[Guide] Fix adb - device is offline error

Search This thread

maxritz

Mar 7, 2013
Had the same problem on my q1010i.
1) Killed all the adb.exe active
2) Killed Moborobo and mobilego from taskmanager.
3) I changed the usb port

It works now.

MrCancela

Apr 25, 2008
Montevideo
Hello, I have an LG F180L with Android 4.4.2 and when I run adb devices it appears offline. However I have not this problem with my Galaxy S4 (Android 4.4.2 also). I have tried using different USB 2.0 ports and sdk is updated. I will be grateful if someone could help me.

jkolner

Sep 8, 2009
Aalborg
Tried everything, change usb cable, update adb, different usb port.
It turned out to be some USB 3 drivers that had some how been installed. Disabled them in Device Manager and adb is online again.

Reactions: SDJ ROCKS

ivancorpiz

Feb 11, 2013
as far as I know adb doesn't work in bootloader mode.

It works for me - maybe another solution :cyclops:

I use gt-s5360 cm11 with my own mods
I lost adb connection to windows so I can't work, then:

device connect to pc/laptop
go to CWM
advanced
power off
wait reboot!
yes! windows reconize my device again > android Phone > SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface

thanks everybody for your tutorials

hinix

Jan 2, 2009
Peterborough
www.pdaforum.pl
I have same problem like others here. Nexus 5 16GB. ROM Cataclysm (5.1), kernel; ElementalX. I already updated adb to 1.0.31. Tried restart device, adb server, computer. I can't find file with keys in my device. I don't have a /data/misc/adb directory. I tired 2 diferent cables (from Z1 i Note3. I don't have stock cable now), 3 different ports (both 3.0 and 2.0), even via hub to be sure. And is still ofline. I tried revoke permission, turn off/on debug mode. My operating system to Win7 x64. Debugging aplication from Android Studio works perfects. At first debug i saw question about allow fingerprint on Nexus. But still is offline in comand line.

What can I should try?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Problem solved. From few years I'm using only adb.exe and two dll's. It's from times before I started some app developing. These files works great with my every phone. I put them to /System32 or /SysWOW64 for easiest usage. I updated this exe. Few minutes ago I found /platform-tools from SDK. I tried adb.exe (it's 1.0.32) from this location and it WORKS! At first sho i get psecurity pop-up. Now my 'old' version works too.

I do another quick research (revoke permission, try again with 'my old' 1.031 - nothing, download from Internet 1.0.32, manual update 'old one', restart cmd, and I get pop-up and everything works. So my conclusion is:

To get security pop-up on the device we need adb version 1.0.32 instead of 1.0.31 like nouvelle-adr wrote here:
This security mechanism protects user devices because it ensures that USB debugging and other adb commands cannot be executed unless you're able to unlock the device and acknowledge the dialog.
This requires that you haveadb version 1.0.31 (available with SDK Platform-tools r16.0.1 and higher) in order to debug on a device running Android 4.2.2 or higher.

Funny thing is that about 1.0.31 Google wrote on devs page:
Note: When you connect a device running Android 4.2.2 or higher to your computer, the system shows a dialog asking whether to accept an RSA key that allows debugging through this computer. This security mechanism protects user devices because it ensures that USB debugging and other adb commands cannot be executed unless you're able to unlock the device and acknowledge the dialog. This requires that you have adb version 1.0.31 (available with SDK Platform-tools r16.0.1 and higher) in order to debug on a device running Android 4.2.2 or higher.
Source: http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html

Anyway - form me works adb 1.0.32

sebastjanp

Feb 1, 2011
Pivka
Wooorks

With the new secure adb I had an issue:

(I was transferring data to a new harddrive and in the process:)

I deleted my /home/me/.android/ (somewhere in \Users\me\AppData\ on windows) folder because I thought I didnt need anything in it.

Then I wanted to pull some files from my CM10.1 nightly device per adb.
It said: "error: device offline" when trying to access it.

Now, the computers adb key was gone with the userdata folder of the sdk (the .android folder) and access was denied. But somehow whatever manages the authorization questions thought that this computer was still trusted and did not ask for a new authorization.

To fix that I did the following:

delete the computers adb key: rm /data/misc/adb/adb_key on device

(I have no idea if in case of multiple authorized computers the additional keys are in a new line of the file or if they are in new files. I have only 1 computer.)

stop all adb processes "killall adb" in linuxoids and "taskkill /IM adb.exe" in windows or simply the taskmanager in both.

restart the phone

toggle usb debugging off and on

connect

use adb

click authorize

works

In my case it was even nastier because my sdk userdata folder ~/.android (on small ssd) was a symlink to /data/home/me/.android (on a huge drive for the emulators, android-sources and stuff)
and the symlink pointed to a nonexisting path which prevented saving any sdk settings.
On deleting the symlink or recreating the folder it should work.

Thanks I was loosing my mind :D

vikrantsingh47

Aug 16, 2014
this was simple in my case

in terminal emulator, i did
Code:
setprop service.adb.tcp.port -1 
su
stop adbd
start adbd

i just terminated the adb.exe process in task manager, and connected my phone back. enter "adb devices" and it worked. i am on windows 10.

Reactions: ffenriz

Rohganthompson

Sep 8, 2015
Xperia Z3 Same problem!

Well i tried to root my Z3 and failed.
im new to Android and how it all works, thought following a tutorial would be ok but i must have gone wrong somewhere....

Basically i am able to get to recovery (clockworks (Or somthing)
i have SDK all set up and drivers etc. my cmd window picks up my device "adb devices"

List of devices ......
BHSDASD"!£$!£$142 < > OFFLINE!

I have tried every soloution on this thread (Thank you all btw) But i still cant get it to work... and i need my phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i realy wanted to root it but ended up somehow removing everything on the phone, it says No OS when i go to "System" in recovery
and when i go to boot up obviously it either gets stuck on 1 of the load screens or it Boot loops! i can enter the "Connect usb and hold ^ vol" mode (bootloader?)
And i can get to recovery press up and down volume 1 after another.

My brain is frazzeled i have spent 10 hours serching the web trying to fix it... or atleast get a better understanding but everything here i have tried and no luck please help me!

Reactions: aguy46

JaS H

Nov 8, 2015
Fix adb device offline error.

I was using adb version 1.0.26. It worked fine in my 5.0 and 4.0 devices until I installed Android studio and SDK. After installing them, the 'adb devices' command returned device ID with status as 'offline' in my 5.0 device, while the 4.0 device was shown as 'Device' which obviously means it's online. Then I have tried with adb version 1.0.32. which returned both as 'Device'.
I think, the Android SDK should be up to date if the 1.0.26 or any other older version than 1.0.31 is used. There came no problem before installing the SDK. But if it is installed, it should be up to date for the older adb-s to function properly. Else adb should be 1.0.31 or higher.

I have tested it with the most possible sdk updates. 1.0.32 version works very well.

Last edited:

kpoccep

Nov 5, 2012
How to access adb in boot mode?

I have Amazon Fire HDX 8.9 4gen, I ****ed up, and now it's in endless loading. I installed and try to conect adb, it shows device is unauthorized, when I make adb kill-server and adb devices it shows offline. I installed drivers from amazon site, and adb from a android (1.0.39), so drivers should be up to date. I tried 3 diffrent usb cables, and nothing. I cannot get the popup for acception cause tablet cannot even load, so how can get into adb. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Eversmile23

Aug 15, 2014
Rourkela
I have a peculiar situation. My device shows 'device unauthorized' when connected to my laptop. To add to my woe, I have forgotten the screenlock password of my android device, as a result I can not access the 'settings' in my device. So, I can not apply 'revoke USb debugging authorization' and try adding it again. Can I do this in any other way?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the new secure adb I had an issue:

(I was transferring data to a new harddrive and in the process:)

I deleted my /home/me/.android/ (somewhere in \Users\me\AppData\ on windows) folder because I thought I didnt need anything in it.

Then I wanted to pull some files from my CM10.1 nightly device per adb.
    It said: "error: device offline" when trying to access it.

Now, the computers adb key was gone with the userdata folder of the sdk (the .android folder) and access was denied. But somehow whatever manages the authorization questions thought that this computer was still trusted and did not ask for a new authorization.

To fix that I did the following:

delete the computers adb key: rm /data/misc/adb/adb_key on device

(I have no idea if in case of multiple authorized computers the additional keys are in a new line of the file or if they are in new files. I have only 1 computer.)

stop all adb processes "killall adb" in linuxoids and "taskkill /IM adb.exe" in windows or simply the taskmanager in both.

restart the phone

toggle usb debugging off and on

connect

use adb

click authorize

works

In my case it was even nastier because my sdk userdata folder ~/.android (on small ssd) was a symlink to /data/home/me/.android (on a huge drive for the emulators, android-sources and stuff)
    and the symlink pointed to a nonexisting path which prevented saving any sdk settings.
    On deleting the symlink or recreating the folder it should work.
    FIX adb offline problem

When you connect a device running Android 4.2.2 or higher to your computer, the system shows a dialog asking whether to accept an RSA key that allows debugging through this computer.
    This security mechanism protects user devices because it ensures that USB debugging and other adb commands cannot be executed unless you're able to unlock the device and acknowledge the dialog.
    This requires that you have adb version 1.0.31 (available with SDK Platform-tools r16.0.1 and higher) in order to debug on a device running Android 4.2.2 or higher.

If you haven't this pop-up mesage in your device, there is the solution :

1) Install SDK in your PC
    It may asks you to install JAVA, if so, do it.

2) make sure that your adb is 1.0.31 or upper, to know the version, tape : adb version in your commande window
    ------------------------------------

After that you every thing will be OK
    this solved my problem

problem was i had ran this command

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb

which installed Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.29 in /usr/bin

the system was using this by default even tho i added the platform-tools directory with the newest adb (Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31) to my environment path.

This solved this problem (running old adb) on LinuxMint:

Method 1:

sudo apt-get remove android-tools-adb

Method 2: (if the first doesn't work)

unplug device
    adb kill-server
    adb version
    Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.29
    cd to android sdk dir
    cd /home/XXX/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/
    copy new adb to /usr/bin
    sudo cp adb /usr/bin/
    adb version
    Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31
    adb kill-server
    adb devices
    daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    daemon started successfully * List of devices attached
    plug in the device, and on the device dialog about RSA appeared
    accept on device
    adb devices

hope this helps...

credit for this solution goes to CoPLaS @ this URL
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15305725/i-cant-upgrade-from-adb-version-1-0-29
    I've ADB problem in bootloader mode: devices not found, list empty. It works fine with phone in normal mode

I've upgraded to adb .31, upgraded drivers but no solution, BTW fastboot devices corectly displays device

Any help ?

Thanks

as far as I know adb doesn't work in bootloader mode.
    If you give me some Info around the issue, like what you intended to do and if it worked previously, I could help you.