[GUIDE] Fix/Enable 5G and DSS

Search This thread

bemolx

Nov 12, 2013
bemideas.pl
Enable 5G and DSS on OnePlus 8T

As you may or may not know OnePlus didn't add proper changes into EFS configs to allow us use 5G on every network in the world. This guide will help you unlock 5G access and DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) and doesn't require root access until you don't want to access 5G in SA (standalone) mode.

I'm NOT responsible to any damage you make to your phone. There's barely any chance to damage anything, but you've been warned.

Requirements:
  • EngineerMode apk installed on your phone.
  • USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
  • OnePlus drivers installed on your desktop.
  • QPST app installed on your desktop.
  • Qualcomm diagnostic drivers.
Downloads:

Instruction #1 - enable 5G:
  1. On your phone, dial *#801# > use EngineerMode > enable Engineer Mode Toggle (ON) and connect your device to your Desktop via USB.
  2. On your Desktop, open Device Manager. You should see two new 'other devices'. Update their drivers by: right click > Update Driver > Browse my computer [...] > Let me pick [...] > All devices > then browse for Qualcom diagnostic drivers you've downloaded & use qcmdm.inf > choose something called 'Android Modem 9018'.
  3. Open QPST. You should see devices in Active Phones and Ports list. If not: Add new port > add two devices shown in the list. Then: Start Clients > QPST EFS Explorer and select SDX55 device. This may take a few seconds.
  4. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman, then copy to a separate folder following files as a backup: carrier_policy.xml, carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01.
  5. Delete those 2 files from the EFS Explorer. Find my corresponding configs and copy them over to the /policyman.
  6. On your phone, disable Engineer Mode Toggle, disconnect from your PC and reboot.
  7. Once booted, dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Set preferred network type to NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA. Now you should have 5G NSA enabled.
* To enable (force) 5G SA, you have to use Network Signal Guru app to change NR5G Mode from NSA to NSA/SA or SA. But this will require root access.

You can make sure everything is working correctly by using CellMapper app and checking 5G Status. RESTRICTED means your plan doesn't allow you to use 5G, NOT_RESTRICTED means you are too far from the cell, try to move closer, CONNECTED means everything is working perfectly. However, this method isn't ideal - every software update or SIM card change you will loose all modifications.

Instruction #2 - enable DSS:

Dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS) provides a very useful migration path from LTE to NR by allowing LTE and NR to share the same carrier.
  1. Follow 1st and 3rd step from Instruction #1.
  2. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman and copy lte_feature_restrictions.xml file to your computer - we're going to edit it, so make a backup somewhere.
  3. Open the file with a text editor of your choice.
You should see a section like this:
XML:
<plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
      228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 262-01 262-06 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-07 204-04 311-480 240-02 238-06 240-01 206-01 204-08 204-12 204-18 204-69 238-01 238-10
</plmn_list>
These are the networks allowed to use DSS. Now you should go to MCC-MNC and find a proper mcc-mnc
codes for your network. Add them to the file as shown above.

Now you should find section looking like this:

XML:
<lte_feature name="NR_DSS">
    <all_of>
      <boolean_test name="carrier:dss_is_enabled" />
      <serving_plmn_in list="dss_plmns" />
    </all_of>
</lte_feature>
And change it to this:
XML:
    <any_of>
    </any_of>
</lte_feature>

All you have to do now is to save the file, copy it over to the /policyman in the EFS Explorer and copy step 6. and 7. from Instruction #1. And that's it!

Remember: OP8T from different regions with support of the same 5G bands would sometimes not work in the NSA mode in your carrier network because of different ENDC combos and different LTE anchors. Check if your device would support your carrier network at cacombos.com.

More on how to properly edit carrier plicy files at MT-TECH Blog. Guide tested on KB2003: Play/P4, KB2007: T-Mobile and KB2005: Verizon.

Special thanks to:

• Mr. Minh Truong
  • Mr. Abdullah Alshehri
  • Evenshop Themobilestore

Last edited:

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
Can you verify the driver model to install in step 2? The lowest number "MDM Diagnostics" model is 9031.
nodiag9018.png
I've found other diagnostic drivers with the "9018" in them, but they don't say MDM.
yesdiag9018.png

bemolx

Nov 12, 2013
bemideas.pl
Can you verify the driver model to install in step 2? The lowest number "MDM Diagnostics" model is 9031.
View attachment 5165055
I've found other diagnostic drivers with the "9018" in them, but they don't say MDM.
View attachment 5165057

You should use qcmdm.inf and then browse for 'Qualcomm Android Modem 9018' (it should be right on top of the list). I will add this to the main post. Sorry, my bad

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
Well I did all these steps and it made no difference for me. I still can't get 5g. I used to get it here and now I don't. I don't know if something changed on my phone or if a tower went down or what. The CellMapper app has zero 5g information in it for me, and I'm not paying $50 for the upgrade for Network Signal Guru to tell me more information. When I forced to 5G, I get absolutely nothing ):

When 5g was working it was only about 10mbps, and LTE is 100mbps, so it makes sense to stick with LTE for now. I was excited to be able to try out DSS though.

If nothing else, thanks for this guide. It was nice to get QPST up and running again. It had been a long time since I used it.

bemolx

Nov 12, 2013
bemideas.pl
Well I did all these steps and it made no difference for me. I still can't get 5g. I used to get it here and now I don't. I don't know if something changed on my phone or if a tower went down or what. The CellMapper app has zero 5g information in it for me, and I'm not paying $50 for the upgrade for Network Signal Guru to tell me more information. When I forced to 5G, I get absolutely nothing ):

When 5g was working it was only about 10mbps, and LTE is 100mbps, so it makes sense to stick with LTE for now. I was excited to be able to try out DSS though.

If nothing else, thanks for this guide. It was nice to get QPST up and running again. It had been a long time since I used it.

I saw you have KB2007 so you must be in the different region. If it got worse (no 5G at all) I suggest sticking to the MT-TECH.FI blog and trying to modify carrier policy files the way Mr Minh did.
The first time I was trying to get 5G working I used many guides with many configs but none of them worked. So I followed his instruction.
It seems like every model may have different configs. I'm sorry it didn't work for you

Last edited:

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
I saw you have KB2007 so you must be in the different region. If it got worse (no 5G at all) I suggest sticking to the MT-TECH.FI blog and trying to modify carrier policy files the way Mr Minh did.
The first time I was trying to get 5G working I used many guides with many configs but none of them worked. So I followed his instruction.
It seems like every model may have different configs. I'm sorry it didn't work for you
Sorry I wasn't clear, your guide didn't make things worse. I stopped receiving 5g at my house a couple weeks ago. I was just hoping your guide would bring it back.

In fact, I drove over to a tower today to test out your configuration. Worked great there!
Screenshot_20201223-104045.jpg

bemolx

Nov 12, 2013
bemideas.pl
Sorry I wasn't clear, your guide didn't make things worse. I stopped receiving 5g at my house a couple weeks ago. I was just hoping your guide would bring it back.

In fact, I drove over to a tower today to test out your configuration. Worked great there!View attachment 5165877

Ah I see. Good to see it's working.
Maybe the carrier operator decided to move the cell away or upgrade it in the near future at you home place if it was such bad at performance. Who knows

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
Maybe the carrier operator decided to move the cell away or upgrade it in the near future at you home place if it was such bad at performance. Who knows
I just flashed back to T-mobile's 011.0.1.3.KB09CB and 5g is back at my house, just only 5mbps lol. I am now suspecting that they changed the modem for 11.0.4.6 so that it would only switch to 5g if it had a stronger signal.

Reactions: lordxcom

bemolx

Nov 12, 2013
bemideas.pl
I just flashed back to T-mobile's 011.0.1.3.KB09CB and 5g is back at my house, just only 5mbps lol. I am now suspecting that they changed the modem for 11.0.4.6 so that it would only switch to 5g if it had a stronger signal.

Can you extract and post here carrier policy files while you're on 11.0.1.3? I'm curious to see how do they look like.

bemolx

Nov 12, 2013
bemideas.pl
I am on tmo using the 8t purchased at a tmo. Do i need this? I am on global rom.

T-Mobile's configs are different than mine, however my configs also work just like @jefffeely posted here.
If you're lacking 5G connectivity you can try either my or jefffeely's configs. It really depends how the carrier has developed the 5G architecture around you.

Nov 2, 2012
Can you explain something for me?
I deleted the whole policyman folder, and there was no difference, the phone functions as if there was no problem at all, so what is going on guys?
even 5G and Volte is working well

z9999xc

Aug 2, 2019
Mod edit - translated by https://translate.google.com:
I tried to extract hydrogen files in China based on your method. I hope these XML can help you improve this operation.
The download address is

I tried to extract nitrogen files in China according to your method. Hope these XML can help you improve this operation. The download address is
我根据你的方法尝试提取了中国地区氢的文件,希望这些XML可以帮助您完善此操作。
下载地址是

我试图根据您的方法在中国提取氮气文件。希望这些XML可以帮助您改进此操作。下载地址是

Attachments

• chinabackup.rar
    12.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
I deleted the whole policyman folder, and there was no difference, the phone functions as if there was no problem at all, so what is going on guys?
Interesting. I would like to know that as well. Was it still gone after reboot?

I also want to know what made you decide to delete the whole folder :LOL:

bemolx

Nov 12, 2013
bemideas.pl

That's kinda strange. I can't really tell what's going on, I wonder if you've rebooted your phone.

我根据你的方法尝试提取了中国地区氢的文件,希望这些XML可以帮助您完善此操作。
下载地址是

我试图根据您的方法在中国提取氮气文件。希望这些XML可以帮助您改进此操作。下载地址是

Thanks for sharing it! I'll review this in the morning.

I can confirm that this guide worked on Verizon in the U.S, at least on the n5 band. However, 5G speeds are still slower for me than 4G. While it may prove more useful in the future, I don't think 5G is mature enough to replace 4G just yet.

It really depends how the 5G is developed at your location. I've tested NR NSA in different parts of a single city and sometimes it's worse than 4G too. As you said - not mature enough yet.

docles

May 5, 2011

As you may or may not know OnePlus didn't add proper changes into EFS configs to allow us use 5G on every network in the world. This guide will help you unlock 5G access and DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) and doesn't require root access until you don't want to access 5G in SA (standalone) mode.

I'm NOT responsible to any damage you make to your phone. There's barely any chance to damage anything, but you've been warned.

Requirements:
Downloads:

2. On your Desktop, open Device Manager. You should see two new 'other devices'. Update their drivers by: right click > Update Driver > Browse my computer [...] > Let me pick [...] > All devices > then browse for Qualcom diagnostic drivers you've downloaded & use qcmdm.inf > choose something called 'Android Modem 9018'.
Hi,

I am stucked in the 2nd step.
I have a KB2003 and I can't update the devices with the driver you provided.
It says that the drivers are not compatible with the device.
I can't go further.

Thanks for your help.

docles

bemolx

Nov 12, 2013
bemideas.pl
Hi,

I am stucked in the 2nd step.
I have a KB2003 and I can't update the devices with the driver you provided.
It says that the drivers are not compatible with the device.
I can't go further.

Thanks for your help.

docles

Have you tried disabling signature verification enforcement?
Are you sure you've enabled file transfer via USB?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements:
    Downloads:

1. On your phone, dial *#801# > use EngineerMode > enable Engineer Mode Toggle (ON) and connect your device to your Desktop via USB.
    3. Open QPST. You should see devices in Active Phones and Ports list. If not: Add new port > add two devices shown in the list. Then: Start Clients > QPST EFS Explorer and select SDX55 device. This may take a few seconds.
    4. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman, then copy to a separate folder following files as a backup: carrier_policy.xml, carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01.
    5. Delete those 2 files from the EFS Explorer. Find my corresponding configs and copy them over to the /policyman.
    6. On your phone, disable Engineer Mode Toggle, disconnect from your PC and reboot.
    7. Once booted, dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Set preferred network type to NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA. Now you should have 5G NSA enabled.
    * To enable (force) 5G SA, you have to use Network Signal Guru app to change NR5G Mode from NSA to NSA/SA or SA. But this will require root access.

You can make sure everything is working correctly by using CellMapper app and checking 5G Status. RESTRICTED means your plan doesn't allow you to use 5G, NOT_RESTRICTED means you are too far from the cell, try to move closer, CONNECTED means everything is working perfectly. However, this method isn't ideal - every software update or SIM card change you will loose all modifications.

Instruction #2 - enable DSS:

Dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS) provides a very useful migration path from LTE to NR by allowing LTE and NR to share the same carrier.
    1. Follow 1st and 3rd step from Instruction #1.
    2. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman and copy lte_feature_restrictions.xml file to your computer - we're going to edit it, so make a backup somewhere.
    3. Open the file with a text editor of your choice.
    You should see a section like this:
    XML:
    <plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
          228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 262-01 262-06 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-07 204-04 311-480 240-02 238-06 240-01 206-01 204-08 204-12 204-18 204-69 238-01 238-10
    </plmn_list>
    These are the networks allowed to use DSS. Now you should go to MCC-MNC and find a proper mcc-mnc
    codes for your network. Add them to the file as shown above.

Now you should find section looking like this:

XML:
        <all_of>
        </all_of>
    </lte_feature>
    And change it to this:
    XML:
        <any_of>
        </any_of>
    </lte_feature>

All you have to do now is to save the file, copy it over to the /policyman in the EFS Explorer and copy step 6. and 7. from Instruction #1. And that's it!

Remember: OP8T from different regions with support of the same 5G bands would sometimes not work in the NSA mode in your carrier network because of different ENDC combos and different LTE anchors. Check if your device would support your carrier network at cacombos.com.

More on how to properly edit carrier plicy files at MT-TECH Blog. Guide tested on KB2003: Play/P4, KB2007: T-Mobile and KB2005: Verizon.

Special thanks to:

• Mr. Minh Truong
    • Mr. Abdullah Alshehri
    • Evenshop Themobilestore
    I can confirm that this guide worked on Verizon in the U.S, at least on the n5 band. However, 5G speeds are still slower for me than 4G. While it may prove more useful in the future, I don't think 5G is mature enough to replace 4G just yet.
    You should use qcmdm.inf and then browse for 'Qualcomm Android Modem 9018' (it should be right on top of the list). I will add this to the main post. Sorry, my bad
    That fixed it, thanks!
    Can you extract and post here carrier policy files while you're on 11.0.1.3? I'm curious to see how do they look like.
    Here's the whole folder. I had already pulled it to compare lol.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone