[GUIDE] Enable AWS on Samsung Galaxy IV AT&T i337 & Canadian i337M

Search This thread

zaryan

Oct 14, 2012
Toronto
This guide will help you enable AWS on AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 or Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 i337M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Files Have been Included In The Attachment ( See Below )

Instructions

1. Run & Install QPST Setup build 323 on your windows computer [File attached below]

2. [ With Latest Android Updates on S4, you don't need this step(2) which requires an application to be installed which is attached below named as phoneutil.apk, skip this step, How to know if you don't need, when Dial *#0808# on your dial pad if it shows a prompt poped up you don't need this step ]
Copy phoneutil.apk (attached to this post) to your phone & Install it on your phone -> go to myfiles (on your phone), browse and install it.

3. Disconnect your phone from computer & dial:
For stock android versions:
Dial *#7284# on your phone dialer and hit “Qualcomm USB settings” button
For Updated Android Versions
*#0808# for new updated android S4

4. Check “RNDIS + DM + MODEM” then connect to computer again. (Some people got it working with "DM + MODEM + ADB")
usb_setting.jpg

5.Your windows will install driver ( Samsung Kies if is installed, it will install drivers for your device )

6. Next, open up Device Manager on your computer and find “Samsung Mobile USB Serial Port” under Ports.
Make a note of the COM number (usually the second one)
device_manager.png

7. Start QPST Confirguration application

8. Press Add New port, Uncheck “Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only”, choose the COM port with the number you noted earlier then hit “OK”.
addnewport.png

adnepo.png

10. Choose “Start Clients” and choose “SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD”.

11. Choose the “Backup” tab, hit “Browse” for Port and choose your COM number, hit “Browse” for QCN File and make a new file name for the QCN file you will be making a backup of. We will be backing up the NV Memory on your phone just in case you mess up something. Then hit Start.
backup.png

12. Hit the “Restore” tab, set Port to your COM number. Next, choose the QCN File as “337_AWS.qcn”. (I have attached below)
Then hit “Start” button. If you get a warning just hit “OK”.
restore.png

13. Once that’s done restoring, your phone will reboot. Just give it about a minute as it will reboot. Once rebooted, you can insert your T-Mobile/Wind/Mobilicity SIM card and start enjoying
networks.png

Tested 100% Works with all AWS network flawlessly.

FAQ

Will this void my warranty?
No.
What to do if i get this error ? "The model number in the QCN file and the phone do not match. Do you still want to restore the phone with this file?"
It is safe to continue
Will it work with other networks Rogers, Bell, Fido ?
Yes.
Phone has to be sim unlocked for this patch to work?
Yes, phone must be sim unlocked
Will it work with Custom ROMs?
Many custom ROMs work, some ROMs don't work because USB Qualcomm Setting doesnt pop up.
Is it permanent?
When you hard reset your phone(Some custom roms require hard resetting), this needs to be patched again following this guide from beginning other than that, it stays patched even if you restart it.

You are responsible on following the instructions carefully, instructions are provided assuming user has adequate knowledge to carry out basic operations. For those who know, this is done exactly the same way the NOTE 2 was done.

Special Thanks: to FastGsm.com for the phoneutil.apk
I would also like to thank the XDA Team and all those members who'd come up with this idea on the note 2 & before, indeed it wouldn't have been possible without them, originally by sjravi and other respected members

Now Buy me a coffee ;) Donate
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R49VLCBR45322

Attachment:
QPST Software: Download
All Other Files: Download

Temporary AWS Patch Guide for Samsung S3 i747 Coming Soon Using Smart Apps Makes It Convenient to patch again on ever restart
chen sheng - thanks for donation
Saad Al Haddawi - thanks for donation
Pierluigi Zamparella - thanks!
and many others thank you for your donations.

Last edited:

WorldIRC

Apr 26, 2007
Toronto
OP - Can you please add mention and thanks to the team here on XDA that originally discovered this workaround for prior Samsung models -- I believe they deserve the majority of thanks as it was their methods that make today's methods possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: mimic42100 and sd_N

sonny21

Oct 7, 2012
OP - Can you please add mention and thanks to the team here on XDA that originally discovered this workaround for prior Samsung models -- I believe they deserve the majority of thanks as it was their methods that make today's methods possible.

I was about to point that out. The methods of previous model that prior known to work is EXACT SAME, just the little app which allows us to access that menu for S4. I also would like to know about band 2600 and if it stays intact for Rogers/Bell.

Last edited:

sonny21

Oct 7, 2012
It does -- tested and verified B7 is still "enableable" in the Band Selection program *#2263# (shows a * once selected and I maintain SOS signal on Rogers 2600).

Perfect. If you have Rogers sim, you should be able to get 2600 if you force it since most places get it unless you're in a area which doesn't. Maybe do a speed test to make sure but yeah it makes sense that it stays intact.

Last edited:

howipig

Dec 23, 2010
Folks,

Would it be necessary to change it back to MTP or MTP+ADB mode when done?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

WorldIRC

Apr 26, 2007
Toronto
Folks,

Would it be necessary to change it back to MTP or MTP+ADB mode when done?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Only if you use USB storage.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Perfect. If you have Rogers sim, you should be able to get 2600 if you force it since most places get it unless you're in a area which doesn't. Maybe do a speed test to make sure but yeah it makes sense that it stays intact.

If you see my screenshot, the phone remained on B7 (2600) with 20MHZ (that is how we verify it is indeed LTE 2600). No need to worry about it "sticking". That being said, I won't be caught dead going out and getting a Rogers SIM card...ever :)

DanMc85

Jan 6, 2008
USA
would this have to be redone if at&t or alike releases a firmware OTA that updates the phone modem?

FireRaider

Apr 23, 2008
Salt Lake City
I am in sensory overload with all the bootloader excitement today and am trying to get this AWS TMO thing straight in my head. I have been bouncing back and forth between the the TMO threads and the AT&T threads trying to stay up to date and now am just utterly confused.
If I do this mod to my rooted and sim unlocked AT&T i337 and then put a TMO sim card in it I should be able to get the faster 3G connection speeds instead of being stuck on Edge speeds? Depending on my area and service availability of course.
Is this what I am getting with the AWS enabling? Or do we still need to flash a different modem to enable fully the TMO frequencies on the AT&T phones?

zaryan

Oct 14, 2012
Toronto
I am in sensory overload with all the bootloader excitement today and am trying to get this AWS TMO thing straight in my head. I have been bouncing back and forth between the the TMO threads and the AT&T threads trying to stay up to date and now am just utterly confused.
If I do this mod to my rooted and sim unlocked AT&T i337 and then put a TMO sim card in it I should be able to get the faster 3G connection speeds instead of being stuck on Edge speeds? Depending on my area and service availability of course.
Is this what I am getting with the AWS enabling? Or do we still need to flash a different modem to enable fully the TMO frequencies on the AT&T phones?

You don't need to flash any different modem, this will fully enable TMobile freq on your ATT S4
Yes you should be able to get faster 3G connection as well.

WorldIRC

Apr 26, 2007
Toronto
Will this enable t-mobile LTE on our phone or is that impossible?

T-Mobile LTE is already enabled. This mod does not affect that.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

How is this different from the service menu unlock posted last week?

SIM Unlock = Any SIM can be used
AWS Enable = T-Mobile 3G / 4G on 1700/2100 will work in addition to 1900 and LTE.

howipig

Dec 23, 2010
SGH-I337M: LTE B7 (2600) retained AFTER the WCDMA B4 (AWS) mod

It does -- tested and verified B7 is still "enableable" in the Band Selection program *#2263# (shows a * once selected and I maintain SOS signal on Rogers 2600).

WorldIRC,

I think people would be skeptical until they see an actual CONNECTION after the mod...

LTE Band 7 (2600) with 20MHz bandwidth...

8808017194_353a5a1221.jpg
8797434871_d8f3a0e23b.jpg

UMTS Band IV (AWS)...

8799687303_d2cd2b2675.jpg
8799687183_60a770f35c.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide will help you enable AWS on AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 or Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 i337M
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All Files Have been Included In The Attachment ( See Below )

Instructions

1. Run & Install QPST Setup build 323 on your windows computer [File attached below]

2. [ With Latest Android Updates on S4, you don't need this step(2) which requires an application to be installed which is attached below named as phoneutil.apk, skip this step, How to know if you don't need, when Dial *#0808# on your dial pad if it shows a prompt poped up you don't need this step ]
    Copy phoneutil.apk (attached to this post) to your phone & Install it on your phone -> go to myfiles (on your phone), browse and install it.

3. Disconnect your phone from computer & dial:
    For stock android versions:
    Dial *#7284# on your phone dialer and hit “Qualcomm USB settings” button
    For Updated Android Versions
    *#0808# for new updated android S4

4. Check “RNDIS + DM + MODEM” then connect to computer again. (Some people got it working with "DM + MODEM + ADB")
    usb_setting.jpg

5.Your windows will install driver ( Samsung Kies if is installed, it will install drivers for your device )

6. Next, open up Device Manager on your computer and find “Samsung Mobile USB Serial Port” under Ports.
    Make a note of the COM number (usually the second one)
    device_manager.png

7. Start QPST Confirguration application

8. Press Add New port, Uncheck “Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only”, choose the COM port with the number you noted earlier then hit “OK”.
    addnewport.png

adnepo.png

10. Choose “Start Clients” and choose “SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD”.

11. Choose the “Backup” tab, hit “Browse” for Port and choose your COM number, hit “Browse” for QCN File and make a new file name for the QCN file you will be making a backup of. We will be backing up the NV Memory on your phone just in case you mess up something. Then hit Start.
    backup.png

12. Hit the “Restore” tab, set Port to your COM number. Next, choose the QCN File as “337_AWS.qcn”. (I have attached below)
    Then hit “Start” button. If you get a warning just hit “OK”.
    restore.png

13. Once that’s done restoring, your phone will reboot. Just give it about a minute as it will reboot. Once rebooted, you can insert your T-Mobile/Wind/Mobilicity SIM card and start enjoying
    networks.png

Tested 100% Works with all AWS network flawlessly.

FAQ

Will this void my warranty?
    No.
    What to do if i get this error ? "The model number in the QCN file and the phone do not match. Do you still want to restore the phone with this file?"
    It is safe to continue
    Will it work with other networks Rogers, Bell, Fido ?
    Yes.
    Phone has to be sim unlocked for this patch to work?
    Yes, phone must be sim unlocked
    Will it work with Custom ROMs?
    Many custom ROMs work, some ROMs don't work because USB Qualcomm Setting doesnt pop up.
    Is it permanent?
    When you hard reset your phone(Some custom roms require hard resetting), this needs to be patched again following this guide from beginning other than that, it stays patched even if you restart it.

You are responsible on following the instructions carefully, instructions are provided assuming user has adequate knowledge to carry out basic operations. For those who know, this is done exactly the same way the NOTE 2 was done.

Special Thanks: to FastGsm.com for the phoneutil.apk
    I would also like to thank the XDA Team and all those members who'd come up with this idea on the note 2 & before, indeed it wouldn't have been possible without them, originally by sjravi and other respected members

Now Buy me a coffee ;) Donate
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R49VLCBR45322

Attachment:
    QPST Software: Download
    All Other Files: Download

Temporary AWS Patch Guide for Samsung S3 i747 Coming Soon Using Smart Apps Makes It Convenient to patch again on ever restart
    chen sheng - thanks for donation
    Saad Al Haddawi - thanks for donation
    Pierluigi Zamparella - thanks!
    and many others thank you for your donations.
    Rated 5 stars!

Thx for posting the QCN file, I was about to make a backup from my own M919 until I saw this!

Video tutorial for anyone having trouble here:
    I made a flashable zip for unlock aws networks for att variant Modem mdl

Thanks to erolz for the modem and toothmkr57 for the idea :)

You can test it and give feedback please

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42589312

[RADIO]I337/I337m [CAN][USA]MEX]15/06/2013
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh ok. Can I install that .qcn modem file using Odin?
    I think only with QPST

If you can't get QPST to detect phone (0) then try this:

dial *#0808#, change to RNDIS, if that doesn't work try RMNET, if it still doesn't work dial *#9090# and hit 2 for HSIC. Fire up QPST, restore 337_aws.qcn file (backup yours first), after phone reboots go to mobile network and pick access point names, make sure dot beside your provider, go to network operators and choose "automatically select preferred network". Boom, done.

-Jamie M.