[Guide] Enabling VoLTE/VoWiFi v2

Search This thread

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
OnePlus 7T
Not

Not sure for other SD835 devices, will have to ask people on different forums as don't think i could find out from first hand, and about brand don't know much about transactions and if they using someone else's equipment, i only know that earlier for more years was good brand Telenor from Norway, but someone bought their part on Balkan 2018, which renamed into Yettel just now month ago, even if they still had just brand name Telenor till now, it wasn't that good like earlier, so i'll have to investigate that, thx for tip
Well I think it will grandfather the old owner. If you check the mbn github repo, there is good list of SD835 carriers to flash. I believe OP5 was supported by Norwegian and Swedish Telenor.

But its important to have twrp present to backup the efs if something happens.

Zoki88

Feb 26, 2017
Well I think it will grandfather the old owner. If you check the mbn github repo, there is good list of SD835 carriers to flash. I believe OP5 was supported by Norwegian and Swedish Telenor.

But its important to have twrp present to backup the efs if something happens.
I done backup of QCN and XQCN from efs using those QPST and QFIL programs(was first time using those yesterday as first thing done backup before tried activating and deactivating mbn from carriers in PDC program, when that didn't work, then tried with Efs Tool here), will do efs through TWRP too, or no need if already have QCN?
Also do you have some example link for those mbn lists on github? Thing is that my phone actually have mbn file for my carrier(which is named by old name Telenor), but when i set it to be that, IMS still says not registered, so i don't know which one should try, which works with my Yettel carrier here on Balkan, as maybe is now different modem from Telenor Norway, i tried with Vodafone India mbn on PDC, didn't work, so thinking if should try through Efs Tool too

Zoki88

Feb 26, 2017
Hi @borisSweden and @astracd
Nope they don't, as least for ZD551kl. But OP mentioned it doesn't matter which device the mbn file come from as long the mbn file belongs to the carrier in used. I tried the one from post #331 for my carrier and still doesn't work.
I guess it maybe does matter where the mbn come from.

On the other hand, someone mentioned successfully enable volte on Asus using Xiaomi mbn in this thread. Interesting yet confusing.

I also have this LG V20 and trying to enable volte using mbn method. I used the mbn file (but not for my carrier) from post #41 Zte Axon 7 (same 820 chipset with V20) and volte still not working as the mbn wouldn't load. (Fyi, I have done some reading that Oneplus 5/6/7/8 users can load mbn from India Vodafone or Uk Telefonica to substitute my carrier mbn although my carrier has nothing to do with both the telcos).

Well I guess its bad luck for me. I tried to find ZD551kl and V20 mbn files but couldn't find any. 3G has shut down and my phones are on its way become paperweight piece of brick. If anyone see this post and provide me the mbn files, I would be very grateful.
I just now saw your post as i have same issue trying to enable VoLTE on my LG V30, same without any success, anything i tried through efstool mbn files from OP5 or Pixel 2 didn't make my IMS status register at all in Yettel carrier using other carriers mbn(India Vodafone one), any luck at your side?

Jan 20, 2022
I just now saw your post as i have same issue trying to enable VoLTE on my LG V30, same without any success, anything i tried through efstool mbn files from OP5 or Pixel 2 didn't make my IMS status register at all in Yettel carrier using other carriers mbn(India Vodafone one), any luck at your side?
Hi,
For LG V30, you need to use mbn specifically for LG V30 only.
Try go to this thread:

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
OnePlus 7T
Hi,
Try go to this thread:
I was able to use MBN files from other devices without bricking but EFS backup is still needed. What important is to trick the carrier so IMS is registered. LG phones have not been sold that well hence no VoLTE.

Zoki88

Feb 26, 2017
Hi,
Try go to this thread:
yea, i discovered that very recently, but thanks anyway!
I was able to use MBN files from other devices without bricking but EFS backup is still needed. What important is to trick the carrier so IMS is registered. LG phones have not been sold that well hence no VoLTE.
With LG phone? That's impossible, as i saw and was told that it must be mbn files from same device(only allowed from different versions of regions or different versions of OS), but ik that on rog phone, pixel, oneplus, xiaomi etc is possible to put mbn from any other devices if you more referred on some of those? For lg that is not working(or at least those ways which works on other phones), PDC doesn't want to add/load mbn if it's not from same device, efstool doesn't change or do anything(even if codes in cmd are working good and without any error, nothing change when restart phone), even using MBN from other LG phones not working. But yes, combo of lg brand and my carrier is something that makes it (almost) impossible to have VoLTE, as both sides are very not interested in developing any of that (my carrier compared to other Europe carriers is very limited, it doesn't bother to cooperate with other brands for VoLTE while mostly have for samsung, apple and huawei), so i gave up from that, brought back Asian OS and am very happy with phone without VoLTE (brought back original OS for much better and stable wifi and lte performance). I also mentioned all that and you can see more words about it in this thread for lg must being mbn from same device: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ther-qualcomm-powered-lg-devices-too.4343655/

But thank you all for trying to help!

Also if anyone is interested in making alternative for Boldbeast's VoIP recorder, you can take a look here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ule-to-bypass-audio-recording-limits.4416297/

Jan 20, 2022
Hi,
That's impossible, as i saw and was told that it must be mbn files from same device(only allowed from different versions of regions or different versions of OS),
Yes, I have tried it. The mbn has to be from the exactly same device you are using. Using mbn from other brands of smartphone but with same chipset as LG V30 also doesn't work.

I have LG V20 and i managed to get temporary root access to the Cust folder and combining the method from this thread (if I remember correctly), I managed to upload my carrier's mbn (from another smartphone brand) to the LG V20 (without using PDC tools). In the end, it just doesn't work. Even worse, the phone signal is dead. Factory reset doesn't help, only firmware re-flash helped. So, do not try it.
combo of lg brand and my carrier is something that makes it (almost) impossible to have VoLTE,
Since LG smartphone division is dead, it is quite unlikely current carriers will provide Volte support to LG phones. The last method I can think of to make your LG to get Volte function is, a member in LG V20 thread told me that you should find a branded LG V30 (as in your case) by your carrier, it can be from another country in Europe. It also can be from LG phone with same chipset as LG V30 and branded by your carrier. Try to get that firmware and look into the cust folder (if LG V30 is same as LG V20) for your carrier's Volte settings (those settings are mostly in .xml files). Once you get the carrier's settings, make the necessary changes to the cust folder (you need to have root access) and hopefully with some trial and error tweaks, you might get the Volte works.

For me, there is no luck for this. So I guess I can live with it until 2G end or the phone die on itself.

Last edited:

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
OnePlus 7T
yea, i discovered that very recently, but thanks anyway!

With LG phone? That's impossible, as i saw and was told that it must be mbn files from same device(only allowed from different versions of regions or different versions of OS), but ik that on rog phone, pixel, oneplus, xiaomi etc is possible to put mbn from any other devices if you more referred on some of those? For lg that is not working(or at least those ways which works on other phones), PDC doesn't want to add/load mbn if it's not from same device, efstool doesn't change or do anything(even if codes in cmd are working good and without any error, nothing change when restart phone), even using MBN from other LG phones not working. But yes, combo of lg brand and my carrier is something that makes it (almost) impossible to have VoLTE, as both sides are very not interested in developing any of that (my carrier compared to other Europe carriers is very limited, it doesn't bother to cooperate with other brands for VoLTE while mostly have for samsung, apple and huawei), so i gave up from that, brought back Asian OS and am very happy with phone without VoLTE (brought back original OS for much better and stable wifi and lte performance). I also mentioned all that and you can see more words about it in this thread for lg must being mbn from same device: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ther-qualcomm-powered-lg-devices-too.4343655/

But thank you all for trying to help!

Also if anyone is interested in making alternative for Boldbeast's VoIP recorder, you can take a look here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ule-to-bypass-audio-recording-limits.4416297/
Reason why I tried Xiaomi Mi A1 and Nokia 8 mbn files on my Oneplus 3T is the carrier name. QPTS recognized my phone with the carrier name Telia. On the issue of LG, it has not been supported by Scandinavian carriers since 2015. So I would first find a mbn file from another phone with the same SoC and modem. Second is to find a carrier what has a collaboration with your primary carrier.

Last edited:

Dredead

Mar 29, 2011
Heya guys. Is there any way to enable the diag port without root currently? i.e. does the #*#717717#*#* or *#*#13491#*#* dialer code work on the ROG Phone II?

I've been hesitant to root due to Widevine L3, are we able to retain L1 yet after rooting/unlocking bootloader?

There's shocking reception in my office and I'm at the point where I need to be making many calls a day so I'll either need to fork out for a new device or go ahead with root to get WiFi calling working.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

awesome14

Dec 6, 2019
Is this post for Asus devices only? Do I need Windows? Will Windows 7 work? Do the MBNs work for any device?

Dnlz

Sep 7, 2015
Spent hours trying to do this, but even when specifying object reference it refuses to work.
com09.png

objectreference.png

I suspect it must be some kind of driver issue, but I tried it on another windows device and same issue persists.
1656881081942.png

QPST doesn't recognize my Poco F1 as sdm845 device either. Anyone with a clue?

VarDes

Jun 25, 2011
Sony Xperia 1
ASUS ROG Phone II
Hey, tried this on A11, but Your app doesn't ask for root (phone is unlocked and rooted - root working, I was able to change the props with adb shell) - no prompt pops up, magisk isnt blocking it by itself. Is this newer magisk problem or do I need to downgrade to A9 then upgrade to A11?

astracd

Jul 6, 2014
OnePlus 2
OnePlus 3
Hey, tried this on A11, but Your app doesn't ask for root (phone is unlocked and rooted - root working, I was able to change the props with adb shell) - no prompt pops up, magisk isnt blocking it by itself. Is this newer magisk problem or do I need to downgrade to A9 then upgrade to A11?

In magisk under superuser is shell activated as superuser?

also under developer options you need to have usb debugging on

VarDes

Jun 25, 2011
Sony Xperia 1
ASUS ROG Phone II
In magisk under superuser is shell activated as superuser?

also under developer options you need to have usb debugging on
Yes it did show and I had debugging on. What fixed it for me (probably overboard) was going back to A9 and using magisk 24.3 : ).

UPDATE: Used OTA to go back to A11 and no VoLTE : /, app too says 'Failed enabling volte' despite having root access. Anyone else facing similiar issue? Everything was ok in A9. Technically VoLTE/VoWiFi is still showing in options, but trying a call drops back to H+

EDIT: Trying to enable DIAG mode also fails with "Are You rooted?" message, and I definitely am rooted.

EDIT2: Managed to get it working, had to re-do the efs modification, tho VoLTE app refused to work. What did was:
0. You have everything needed grouped from 1st post
1. Enable usb-debugging, also have root
2. Connect phone to pc
3. Open cmd, type "adb devices"
4. If Your device is there, type "adb shell"
5. now in adb shell type "su" and enter
6. If You haven't yet approved root for shell/adb, do so on Your phone screen
7. If in shell, last character before being able to type is # everything is all right
8. Now type "setprop sys.usb.config rndis,diag,adb" and enter
9. On Your pc You should hear a sound of device connecting, check Your device manager and under COM/LPT ports you should see a new device (Qualcomm 902D or something like that, not 9008 or anything)
10. If you did, open cmd in EfsTools folder and type "EfsTools.exe efsInfo" and enter, if you dont see any error, just 1-2lines of 'properties', You're good to go and just continue from the guide in the 1st post :).
11. After You're done with the procedure, You can manually revert usb settings, by opening Your adb shell again (steps 3-7), but this time use command "setprop sys.usb.config mtp,adb" and enter, after which reboot Your phone and VoLTE should be working normally now :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Preface
    With this guide I can officially deprecate the other guide I wrote, as we will no longer have to hack together a solution by loading profiles for other carriers. Meaning, that this should just work provided an mbn exists for your carrier - doesn't matter from which device. This has been reported to work on TMO in the US, which did not work with my other method.

Prerequsities
    * You must have working DIAG mode. See my other thread for more information on how to set that up.

Downloads
    * AsusVoLTE v1.0.1
    * EfsTools 0.10 modded 1.2
    * EFS items
    * Xiaomi Mi 9T MBNs (optional)

Step 1 - setting props
    Install the AsusVoLTE app from above, make sure to upgrade if you already have it installed. Run the app and press the Enable VoLTE button; this should set some properties on the device to force-enable VoLTE after we have also done the other steps below. If you already enable VoLTE using my old method you can safely skip this step.
    If you prefer to not use the app, simply run this in an adb shell:
    Code:
    setprop persist.vendor.dbg.ims_volte_enable 1
    setprop persist.vendor.dbg.volte_avail_ovr 1
    setprop persist.vendor.dbg.vt_avail_ovr 1
    setprop persist.vendor.dbg.wfc_avail_ovr 1

If you are unable to set those properties for whatever reason, like if you have returned to stock after flashing the mbn and no longer have root, there is another possibility to force VoLTE/VoWiFi; There's a secret code you can use to force-enable it, but unfortunately it does not survive a reboot (not sure why ASUS didn't make it persistent).
    Enter this in the dialler:
    Code:
    *#*#3642623344#*#*
    The number will clear itself, and you shouldn't see any output if it succeeded.
    When you have done this, go to (System) Settings -> Mobile network and toggle Mobile data off then on again. You should hopefully see the VoWiFi or VoLTE icon in the status bar now, but like I said above you will have to redo this if you reboot the phone - so if you can, please use the properties method instead.

Step 2 - making sure it works
    Before we begin, make sure you close down QPST, otherwise EfsTools will error out because there can not be two clients connected at once.
    Unzip EfsTools from above, open up a cmd window and cd to the directory where you extracted it. Depending on how you connect to diag you will need to modify EfsTools.exe.config - if you're connecting via USB you most likely won't have to do anything as it will find the port automatically, unless you have more than one port, in which case you can simply change port from Auto to the COM port of the phone (for example COM13).
    If you are connected via wifi you will need to change port to 2500 (or whatever port you used in the AsusVoLTE app) and remote to true. So the efstool line should look something like this:
    Code:
    <efstool port="2500" remote="true" baudrate="38400" password="FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" spc="000000"/>
    You can test the connection by running this in the cmd window:
    Code:
    EfsTools.exe efsInfo
    This should report back some info if everything is working. If not, try rebooting the device and redo the bits from the DIAG guide.

Step 3 - disabling mcfg
    Extract efs.zip from above to the same directory as EfsTools.exe, and make sure the mcfg_autoselect_by_uim file is there. Now simply run this in the cmd window, one line at a time:
    Code:
    EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim
    EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -s 1
    If everything worked you should see no error messages.

Step 4 - writing mbn
    If you are using the Xiaomi Mi 9T mbns zip from above, move it to the EfsTools directory and extract it. Now we simply need to find the mbn for your carrier.
    The mbn directory structure is generally laid out like this: <region>/<carrier>/commerci/<country>/mcfg_sw.mbn. For example, the one for my carrier is eu/h3g/commerci/se/mcfg_sw.mbn. Copy the mcfg_sw.mbn file to the same directory as the EfsTools.exe, then go to the cmd window you opened and type this:
    Code:
    EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -v
    To get it working on the second SIM slot you will also have to run this:
    Code:
    EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -s 1

If it has worked you should see a bunch of output, but no errors. Try rebooting now, and hopefully after it has booted you will have fully functional VoLTE and VoWiFi.

Source code:
    AsusVoLTE - Github
    EfsTools - Github

Let me know if this works for you, or if you have any questions.

Regards
    Hi. But when I root, which image do I use? That's where I'm most confused given the china version, tencent, republic of gamers, etc..
    There are only two variants: tencent and international (WW). You want the international boot image :)

Regarding something I said earlier: I've just received an update to the Android 10 beta, and after updating volte still works - so it looks like this will remain persistent even after doing an update.
    The AsusLTE app DOESN'T work anymore on Android 11 openbeta. So in order to get Diag mode up and running, you need to type this command line either on your phone running terminal or on your computer running adb Shell before proceeding to follow the instructions by the OP.

Code:
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb
    Works great for me thanks! I just got the phone and within an hour was able to:
    1. Unlock the bootloader
    2. Update to latest firmware
    3. Flash root boot image and install magisk
    4. Use OP's DIAG guide
    5. Use this VoLTE guide

Everything works! Thanks OP and to the rest of this phone's XDA community.
    Uh oh... Doesnt sound good for me and the other guy whos diag mode is now has efs locked or corrupted
    You can safely restore modem settings to default by clearing the modem partitions in the bootloader:
    Code:
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    This has been proven to bring back diag mode on @xbamaris1` device, so I've added this info to the diag guide.