[GUIDE] Enable AWS on Samsung Galaxy IV AT&T i337 & Canadian i337M

Search This thread

kateslashrocky

Jan 16, 2016
Have just successfully upgraded 2 AWS enabled Galaxies S4 I337M to Android 4.4.2 (Modem NC1) from 4.2.2 (Modem MG1) through simply clicking "Upgrade Firmware" button in Samsung KIES software on Mac! Both SGS4 were rooted and unlocked from Rogers. AWS was enabled on original 4.2.2 and now works perfectly on both devices(WIND Mobile connected). All programs work well and no information is lost.

Goodluck guys! It works 100%! :)

The thread is really convoluted, what exact process did you use?

salmanaslam

Jul 5, 2007
Canada
Rogers Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M), Android version 5.0.1 to use with WIND Mobile (No firmware downgrading required).
Steps to make it work on AWS bands:
Purchased SIM unlock code for CDN$ 15.00 by providing IMEI.
Phone unlocked by entering SIM unlock code.
How to make Windows recognize the USB - RNDIS + DM + MODEM port and install proper drivers:
Dial *#0808#
Choose RNDIS + DM + MODEM and click Reboot button. Windows will not recognize the USB port.
Dial *#9090#
Choose [2]DM/DUM over HSIC[] (Selection will have (*) at end of line). Still Windows will not recognize the USB port.
Now shut down phone and boot phone in Recovery Mode (Volume Up + Home + Power button). Once menu options appear select "Enable cp logging" (second last option).
Hook the USB cable. Windows will recognize the phone and USB port.
Make sure no SIM card is in phone. As I find that if SIM card is present phone USB port keep connecting and disconnecting to Windows.
Follow the process in the beginning of this tread to install AWS patch.
At 100% progress phone will reboot.
Turn off the phone. Put WIND Mobile AWS band SIM. Turn on phone and it will connect to WIND Mobile network.

Last edited:

Gonemad

Feb 11, 2014
Prince Edward Island
Solved: Updated modem

I have my s4 at 4.4.2 and have tried the method in the first post by the OP. It worked for me but the problem I have is that I lose service whenever the phone goes to sleep and have to through the mobile network thing and choose my network again through that menu. Anyone have an idea what I have going on here?

Last edited:

Serithis

Feb 4, 2016
Need help, S4 SGH-i337 to AWS

I purchased a brand-new out of the box, Unlocked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337 from eBay after reading and knowing that it can work with the AWS frequency, I could have grabbed a T-Mobile but was not aware of the differences, which I'm now discovering as I dig up out-dated threads and methods to get this ridiculous thing to function with Wind Mobile in Canada on the AWS frequency. Android version 4.2.2

I have the US Model, but I live in Canada

I encountered an Issue where I believe I have accidentally reversed its "unlocked" state, using the method where you go through the menu, hit back 3 times, type in the select key, 1, Q and 0000 selecting a couple options that then reboots the phone. Now every time I start up the phone it prompts me for a damn SIM PIN which when asked about to WIND they said there's no such thing as purchasing a SIM PIN to unlock it...

To get the AWS working specifically, I heard that all you had to do was select a network and I can't recall where I encountered this phone command and tested it, but nothing has worked either way so far.

I'm at the point now that I don't even know if I want to keep tampering with the phone and just sell it for a different model, but now I'm facing the issue that I might have locked it back, with the SIM popping up.. I found one PIN generator and Lo and behold, it requires me to do either ridiculous surveys and hand out my personal info, sign ups or purchase 50 dollar gift cards.

Help is appreciated.. I've gone through all the convoluted information, and I'm at a complete loss and totally pissed off and frustrated

Last edited:

kateslashrocky

Jan 16, 2016
Canada
Rogers Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M), Android version 5.0.1 to use with WIND Mobile (No firmware downgrading required).
How to make Windows recognize the USB - RNDIS + DM + MODEM port and install proper drivers:
Dial *#0808#
Choose RNDIS + DM + MODEM and click Reboot button. Windows will not recognize the USB port.
Dial *#9090#
Choose [2]DM/DUM over HSIC[] (Selection will have (*) at end of line). Still Windows will not recognize the USB port.
Now shut down phone and boot phone in Recovery Mode (Volume Up + Home + Power button). Once menu options appear select "Enable cp logging" (second last option).
Make sure no SIM card is in phone. As I find that if SIM card is present phone USB port keep connecting and disconnecting to Windows.
Turn off the phone. Put WIND Mobile AWS band SIM. Turn on phone and it will connect to WIND Mobile network.

Update: to install the drivers I needed to keep the phone in the original USB settings. I also downgraded to 4.4.4 using heimdall. Cp logging never showed in recovery mode for me, but that didn't matter in the end :)

lucasman22

Feb 20, 2016
Alright, so right now I am running 5.0.1, after seeing that people have had success with lollipop. I'm running a Telus S4, and i followed the procedure exactly, and successfully flashed my phone, but the problem is when I scan for networks, I still see only Telus, Bell, and EXT. Is there some sort of option i need to enable to make it visible? i ran regionlock away on my phone AFTER i ran the AWS flash, and then WIND appeared as an option, but i thought regionlock away didn't work correctly, as it crashed in the middle of doing its thing, so i ran it again. after running it again the WIND network disapeared again. I tried restoring my modem and then doing the whole processes over again, but WIND is still invisible. I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm just confused, as I've seen nobody in this thread with the same problem as me. Thanks in advance

aneeqnaqvi

Dec 26, 2014
Islamabad
This guide will help you enable AWS on AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 or Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 i337M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Files Have been Included In The Attachment ( See Below )

Instructions

1. Run & Install QPST Setup build 323 on your windows computer [File attached below]

2. [ With Latest Android Updates on S4, you don't need this step(2) which requires an application to be installed which is attached below named as phoneutil.apk, skip this step, How to know if you don't need, when Dial *#0808# on your dial pad if it shows a prompt poped up you don't need this step ]
Copy phoneutil.apk (attached to this post) to your phone & Install it on your phone -> go to myfiles (on your phone), browse and install it.

3. Disconnect your phone from computer & dial:
For stock android versions:
Dial *#7284# on your phone dialer and hit “Qualcomm USB settings” button
For Updated Android Versions
*#0808# for new updated android S4

4. Check “RNDIS + DM + MODEM” then connect to computer again. (Some people got it working with "DM + MODEM + ADB")
usb_setting.jpg

5.Your windows will install driver ( Samsung Kies if is installed, it will install drivers for your device )

6. Next, open up Device Manager on your computer and find “Samsung Mobile USB Serial Port” under Ports.
Make a note of the COM number (usually the second one)
device_manager.png

7. Start QPST Confirguration application

8. Press Add New port, Uncheck “Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only”, choose the COM port with the number you noted earlier then hit “OK”.
addnewport.png

adnepo.png

10. Choose “Start Clients” and choose “SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD”.

11. Choose the “Backup” tab, hit “Browse” for Port and choose your COM number, hit “Browse” for QCN File and make a new file name for the QCN file you will be making a backup of. We will be backing up the NV Memory on your phone just in case you mess up something. Then hit Start.
backup.png

12. Hit the “Restore” tab, set Port to your COM number. Next, choose the QCN File as “337_AWS.qcn”. (I have attached below)
Then hit “Start” button. If you get a warning just hit “OK”.
restore.png

13. Once that’s done restoring, your phone will reboot. Just give it about a minute as it will reboot. Once rebooted, you can insert your T-Mobile/Wind/Mobilicity SIM card and start enjoying
networks.png

Tested 100% Works with all AWS network flawlessly.

FAQ

Will this void my warranty?
No.
What to do if i get this error ? "The model number in the QCN file and the phone do not match. Do you still want to restore the phone with this file?"
It is safe to continue
Will it work with other networks Rogers, Bell, Fido ?
Yes.
Phone has to be sim unlocked for this patch to work?
Yes, phone must be sim unlocked
Will it work with Custom ROMs?
Many custom ROMs work, some ROMs don't work because USB Qualcomm Setting doesnt pop up.
Is it permanent?
When you hard reset your phone(Some custom roms require hard resetting), this needs to be patched again following this guide from beginning other than that, it stays patched even if you restart it.

You are responsible on following the instructions carefully, instructions are provided assuming user has adequate knowledge to carry out basic operations. For those who know, this is done exactly the same way the NOTE 2 was done.

Special Thanks: to FastGsm.com for the phoneutil.apk
I would also like to thank the XDA Team and all those members who'd come up with this idea on the note 2 & before, indeed it wouldn't have been possible without them, originally by sjravi and other respected members

Now Buy me a coffee ;) Donate
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R49VLCBR45322

Attachment:
QPST Software: Download
All Other Files: Download

Temporary AWS Patch Guide for Samsung S3 i747 Coming Soon Using Smart Apps Makes It Convenient to patch again on ever restart
chen sheng - thanks for donation
Saad Al Haddawi - thanks for donation
Pierluigi Zamparella - thanks!
and many others thank you for your donations.

I receive the error "error received invalid command from phone" at 5% what should I do??? Help me please, I have galaxy s4 sgh i337 (at&t) unlocked with Lollipop 5.0.1.

KhaleesiK

Mar 30, 2016
Canada
Dial *#0808#
Dial *#9090#

These instructions work very well to get connection to QPST with Lollipop and no root - Thank you very much salmanaslam! However it did not autoconnect to Wind. Initially it did not even seen network, then finally did but could not register. I redid restore of .qcn with one step not mentioned in this long thread, nor anywhere that I have seen - I selected box on restore page "Allow phone/file ESN mismatch" (not shown as selected in directions by OP). Still did not autoconnect when restarted with sim card but did find Wind in "search for networks" and this time allowed me to register. I have restarted phone and now does autoconnect. Success!!

pwndave

Jan 27, 2012
These instructions work very well to get connection to QPST with Lollipop and no root - Thank you very much salmanaslam! However it did not autoconnect to Wind. Initially it did not even seen network, then finally did but could not register. I redid restore of .qcn with one step not mentioned in this long thread, nor anywhere that I have seen - I selected box on restore page "Allow phone/file ESN mismatch" (not shown as selected in directions by OP). Still did not autoconnect when restarted with sim card but did find Wind in "search for networks" and this time allowed me to register. I have restarted phone and now does autoconnect. Success!!

With regards to the following "Initially it did not even seen network, then finally did"
Did you mean that, without any further actions, the network eventually appeared? As in, you had to wait a long time? Was the signal low?

I am trying to enable AWS in order to consider switching to Wind.

I redid the restore with "Allow phone/file ESN mismatch" of the QCN file, however, I don't even see the network. I could when I did it with the 4.4.2 modem.

Update: After restarting the device a couple times, the network did appear, and I've been using it successfully for a couple weeks now.

Last edited:

Slayer86

Apr 23, 2011

You legend, ticking that box worked for me. Rogers S4 on 5.0.1. Thanks!

pwndave

Jan 27, 2012
I just want to add that I successfully performed this mod on my phone.
I have an SGH-i337m which was originally from Koodo. I performed this mod so that I could use this phone on the Wind Mobile network in Ottawa, ON.

Currently I'm using this with JDCTeam's Optimized CM 13.x Roms.

Nicoleplus 5

Apr 17, 2016
London
What does it mean if u can't find the " Samsung Mobile USB serial port " I'm trying to help out a friend please help !!!!!
This guide will help you enable AWS on AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 or Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 i337M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions

1. Run & Install QPST Setup build 323 on your windows computer [File attached below]

2. [ With Latest Android Updates on S4, you don't need this step(2) which requires an application to be installed which is attached below named as phoneutil.apk, skip this step, How to know if you don't need, when Dial *#0808# on your dial pad if it shows a prompt poped up you don't need this step ]
Copy phoneutil.apk (attached to this post) to your phone & Install it on your phone -> go to myfiles (on your phone), browse and install it.

4. Check “RNDIS + DM + MODEM” then connect to computer again. (Some people got it working with "DM + MODEM + ADB")
usb_setting.jpg

5.Your windows will install driver ( Samsung Kies if is installed, it will install drivers for your device )

6. Next, open up Device Manager on your computer and find “Samsung Mobile USB Serial Port” under Ports.
device_manager.png

8. Press Add New port, Uncheck “Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only”, choose the COM port with the number you noted earlier then hit “OK”.
addnewport.png

adnepo.png

11. Choose the “Backup” tab, hit “Browse” for Port and choose your COM number, hit “Browse” for QCN File and make a new file name for the QCN file you will be making a backup of. We will be backing up the NV Memory on your phone just in case you mess up something. Then hit Start.
backup.png

12. Hit the “Restore” tab, set Port to your COM number. Next, choose the QCN File as “337_AWS.qcn”. (I have attached below)
restore.png

13. Once that’s done restoring, your phone will reboot. Just give it about a minute as it will reboot. Once rebooted, you can insert your T-Mobile/Wind/Mobilicity SIM card and start enjoying
networks.png

FAQ

No.
What to do if i get this error ? "The model number in the QCN file and the phone do not match. Do you still want to restore the phone with this file?"
It is safe to continue
Yes.
Many custom ROMs work, some ROMs don't work because USB Qualcomm Setting doesnt pop up.
Is it permanent?
When you hard reset your phone(Some custom roms require hard resetting), this needs to be patched again following this guide from beginning other than that, it stays patched even if you restart it.

You are responsible on following the instructions carefully, instructions are provided assuming user has adequate knowledge to carry out basic operations. For those who know, this is done exactly the same way the NOTE 2 was done.

I would also like to thank the XDA Team and all those members who'd come up with this idea on the note 2 & before, indeed it wouldn't have been possible without them, originally by sjravi and other respected members

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R49VLCBR45322

Attachment:

Temporary AWS Patch Guide for Samsung S3 i747 Coming Soon Using Smart Apps Makes It Convenient to patch again on ever restart

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA-Developers mobile app

clwebb

Jun 1, 2016
DOES NOT WORK WITH 5.1....I tried and tried and tried and tried until I smashed my phone into pieces

Last edited:

clwebb

Jun 1, 2016
Canada
Dial *#0808#
Dial *#9090#

I tried this, over and over and over, just will not work! The Wind network shows up but it will not register on network...I am on S4 I337M Rogers Canada 5.0.1

Someone pleaseeee help, I know this works and I know its probably one simple setting I have did or or not did...

Last edited:
Reactions: batman606

MichelNijhuis

Feb 12, 2011
Rockford
invalid imei - No way to get in the “Qualcomm USB settings”

Hi guys,

I have a S4 and S4 mini overseas and tried with T-mobile Sim card to hit “Qualcomm USB settings” buttons.
But when I Dial *#7284# or *#8080# on both phones, I am receiving invalid imei.
I have spent literally days on this issue. With Odin upload back to different stock versions 4.2 - 4.3 and 5.1,

Call Samsung helpdesk in USA and overseas plus T-mobile.
No one has a solution. :cyclops:
Even the solution here to register the phone on the network manually doesn't work!

My goal is to make the LTE and UMTS 100% working on the T-mobile network frequency.
Have now only 50% network coverage.

Is there anyone who can tell me how to fix this issue. Because to take out the sim card is no go either.
All support would be appreciated before I splash the phone to the wall.

JaredTamana

Feb 2, 2015
Google Nexus 4
LG Nexus 5X
Anyone got this working on OS X?

On a different note, I'm attempting to do this on CM13, which doesn't let you access Qcom USB settings via dialer. I DID however find this on Cyanogen's forums: https://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/120380-how-can-i-connect-cm13-to-qpst/#comment-595072

Now, if you can ignore the gibberish way this person speaks, you can realize that this is possible from the root terminal right on the device. This means that potentially any ROM could get the setting changed without the bull menu. Only one problem: I'm not able to figure out what correlates to RNDIS + DM + MODEM in terminal. Maybe someone could take a quick scroll through the file I've attached and led me a hand? Because that would be wonderful.

Attachments

• init.qcom.usb.txt
    37.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

skykros

Aug 12, 2016
stops at 5% on restore with 337_AWS.qcn

Errors : received invalid command from phone

please let me know if anyone can help move past this point

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instructions

usb_setting.jpg

device_manager.png

addnewport.png

adnepo.png

backup.png

restore.png

networks.png

FAQ

No.
    It is safe to continue
    Yes.
    Is it permanent?

Attachment:

Rated 5 stars!

Thx for posting the QCN file, I was about to make a backup from my own M919 until I saw this!

Video tutorial for anyone having trouble here:
    I made a flashable zip for unlock aws networks for att variant Modem mdl

Thanks to erolz for the modem and toothmkr57 for the idea :)

You can test it and give feedback please

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=42589312

[RADIO]I337/I337m [CAN][USA]MEX]15/06/2013
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh ok. Can I install that .qcn modem file using Odin?
    I think only with QPST

If you can't get QPST to detect phone (0) then try this:

dial *#0808#, change to RNDIS, if that doesn't work try RMNET, if it still doesn't work dial *#9090# and hit 2 for HSIC. Fire up QPST, restore 337_aws.qcn file (backup yours first), after phone reboots go to mobile network and pick access point names, make sure dot beside your provider, go to network operators and choose "automatically select preferred network". Boom, done.

-Jamie M.