[GUIDE] Fix/Enable 5G and DSS

Search This thread

ddish

Dec 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I hope this helps anyone else in the same situation as I was. I am not rooted and wanted to have standalone 5G.
I went into the phone information settings *#*#4636#*#* changed the preferred network type to NR/LTE
then I went to preferred network type in the sim card settings and it showed 5G/LTE. As long as you leave it that way it will not change after a re-boot. If you change that setting to 2G/3G/4G/5G again you will not be able to select 5G/LTE again unless you repeat the setting in the phone information.
Now my cell mapper shows I am connected to 5G.

Reactions: equi_design

braschlosan

Sep 11, 2009
I hope this helps anyone else in the same situation as I was. I am not rooted and wanted to have standalone 5G.
I went into the phone information settings *#*#4636#*#* changed the preferred network type to NR/LTE
then I went to preferred network type in the sim card settings and it showed 5G/LTE. As long as you leave it that way it will not change after a re-boot. If you change that setting to 2G/3G/4G/5G again you will not be able to select 5G/LTE again unless you repeat the setting in the phone information.
Now my cell mapper shows I am connected to 5G.
on my unmodified Tmobile OP8T I connect to 5G NR with the following settings
Screenshot_20210130-072354.jpgScreenshot_20210130-072659.jpg

Reactions: equi_design

ddish

Dec 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I tried this setting as well but all I get is 3G/4G/5G i dont have these options you have. I wish i could get them back.
Anyone know what can be modified to get the setting in the image above?

braschlosan

Sep 11, 2009
  1. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman, then copy to a separate folder following files as a backup: carrier_policy.xml, carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01.
  2. Delete those 2 files from the EFS Explorer. Find my corresponding configs and copy them over to the /policyman.
My phone doesn't have both of those files. Should I ignore the second?
Untitled.png

Oswald Boelcke

Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Staff member
Mod edit - translated by https://translate.google.com:
I tried to extract hydrogen files in China based on your method. I hope these XML can help you improve this operation.
The download address is

I tried to extract nitrogen files in China according to your method. Hope these XML can help you improve this operation. The download address is
我根据你的方法尝试提取了中国地区氢的文件,希望这些XML可以帮助您完善此操作。
下载地址是

我试图根据您的方法在中国提取氮气文件。希望这些XML可以帮助您改进此操作。下载地址是

Please always use (at least additionally) the English language! [請始終(至少額外)使用英語!]

XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.

braschlosan

Sep 11, 2009
if anyone is using the global rom on a Tmobile 8t+ i would like you to try my modified files. They are the original Tmobile settings with the blocked lte bands enabled, dss enabled and 5g allowed on all networks.

i am successfully using them on the Tmobile rom and get standalone 5g but haven't received my unlock token yet so i can't test with the global rom.

ddish

Dec 6, 2007
Los Angeles
if anyone is using the global rom on a Tmobile 8t+ i would like you to try my modified files. They are the original Tmobile settings with the blocked lte bands enabled, dss enabled and 5g allowed on all networks.

i am successfully using them on the Tmobile rom and get standalone 5g but haven't received my unlock token yet so i can't test with the global rom.
I would like to try your settings. Can you send them to me?

Jan 24, 2021

if you have the files let me know 5g is a bit iffy on the global verison

RainGater

Aug 5, 2013
@bemolx, Thank you dor the detailed guide and appreciate the effort.

I have an Indian 8T (KB2001) and currently using it on T-Mobile. I get 5G but I think that most of the 5G bands are disabled as it's an Indian device. If I go through your procedure, would it enable all the 5G bands for US in T-Mobile network? TIA.

RainGater

Aug 5, 2013

Can you please post your T-Mobile's modified carrier_policy_orig.xml so that I will try it on my 8T indian device and see whether I get all the 5G bands in US? TIA.

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi
@bemolx, Thank you dor the detailed guide and appreciate the effort.

I have an Indian 8T (KB2001) and currently using it on T-Mobile. I get 5G but I think that most of the 5G bands are disabled as it's an Indian device. If I go through your procedure, would it enable all the 5G bands for US in T-Mobile network? TIA.

You can't access with Indian 8T to US 5G-networks because I'm sure it doesn't have US 5G bands and combinations defined to modem firmware. There is no way change it.

Changing/Editing Carrier Policy doesn't help. Or yes you will see 5G icon maybe if you can get enabled but your phone not able connect to 5G.

z9999xc

Aug 2, 2019
Please always use (at least additionally) the English language! [請始終(至少額外)使用英語!]

In fact, the first half of my reply is to use the English translated by Google Translate. And the lower part of Chinese is the original text before translation

SalsuwaidiS

Jun 8, 2016
Dubai
I need Help , first time i enable 5G it works but after a few hour not working anymore, i reboot the phone i change the setting *#*#*4636*#*#*, not working again, i try to add profile again also same problem from first time it works then never works again, i contact service for 5G they say my plan support 5g any idea, or could some help.

i have oneplus 8t model KB2000

docles

May 5, 2011
I need Help , first time i enable 5G it works but after a few hour not working anymore, i reboot the phone i change the setting *#*#*4636*#*#*, not working again, i try to add profile again also same problem from first time it works then never works again, i contact service for 5G they say my plan support 5g any idea, or could some help.

i have oneplus 8t model KB2000
Same
5G DSS did work following those instructions.
Then upgraded to latest version (11.0.7.10 on KB2003) and went back to 4g only.
I tried to activate again 5G dss and all dial codes are uneffective now.

I did install the oneplus dialer following the https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...th-call-recording-in-oneplus-8t-nord.4189165/
The dialercode is working now with the OnePlus dialer and not the Google one

Last edited:

fates13

Dec 20, 2014
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8T
Fixed my issue. Had a debloater module for Oneplus enabled in magisk, disabled it and worked.

I attached the config for Verizon cause it's way different than the ones that OP uploaded and it was a ***** to track down the info on how to configure it properly for Verizon.

Attachments

• Verizon 8T 5G Config.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Falcon_73

Apr 7, 2017
My phone doesn't have both of those files. Should I ignore the second?
View attachment 5204309

Same here. What does the Subscription01 do? It wasn't in there on my stock /policyman folder.

I have a OP8Pro IN2025 and the same thing happens with this as did with my old OP8 IN2017 I think it was. All traces of 5G/NR are gone from the phone with the policies I replaced.

Is there something that explains the .xml policies so I can try and get it working?

I am looking for SA NR 5G on an Unlocked OP8Pro (US) and so far I haven't been able to get any SA on this phone or the prior one.

Thanks,

Edit: Well, this answers one mystery: "carrier_polixy.xml_Subscription01 is for second SIM"

Source

I'm not using the 2nd SIM slot right now, so I can ignore it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enable 5G and DSS on OnePlus 8T

As you may or may not know OnePlus didn't add proper changes into EFS configs to allow us use 5G on every network in the world. This guide will help you unlock 5G access and DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) and doesn't require root access until you don't want to access 5G in SA (standalone) mode.

I'm NOT responsible to any damage you make to your phone. There's barely any chance to damage anything, but you've been warned.

Requirements:
    • EngineerMode apk installed on your phone.
    • USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
    • OnePlus drivers installed on your desktop.
    • QPST app installed on your desktop.
    • Qualcomm diagnostic drivers.
    Downloads:

Instruction #1 - enable 5G:
    1. On your phone, dial *#801# > use EngineerMode > enable Engineer Mode Toggle (ON) and connect your device to your Desktop via USB.
    2. On your Desktop, open Device Manager. You should see two new 'other devices'. Update their drivers by: right click > Update Driver > Browse my computer [...] > Let me pick [...] > All devices > then browse for Qualcom diagnostic drivers you've downloaded & use qcmdm.inf > choose something called 'Android Modem 9018'.
    3. Open QPST. You should see devices in Active Phones and Ports list. If not: Add new port > add two devices shown in the list. Then: Start Clients > QPST EFS Explorer and select SDX55 device. This may take a few seconds.
    4. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman, then copy to a separate folder following files as a backup: carrier_policy.xml, carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01.
    5. Delete those 2 files from the EFS Explorer. Find my corresponding configs and copy them over to the /policyman.
    6. On your phone, disable Engineer Mode Toggle, disconnect from your PC and reboot.
    7. Once booted, dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Set preferred network type to NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA. Now you should have 5G NSA enabled.
    * To enable (force) 5G SA, you have to use Network Signal Guru app to change NR5G Mode from NSA to NSA/SA or SA. But this will require root access.

You can make sure everything is working correctly by using CellMapper app and checking 5G Status. RESTRICTED means your plan doesn't allow you to use 5G, NOT_RESTRICTED means you are too far from the cell, try to move closer, CONNECTED means everything is working perfectly. However, this method isn't ideal - every software update or SIM card change you will loose all modifications.

Instruction #2 - enable DSS:

Dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS) provides a very useful migration path from LTE to NR by allowing LTE and NR to share the same carrier.
    1. Follow 1st and 3rd step from Instruction #1.
    2. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman and copy lte_feature_restrictions.xml file to your computer - we're going to edit it, so make a backup somewhere.
    3. Open the file with a text editor of your choice.
    You should see a section like this:
    XML:
    <plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
          228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 262-01 262-06 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-07 204-04 311-480 240-02 238-06 240-01 206-01 204-08 204-12 204-18 204-69 238-01 238-10
    </plmn_list>
    These are the networks allowed to use DSS. Now you should go to MCC-MNC and find a proper mcc-mnc
    codes for your network. Add them to the file as shown above.

Now you should find section looking like this:

XML:
    <lte_feature name="NR_DSS">
        <all_of>
          <boolean_test name="carrier:dss_is_enabled" />
          <serving_plmn_in list="dss_plmns" />
        </all_of>
    </lte_feature>
    And change it to this:
    XML:
    <lte_feature name="NR_DSS">
        <any_of>
          <boolean_test name="carrier:dss_is_enabled" />
          <serving_plmn_in list="dss_plmns" />
        </any_of>
    </lte_feature>

All you have to do now is to save the file, copy it over to the /policyman in the EFS Explorer and copy step 6. and 7. from Instruction #1. And that's it!

Remember: OP8T from different regions with support of the same 5G bands would sometimes not work in the NSA mode in your carrier network because of different ENDC combos and different LTE anchors. Check if your device would support your carrier network at cacombos.com.

More on how to properly edit carrier plicy files at MT-TECH Blog. Guide tested on KB2003: Play/P4, KB2007: T-Mobile and KB2005: Verizon.

Special thanks to:

• Mr. Minh Truong
    • Mr. Abdullah Alshehri
    • Evenshop Themobilestore
    I can confirm that this guide worked on Verizon in the U.S, at least on the n5 band. However, 5G speeds are still slower for me than 4G. While it may prove more useful in the future, I don't think 5G is mature enough to replace 4G just yet.
    You should use qcmdm.inf and then browse for 'Qualcomm Android Modem 9018' (it should be right on top of the list). I will add this to the main post. Sorry, my bad
    That fixed it, thanks!
    Ah I see. Good to see it's working.
    Maybe the carrier operator decided to move the cell away or upgrade it in the near future at you home place if it was such bad at performance. Who knows
    I just flashed back to T-mobile's 011.0.1.3.KB09CB and 5g is back at my house, just only 5mbps lol. I am now suspecting that they changed the modem for 11.0.4.6 so that it would only switch to 5g if it had a stronger signal.
    Can you extract and post here carrier policy files while you're on 11.0.1.3? I'm curious to see how do they look like.
    Here's the whole folder. I had already pulled it to compare lol.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone