[GUIDE] Enable AWS on Samsung Galaxy IV AT&T i337 & Canadian i337M

Search This thread

kwalsh24

May 1, 2011
Okay so managed to get the phone working. Next question... Is there a way to get the phone to automatically switch from home to away networks without manually having to do it? As right now when the home network signal drops out the phone just has no service. It doesn't go to any of the away networks.... Would a modified tmobile Rom help with this or an apk? Or is it just a issue she will have to deal with ?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

wasim74

Jul 4, 2014
So you mean you followed my instructions and you check on that square □✔ and your phone right now it does works with wind mobile after you checked that square ! but sometimes the signal it does drops to completely no service ? Let me know

Corpus_X

Dec 4, 2016
Received an invalid command from the phone only 5% progress.

I have followed the steps to the letter repeatedly.
I also enabled CP logging to get the phone and PC to communicate.
I had to select DM+Modem+ABD to get an open port.
Once I get to the point to restore 337_AWS file the QPST Config program only gets to the 5% mark with an error stating "Memory Restore Failed!" "Received an invalid command from the phone"

Version 5.0.1
Goldeneye 53
Baseband I337UCUGOC3

I would love some constructive input on completing the modem restore.
Thank you kindly,
Corpus X

***EDIT***
Found this post by skykros - will try it.

So to pass the 5% fail error, I tested all versions of firmware, it seems linked to OK2 only. Here is the method I used, I hope it helps all of the others who have had this issue.
I knew nothing about all of this tech and phones until these past few days of reading sooo much to get all working on WIND, but now its paid off!

Thank you to rampar23 who let me know flashing the previous modem as the first bread crumb to this all coming together!

Got All working, went back to
- I337UCUFNB1_4.4_Stock_Odin_tar
then upgraded
- NJ4_update_from_NB1.zip
- OC3_update_from_NJ4.zip
- OC4_update_from_OC3.zip

After that used odin to flash the modem from
- I337UCUAMDL - Modem

then used the
- 337_AWS.qcn

And Finally all is working 100% no issues with everything working 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: cbtoronto

cbtoronto

Dec 16, 2016
Toronto
Ok... I followed your steps and it worked prrrrrrfectly.

Thanks guys after a massive amount of time reading all over the web on how to do this I got to say thanks
don't forget to go back to *#0808# and reset to DM+MODEM+ADB AND REBOOT

BIG FAN

vodkacranberry

Dec 29, 2016
s4 active i537

Will this work on the i537. Im trying to go with wind.
Their website says the imei is compatible.
But when I put sim in it doesnt find any network.
Im in canada. The phone is fully unlocked.
Any help appreciated

Feb 2, 2017
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with a Canadian virgin mobile I337M

I've never done any phone hacking at all....so my question is if I follow the guide and it gets that 5% error
will my phone still be usable cause its my only phone.

Because it seems from reading the posts that if you get the 5% error you have to flash it back to kitkat before
trying the guide on page 1 ...... which I need to find out how to do. But I need to know the first question before I even try the guide.....cause dont wanna brick my phone thanks in advance.

catsruul

Jun 2, 2016
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with a Canadian virgin mobile I337M

I've never done any phone hacking at all....so my question is if I follow the guide and it gets that 5% error
will my phone still be usable cause its my only phone.

Because it seems from reading the posts that if you get the 5% error you have to flash it back to kitkat before
trying the guide on page 1 ...... which I need to find out how to do. But I need to know the first question before I even try the guide.....cause dont wanna brick my phone thanks in advance.

You need to flash the mf3/mdl baseband, and enable CP logging in recovery. The 5% error shouldn't harm your phone, at least in my case (I did the exact same thing- just cancelled the flash and pulled the phone).

christopherrrg

Sep 15, 2011
Hamilton
Canada
Rogers Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M), Android version 5.0.1 to use with WIND Mobile (No firmware downgrading required).
Steps to make it work on AWS bands:
Purchased SIM unlock code for CDN$ 15.00 by providing IMEI.
Phone unlocked by entering SIM unlock code.
How to make Windows recognize the USB - RNDIS + DM + MODEM port and install proper drivers:
Dial *#0808#
Choose RNDIS + DM + MODEM and click Reboot button. Windows will not recognize the USB port.
Dial *#9090#
Choose [2]DM/DUM over HSIC[] (Selection will have (*) at end of line). Still Windows will not recognize the USB port.
Now shut down phone and boot phone in Recovery Mode (Volume Up + Home + Power button). Once menu options appear select "Enable cp logging" (second last option).
Hook the USB cable. Windows will recognize the phone and USB port.
Make sure no SIM card is in phone. As I find that if SIM card is present phone USB port keep connecting and disconnecting to Windows.
Follow the process in the beginning of this tread to install AWS patch.
At 100% progress phone will reboot.
Turn off the phone. Put WIND Mobile AWS band SIM. Turn on phone and it will connect to WIND Mobile network.

Thank you sir this seemed to be the trick! Thank you

LedHendrix

Mar 25, 2011
I have a telus galaxy s4 that is running 4.2.2. I unlocked it using "Regionlock Away". I know it works because I tried using my brothers Rogers sim and it worked. I follwed the guide to unlock AWS bands, but it did not work. When I flash the AWS file with QPST, it all went well. No error messages. It rebooted my phone but I still can't pick up a Wind Mobile signal. Does anyone know where I went wrong? Would leaving the Wind sim card in while flashing caused this?

mattgyver

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee - Cookie Monster
Staff member
So, I take it this won't work if I'm running Lineage? I have an S4 running LineageOS 14.1 (7.1.2). I can't see any Qualcomm settings pop up. *#0808# shows "USSD Code Running" and I see that I have a COM3 Samsung USB Modem listing on my Windows 10 pc. It shows as COM3. However, QSPT says "no phone connected" when I try to backup NV settings.

christopherrrg

Sep 15, 2011
Hamilton
So, I take it this won't work if I'm running Lineage? I have an S4 running LineageOS 14.1 (7.1.2). I can't see any Qualcomm settings pop up. *#0808# shows "USSD Code Running" and I see that I have a COM3 Samsung USB Modem listing on my Windows 10 pc. It shows as COM3. However, QSPT says "no phone connected" when I try to backup NV settings.

Correct. Use a stock image and then just revert to a backup of your current ROM.

Jesse1jv

Dec 24, 2018
Hi their, I am trying to do this so that my galaxy s4 will work with freedom mobile internet, calls and texts.
But I am having a crazy time trying to figure out why my s4 is not showing up as ap mode and under RNDIS+DM+MODEM in device manager on my windows 7 or 10 to view that COM number as shown in your post above, I have Samsung kies installed and in your article it says it will automatically update drivers so that option would be available I assume, but nothing automatically updates and the kies only way to read the device is when in MTP MODE which then says its installing drivers but nothing to do with the connection I need to procced the steps further in your forum here. Ughhhh can someone please help me out here as soon as possible I'd really appreciate it, thanks, Jesse.

christopherrrg

Sep 15, 2011
Hamilton
Hi their, I am trying to do this so that my galaxy s4 will work with freedom mobile internet, calls and texts.
But I am having a crazy time trying to figure out why my s4 is not showing up as ap mode and under RNDIS+DM+MODEM in device manager on my windows 7 or 10 to view that COM number as shown in your post above, I have Samsung kies installed and in your article it says it will automatically update drivers so that option would be available I assume, but nothing automatically updates and the kies only way to read the device is when in MTP MODE which then says its installing drivers but nothing to do with the connection I need to procced the steps further in your forum here. Ughhhh can someone please help me out here as soon as possible I'd really appreciate it, thanks, Jesse.

Search for Samsung mobile usb drivers and install while device is NOT connected. Then connect device and it should work.

If your S4 doesn't say RNDIS+DM+MODEM then you need an earlier firmware. (Samsung patched this in later firmwares)

It's been a while since I've done this as I'm on LG V30 but hopefully this helps you. :)

Reactions: Jesse1jv

Jesse1jv

Dec 24, 2018
Hi Chris, yup my device does have that option from dialing *#0808# I am running 5.0.1 software so it should work according to either or in the post, I enabled cp logging from boot menu on stock so windows will automatically search for driver updates but they always say no driver found.
So hopefully this Samsung usb drivers download works okay as u recommended, I really don't wanna root and flash firmware as I spend many days customizing this phone for a buyer that has already paid me but his phone isn't reading his (freedom mobile) Sim so it's a bit frustrating, but thanks for the info hopefully it works.

futiless

Apr 4, 2012
Surrey
Search for Samsung mobile usb drivers and install while device is NOT connected. Then connect device and it should work.

If your S4 doesn't say RNDIS+DM+MODEM then you need an earlier firmware. (Samsung patched this in later firmwares)

It's been a while since I've done this as I'm on LG V30 but hopefully this helps you. :)

Can you help me I need to get out CHATr Modem / bootloader.. Im on the cheap and need my AWS back, somehow lost it during a flash now I am pitting, stocking, flashing 1000 recoveries and roms and no data connection.. : (

dieyoungliveold

Sep 8, 2019
no need to downgrade

Ok what should have been a 10min tutorial took almost 3-4 hrs because the main OP post is outdated. I managed to get it working on Lollypop (v 5.0.1) after scourging 100s of pages here. This is for the updated phones (automatic software update). Biggest issue was phone was not being recognized whatsoever. Why using a S4 in 2019, well why the heck not

- must enable cp logging from recovery. Turn off phone. Hold Power+volume up+home button at the same time. When you see a blue text on top with Samsung logo on screen letgo of the power button but keep holding the other 2 till you get into recovery. Scroll down and enable cp logging
- also did *#9090# into option 2 with * around it. reboots automatically
- installed Samsung kies, not sure if this is necessary
- the phoneutil.apk did not install. would not in any way, not sure if this is needed but I found a newer version of the app called Phone Utilities (version 2 dot smth) through google. That one installed nicely

Now follow the OP post and you should be good to go. Btw the COM are shown under Ports in device manager not with USBs on the bottom so take note of that. For me the first COM worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrocketdog

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
Ok what should have been a 10min tutorial took almost 3-4 hrs because the main OP post is outdated. I managed to get it working on Lollypop (v 5.0.1) after scourging 100s of pages here. This is for the updated phones (automatic software update). Biggest issue was phone was not being recognized whatsoever. Why using a S4 in 2019, well why the heck not

- must enable cp logging from recovery. Turn off phone. Hold Power+volume up+home button at the same time. When you see a blue text on top with Samsung logo on screen letgo of the power button but keep holding the other 2 till you get into recovery. Scroll down and enable cp logging
- the phoneutil.apk did not install. would not in any way, not sure if this is needed but I found a newer version of the app called Phone Utilities (version 2 dot smth) through google. That one installed nicely

Now follow the OP post and you should be good to go. Btw the COM are shown under Ports in device manager not with USBs on the bottom so take note of that. For me the first COM worked.
wow! thanks for sharing all your searching and research. really helpful.:good:

fireheadca

Jul 4, 2020

Confirmed works! :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide will help you enable AWS on AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 or Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 i337M
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All Files Have been Included In The Attachment ( See Below )

Instructions

1. Run & Install QPST Setup build 323 on your windows computer [File attached below]

2. [ With Latest Android Updates on S4, you don't need this step(2) which requires an application to be installed which is attached below named as phoneutil.apk, skip this step, How to know if you don't need, when Dial *#0808# on your dial pad if it shows a prompt poped up you don't need this step ]
    Copy phoneutil.apk (attached to this post) to your phone & Install it on your phone -> go to myfiles (on your phone), browse and install it.

3. Disconnect your phone from computer & dial:
    For stock android versions:
    Dial *#7284# on your phone dialer and hit “Qualcomm USB settings” button
    For Updated Android Versions
    *#0808# for new updated android S4

4. Check “RNDIS + DM + MODEM” then connect to computer again. (Some people got it working with "DM + MODEM + ADB")
    usb_setting.jpg

5.Your windows will install driver ( Samsung Kies if is installed, it will install drivers for your device )

6. Next, open up Device Manager on your computer and find “Samsung Mobile USB Serial Port” under Ports.
    Make a note of the COM number (usually the second one)
    device_manager.png

7. Start QPST Confirguration application

8. Press Add New port, Uncheck “Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only”, choose the COM port with the number you noted earlier then hit “OK”.
    addnewport.png

adnepo.png

10. Choose “Start Clients” and choose “SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD”.

11. Choose the “Backup” tab, hit “Browse” for Port and choose your COM number, hit “Browse” for QCN File and make a new file name for the QCN file you will be making a backup of. We will be backing up the NV Memory on your phone just in case you mess up something. Then hit Start.
    backup.png

12. Hit the “Restore” tab, set Port to your COM number. Next, choose the QCN File as “337_AWS.qcn”. (I have attached below)
    Then hit “Start” button. If you get a warning just hit “OK”.
    restore.png

13. Once that’s done restoring, your phone will reboot. Just give it about a minute as it will reboot. Once rebooted, you can insert your T-Mobile/Wind/Mobilicity SIM card and start enjoying
    networks.png

Tested 100% Works with all AWS network flawlessly.

FAQ

Will this void my warranty?
    No.
    What to do if i get this error ? "The model number in the QCN file and the phone do not match. Do you still want to restore the phone with this file?"
    It is safe to continue
    Will it work with other networks Rogers, Bell, Fido ?
    Yes.
    Phone has to be sim unlocked for this patch to work?
    Yes, phone must be sim unlocked
    Will it work with Custom ROMs?
    Many custom ROMs work, some ROMs don't work because USB Qualcomm Setting doesnt pop up.
    Is it permanent?
    When you hard reset your phone(Some custom roms require hard resetting), this needs to be patched again following this guide from beginning other than that, it stays patched even if you restart it.

You are responsible on following the instructions carefully, instructions are provided assuming user has adequate knowledge to carry out basic operations. For those who know, this is done exactly the same way the NOTE 2 was done.

Special Thanks: to FastGsm.com for the phoneutil.apk
    I would also like to thank the XDA Team and all those members who'd come up with this idea on the note 2 & before, indeed it wouldn't have been possible without them, originally by sjravi and other respected members

Now Buy me a coffee ;) Donate
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R49VLCBR45322

Attachment:
    QPST Software: Download
    All Other Files: Download

Temporary AWS Patch Guide for Samsung S3 i747 Coming Soon Using Smart Apps Makes It Convenient to patch again on ever restart
    chen sheng - thanks for donation
    Saad Al Haddawi - thanks for donation
    Pierluigi Zamparella - thanks!
    and many others thank you for your donations.
    Rated 5 stars!

Thx for posting the QCN file, I was about to make a backup from my own M919 until I saw this!

Video tutorial for anyone having trouble here:
    I made a flashable zip for unlock aws networks for att variant Modem mdl

Thanks to erolz for the modem and toothmkr57 for the idea :)

You can test it and give feedback please

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=42589312

[RADIO]I337/I337m [CAN][USA]MEX]15/06/2013
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh ok. Can I install that .qcn modem file using Odin?
    I think only with QPST

If you can't get QPST to detect phone (0) then try this:

dial *#0808#, change to RNDIS, if that doesn't work try RMNET, if it still doesn't work dial *#9090# and hit 2 for HSIC. Fire up QPST, restore 337_aws.qcn file (backup yours first), after phone reboots go to mobile network and pick access point names, make sure dot beside your provider, go to network operators and choose "automatically select preferred network". Boom, done.

-Jamie M.