[Guide] Enabling Full speed Hotspot / Tethering (Throttle Bypasses)

Search This thread

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
OnePlus 8T
only reason I said that I think it's unlocked I looked at apn.xml and pulled dun apn I used * instead of dun because it don't allow it depends on carrier on what you need to enable I'm 310260 I went deleted line where it's hidden changed a few other things also testing now and you have to add the line with database editer and pcweb apn hope it helps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190819-005541.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819-005541.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,654
  • Screenshot_20190819-005751.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819-005751.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,639
  • Screenshot_20190819-010356__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819-010356__01.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,599

yanggame

Jan 10, 2012
The only reliable way is
1. flash a custom kernel with TTL iptable patch
2. create a new apn and change ipv6 to ipv4 (don't include mms because you will break it)
3. change settings put global tether_dun_required 0(may not needed anymore)
4. use a ttl editor to change value from 64 to 65, or use iptable command to do it.

3 and 4 can be done by a automate tool, I use MacroDroid. There is a template in MacroDroid, just search "Change TTL"

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
OnePlus 8T
thought it would work i didnt need to do but one thing it works and sticks testing before i say on here its read only but thats way i needed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190819-235148.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819-235148.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 1,031
  • Screenshot_20190819-235156.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819-235156.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,022

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
The only reliable way is
2. create a new apn and change ipv6 to ipv4 (don't include mms because you will break it)
4. use a ttl editor to change value from 64 to 65, or use iptable command to do it.

3 and 4 can be done by a automate tool, I use MacroDroid. There is a template in MacroDroid, just search "Change TTL"

this. you can probably get away with a ipv4/6 setting also.

for t-mo people. once you hit the 50 gig cap, simply switch over from lte to hspa and the speeds are going to be just fine again.

Reactions: gigilie

SavakSYN

Dec 4, 2014
The only reliable way is

As I'm currently trying to utilize my OP6T as my source of internet, I appreciate your input. A couple questions regarding your suggestions:

1. In regards to TTL, what's the difference between using a custom Kernel with TTL iptable patch versus rooting and using an application like Change TTL or TTL Editor? Do these applications not work if the Kernel doesn't support it? And I'm guessing the OEM Kernel does not...
2. How does using an application like NetShare or EasyTether differ from doing the steps you outlined above? I understand they require an initial investment (pro versions of those apps), but do they yield the same results, or am I better off going the route you outlined?

Thanks

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
OnePlus 8T
the best way is download apn offline sim database editor make it a system priv app and you'll be able to add dun I have unlimited hotspot 4g speeds hope this helps op Dev you may need pro to make it work right I also edited the apn.xml to see and change apn I'm still testing read only or not but both work

SavakSYN

Dec 4, 2014
the best way is download apn offline sim database editor make it a system priv app and you'll be able to add dun I have unlimited hotspot 4g speeds hope this helps op Dev you may need pro to make it work right I also edited the apn.xml to see and change apn I'm still testing read only or not but both work

Can you screenshot your settings for your APN? In your previous posts you stated that you thought it worked but it didn't, so now that you say you have it working, I'd like to see the configuration if you don't mind :)

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
OnePlus 8T
thought i put pic up top but that was the * on pcmobile web apn that it needs to help i never said it didn't i just needed to test it before i did post it i did read only apn OnePlus 7pro i made rw on 6t both worked

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190821-232230.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-232230.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 765
  • Screenshot_20190821-232444.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-232444.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 764

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
OnePlus 8T
here's 6t I'm still messing with xml I deleted TMobiles main apn made this the default one it's up to you guys the dev in op wanted to find a way hopefully he sees this and don't name package folder wrong when you change to system priv app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190821-233736.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-233736.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 579

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
thought i put pic up top but that was the * on pcmobile web apn that it needs to help i never said it didn't i just needed to test it before i did post it i did read only apn OnePlus 7pro i made rw on 6t both worked

Hey bro do u not get good service where your at? Are u using the other little mod to always use carrier aggregation and volte even if not available.... Just wondering I roll around max signal unless less I'm way out in the boonies.

PS check your dm

p51d007

Oct 15, 2007
Springfield, Mo
I kind of cheat a little. I rarely tether, but, once in a while, say 2-3 times a month, I'll be where there isn't any wifi. On Straight Talk (tracfone)
using the at&t towers, I'll tether to get some web work done. Maybe 15-30 minutes at most, so I'm guessing I'm flying under the radar.
Not downloading or streaming videos.

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
OnePlus 8T
im on T-Mobile tested on international 6t and stock 7pro works great i live in gaston sc way out i boosted my mtu by decompiling framework.apk but theres easy ways to do that some phones boost the signal at top by one bar oneplus i have had that off maybe rom that turned that off if not i would have i went in rftoolkit.apk but thats different

Last edited:

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I kind of cheat a little. I rarely tether, but, once in a while, say 2-3 times a month, I'll be where there isn't any wifi. On Straight Talk (tracfone)
using the at&t towers, I'll tether to get some web work done. Maybe 15-30 minutes at most, so I'm guessing I'm flying under the radar.
Not downloading or streaming videos.

I have AT&T proper, not straight talk, but I have noticed that my tethering data doesn't show up as hotspot data, straight out of the box. I just tick the hotspot quick settings tile and go, no custom kernel, no magisk module, no build.prop edits, no special APN.

That being said, be careful how much data you use with AT&T and the AT&T side of Straight Talk because I believe I am now being perpetually slowed on my home tower due to one month's very high data use; cautionary tale ahead...

I have the unlimited and more plan; unlimited talk/text/data and 15GB hotspot data per line. My wife uses a Galaxy S9 and I use the 6T; she regularly hits her 15GB hotspot limit each month, and mine never shows that I've used any hotspot data at all. In fact, I bought an Xbox one X about 2 months ago and used my hotspot for the initial setup, game downloads, and updates.. in all I used well over 300GB on my line that month, nearly every bit of it hotspot and it all showed as my unlimited data.. I believe they now permanently do more than deprioritize my line because the deprioritization is only supposed to kick in once you go over 22GB in a billing cycle and is supposed to reset on the new cycle. The thing is, ever since that month, the max speed I can get now at home, on hotspot or mobile data, is generally between 150-400KB/s whereas before that month, if I got less than about 1.5MB/s I was wondering why my data was slow. Doesn't matter if it's the first day or the last day of my billing cycle, I can tell that there is definitely something different because away from home, my speeds are normal; it's just on the tower that services my home am I cut off so severely. YouTube buffers, downloads take forever, and even Speedtest.net, which apparently normally says your data speeds are faster than they actually are, gives me pretty pitiful results. My wife's data speeds seem to be impacted as well, so they must have nerfed my account on our home tower, if it's even possible...

p51d007

Oct 15, 2007
Springfield, Mo
Yeah, I'm pretty careful to JUST browse when I'm hot spotting. Heck, even with spotify streaming with my phone, I rarely
use more than 8-10GB of data per month out of the 25GB I get. At work I'm on wi-fi anyway ;)

I have AT&T proper, not straight talk, but I have noticed that my tethering data doesn't show up as hotspot data, straight out of the box. I just tick the hotspot quick settings tile and go, no custom kernel, no magisk module, no build.prop edits, no special APN.

That being said, be careful how much data you use with AT&T and the AT&T side of Straight Talk because I believe I am now being perpetually slowed on my home tower due to one month's very high data use; cautionary tale ahead...

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
went on a wild goose chase regarding this issue myself. i thought whatever i did on my other 9.0 Pie phone (running Omni) would stick here(running the dun adb command script), but no cigar. T-mo was still seeing my wi-fi traffic. I went ahead and grabbed the apns-conf.xml file from my other pie phone and over-written the one in the etc folder. That killed all of the other apns and resetting to default would not bring up t-mo compatible ones in the menu. great, right? I went ahead and re-created a tmo apn manually and set it to ipv4, as well as adding "DUN" to the apn type (all caps) - that bypassed the usual "carrier disallows dun apn type" crap.

I went ahead and tethered my connection to my other phone (initiated a vpn on it) and downloaded a large file. tmo didn't seem to display any change in wifi tether data. will be testing some more later tonight.

my theory is that without these modifications, your tether traffic is getting a run thru the dun apn that was setup in the stock apns-conf.xml file, allowing the carrier to see it. if anyone wants to test with my modified file, let me know and i will upload it.

Reactions: gigilie

Causical

Feb 4, 2016

I have the unlimited and more plan; unlimited talk/text/data and 15GB hotspot data per line. My wife uses a Galaxy S9 and I use the 6T; she regularly hits her 15GB hotspot limit each month, and mine never shows that I've used any hotspot data at all. In fact, I bought an Xbox one X about 2 months ago and used my hotspot for the initial setup, game downloads, and updates.. in all I used well over 300GB on my line that month, nearly every bit of it hotspot and it all showed as my unlimited data.. I believe they now permanently do more than deprioritize my line because the deprioritization is only supposed to kick in once you go over 22GB in a billing cycle and is supposed to reset on the new cycle. The thing is, ever since that month, the max speed I can get now at home, on hotspot or mobile data, is generally between 150-400KB/s whereas before that month, if I got less than about 1.5MB/s I was wondering why my data was slow. Doesn't matter if it's the first day or the last day of my billing cycle, I can tell that there is definitely something different because away from home, my speeds are normal; it's just on the tower that services my home am I cut off so severely. YouTube buffers, downloads take forever, and even Speedtest.net, which apparently normally says your data speeds are faster than they actually are, gives me pretty pitiful results. My wife's data speeds seem to be impacted as well, so they must have nerfed my account on our home tower, if it's even possible...
I can confirm there are some oddities (although advantageous) with hot spotting from AT&T through the 6T, in the event where there actually isn't any hotspot data available on a phone plan you will still be able to hotpot. Although if you switch your sim card to another phone you will likely not be able to hotpot at all unless available on your plan.

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
OnePlus 8T
i messaged you back gigilie sorry it gave the devdb notification not the message one the apn.xml will be different depending on carrier config but after playing around with it you have to do just right someone is putting instructions up soon we tested different setups with no prob but it deletes carrier apn i took the carrier name off lock screen and moved other stuff and dun has to match xml also idsn works too

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
OnePlus 8T
there's the difference I made playing around TMobile gets 10mbs my son gets 30mbs average look at times I cycled network and close times so traffic on tower was same and I turned wifi calling off not apn

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190903-034835.jpg
    Screenshot_20190903-034835.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 812
  • Screenshot_20190903-140649.jpg
    Screenshot_20190903-140649.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 818

tengtengvn

Dec 13, 2008
Silicon Valley
I can confirm there are some oddities (although advantageous) with hot spotting from AT&T through the 6T, in the event where there actually isn't any hotspot data available on a phone plan you will still be able to hotpot. Although if you switch your sim card to another phone you will likely not be able to hotpot at all unless available on your plan.
I'm using a verizon sim card without HS plan. On the iPhone and other phones, I'm required to sign up for a HS plan.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

SavakSYN

Dec 4, 2014
there's the difference I made playing around TMobile gets 10mbs my son gets 30mbs average look at times I cycled network and close times so traffic on tower was same and I turned wifi calling off not apn

went on a wild goose chase regarding this issue myself. i thought whatever i did on my other 9.0 Pie phone (running Omni) would stick here(running the dun adb command script), but no cigar. T-mo was still seeing my wi-fi traffic. I went ahead and grabbed the apns-conf.xml file from my other pie phone and over-written the one in the etc folder. That killed all of the other apns and resetting to default would not bring up t-mo compatible ones in the menu. great, right? I went ahead and re-created a tmo apn manually and set it to ipv4, as well as adding "DUN" to the apn type (all caps) - that bypassed the usual "carrier disallows dun apn type" crap.

I went ahead and tethered my connection to my other phone (initiated a vpn on it) and downloaded a large file. tmo didn't seem to display any change in wifi tether data. will be testing some more later tonight.

my theory is that without these modifications, your tether traffic is getting a run thru the dun apn that was setup in the stock apns-conf.xml file, allowing the carrier to see it. if anyone wants to test with my modified file, let me know and i will upload it.

Do either of you mind uploading the files you refer to in your posts? Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If your rooted then theres various ways to bypass and if used together chances are good you won't have to pay 2x for data: modifying your apn to allow dun type, adding the line: net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
    to your build.prop and finally using adb from a PC (u can try this even if not rooted) type the following from cmd or powershell: "adb shell" followed by "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" without the " "s and restart your phone n hopefully that should do the trick.

If still throttled by TMo go into Magisk and install tethering_enabler or TTL tethering modules. These modules weren't specifically made for the 6T but they should still be effective. If still unsuccessful then modifying the TTL from the device your trying to tether to will help hide the source of data aim for TTL of 65 to confuse tmo.

If your not rooted then use PDANet USB tether to a PC and hide tether options then create a hotspot from the PC your USB tethered to or use the WiFi Sharing option in PDANet PC Menu. At least thats what works the best for me and I've tried many many things... One other possibility if your on stock no root is to add a new apn with all the same info as normal fast.tmobile.net lte apn only enable MVNO type to GIO for apn type leave it blank and save it. This should hide the default TMobile apn (and make the editor think your using a 3rd party like Mint) now go back and edit the new apn and under apn type put: dun,default,mms,supl try and save it. It should error n say dun not supported... Press Home and force close settings-reboot phone. The dun sometimes will stick if this method isn't patched yet I'm sure it will be soon.

Your final options are to use an app from playstore like VPN Hotspot or VPN Tether they might slow your speed a bit but they should tunnel all your data thru a VPN confusing TMo as to the origin of data. Probably the best and easiest way is by using a custom ROM as most haven't been tainted by Google's latest CarrierConfigManager commits or carrier apn restrictions. If anyone knows how to reverse these commits easily or any other methods not listed please let me know.

I'm currently looking for a clean TMo only dun enabled apns-config.xml so I can overwrite the default n modify the build.prop for a quick fix on any new ROM or update...

As you can probably tell being throttled or having to pay 2x for the same data is a pet peeve of mine and I've spent some time researching the topic. I'd love to hear what ended up working for you or if anyone knows a solid method I missed. Or has a recommendation for a good ROM with unlimited hotspot features built in for the 6t let me know. If any of these Bypasses helped you hit the thumbs up so I don't feel like I wasted hours of my life making this guide:laugh:
    So far for the last few days I've been getting use of my hotspot without the data being reflected on the TMobile website as hotspot data. All data I use reflects as regular unlimited data. The issue I've run across so far is when traveling, it can revert back to original settings when changing towers, but only sometimes. At home on the same tower, no issues so far.

I did a couple of things to get unlimited hotspot. First I downloaded TTL Editor and set value on all interfaces to 65. Then I added a new APN with the settings in the screenshot. As soon as I saved it, all the regular TMobile APN's disappeared and only the one I added stayed. I have downloaded about 5gb of data through hotspot and so far no hotspot data showing up.

I have a TMobile OnePlus 6t on the TMobile network, converted to international. I hope this works for you. Please don't forget, changing towers SOMETIMES reverts back to old APN. I got back by rebooting and the APN I created showed up again. Also I don't know if everything I did is needed, I stopped when I realized hotspot data was being counted as regular data.

As far as speeds go, I get about 40 Mbs vs the 50-60 I normally get.

You must be rooted to do this.
    USB tether to Asus Merlin possible?

I was able to connect to the openshh server in termux using putty and set up my proxy in windows 10 without a problem, but it still detects it as hotspot data. I am sure if I use sshuttle it will work, but my goal is to connect my hotspot to my Asus-Merlin router using usb tether :eek: . I can currently do this with my OP6t running with OOS 9.0.3 unrooted, but not the OOS 10.

Just figured I would drop this in here as a working solution.

I've done this for ever and it's not going to be restricted to who you have but it will 100 percent get around any data throttling.
    Download Termux app and install openssh-server on it. Go ahead and hotspot your phone, then run ifconfig inside Termux to get your current tethering local IP. It will be the only 192. spit out when you run ifconfig. Save this. Run sshd -dD inside Termux which starts an openssh server waiting to be connected to in debug mode to audit traffic. Now pop onto a PC or router you can SSH into, whatever and connect it to your hotspot from your phone. Now SSH tunnel all the traffic from the device back through the openssh server your running on the Termux app. Now that you are on the same local network you can SSH tunnel into that IP address you saved earlier. As long as you make sure all your traffic passes through the tunnel it 100 percent shows that all your internet is being used by Termux app not your hotspot app so you need no other spoofing of hops or anything because to your phone and carrier you are just using a bunch of data in termux, you do it right you will never be throttled I've used 150GB data multiple times.

Step by step > https://github.com/RiFi2k/unlimited-tethering
    The only reliable way is

Okay, out in town today and this APN method doesn't work in town. I had to revert to T-Mobile default to get reliable data. It only works great when I'm at home. I am rural and TMobile and AT&T share a tower here, maybe that has something to do with why it works at home, but not in town. So this might work for some people, but definitely not all.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone