[GUIDE+FAQ] SLCD Desire bricked! Stuck with black screen.

Droidzone

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
That didnt work!

If his phone is unbranded I guess he won't need one.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
Got another error this time with the generic RUU!

Code:
Error[131]: Customer ID Error
The ROM Update utility cannot update your Android phone. Please get the correct ROM and try again.
Is there any way at all? :mad:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
If you're UNBRANDED and want to flash a BRANDED RUU then you WILL need a gold card. It's the same as wanting to debrand - you're trying to put an RUU that isn't meant for your device...the only time you won't need a gold card is flashing an RUU from the original software version

e.g. you're on x.xx.405.x and wanna flash x.xx.405.x - no gold card, x.xx.405.x and wanna flash x.xx.161.x - gold card needed

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
If you're UNBRANDED and want to flash a BRANDED RUU then you WILL need a gold card. It's the same as wanting to debrand - you're trying to put an RUU that isn't meant for your device...the only time you won't need a gold card is flashing an RUU from the original software version

e.g. you're on x.xx.405.x and wanna flash x.xx.405.x - no gold card, x.xx.405.x and wanna flash x.xx.161.x - gold card needed
Er..I'm Unbranded, and want to flash an Unbranded RUU only. The problem is that the RUU for SLCD that is posted on the "SLCD Brick Fix" page gives an error
Error[131]: Customer ID Error

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Customer ID error means you need a gold card so you do not have an unbranded handset

Try the RUU in my signature (2.29.405.2). It's the latest unbranded RUU so should work. If not then you're on a branded handset

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
Customer ID error means you need a gold card so you do not have an unbranded handset

Try the RUU in my signature (2.29.405.2). It's the latest unbranded RUU so should work. If not then you're on a branded handset
It still gave me a Cust ID Error.. I'm in the Doldrums now. Tried many of the ROMS. Listen, it cant be branded, unless it's some branding from HTC..None of the network operators sell phones in India, yet. I bought it from HTC. Can pressing the Sim Lock option inadvertently from Fastboot cause this? Dont ask me why. I was stupid enough to try and see what it would do, some time earlier. Does that lock your phone, making a goldcard imperative?

current ver 2.13.720.1
Do you wish to update to 2.29.405.2?
Cant be a version mismatch, can it?
Are they country specific? In that case I might need one for India

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
Code:
C:\Software\htc\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot oem gencheckpt
                              ... INFOsetup_tag addr=0xA0000100 cmdline add=0x8E
07D95C
INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK
INFOTAG:smi ok, size = 0
INFOTAG:hwid 0x0
INFOTAG:skuid 0x26A04
INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x0
INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x0
INFOMCP dual-die
INFOMCP dual-die
INFOTAG:mono-die = 0x0
INFODevice CID is not super CID
INFOCID is HTC__038
INFOsetting->cid::HTC__038
INFOserial number: SH08xxxxxxx
INFOcommandline from head: no_console_suspend=1 msmsdcc_sdioirq=
INFO1 wire.search_count=5
INFOcommand line length =465
INFOactive commandline: board_bravo.disable_uart3=0 board_bravo.
INFOusb_h2w_sw=0 board_bravo.disable_sdcard=0 diag.enabled=0 boa
INFOrd_bravo.debug_uart=0 smisize=0 userdata_sel=0 androidboot.e
INFOmmc=false  androidboot.baseband=5.09.05.30_2 androidboot.cid
INFO=HTC__038 androidboot.carrier=HTC-India androidboot.mid=PB99
INFO20000 androidboot.keycaps=qwerty androidboot.mode=recovery a
INFOndroidboot.serialno=SH08xxxxxxx androidboot.bootloader=0.82
INFO.0000 no_console_suspend=1 msmsdcc_sdioirq=1 wire.search_cou
INFOnt=5
INFOaARM_Partion[0].name=misc
INFOaARM_Partion[1].name=recovery
INFOaARM_Partion[2].name=boot
INFOaARM_Partion[3].name=system
INFOaARM_Partion[4].name=cache
INFOaARM_Partion[5].name=userdata
INFOpartition number=6
INFOValid partition num=6
INFOmpu_nand_acpu_rw 23A 1000
INFOjump_to_kernel: machine_id(2457), tags_addr(0x20000100), ker
INFOnel_addr(0x20008000)
INFO-------------------hboot boot time:592480 msec
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 13.250s

C:\Software\htc\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Last edited:

Rastaman-FB

Sep 2, 2010
this is branded,

its htc asia india.
its not the same as stock htc
stock htc would show HTC not htc inda

even though mine is debranded and also has a custom rom my fastboot oem gencheckpt shows this

fastboot oem gencheckpt

INFOmmc=false androidboot.baseband=5.11.05.27 androidboot.cid=O
INFO2___001 androidboot.carrier=O2-UK androidboot.mid=PB9920000

should always make a gold card

try this, boot it normally and leave it for 5 mins then connect to desktop and see if its actually got a usb connection
try and get a cid image from it using the goldcard tool
once done place the microSD into a reader and format it, and load the image into it
then put it back into the device and see if you can run any of the flashes that gave you a cid error.
it might be booting fully just with a blank screen

Last edited:
Reactions: fabio_220

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
this is branded,

its htc asia india.
its not the same as stock htc
stock htc would show HTC not htc inda

even though mine is debranded and also has a custom rom my fastboot oem gencheckpt shows this

fastboot oem gencheckpt

INFOmmc=false androidboot.baseband=5.11.05.27 androidboot.cid=O
INFO2___001 androidboot.carrier=O2-UK androidboot.mid=PB9920000
THank you.

The flash of 'RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_India_1.21.720.4_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_127705_signed.exe'
gives me an error of:
"ERROR 140:BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR"

This was the file I tried initially for unrooting

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
adb doesnt bring up the CID

Code:
C:\Software\htc\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1
/mmc1:*/cid
error: device not found

C:\Software\htc\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
There is a working USB connection. The flash detects the device. But apparently, adb cannot.

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
Please tell me there is another way to get a CID for goldcard

Or a way to patch the version of RUU for Asia_India, to replace or remove the bootloader version. Shouldnt this be possible, theoretically?

I have Nandroid backups if they may help patch the files.

Some more info, if it will help diagnose my problem..
Code:
C:\Software\htc\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 0.82.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 5.09.05.30_2
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: 051d
INFOversion-main: 2.13.720.1
INFOserialno: SH08APL0****
INFOimei: 35383304********
INFOproduct: bravo
INFOplatform: HBOOT-8x50
INFOmodelid: PB9920000
INFOcidnum: HTC__038
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4187mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: dirty-84704761
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.016s
Forgive me for the triple posts. In my desperation, I forgot to edit, and posted replies instead. Sorry for the bump..

Or is there a method to hard-flash a recovery?

Last edited:

Dragooon123

Aug 18, 2008
National Capital Region(NCR)
You're in the same shoes I was 3 weeks ago, to say the least, people here are stupid enough give you a repair/replacement(Especially quick if it hasn't been 2 weeks since you got the phone).

Anyway, HTC Desire bought from a retailer in India might not be visibly branded, but it is branded internally. So you need a goldcard to flash one of the newer RUUs with HBOOT 0.83 and the only India's RUU is the one with HBOOT 0.80.

But I created a goldcard with HTC Desire a few weeks ago just in case I manage to SLCD brick my phone, it is attached. Follow the guide for creating goldcard after the step in which you have obtained the goldcard.img.

Now note that this was created from my phone, I am not guaranteeing that this will work but I believe this is the second best chance you got(First being having your own goldcard) since it was created from a phone branded same as yours.

P.S. Make sure to extract it from the zip file to get the goldcard.img file.

Attachments

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
You're in the same shoes I was 3 weeks ago, to say the least, people here are stupid enough give you a repair/replacement(Especially quick if it hasn't been 2 weeks since you got the phone).

Anyway, HTC Desire bought from a retailer in India might not be visibly branded, but it is branded internally. So you need a goldcard to flash one of the newer RUUs with HBOOT 0.83 and the only India's RUU is the one with HBOOT 0.80.

But I created a goldcard with HTC Desire a few weeks ago just in case I manage to SLCD brick my phone, it is attached. Follow the guide for creating goldcard after the step in which you have obtained the goldcard.img.

Now note that this was created from my phone, I am not guaranteeing that this will work but I believe this is the second best chance you got(First being having your own goldcard) since it was created from a phone branded same as yours.

P.S. Make sure to extract it from the zip file to get the goldcard.img file.
I will try this right now. But I thought gold cards were specific for the card? Anyway, what's there to lose?

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
It won't make a difference since I never wrote that file to a sd card.

EDIT : I just realised what you meant, it was a Kingston Class 4 8GB.
Failed again! Apparently card and class does matter! I'm at my wit's end and totally lost. HTC doesnt even have a service centre in my city..

I know this might come as very, very inappropriate, but..Could you consider selling me your Gold Card via ebay or some other way? Put the cost as much as you like. Since the device is of same type, the Gold card ought to work. I honestly dont know any other way to recover my phone. Scoured XDA, Modaco and other sites for any info. Tried everything. Didnt know a Goldcard was so important. Didnt realize my HTC Desire was branded even! :mad: