a real old version of Windows and it won't update but it works.

I purchased a brand new SS 950 XL and it doesn't call out.

Can I have PureTalk just copy the IMEI from the prototype to the new one to make it work?
I am unfamiliar with how PureTalk operates as a Cellular Network Provider. Some providers require you to call customer service when you start "sim swapping". There are a couple reasons this happens...the simplest reason is that the provider simply does not see the new phone being activated on your plan before you insert the sim. If this is not your scenario, then it is probably the phone itself.

Most Single Sim Lumia 950 XL phones were non-US region based phones so the ROM would exclude certain provisioning that would be needed for US carriers. Sure you might get basic 2g or even 3g connections but the actual provisioning for US towers would not be complete. There is a a "best" method approach for this but it is not simple. In a nut shell you could tinker with the ADC directory on the phone swapping the provxml/cab files (modem configurations) out with some that are found on the US FFU or you can try to flash a US FFU entirely. If it were me I would simply flash a north american FFU for a single sim 950XL to that phone to see if it fixes anything.

If you updated to the latest and greatest and things are broken, then you do a hard reset and things are still broken, you have no other option but to completely re-flash the phone and try again. So many days/weeks/months I used to spend doing that while testing different things and after a while it just becomes second nature....if you are planning on using Windows 10 Mobile phones in the future get familiar with how to reflash an ffu to the phone.

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
I am unfamiliar with how PureTalk operates as a Cellular Network Provider. Some providers require you to call customer service when you start "sim swapping". There are a couple reasons this happens...the simplest reason is that the provider simply does not see the new phone being activated on your plan before you insert the sim. If this is not your scenario, then it is probably the phone itself.

Most Single Sim Lumia 950 XL phones were non-US region based phones so the ROM would exclude certain provisioning that would be needed for US carriers. Sure you might get basic 2g or even 3g connections but the actual provisioning for US towers would not be complete. There is a a "best" method approach for this but it is not simple. In a nut shell you could tinker with the ADC directory on the phone swapping the provxml/cab files (modem configurations) out with some that are found on the US FFU or you can try to flash a US FFU entirely. If it were me I would simply flash a north american FFU for a single sim 950XL to that phone to see if it fixes anything.

If you updated to the latest and greatest and things are broken, then you do a hard reset and things are still broken, you have no other option but to completely re-flash the phone and try again. So many days/weeks/months I used to spend doing that while testing different things and after a while it just becomes second nature....if you are planning on using Windows 10 Mobile phones in the future get familiar with how to reflash an ffu to the phone.
Great! I will take the route of flashing an American FFU. I'm happy to learn how to do this. Can you point me in the right direction for instructions and files?

Kind regards,

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
Great! I will take the route of flashing an American FFU. I'm happy to learn how to do this. Can you point me in the right direction for instructions and files?

Kind regards,
You will need to spend time studying forum posts etc to know what method will work best for yourself. Personally I would just use Heathcliffs Windows phone internals. I am unsure if he took his download site down but his github site remains https://github.com/ReneLergner/WPinternals.

If you want to learn more and take your time, there are more than a couple ffu flashing methods that still work for the Lumia 950 XL. One is using thor2.exe and that to me was always the easiest and quickest for my scenarios. Also https://www.lumiafirmware.com/ is still up and you can find just about every ffu archived there.

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
I have been reading up on getting this done and taking my time so I don't screw anything up.

Looks like I will use the Thor2 method to get this done. I have downloaded 2 firmwares that seem compatible with my phone.

I'm on the latest version of Windows Phone on the new single sim phone.

I'm not entirely sure what flash and update setting I should make with the phone.

Would you mind sharing the command parameters I should use to get my SS to call out on the network?

Kind regards,

Max

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
I have been reading up on getting this done and taking my time so I don't screw anything up.

Looks like I will use the Thor2 method to get this done. I have downloaded 2 firmwares that seem compatible with my phone.

I'm on the latest version of Windows Phone on the new single sim phone.

I'm not entirely sure what flash and update setting I should make with the phone.

Would you mind sharing the command parameters I should use to get my SS to call out on the network?

Kind regards,

Max
If you are referring to relflashing your Lumia 950 XL with thor2 then something like this will simply reflash it.
thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile R:\data_files\Microsoft\wm\RM-1118\RM1118_1078.0027.10586.13058.15358.030FF5_retail_prod_signed.ffu

There are other parameter flags you can use to make sure it reloads the modem configs of the new fw which would be sometihing like
thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile R:\data_files\Microsoft\wm\RM-1105\RM1105_1078.0053.10586.13169.12716.035044_retail_prod_signed.ffu -do_full_nvi_update -do_factory_reset -reboot

Make sure you use the single sim firmware. Only the dual sim model is cross compatible with both the single sim and dual sim firmwares.

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
Great I did confirm that I downloaded the 1085 version labeled US and nonstock.

I assume I want to pull the modem config so I can call out? so use the Full NVI and factory reset?

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
Great I did confirm that I downloaded the 1085 version labeled US and nonstock.

I assume I want to pull the modem config so I can call out? so use the Full NVI and factory reset?
Theoretically after you flash using just the first command without adding the flag to do the nviupdate, your sim is inserted, you boot it up fill out the questions sign in etc and get to the home screen the phone will automatically restart. This is because the modemconfig cab provisioning will initiate and inspect the current version and if it differs than what the current xml file contains it will automatically do an nviupdate. If you do not see this prompt than most likely it did not "re-do" the modem configuration and yes you would want that. Do this, flashing with a new ffu, or anything will not guarantee your calls just start working though. I only shared this info so that you can at least attempt to see if this fixes your calling issue. Unless you know the exact root cause as to why you cannot call on Pure Talk from this phone, simply reflashing is only an attempt to try to solve the issue and it may not change your outcome at all...or it may fix it entirely who knows.

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
Ok, I tried it and am getting an error.

Thank you for the help!

FfuReader version is 2015061501
Send FlashApp write parameter: 0x4d544f00
Perform handshake with UEFI...
Flash app: Protocol Version 2.41 Implementation Version 2.75
Unknown sub block detected. Skip...
DevicePlatformInfo: Microsoft.MSM8994.P6211.2.1
Supported protocol versions bitmap is 15
Secure FFU sync version 1 supported.
Secure FFU async version 1 supported.
Secure FFU sync version 2 supported.
Secure FFU async version 2 supported.
CRC header v. 1
CRC align bytes. 4
Get CID of the device...
Get EMMC size of the device...
Emmc size in sectors: 61071360
CID: Samsung, Size 29820 MB
Start charging...
Requested write param 0x43485247 is not supported by this flash app version.
Start charging... DONE. Status = 0
ConnSpeedEcho: Elapsed= 0.243000, EchoSpeed= 27.78, Transferred= 7077918 bytes
Get security Status...
Security Status:
Platform secure boot is enabled.
Secure eFUSE is enabled.
JTAG is disabled.
RDC is missing from the device.
Authentication is not done.
UEFI secure boot is enabled.
Secondary HW key exists.
Get RKH of the device...
RKH of the device is 427D8FD5A7F227820D5B11BF8C6F7670C0A0622CC61BA95AAEE18F7517FC0B77
Get ISSW Version...
ISSW Version: 287
Thu Oct 8 16:22:44 EEST 2015 ;ISSW v0287; rg0; OS; DNE; KCI 1318; ASIC 899x;
Get system memory size...
Size of system mem: 3145728 KB
Read antitheft status...
Reset Protection status: Disabled
Reset Protection version: 1.1
Send backup to RAM req...
Clearing the backup GPT...SKIPPED!
Unable to parse FFU file. File open failed
programming operation failed!
Unable to parse FFU file. File open failed, Error code: 2

Operation took about 1.00 second.

FFU_PARSING_ERROR

THOR2 1.8.2.18 exited with error code 2228224 (0x220000)

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
Ok, I tried it and am getting an error.

Thank you for the help!

FfuReader version is 2015061501
Send FlashApp write parameter: 0x4d544f00
Perform handshake with UEFI...
Flash app: Protocol Version 2.41 Implementation Version 2.75
DevicePlatformInfo: Microsoft.MSM8994.P6211.2.1
Supported protocol versions bitmap is 15
Secure FFU sync version 1 supported.
Secure FFU async version 1 supported.
Secure FFU sync version 2 supported.
Secure FFU async version 2 supported.
CRC header v. 1
CRC align bytes. 4
Get CID of the device...
Get EMMC size of the device...
Emmc size in sectors: 61071360
CID: Samsung, Size 29820 MB
Start charging...
Requested write param 0x43485247 is not supported by this flash app version.
Start charging... DONE. Status = 0
ConnSpeedEcho: Elapsed= 0.243000, EchoSpeed= 27.78, Transferred= 7077918 bytes
Get security Status...
Security Status:
Platform secure boot is enabled.
Secure eFUSE is enabled.
JTAG is disabled.
RDC is missing from the device.
Authentication is not done.
UEFI secure boot is enabled.
Secondary HW key exists.
Get RKH of the device...
RKH of the device is 427D8FD5A7F227820D5B11BF8C6F7670C0A0622CC61BA95AAEE18F7517FC0B77
Get ISSW Version...
ISSW Version: 287
Thu Oct 8 16:22:44 EEST 2015 ;ISSW v0287; rg0; OS; DNE; KCI 1318; ASIC 899x;
Get system memory size...
Size of system mem: 3145728 KB
Read antitheft status...
Reset Protection status: Disabled
Reset Protection version: 1.1
Send backup to RAM req...
Clearing the backup GPT...SKIPPED!
Unable to parse FFU file. File open failed
programming operation failed!
Unable to parse FFU file. File open failed, Error code: 2

Operation took about 1.00 second.

FFU_PARSING_ERROR

THOR2 1.8.2.18 exited with error code 2228224 (0x220000)
Perhaps the FFU file is corrupt. Try to redownload it again. Or wherever it is located thor2 cannot interpret it properly.

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
I tried 5 different roms with the same result. On 2 different laptops with 2 different usb cables.

I originally had the ffu on my NAS but I moved it local to the laptop.

So far getting the same error.

Any ideas?

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
I tried windows phone internals - I tried to unlock and it began the reboot process fine (put the background screen red) after the last reboot (64th) is fails. Now the phone will not go back to normal mode.

I will try more stuff later, but any guidance is appreciated.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
Sometimes the actual storage on those phones goes bad. That could be the issue. If that is the case and the Samsung storage on that Lumia has issues then there is no real solution unless you are good are reflowing the solder or replacing the storage chip entirely.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
I tried windows phone internals - I tried to unlock and it began the reboot process fine (put the background screen red) after the last reboot (64th) is fails. Now the phone will not go back to normal mode.

I will try more stuff later, but any guidance is appreciated.
I am unsure what you mean by normal mode? It won't boot or does something else?

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
When I used windows phone internals i put the phone in flash mode with a red background.

It will not come out of that mode, in WPI you can tell it to go to normal mode and it won't. Pretty sure the phone is fine, it is brand new and worked fine other than the calling out.

Now I need to find out how to get it out of this mode and continue my madness :).

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
When I used windows phone internals i put the phone in flash mode with a red background.

It will not come out of that mode, in WPI you can tell it to go to normal mode and it won't. Pretty sure the phone is fine, it is brand new and worked fine other than the calling out.

Now I need to find out how to get it out of this mode and continue my madness :).
Oh ok. You can emergency flash it if needed but things can go sideways if you unlock it using wpinternals easily, so just be aware of what path you are heading towards. wpinternals can be used outside the gui as a powershell command too fyi. This allows you to do use it similar to thor2.

maximum56

Mar 24, 2022
Thanks for the guidance. I was able to recover the device with Microsofts device recovery tool. Now I have to start testing again...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is how I enabled AT&T US HD Voice/VoLTE on the Lumia 950 XL Dual sim and the factory Unlocked Alcatel IDOL 4s. It should work on the Lumia 950 Dual sim too, but I have not tested this method on it yet.

*Requires full file system access with MTP or SFTP using Interop tools
    *All the files attached were taken from the latest AT&T Lumia 950 FFU (01078.00053.16236.35035 - OS 10.0.10586.318)
    *To reset everything back to original factory settings requires either a re-flash or you can take the files you backed up before hand and replace them back.
    **The one caveat to this is you need to use an AT&T Lumia 950 imei to register to your ICCID (sim card ID) with AT&T customer support to enable the hd voice/ims registration to come online. It might work with a Lumia 830 imei for AT&T too.
    ***There was mention of AT&T possibly whitelisting your device. This would allow IMS provisioning to complete without the need to have AT&T update your IMEI with that of a AT&T branded one. Seems even though you can ask AT&T to do this, it has not actually been proven to work. The only for sure way is to use a AT& branded Lumia 950 IMEI.

Update 7/20/2017: Updated files attached to include the specific ATT-US files from the 950 XL rom RM-1085_15919 (product: 059X7S5). The modem file is slightly different as it provisions with the same bands that come default already on the 950XL, it will not remove band 17 like the 950 ATT modemconfiguration.cab file does. The modem files as far as I know only work on the x50 Lumia models and not OEM models.

Install Interop Tools
    - Here is the link. I used version InteropTools_1.9.437.0_arm_RC3.

Install Swish
    - This sftp client found here (needed for Lumia 950/XL) for explorer sftp support. For the IDOL 4s enable Full file system access via MTP with read write access in Interop Tools under the Unlock options/settings.

Gain access to the file systems using Interop Tools app.
    - In Interop Tools go the SSH--Account Manager and add an account. The account user name should be System.

- Tap the account System so it is highlighted and then tap templates to use.

- Tap enable full file system access with sftp. Then go to the template options and hit the authentication drop down setting it to password.

- Add the password (4 digit pin of your choice).

- Once your phone is on wifi, add an SFTP Connection under Swish. Set the user to system. Set the path to /c/. Once added double click it and login with the pin you set. Explorer will open with your phones files. There is a guide in more detail on sftp file system access made by snickler if you need to see more details about this method.

For the Lumia 950/XL do the below:
    - Copy and back up all files under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\Microsoft and C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\OEM.

- Then Copy and replace the files under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\Microsoft and C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\OEM with the files of the zip file titled ADC.zip

- Copy and backup the file under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\OEM\Public\MMO\Multivariant.

- Then Copy and replace the file under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\OEM\Public\MMO\Multivariant with the contents of the zip file titled modemconfiguration.zip

- From there do a hard reset.

For the Alcatel IDOL 4s do the below using full file system access with MTP:
    - Copy and backup all the files under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\Microsoft and C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\OEM.

- Then Copy and replace the files under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\Microsoft and C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\OEM with the contents of the zip file titled ADC.zip

When the OOBE setup returns after hard reset, you may have a light blue/cyan theme and the display/dpi/font size may be a bit different too. This is due to the packages used from the AT&T 950. Go through the normal setup and let it fully boot to the start screen. Wait for the prompt to tell you to reboot your phone for settings/sim card settings to change/update.

Alternatively you can add the two files in the zip file titled MO_VoLTE_1117.zip to the c:\windows\system32. This will replace the MO_VoLTE_Label_1117.dll and MO_VoLTE_Description_1117.dll details found near the volte toggle under Sim settings with the proper descriptions.

To reset everything back to original factory settings requires either a re-flash or you can take the files you backed up prior and replace them back.

Thanks to the creator of interop tools @gus33000. Without access to that tool/app this and other things like this would not be possible. To @snickler for finding and explaining the sftp file system access in a guide to help others like me use that method.
    This is how I enabled AT&T US HD Voice/VoLTE on the Lumia 950 XL Dual sim and the factory Unlocked Alcatel IDOL 4s. It should work on the Lumia 950 Dual sim too, but I have not tested this method on it yet.

*Requires full file system access with MTP or SFTP using Interop tools
    *All the files attached were taken from the latest AT&T Lumia 950 FFU (01078.00053.16236.35035 - OS 10.0.10586.318)
    *To reset everything back to original factory settings requires either a re-flash or you can take the files you backed up before hand and replace them back.
    **The one caveat to this is you need to use an AT&T Lumia 950 imei to register to your ICCID (sim card ID) with AT&T customer support to enable the hd voice/ims registration to come online. It may work with lets say a Lumia 830 imei for AT&T too. I do not have one anymore to test though.

Update 7/20/2017: Updated files attached to include the specific ATT-US files from the 950 XL rom RM-1085_15919 (product: 059X7S5). The modem file is slightly different as it provisions with the same bands that come default already on the 950XL, it will not remove band 17 like the 950 ATT modemconfiguration.cab file does. The modem files as far as I know only work on the x50 Lumia models and not OEM models.

Install Interop Tools
    - Here is the link. I used version InteropTools_1.9.437.0_arm_RC3.

Install Swish
    - This sftp client found here (needed for Lumia 950/XL) for explorer sftp support. For the IDOL 4s enable Full file system access via MTP with read write access in Interop Tools under the Unlock options/settings.

Gain access to the file systems using Interop Tools app.
    - In Interop Tools go the SSH--Account Manager and add an account. The account user name should be System.

- Tap the account System so it is highlighted and then tap templates to use.

- Tap enable full file system access with sftp. Then go to the template options and hit the authentication drop down setting it to password.

- Add the password (4 digit pin of your choice).

- Once your phone is on wifi, add an SFTP Connection under Swish. Set the user to system. Set the path to /c/. Once added double click it and login with the pin you set. Explorer will open with your phones files. There is a guide in more detail on sftp file system access made by snickler if you need to see more details about this method.

For the Lumia 950/XL do the below:
    - Copy and back up all files under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\Microsoft and C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\OEM.

- Then Copy and replace the files under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\Microsoft and C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\OEM with the files of the zip file titled ADC.zip

- Copy and backup the file under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\OEM\Public\MMO\Multivariant.

- Then Copy and replace the file under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\OEM\Public\MMO\Multivariant with the contents of the zip file titled modemconfiguration.zip

For the Alcatel IDOL 4s do the below using full file system access with MTP:
    - Copy and backup all the files under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\Microsoft and C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\OEM.

- Then Copy and replace the files under C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\Microsoft and C:\Programs\CommonFiles\ADC\OEM with the contents of the zip file titled ADC.zip

When the OOBE setup returns after hard reset, you may have a light blue/cyan theme and the display/dpi/font size may be a bit different too. This is due to the packages used from the AT&T 950. Go through the normal setup and let it fully boot to the start screen. Wait for the prompt to tell you to reboot your phone for settings/sim card settings to change/update.

Alternatively you can add the two files in the zip file titled MO_VoLTE_1117.zip to the c:\windows\system32. This will replace the MO_VoLTE_Label_1117.dll and MO_VoLTE_Description_1117.dll details found near the volte toggle under Sim settings with the proper descriptions.

To reset everything back to original factory settings requires either a re-flash or you can take the files you backed up prior and replace them back.

Thanks to the creator of interop tools @gus33000. Without access to that tool/app this and other things like this would not be possible. To @snickler for finding and explaining the sftp file system access in a guide to help others like me use that method.
    It worked on my Lumia 950 XL
    Look on LumiaFirmware.com for an FFU from your provider (in my case the Lumia 950) mount it with ImgMount and extract the files mentioned above.
    for me no reset was necessary, as soon as I pasted the files in the ADC folder I got a message that "SIM settings have been changed please restart" and IMS registration was on
    That's my findings so far
    I want to enable it for "Jio" a carrier in INDIA that provides VoLTE services but only android and ios users are able to use it and they donot sell a specific lumia with VoLTE services or there carrier name on it.
    *I am using L950XL DS Indian Variant.
    *Is this possible??? If yes can you guide me how to edit configuration files to do this.
    I was mainly referring to US carriers. You would need to get a hold of a Windows 10 Mobile handset that supports VoLTE on Jio and build new nvi file entries for the Lumia. I don't know of a model that would support Jio VoLTE except maybe the IDOL 4s Pro model that support European Countries. Once you find a Windows 10 Mobile phone that supports VoLTE on that carrier you a starting point.
    @spe317
    Since you are reflashing anyway...once you verify all the files are in place. Do full_nvi_update not factory_reset.

thor2.exe -mode uefiflash -ffufile <ffufile_RM-xxxx.ffu> -do_full_nvi_update -skip_flash -reboot

This leaves the modem alone as a single sim, and only reintializes the NVI settings with an update from the nvi files.
    If still having an issue you can try a hard reset too. I am not certain why your sim would be doing this...Are you using the Lumia 950 modemconfiguraton.cab file from my first post or are you using the 950 XL files I attached (File Type: zip 950XL_RM-1085_15919_ATT-US_files.zip)
    I had that happen once to an AT&T sim. Except it was not as obvious as yours...my issue was that it would just not lock LTE bands. Took me a week to realize it was due to a bad sim. Glad you caught it quick.

Just confirmed with ATT and received an IMS lock. Provisioned my phone unbranded 950xl DS. Thanks!