[GUIDE][FIRMWARE] QLink Scepter 8 (Gen 1 & Gen 2) Factory Firmware Restoration & Upgrading Guide

How many members find the Gen 2 Scepter 8 to be an overall improvement over the Gen 1 model?

• 1. Huge Improvement

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 2. Some Improvement

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 3. No Improvement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Unsure. The jury is still out.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

emmieb

So are there any other sources for this firmware? I haven't been able to get it since I have been following this thread. I'm trying to fix my nieces pos tablet, she's five and she doesn't have another one to use in the meantime. Hard to believe this is the only source for this fw, but for the life of me I can't find a damn thing. Anyone have any suggestions? Would be much appreciated. Thanks

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Recognized Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
So are there any other sources for this firmware? I haven't been able to get it since I have been following this thread. I'm trying to fix my nieces pos tablet, she's five and she doesn't have another one to use in the meantime. Hard to believe this is the only source for this fw, but for the life of me I can't find a damn thing. Anyone have any suggestions? Would be much appreciated. Thanks
Which tablet do you have? The Gen 1 or Gen 2? Also, what are the first 2 letters of your serial number?

geekonabeach

Feb 1, 2023
I’ve bricked it so hard that fastboot and recovery won’t come up. Only a blank screen with a bright backlight.

It says it’s an A100 chip with MD as a startling S/N

Can you link me with the firmware needed.

Last edited:

geekonabeach

Feb 1, 2023

I would have sworn that this tablet had the v9 and at one point I saw that it had an A133 chip in some recovery logs but I failed to document that. So we downloaded the v9 from before and we can’t get it to take under any route you’ve got.

Thanks for the firmware and I’ll try it tonight.
Attached you find the full SN.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Recognized Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
I would have sworn that this tablet had the v9 and at one point I saw that it had an A133 chip in some recovery logs but I failed to document that. So we downloaded the v9 from before and we can’t get it to take under any route you’ve got.

Thanks for the firmware and I’ll try it tonight.
Attached you find the full SN
You may have been running.a newer build than the v06 I sent. Your label indicates that the v06 is the correct package for your model, so it should flash properly. Here is a link also for the v09 build, but keep in mind that it is for the S/N CF model.

Last edited:

geekonabeach

Feb 1, 2023
Bad news. I think we have our first bricked in a hard way tablet.
We have done every method that’s here and any other method, we’ve used every computer we have (Mac, archlinux, raspberry pi os, windows 10, the sd card, and crossed fingers mediums) but to no avail. We made sure the drivers were correct and used the logs to see activity but for not.
All we can get it to do is turn on with a blank but brightly lit screen and nothing more.
We can get it to be recognized in FES mode with the button presses method, but the programs time out like it can’t then transmit to the tablet. Like it’s not able to receive.
So we tested the cables and the connector on the board and sound no fault there.

At one point this thing work. Now it sets bricked and cannot find anything recommended to get it out of it.

So before you go asking, we have read the forums countless times, did EXACTLY as described multiple times and used the correct firmware (v6 then v9 for the trill) with no life being breathed in to the thing.

What ideas you have?

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Recognized Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
Bad news. I think we have our first bricked in a hard way tablet.
We have done every method that’s here and any other method, we’ve used every computer we have (Mac, archlinux, raspberry pi os, windows 10, the sd card, and crossed fingers mediums) but to no avail. We made sure the drivers were correct and used the logs to see activity but for not.
All we can get it to do is turn on with a blank but brightly lit screen and nothing more.
We can get it to be recognized in FES mode with the button presses method, but the programs time out like it can’t then transmit to the tablet. Like it’s not able to receive.
So we tested the cables and the connector on the board and sound no fault there.

At one point this thing work. Now it sets bricked and cannot find anything recommended to get it out of it.

So before you go asking, we have read the forums countless times, did EXACTLY as described multiple times and used the correct firmware (v6 then v9 for the trill) with no life being breathed in to the thing.

What ideas you have?
Well, I'm a staunch believer in the concept that Allwinnwer tablets cannot be hard bricked from user-end modifications. So the tablet is being recognized and flashing commences, but the process times out? That is an odd behavior I have not yet heard of.
Have you by any chance tried Method 4 with PhoenixCard? It allows you to flash the firmware image from an SD card.

geekonabeach

Feb 1, 2023
Well, I'm a staunch believer in the concept that Allwinnwer tablets cannot be hard bricked from user-end modifications. So the tablet is being recognized and flashing commences, but the process times out? That is an odd behavior I have not yet heard of.
Have you by any chance tried Method 4 with PhoenixCard? It allows you to flash the firmware image from an SD card.
Yes. And it will not run in at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    QLink Scepter 8 Tablet
    Gen 1 & Gen 2 Models

Factory Firmware Restoration
    And Upgrading Guide

Picsart_23-05-10_07-15-47-402.png

OVERVIEW:
    The manufacturer of this tablet, Hot Pepper Mobile, has graciously provided me with some factory firmware images for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 models of the QLink Scepter 8. Accordingly, I wanted to follow up with a comprehensive guide for performing a full firmware restoration and/or upgrading the firmware to a newer build version. This guide can be used to restore a device stuck in a boot loop, a bricked device, or a device which has become unstable due to issues with the Android OS or corresponding firmware. This guide can also be used for members who wish to upgrade the firmware from an earlier build version.
    This guide will be outlined to provide four firmware installation methods, all of which will focus on a Windows-based setup: (1) PhoenixUSB Pro; (2) LiveSuit; (3) PhoenixSuit; and (4) PhoenixCard. These four utilities were developed and released by Allwinner Technology Co, LTD. As such, each proprietary tool provides a comprehensive solution for restoring your device to its stock factory state. While any of the four outlined methods will ultimately achieve the same end result, members may find that one particular utility is simpler to use or works better than the others. In short, versatility is the focal point. The first three methods are standard proprietary strategies for flashing vendor-specific firmware images to eMMC NAND storage. These tools flash your tablet from a powered-off state known as FEL mode, a proprietary flashing protocol based on BROM. It should be noted here that some members have experienced device recognition issues while using PhoenixUSB Pro, PhoenixSuit and LiveSuit. For members who are experiencing insurmountable device recognition issues, I e. the flash tool not recognizing your tablet once it is in the powered off FEL flash mode, I have included a new section in the instructions for installing the proper Allwinner FEL mode drivers. This section should remedy any such device recognition problems. Also, the 4th method, PhoenixCard, may provide you with a viable solution to device recognition problems. PhoenixCard enables users to write a full firmware image to a micro SD card which, in turn, is inserted into the tablet's micro SD card slot. The tablet is then booted, at which time the firmware image on external storage is written to NAND/eMMC flash memory, thus fully restoring the tablet to its factory state. The PhoenixCard method is ideal for users with unresolved device recognition issues, or in scenarios where the partition index has incurred major corruption and fails during standard firmware restoration procedures.

HARDWARE VARIANTS:
    There are a four (4) different variants of the QLink Scepter 8, categorized under the two (2) primary hardware models Gen 1 & Gen 2. The original Gen 1 model, released in April, 2021, shipped with an Allwinner-A100 chipset, 1 GB RAM, and Android 11 (Go Edition) preinstalled. The latest Gen 2 model, released in mid-July, 2022, ships with an upgraded Allwinner-A133 chipset, 2 GB RAM, and runs on Android 12 (Go Edition). Regardless of which gen model you own, your device serial number will begin either with the two letters MD or the two letters CF. Hence, there are two variants of the original Gen 1 model, and two variants of the latest Gen 2 model. I am referencing these models and variants in order to emphasize that they are not intercompatible in terms of firmware. Determining your variant is very simple: if your tablet has Android 11 (Go Edition), you have the original Gen 1 model. And, if you are running on Android 12 (Go Edition), you have the latest Gen 2 model. Once you determine which model you own, simply check the first two letters of your device S/N to determine the variant. To avoid confusion and potential firmware mismatches, I have categorized the firmware images under their corresponding models in the downloads section. These sections have further been subdivided under the appropriate S/N variants. Ensure that you download the correct package based on your S/N variant. Otherwise, the Allwinner proprietary flash tools used in this guide will not commence with the flashing process.
    INSTALLING ADB & FASTBOOT:
    While this step is not absolutely required in order to perform a firmware restoration of the QLink Scepter 8, it's a good idea to go ahead and get this taken care of for future needs (e.g., unlocking the bootloader and rooting, if you plan on performing those tasks later on). If you do not plan on later unlocking your bootloader or achieving root access, or if you already have ADB & Fastboot configured, you may simply skip this section and proceed to the next section on installing the Allwinner USB drivers.
    All of the flash tools referenced in this tutorial are capable of restoring a QLink Scepter 8 which is bricked (a tablet which is unable to boot to the Android OS, and/or unable to boot into either recovery or fastboot mode).​
    1. Download the 15-Second ADB Installer v1.5.6 from the link below. Extract the contents of the archive to a folder on your desktop, or to another convenient directory.​
    2. Open the utility and press the "Y" key when prompted to install the ADB & Fastboot drivers.​
    3. Select "Y" again when prompted to install ADB as system-wide.​
    4. Next, you will be given an option to install USB device drivers. Once again, press the "Y" key. A Device Drivers Installation Wizard window will be launched.​
    5. Click the Next box in the lower right-hand section. If you receive a red warning notification that the drivers are unsigned, choose the option to install anyway. The Google universal USB device drivers will be installed on your computer.​
    6. It' is recommended to reboot your PC or laptop once you see the notification that the drivers were successfully installed. That's it. Your Windows computer should now be configured with the ADB & Fastboot tools as well as the Google universal device drivers.​

INSTALLING ALLWINNER USB DRIVERS:
    The first three firmware flashing tools outlined in this guide -- PhoenixUSB Pro, LiveSuit and PhoenixSuit -- restore factory firmware by flashing the NAND/eMMC directly, with the device in a powered-off emergency flashing state known as FEL mode. FEL mode is the Allwinner proprietary firmware flashing protocol based on the hardware embedded Boot ROM (BROM) implementation. All three of these tools utilize FEL mode when flashing firmware to your tablet's NAND/eMMC internal storage device. FEL mode is initiated one of two ways: (1) if the tablet is booted into the Android OS while connected to your computer, the tool will recognize your device, via USB Debugging, and once firmware flashing is ready to commence, the tool will boot your tablet into FEL flash mode which, again, is a powered off state; or (2) if your device is bricked, stuck in a boot loop, or is otherwise unable to boot up, FEL mode can be initiated manually by performing a particular hardware key sequence while connecting the powered-off device to your computer. This key sequence is outlined below in the instructions. In either scenario, your tablet will not be recognized by whichever flash tool you are using unless the proper drivers are installed on your Windows PC or laptop.

Typically, on both Windows 10 and 11, generic drivers bundled with the operating system will enable proper recognition of your tablet while in FEL flash mode. However, because some members have encountered issues with the Scepter 8 being recognized by these flash tools (while in FEL mode), I am including this section to ensure proper Allwinner USB driver installation on your Windows computer, before we get started with the flashing procedure.​
    1. Download the Allwinner FEL Driver v1.0.0 from the link provided below, and extract the contents of the archived file to your desktop or another convenient directory;​
    2. Right click on either the dpinst_x86.exe file (for 32-bit Windows), or the dpinst_x64.exe file (for 64-bit Windows), and choose to run the application as an administrator;​
    3. Follow the prompts on the driver installation wizard to install and configure the drivers on your computer. Once complete, a notification will indicate that the installation was successful;​
    4. Select Finish and reboot your computer. Your tablet should now be recognized by the respective flash tool while in FEL mode, thus enabling the firmware restoration process to properly commence.​

DISCLAIMER:
    This guide involves flashing the partitions of your device with stock firmware. As such, there are always risks involved. By proceeding further, you are assuming sole responsibility and liability for the integrity and operability of your tablet. I am not responsible or liable in the event you damage your device or render it otherwise inoperable on the basis of this guide. Follow the instructions carefully and I'm confident things will go smoothly. If there is something you are unclear about, this thread is noob-friendly, so feel free to ask questions in comments.
    Furthermore, some of the firmware restoration methods outlined below will result in all user data being wiped on your device. Before proceeding, and if possible, make a backup up any important files and media that you wish to preserve.

I. METHOD 1
    PhoenixUSB Pro For Windows

PREREQUISITES:
    For prerequisites, you will need a PC or laptop running on Windows 7/8.1/10/11, the latest PhoenixUSBPro v4.0.0 flash tool (I have provided a link below), the OEM-supplied or a quality equivalent micro USB to USB-A data sync cable, and a factory firmware image that corresponds with your tablet variant (links provided below). In this first section, we will be using PhoenixUSBPro v4.0.0 for Windows. This particular tool is ideal for firmware restoration on devices which are either bricked or otherwise unable to boot into the Android OS. Enabling USB Debugging beforehand is not required, as this tool recognizes the device and initiates firmware installation from a powered-off state, via FEL mode.
    Also, this guide assumes that you have already installed the correct USB device drivers on your Windows computer.

FIRMWARE RESTORATION/UPGRADE
    This will restore your device to its stock factory configuration, removing any system-level mods, root binaries, custom software, etc. These steps can also be followed to upgrade your firmware in the event you are running an older firmware build version.​
    1. Download PhoenixUSBPro v4.0.0 from the link below and extract the contents of the archived file to your computer desktop or to another directory which is easily accessible;​
    2. Download the correct stock firmware package for your tablet variant from the link below and extract the firmware image (.img file) to a convenient directory on your computer;​
    3. Power off your Scepter 8 tablet;​
    4. In the directory where you extracted the flash tool, open PhoenixUSBPro.exe. Once it launches, click on the Image box in the upper left of the interface. A file explorer will be launched. Navigate to the directory where you saved the firmware image (.img file). Select the image and then click Open in the lower right section of the window;​
    5. Now, click the Start button located in the upper section of the interface. A large green checkmark will appear in the upper right-hand corner, indicating that the firmware is now ready for installation;​
    6. Connect the USB data sync cable to your computer, but not yet to your tablet. Ensuring it is powered off, hold the Volume Down key on your tablet and connect the data sync cable to the micro USB port. While continuing to hold Volume Down, tap the Power key continuously until PhoenixUSB Pro recognizes your device, then release Volume Down. You will know your device has been recognized by an on-screen prompt indicating that the firmware installation is initiating;​
    7. The flashing process typically takes about four minutes. A progress bar on the PhoenixUSB Pro interface will show the percentage of completion in real time. When complete, you will see a green checkmark and a notification that the installation has finished;​
    8. Now, close the PhoenixUSBPro flash tool and disconnect your tablet from your computer. That's it. Upon reboot, your tablet will be reverted to its stock factory state and running on an unmodified stock firmware build.​
    Factory Firmware Images

NOTE: Take note that the version numbers of these firmware packages are arbitrary and a bit haphazard in terms of their chronological meaning. I have provided the most current firmware package for each of the four variations of the Scepter 8, notwithstanding the ambiguity of the version numbers assigned by the manufacturer. For instance, the v11 package for the Gen 1 CF model was released after the v13 package for the Gen 1 MD model, despite v11 having a seemingly older nomenclature than v13. Also, take note that the Gen 2 MD variant firmware has a version of v01, despite several previous builds also being assigned the v01 version number. In short, give no credence to version numbers here. To determine the chronology of releases, focus instead on the release dates cited in the package names provided below.​
    Gen 1 Models
    MD SERIAL NUMBER VARIANT
    Build: Scepter8_tablet_v11_20221213

CF SERIAL NUMBER VARIANT
    Build: Scepter8_tablet_v13_20221212

Gen 2 Models
    CF SERIAL NUMBER VARIANT
    Build: Scepter8_Tablet_v04_20230725

MD SERIAL NUMBER VARIANT
    Build: Scepter8_Tablet_v01_20230526

$$ DONATIONS $$
    I do not expressly request or expect donations from members for my work. I adhere firmly to the open source and free use spirit of the Android OS. With that said, for any members who want to donate something, it would be a huge help. Firmware images for both the Gen 1 & Gen 2 Scepter 8 tablet models were previously unreleased to the public. It took several weeks of discussions with Hot Pepper Mobile Tech Support and its CEO, Mr. Shawn Sun, to obtain official firmware images for this tablet.
    This is my CashApp link where you can give as little as $1. For those unable to help financially, I understand. A tap on the thanks button, however, doesn't cost a thing. 😁
    PayPal Donation Link

CashApp Donation Link

II. METHOD 2
    PhoenixSuit For Windows

PREREQUISITES:
    As with the previous section, you will need a PC or laptop running Windows 7/8.1/10/11, the OEM-supplied or a quality equivalent micro USB to USB-A data syncing cable, the PhoenixSuit v1.10 flashing utility (link provided below), and a factory firmware image for your QLink Scepter 8 variant (links provided above). This section presumes that the correct USB device drivers are installed on your Windows computer. If you have not installed these, see my section above titled INSTALLING ALLWINNER USB DRIVERS, then return here once you have completed those instructions.

FIRMWARE RESTORATION/UPGRADE:
    1. Download PhoenixSuit v1.10 from the link above and extract the contents of the archived file to your computer desktop, or to another directory which is easily accessible;​
    2. Download the correct stock firmware package for your tablet variant from the link above, and extract the firmware image (.img file) to a convenient directory on your computer;​
    3. Launch/Open PhoenixSuit by double clicking PhoenixSuit.exe from the directory you extracted in the first step;​
    4. Click on the Firmware tab in the top section of the interface and click on the blue Image tab. Windows File Explorer will be launched; navigate to the location of the firmware .img file you downloaded and extracted in the second step;​
    5. Power off your tablet;​
    6. Connect your data sync cable to your PC but not to your tablet. Hold Volume Down and, while continuing to hold the key, connect the micro USB end of the data sync cable to your tablet. Now tap the Power button (up to ten times) until PhoenixSuit indicates recognition of your device;​
    7. You will be prompted to perform a mandatory format. Select Yes to proceed;​
    8. PhoenixSuit will initiate the firmware installation. Once complete, an Upgrade Firmware Succeed notification will be displayed. Press Ok to finish the process.​
    9. Disconnect and reboot your device. . Your tablet should be now be restored to its factory stock state.​
    III. METHOD 3
    LiveSuit For Windows

Like the previous two methods, LiveSuit is a proprietary NAND flash tool developed and released by Allwinner Technology. LiveSuit is available for the Windows, Mac and Linux operating system platforms. This particular guide, however, will focus strictly on a Windows setup. You can download LiveSuit for both the Mac and Linux platforms here: https://androidmtk.com/download-livesuit-all-versions
    The tools available for download are trusted, verified, and have been thoroughly scanned for viruses and other types of malicious code. A comprehensive guide for using LiveSuit for Linux can be found here: https://linux-sunxi.org/LiveSuit
    Without further ado,.let us proceed with LiveSuit for Windows.

PREREQUISITES:
    Once again, you will need a PC or laptop running on Windows 7/8.1/10/11; the factory-supplied or a quality equivalent micro USB to USB-A data syncing cable; LiveSuitPack v1.11 (link available above); a firmware image compatible with your model/variant of the QLink Scepter 8 (links provided above); and the proper USB device drivers installed on your Windows computer. If you have not yet installed the drivers, follow my section above titled INSTALLING ALLWINNER USB DRIVERS. Return here after following those steps.

1. Download LiveSuitPack v1.11 from the DOWNLOADS section above. Extract the contents of the archive to a folder on your desktop or to another convenient directory;​
    2. Download a firmware package compatible with your model/variant of the Scepter 8. In the simplest terms, if your tablet shipped with Android 11 Go Edition, then you must use a firmware package that corresponds with the Android 11 Go Edition build. If you have the newer variant that shipped with Android 12 Go Edition, then use firmware from that heading only. Once downloaded, extract the .img firmware file from the archive and save it to your desktop or another easily accessible location;​
    3. Open the LiveSuit flash tool by double clicking LiveSuitv1.11.exe in the directory you extracted in the first step. Once launched, select YES to follow the Upgrade Wizard;​
    4. Click the Upgrade Mode tab and then select Mandatory;
    5. Disconnect any connected mobile devices from your computer, and select Next;
    6. Select the Yes option, then.Next, and select the firmware .img file you extracted in the second step. Now click Yes but do not select Finish;
    7. Ensure your tablet is powered off. Connect the data sync cable to your PC but not yet to your tablet. Hold the Volume Down button on your tablet. While continuing.to hold the botton, connect the micro USB end of the data sync cable to your tablet. Without releasing the Volume Down button, press the Power key 5 to 10 times, or until you are notified by LiveSuit that your tablet has been recognized. Click Yes to proceed with firmware installation;​
    8. A progress bar on the LiveSuit interface will reflect the percentage of completion in real time. Once complete, an Upgrade Succeeds notification will be shown. Click Ok and then Exit.
    9. Reboot your tablet, which should now be restored to its stock factory state.​

IV. METHOD 4
    PhoenixCard for Windows

PREREQUISITES:
    As referenced previously, PhoenixCard is an Allwinner proprietary tool for burning a factory firmware image onto an external storage medium such as a micro SD card. In turn, the micro SD card is inserted into the tablet's card slot. Once the tablet is powered on, the firmware image burned to the micro SD card will then be written to the tablet's eMMC flash storage, thus restoring the device to its stock factory condition
    As you may have guessed, you will need a PC or laptop running Windows 7/8.1/10/11; a micro SD card with a recommended minimum capacity of 8 GB; a USB-type micro SD card reader/writer; a compatible factory firmware image for your tablet (links provided above); and the PhoenixCard v4.2.4 image burning tool (link provided above).

1. Ensure that you have no external storage devices, mobile devices, or any other USB-type devices connected to your PC or laptop;​
    2. Download a factory firmware image from the downloads section above that is compatible with your tablet variant. Save the image on your computer desktop or another convenient directory;​
    3. Download the PhoenixCard v4.2.4 image burning tool onto your Windows computer. Extract the contents of the archive to a folder on your desktop or to another easily accessible location;​
    4. Double click PhoenixCard.exe to launch the tool;​
    5. Place your micro SD card into a suitable card reader/writer and connect it to your PC or laptop;.​
    6. Click on the Img File box located in the upper-left section of the PhoenixCard interface;​
    7. Select the firmware image (.img file) you downloaded in the second step;​
    8. Click the box marked Burn in the lower left section of the interface. The firmware image will be burned to the micro SD card. The process can take from 5 to 10 minutes to complete, at which time the output window of the interface will indicate Burn End;
    9. Remove the micro SD card from the card reader and insert it into the micro SD card slot of your QLink Scepter 8.tablet. Ensure that your tablet is powered off;​
    10. To begin the firmware installation process, long press your power button. Your tablet display will show a progress bar indicating that the firmware image on the micro SD card is being written to eMMC flash memory;​
    11. Once the process is complete, remove the micro SD card from your tablet and boot the device normally.​
    Upon reboot, your QLink Scepter 8 should be restored to its factory stock state.
    New firmware builds will be released for both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 models in July. I'll update the download links as soon as I have the new firmware.
    Firmware builds for all models & variants are now available via the download links in the OP. The remaining dead links will be fixed very shortly .
    I also have the same build and stuff. The link on the first page, the modified boot file is missing, and also the firmware downloads are missing or else I just make my own

Edit: not missing but mega took it down
    Does your serial number begin with CF? If so, you can use any firmware from the Android 12 "CF" heading. I will be repairing all firmware links tonight, as well as links to the root boot images.
    Firmware builds for all models & variants are now available via the download links in the OP. The remaining dead links will be fixed very shortly .
    Thank you for uploading them =)