How To Guide [GUIDE] Enabling Vo5G/VoNR on T-Mobile (plus VoLTE, VoWiFI, video calling for everyone else?)

Search This thread

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Update: Android 13 Beta 2 includes Vo5G for T-Mobile, Metro, and Assurance.

The file you want to edit will look similar to this:
/data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml

Your carrier will likely have a different xml file name. Vo5G should also work for Metro and T-Mobile MVNOs like Mint. Not sure if any other carriers support it. When in doubt, ls the folder. If you are dual-sim, pick the right one.

Root file explorers and editors might not see this file but give it a try. Probably easier to just do this on the device.

You can also do this from command line or do a weird sequence of copies, pulls, edits, pushes with adb and your favorite text editor. You need root.

Example:
adb shell
su
cp /data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml /sdcard/
exit
exit
adb pull /sdcard/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml
*edit file*
adb push carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml /sdcard/
adb shell
su
cp /sdcard/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml /data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/
reboot

Add or edit these items before the </bundle> at the end. You can combine.

For Vo5G:
<boolean name="vonr_enabled_bool" value="true" />

For VoLTE (experimental):
<boolean name="carrier_volte_available_bool" value="true" />

For VoWiFi (experimental):
<boolean name="carrier_default_wfc_ims_enabled_bool" value="true" /> <boolean name="carrier_wfc_ims_available_bool" value="true" />

For VT carrier video calling (experimental, seems to set the toggle with my AT&T sim):
<boolean name="carrier_vt_available_bool" value="true" />

Reboot. Enjoy.

Experimental means experimental. Try at your own risk. Additional flags to properly config your carrier or use when roaming are likely needed.

To test Vo5G, the best way is to set NR-only in *#*#4636#*#* and then try to dial your voicemail. I have not tested ViNR/Vi5G (Video over 5G). Your phone will typically only use Vo5G as a last resort otherwise. Be sure to set back to NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA when done.

And no, I don't know how to enable 5G for your phone in an unsupported country/carrier. I have a few leads on where the xml files may control 5G but again, untested. Or it's deep in the modem package's config files and not something I want to mess with. I'm just laying out my research. Your carrier may block or whitelist these features by IMEI or plan. At least that's the case for my AT&T sim.

Background:
This phone launched without Vo5G support. Or did it? When Android 13 DP1 came out, this was left enabled, among other goodies in the carrier settings and modem. When subsequent builds came out, Vo5G was gone regardless of modem or carrier config pb file overrides. Turns out I was looking in the wrong place. Credit to @foobar66 for laying a great foundation in the original VoLTE thread and ideas on how these kinds of edits can be Magisk modules. For the VoLTE item, when I set to false in the xml, I could no longer place calls in 4G or 5G modes on T-Mobile. It didn't shift down to HSPA+ though as a fallback. And yes, I know that T-Mobile is actually using an VoLTE/EPS core for Vo5G, but it's still Vo5G as far as the phone cares.

oriole:/ # logcat | grep -i vonr 04-28 23:55:50.668 2473 2473 D VoNrSettings: init: 04-28 23:55:50.668 2473 2473 D VoNrSettings: mHas5gCapability: true,mIsNrEnabledFromCarrierConfig: true,mIsVonrEnabledFromCarrierConfig: true,mIsVonrVisibleFromCarrierConfig: true

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-000054.png
    Screenshot_20220429-000054.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
VoWifi seems to be a bit more involved. Carriers also like to whitelist it.

Maybe it's <boolean name="carrier_wfc_ims_available_bool" value="true" />?

Setting to false breaks mine.

Last edited:

Liranazuz5

Jul 6, 2019
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 3 XL
The file you want to edit:
/data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml

Your carrier will likely have a different xml file name. Vo5G should also work for Metro and T-Mobile MVNOs like Mint. Not sure if any other carriers support it. When in doubt, ls the folder.

Root file explorers won't see this file. Either have do from command line or do a weird sequence of copies, pulls, edits, pushes with adb and your favorite text editor. You need root.

Example:

Add these items before the </bundle> at the end. You can combine.

For Vo5G:
<boolean name="vonr_enabled_bool" value="true" /> <boolean name="vonr_setting_visibility_bool" value="true" />

<boolean name="carrier_default_wfc_ims_enabled_bool" value="true" /> <boolean name="carrier_wfc_ims_available_bool" value="true" />

For VT carrier video calling (experimental, seems to set the toggle with my AT&T sim):

For 5G (experimental):
<int-array name="carrier_nr_availabilities_int_array" num="2"> <item value="1" /> <item value="2" /> </int-array>

Reboot. Enjoy.

Experimental means experimental. Try at your own risk. Additional flags to properly config your carrier or use when roaming are likely needed.

To test Vo5G, the best way is to set NR-only in *#*#4636#*#* and then try to dial your voicemail. I have not tested ViNR/Vi5G (Video over 5G). Your phone will typically only use Vo5G as a last resort otherwise. Be sure to set back to NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA when done.

And no, I don't know how to enable 5G for your phone in an unsupported country/carrier. I have a few leads on where the xml files may control 5G but again, untested. Or it's deep in the modem package's config files and not something I want to mess with. I'm just laying out my research. Your carrier may block or whitelist these features by IMEI or plan. At least that's the case for my AT&T sim.

Background:
This phone launched without Vo5G support. Or did it? When Android 13 DP1 came out, this was left enabled, among other goodies in the carrier settings and modem. When subsequent builds came out, Vo5G was gone regardless of modem or carrier config pb file overrides. Turns out I was looking in the wrong place. Credit to @foobar66 for laying a great foundation in the original VoLTE thread and ideas on how these kinds of edits can be Magisk modules. For the VoLTE item, when I set to false in the xml, I could no longer place calls in 4G or 5G modes on T-Mobile. It didn't shift down to HSPA+ though as a fallback. And yes, I know that T-Mobile is actually using an VoLTE/EPS core for Vo5G, but it's still Vo5G as far as the phone cares.

oriole:/ # logcat | grep -i vonr 04-28 23:55:50.668 2473 2473 D VoNrSettings: init: 04-28 23:55:50.668 2473 2473 D VoNrSettings: mHas5gCapability: true,mIsNrEnabledFromCarrierConfig: true,mIsVonrEnabledFromCarrierConfig: true,mIsVonrVisibleFromCarrierConfig: true
Thank you for this guide Sir!
btw, i had no trouble finding and editing the xml using FX explorer. thx again man!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-132717.png
    Screenshot_20220429-132717.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 475

DKErric

Oct 14, 2017
Tested from China and it's not working when I tried to enable 5G. I'm using China Telecom and apparently it's an unsupported carrier.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
After speaking with some folks on Telegram on carrier config structure, I'm probably going to remove that portion of the guide.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Isnt your whole guide based on editing the carrier config?
It is, but I've been speaking with other folks such as Gabe from the bounty Telegram. The portion I removed really only concerned 5G toggles in menus and not the ability to actually use it. Some carriers don't even let you select 5G as an option, that's all I was able to override.

I think we need and Carrier configuration file from a sim from a supported country to do a comparison and merge... Every sim from every carrier create a specific .XML file
I haven't seen anything in the carrier config files that suggests 5G can be enabled there. At most, you can control NSA vs SA or defining specific bands that need to be supported like n77, but actually telling the phone to use 5G seems to be at the modem level.

Reactions: spinoza23

Nightf0x_007

Nov 5, 2012
P6 here vo5g disappeared after udpating to july update but also i noticed my carrier settings verison is way too old (idk ut downgraded or what)

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
For VoLTE, try all these:
Code:
<boolean name="editable_enhanced_4g_lte_bool" value="true" />
<boolean name="enhanced_4g_lte_on_by_default_bool" value="true" />
<boolean name="hide_enhanced_4g_lte_bool" value="false" />
<boolean name="hide_lte_plus_data_icon_bool" value="false" />
<boolean name="lte_enabled_bool" value="true" />
<boolean name="show_4g_for_lte_data_icon_bool" value="true" />
<boolean name="show_data_connected_roaming_notification" value="true" />

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Android 13 Beta 2 includes Vo5G for T-Mobile, Metro, and Assurance.

The file you want to edit will look similar to this:

Your carrier will likely have a different xml file name. Vo5G should also work for Metro and T-Mobile MVNOs like Mint. Not sure if any other carriers support it. When in doubt, ls the folder. If you are dual-sim, pick the right one.

Root file explorers and editors might not see this file but give it a try. Probably easier to just do this on the device.

You can also do this from command line or do a weird sequence of copies, pulls, edits, pushes with adb and your favorite text editor. You need root.

Example:
    adb shell
    su
    cp /data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml /sdcard/
    exit
    exit
    adb pull /sdcard/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml
    *edit file*
    adb push carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    cp /sdcard/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-8901260570715066153-1.xml /data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/
    reboot

Add or edit these items before the </bundle> at the end. You can combine.

For Vo5G:
    <boolean name="vonr_enabled_bool" value="true" />

Reboot. Enjoy.

Background:

Tested from China and it's not working when I tried to enable 5G. I'm using China Telecom and apparently it's an unsupported carrier.
    I think we need and Carrier configuration file from a sim from a supported country to do a comparison and merge... Every sim from every carrier create a specific .XML file
    Maybe we can get the corresponding operator profile through the 5g Samsung mobile phone (exynos)that has been root? Translation from Google - form China
    Isnt your whole guide based on editing the carrier config?
    It is, but I've been speaking with other folks such as Gabe from the bounty Telegram. The portion I removed really only concerned 5G toggles in menus and not the ability to actually use it. Some carriers don't even let you select 5G as an option, that's all I was able to override.

I haven't seen anything in the carrier config files that suggests 5G can be enabled there. At most, you can control NSA vs SA or defining specific bands that need to be supported like n77, but actually telling the phone to use 5G seems to be at the modem level.
    The July update FINALLY allowed me to enable wi-fi calling (straight talk, verizon sim).
    But, I still can't enable VoLTE. When I try to select it, it is grayed out?
    Any hacks for that??
    No without root