[GUIDE+FAQ] SLCD Desire bricked! Stuck with black screen.

Droidzone

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
Well, have you tried getting a card of the same type of mentioned? Where are you?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
I have three cards..A Kingston 32Gb, 2Gb and a Transcend 4 Gb..

But from what I have read on forums, the CID is a unique 32 bit identifier which varies even among cards of the same Class, Capacity and Make. So I dont think it makes a difference if I buy the same card even. I've read posts of people trying it, and it failing. Apparently a gold card is unique!

I'm in Trivandrum. I've got an exam at PGI Chandigarh on 20th, so will be there at Delhi on 21st evening. But if you'd rather send it by mail, just send it by Cash on Demand, or I'll send the money in advance, and you can send it later..

Just consider it. Dont want to cause a burden...

I bought it online from Flipkart. They dont have aftersales. Am supposed to take it to HTC..

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
Thanks anyway for trying to help!

How did you solve your problem though?

EDIT: Apparently, HTC does have a new service centre in my city. Opened this week. Guess that was just for me! :) Returned it.

Last edited:

bhutanigaurav

Oct 16, 2010
Since you're receiving more replies on this thread than on mine, i'll put things up here.

1. Asia_India RUU will not work. I used the same RUU and it put me in the same boat as you. Delete that file
2. None of the RUUs from shipped-roms will work -- I tried them all the SLCD ones. This is because even though HTC is selling Desires unbranded and unlocked in India, it is really branded to Aisa - India.
3. You will need a gold card to be able to flash a RUU unless you manage to find the RUU file that the phone was shipped with -- I wasn't.

Try the following:
1. Switch on the phone. Let it be on for 3-4 minutes. Plug the phone into your computer.
2. Download this -- the gold card tool: http://android.modaco.com/content/so...-goldcardtool/
3. Go ahead and have the tool get the CID from the phone -- does this work??

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
Thanks for responding, @bhutanigaurav
You summarize quite correctly the problems facing an HTC Desire user in India. I had to find all this painfully, following up over hours, all the methods from a multitude of forums.

In short, if you have an HTC Desire from India. It's an SLCD, branded Asia_India. Make a goldcard as soon as you get the new phone. Else you're done for, if a problem occurs.

I feel that Making a Gold Card should be highlighted in Bold and Underlined in all Rooting guides. I used Unrevoked 3.21 for rooting, went as smooth as butter. Even doing an S-Off with Alpharev was smooth. You don't need a goldcard any time for that. It was only while flashing the RUU to revert to stock, that all the problems started.

As for me, I'm just back from returning my phone to HTC for warranty. I told them the phone restarted while doing the OTA to Froyo. I think they actually bought it.

I'm crossing my fingers.

A small note..If you read HTC's warranty policy that comes with the phone, and also the one on its Asia website, nowhere does it say that the warranty is void if you install a software. Even a flash. I went over the fine print with a magnifier, so to speak. So, even if someone gets into this fix, you can return it to HTC. You cant void your warranty that way. It's only when you subject the phone to physical stress or use unbranded accessories that you void your warranty. So, cheers!
(Do check your local warranty policy, though)

Thanks to everyone who offered help to me!

Aside: Theoretically, splicing the branded RUU for Asia_India: RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_India_1.21.720.4_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_127705_signed together with the newer HBoot version version RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.2_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_151783_signed, removing, adding and modifying files should do the trick. If only one can figure out a way to sign it with HTC's signature. But that might be difficult. I'm guessing it has a codex.. I'll leave it to the hacker pros..

So long..

Last edited:

bhutanigaurav

Oct 16, 2010
so you were s-off?! if you tried running the Asia_India RUU before you were S-Off, it wouldn't have let you run it. I tried before S-Off and it threw me an error. It's only when I had S-Off did it overwrite the hboot ---- at least this is what i think happened.

Anyway, you should now be getting a new piece so it's all good :)

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
so you were s-off?! if you tried running the Asia_India RUU before you were S-Off, it wouldn't have let you run it. I tried before S-Off and it threw me an error. It's only when I had S-Off did it overwrite the hboot ---- at least this is what i think happened.

Anyway, you should now be getting a new piece so it's all good :)
Yes, I was S-OFF with Alpharev, Rooted with Unrevoked 3.21. Never tried an RUU before. Just this time. Yes, I think S-OFF is what caused it to overwrite the boot and cause the SLCD brick. Damn. I didnt find S-OFF that useful either!

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
Since you're receiving more replies on this thread than on mine, i'll put things up here.

Try the following:
1. Switch on the phone. Let it be on for 3-4 minutes. Plug the phone into your computer.
2. Download this -- the gold card tool: http://android.modaco.com/content/so...-goldcardtool/
3. Go ahead and have the tool get the CID from the phone -- does this work??
Wont and didnt work. For creating a goldcard, you need the CID of device. Since I couldnt get adb to recognize the device (even though fastboot recognized it), I couldnt get the CID, hence no goldcard.

Dragooon123

Aug 18, 2008
National Capital Region(NCR)
Thanks anyway for trying to help!

How did you solve your problem though?

EDIT: Apparently, HTC does have a new service centre in my city. Opened this week. Guess that was just for me! :) Returned it.
I didn't, got a replacement.

And this entire problem happened because the RUU flashed a HBOOT < 0.83 which is incompatible with SLCD and hence you see nothing.

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
I didn't, got a replacement.

And this entire problem happened because the RUU flashed a HBOOT < 0.83 which is incompatible with SLCD and hence you see nothing.
They replaced the phone itself? I thought HTC should have the right RUU? Couldnt they have flashed it? My tech says he's going to flash it. I'm waiting to see if he can.

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
Nyah they replaced it, got a replacement in 2 days.
You were lucky to get it in two. My techs are saying its a display problem and are trying to replace the panel. I let it play for a while, since I have to keep up the show of not knowing too much about the device! :rolleyes:

It's now more than a week, so I put the pressure on HTC..They've given the service centre a timeframe of 2 more days to replace the panel and repair it. HTC says it will work after panel is replaced. I know it wont, but let's see.. :)

coolexe

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2008
THank you.

The flash of 'RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_India_1.21.720.4_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_127705_signed.exe'
gives me an error of:
"ERROR 140:BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR"

This was the file I tried initially for unrooting
You can't ever use an RUU with a lower version of hboot....u need to have gold card for that...

Last edited:

vpraveenis

Jun 25, 2010
I faced a similar situation when I was trying to root my SLCD India desire the first time. My Nandroid backup failed to restore and I flashed an RUU that bricked the LCD. Had a harrowing 48hours after which it finally came back to life. In that process I made a gold-card with one of the 3 cards that I have. I dont remember which one and have a few questions regarding gold card process which I feel will help others also.

1. The CID - is that unique to the Phone or to the sd card?? Meaning, if I insert different SD card into the phone, will I get different CID for each SD?? Which is the differentiating factor... Device or SD card??

2. If I just have the CID of my current sd card saved, I can create the gold card wihtout the Device right? Apart from obtaining the CID, the device is not invlolved until the RUU flashing process? So in effect, a gold card can be created at a later time if required, if the CID is available. Correct?

3. If i create a gold card with another Desire, can it be used in my device to flash a generic RUU??

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
I faced a similar situation when I was trying to root my SLCD India desire the first time. My Nandroid backup failed to restore and I flashed an RUU that bricked the LCD. Had a harrowing 48hours after which it finally came back to life. In that process I made a gold-card with one of the 3 cards that I have. I dont remember which one and have a few questions regarding gold card process which I feel will help others also.

1. The CID - is that unique to the Phone or to the sd card?? Meaning, if I insert different SD card into the phone, will I get different CID for each SD?? Which is the differentiating factor... Device or SD card??
Yes. The factor is the memory card and the model of device. Desires of different countries will have different CIDs too. And different memory cards will have different CIDs.

2. If I just have the CID of my current sd card saved, I can create the gold card wihtout the Device right? Apart from obtaining the CID, the device is not invlolved until the RUU flashing process? So in effect, a gold card can be created at a later time if required, if the CID is available. Correct?
Yes

3. If i create a gold card with another Desire, can it be used in my device to flash a generic RUU??
If it is a Desire of the same region, yes.

Droidzone

Sep 24, 2010
Kochi
www.droidzone.in
I faced a similar situation when I was trying to root my SLCD India desire the first time. My Nandroid backup failed to restore and I flashed an RUU that bricked the LCD. Had a harrowing 48hours after which it finally came back to life. In that process I made a gold-card with one of the 3 cards that I have.
How? Were you able to get into Recovery and issue an Adb command? My device wasnt able to. Probably because of RUU flash on top of a S-OFF.

Update on my Desire: They tried changing the display to AMOLED, and tried reflashing. Apparently it still didnt work. I could have told them that they needed a goldcard for that. Now, they're going to replace the board.

coolexe

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2008
How? Were you able to get into Recovery and issue an Adb command? My device wasnt able to. Probably because of RUU flash on top of a S-OFF.

Update on my Desire: They tried changing the display to AMOLED, and tried reflashing. Apparently it still didnt work. I could have told them that they needed a goldcard for that. Now, they're going to replace the board.
bro u can't downgrade ur downloader with shipped ruu... u still have latest hboot 93...but u can not see it coz ur flashing process has been failed in my way if u r able to access fastboot mode than surely u have an chance...

I'm getting same prob. After flashing HTC India ruu... but luck by chance I have gold card...than I will try HTC WWE n its worked... I already sent u a pm... for some GK

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App