[GUIDE]Failed OTA update installation with root/TWRP

der_Kief

Jul 2, 2014
Keŋɡɐ
sorry to ask this maybe already answered question again ... but i didnt found any useful information.
I'm on latest Global Version V11.0.22.0.QFQMIXM rooted with Magisk but stock recovery.
System partition has been mounted and modified ... probaly by used Magisk module(s)
So to update to a newer version i have do the steps described in initial post ... clearly so far.
But is this the only way or is it possible to do a direct update via fastboot or something similar ?
I thought this method is called Dirty flash ?

Hopefully someone can help me with this :)

Last edited:

papamobile9I

Jun 5, 2020
Running 11.0.10.0.QFQEUXM, mount count from both system_a and system_b is 0 after I followed Option #1, but I still can't install OTA updates. I managed to install stock boot.img modified with Magisk so I could get rid of TWRP to be safe.
Any ideas?

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009
Running 11.0.10.0.QFQEUXM, mount count from both system_a and system_b is 0 after I followed Option #1, but I still can't install OTA updates. I managed to install stock boot.img modified with Magisk so I could get rid of TWRP to be safe.
Any ideas?
Yes, flash stock boot.img as well. In most cases OTA update will not install with modified boot image.

papamobile9I

Jun 5, 2020
Yes, flash stock boot.img as well. In most cases OTA update will not install with modified boot image.
I just tried with the stock boot image.
The phone now can download the update correctly (with the modified boot it was throwing the error even before downloading it), but still throws the error at the end of the download.
Should I try option #2?

papamobile9I

Jun 5, 2020
Also I think there's something I should mention. I was flashing system.img on both slots, which is not the way this is supposed to work.

This is what I just did:

1 - Checked your current active slot (b in my case)
2 - Flash stock boot image on both slots
3 - Flash system.img on the current slot (b in my case)
4 - Flash system_other.img on the other slot (a in my case)

After this, OTA updates still throw me errors and I'm still unable to update.
Should I consider a factory reset at this point?

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009
I just tried with the stock boot image.
The phone now can download the update correctly (with the modified boot it was throwing the error even before downloading it), but still throws the error at the end of the download.
Should I try option #2?
You might have mixed versions of boot and system images. The best approach is:
a) re-flash whole fastboot ROM without data wipe, install OTA update, root the phone again
b) flash whole new fastboot ROM, root the phone again

papamobile9I

Jun 5, 2020
You might have mixed versions of boot and system images. The best approach is:
a) re-flash whole fastboot ROM without data wipe, install OTA update, root the phone again
b) flash whole new fastboot ROM, root the phone again
I figured it would be a problem, so I made sure to get everything from the same zip, which is this one:
So yeah I'm not doing anything wrong...(?)
Counters are still at 0, but it's just not working.

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009
Did that and didn't work, so I decided to try with a factory reset and.....it worked.
Apparently, once you increase the counter, you need a factory reset to get the updates back working.
That's very strange, I mounted system partition as R/W in the past by mistake, all I had do to fix it was to reflash system image and I could install every OTA update. I never had to do a factory reset to install OTA. But glad that you worked it out.