[GUIDE] Fix/Enable 5G and DSS

Search This thread

xen423

Mar 27, 2009
OnePlus 8T
I wonder if we can enable N77 for Verizon somehow? The X55 modem seems to be qualified. I saw some site mentioning generic_band_restrictions with no details. Some of the com.oem.rftoolkit.* apps seem to indicate potential but I am only dreaming at the moment. Obviously proceed with caution.

Last edited:

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
I wonder if we can enable N77 for Verizon somehow? The X55 modem seems to be qualified. I saw some site mentioning generic_band_restrictions with no details. Some of the com.oem.rftoolkit.* apps seem to indicate potential but I am only dreaming at the moment. Obviously proceed with caution.
I can say nothing about Verizon. But you can enable some additional features on X55 mode.

Reactions: xen423

dlhxr

May 26, 2011
New York City
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3
I can say nothing about Verizon. But you can enable some additional features on X55 mode.

Hi, I am using a T mobile oneplus 8. After converting to global rom by fastboot (unfortunately we don't have a msmdownloadtool to convert), the phone can recognize the second sim card, but showing no signal. I bet there's somewhere to control the availability of the second sim/ dual sim support. Can you help? Thanks!

Reactions: PavelPerm

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Hi, I am using a T mobile oneplus 8. After converting to global rom by fastboot (unfortunately we don't have a msmdownloadtool to convert), the phone can recognize the second sim card, but showing no signal. I bet there's somewhere to control the availability of the second sim/ dual sim support. Can you help? Thanks!
Check carrier settings in Android. If everything is good, try to dial *#*#4636#*#* and look up information about sim cards status.

jcsww

Was the device SIM unlocked before converting?

Mr Hassan

Feb 14, 2016
Enable 5G and DSS on OnePlus 8T

As you may or may not know OnePlus didn't add proper changes into EFS configs to allow us use 5G on every network in the world. This guide will help you unlock 5G access and DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) and doesn't require root access until you don't want to access 5G in SA (standalone) mode.

I'm NOT responsible to any damage you make to your phone. There's barely any chance to damage anything, but you've been warned.

Requirements:
  • EngineerMode apk installed on your phone.
  • USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
  • OnePlus drivers installed on your desktop.
  • QPST app installed on your desktop.
  • Qualcomm diagnostic drivers.
Downloads:

Instruction #1 - enable 5G:
  1. On your phone, dial *#801# > use EngineerMode > enable Engineer Mode Toggle (ON) and connect your device to your Desktop via USB.
  2. On your Desktop, open Device Manager. You should see two new 'other devices'. Update their drivers by: right click > Update Driver > Browse my computer [...] > Let me pick [...] > All devices > then browse for Qualcom diagnostic drivers you've downloaded & use qcmdm.inf > choose something called 'Android Modem 9018'.
  3. Open QPST. You should see devices in Active Phones and Ports list. If not: Add new port > add two devices shown in the list. Then: Start Clients > QPST EFS Explorer and select SDX55 device. This may take a few seconds.
  4. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman, then copy to a separate folder following files as a backup: carrier_policy.xml, carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01.
  5. Delete those 2 files from the EFS Explorer. Find my corresponding configs and copy them over to the /policyman.
  6. On your phone, disable Engineer Mode Toggle, disconnect from your PC and reboot.
  7. Once booted, dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Set preferred network type to NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA. Now you should have 5G NSA enabled.
* To enable (force) 5G SA, you have to use Network Signal Guru app to change NR5G Mode from NSA to NSA/SA or SA. But this will require root access.

You can make sure everything is working correctly by using CellMapper app and checking 5G Status. RESTRICTED means your plan doesn't allow you to use 5G, NOT_RESTRICTED means you are too far from the cell, try to move closer, CONNECTED means everything is working perfectly. However, this method isn't ideal - every software update or SIM card change you will loose all modifications.

Instruction #2 - enable DSS:

Dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS) provides a very useful migration path from LTE to NR by allowing LTE and NR to share the same carrier.
  1. Follow 1st and 3rd step from Instruction #1.
  2. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman and copy lte_feature_restrictions.xml file to your computer - we're going to edit it, so make a backup somewhere.
  3. Open the file with a text editor of your choice.
You should see a section like this:
XML:
<plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
      228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 262-01 262-06 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-07 204-04 311-480 240-02 238-06 240-01 206-01 204-08 204-12 204-18 204-69 238-01 238-10
</plmn_list>
These are the networks allowed to use DSS. Now you should go to MCC-MNC and find a proper mcc-mnc
codes for your network. Add them to the file as shown above.

Now you should find section looking like this:

XML:
<lte_feature name="NR_DSS">
    <all_of>
      <boolean_test name="carrier:dss_is_enabled" />
      <serving_plmn_in list="dss_plmns" />
    </all_of>
</lte_feature>
And change it to this:
XML:
    <any_of>
    </any_of>
</lte_feature>

All you have to do now is to save the file, copy it over to the /policyman in the EFS Explorer and copy step 6. and 7. from Instruction #1. And that's it!

Remember: OP8T from different regions with support of the same 5G bands would sometimes not work in the NSA mode in your carrier network because of different ENDC combos and different LTE anchors. Check if your device would support your carrier network at cacombos.com.

More on how to properly edit carrier plicy files at MT-TECH Blog. Guide tested on KB2003: Play/P4, KB2007: T-Mobile and KB2005: Verizon.

Special thanks to:

• Mr. Minh Truong
  • Mr. Abdullah Alshehri
  • Evenshop Themobilestore
Bro thanks alot for good guide but is there anyway to enable dsds slot in t rom?

PavelPerm

Dec 19, 2011
Check carrier settings in Android. If everything is good, try to dial *#*#4636#*#* and look up information about sim cards status.
on the second slot for SIM cards we see see this data.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-220803.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-220803.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20211129-220914.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-220914.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20211129-220924.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-220924.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: dlhxr

sakun-ice

Nov 10, 2012
Quick response, I might write a proper post with more detailled steps but I don't have the time to do so at the moment.

I assume you already have Qualcomm drivers at hand, QPST installed in your computer, ADB ready and debugging option enabled in your phone. So I followed these steps (the problem of not being able to use Engineer Mode apk is solved with steps 1 to 3, but don't forget to apply step 6 when you finish):

1. adb reboot ftm
2. adb shell
3. setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
4. Go to Control Panel – Device Manager .. you will see two unknown device.
Right click on the first one – Update Driver – browse my computer drivers - Let me pick form a list of available drivers- click on Have Disk ..- show all devices browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other unknown Driver. Choose 9018 for both unknown drivers.
5. Change carrier_policy XML files with QPST
6. adb reboot
When you OTA update the LineageOS ROM, is this configuration lost?

jcsww

This guide is to enable 5G and DSS. The question is if it is officially enabled in OOS12 and it is not necessary to carry out this procedure.
No. No changes to the 5G support on OOS12 OB1. If you use this method to get 5G working for you on OOS11. You will not have 5G working if you update to OB1 because this method does not work in OOS 12 OB1.

sakun-ice

Nov 10, 2012
No. No changes to the 5G support on OOS12 OB1. If you use this method to get 5G working for you on OOS11. You will not have 5G working if you update to OB1 because this method does not work in OOS 12 OB1.
It's very strange. A while ago I read of someone who tried a public beta of ColorOS in OP8 in January and 5G and DSS were activated. I assumed that it would be activated in the global version.

jcsww

It's very strange. A while ago I read of someone who tried a public beta of ColorOS in OP8 in January and 5G and DSS were activated. I assumed that it would be activated in the global version.
Color OS and Oxygen OS are still separate, at least in name and a few things. Color OS is specifically for the Chinese model and market. Oxygen OS is for the EU, IN, NA/Global, and T-Mobile versions.

-sandro-

May 6, 2011
Pescara, Italy
vimeo.com
Does anyone know why I'm getting this? I can't delete or write to /policyman
My phone is rooted, could this affect it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-28 232730.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-28 232730.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 38

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    which country are you in ? I am in Belgium but no success
    Spain.
    Enable 5G and DSS on OnePlus 8T

As you may or may not know OnePlus didn't add proper changes into EFS configs to allow us use 5G on every network in the world. This guide will help you unlock 5G access and DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) and doesn't require root access until you don't want to access 5G in SA (standalone) mode.

I'm NOT responsible to any damage you make to your phone. There's barely any chance to damage anything, but you've been warned.

Requirements:
    • EngineerMode apk installed on your phone.
    • USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
    • OnePlus drivers installed on your desktop.
    • QPST app installed on your desktop.
    • Qualcomm diagnostic drivers.
    Downloads:

Instruction #1 - enable 5G:
    1. On your phone, dial *#801# > use EngineerMode > enable Engineer Mode Toggle (ON) and connect your device to your Desktop via USB.
    2. On your Desktop, open Device Manager. You should see two new 'other devices'. Update their drivers by: right click > Update Driver > Browse my computer [...] > Let me pick [...] > All devices > then browse for Qualcom diagnostic drivers you've downloaded & use qcmdm.inf > choose something called 'Android Modem 9018'.
    3. Open QPST. You should see devices in Active Phones and Ports list. If not: Add new port > add two devices shown in the list. Then: Start Clients > QPST EFS Explorer and select SDX55 device. This may take a few seconds.
    4. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman, then copy to a separate folder following files as a backup: carrier_policy.xml, carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01.
    5. Delete those 2 files from the EFS Explorer. Find my corresponding configs and copy them over to the /policyman.
    6. On your phone, disable Engineer Mode Toggle, disconnect from your PC and reboot.
    7. Once booted, dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Set preferred network type to NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA. Now you should have 5G NSA enabled.
    * To enable (force) 5G SA, you have to use Network Signal Guru app to change NR5G Mode from NSA to NSA/SA or SA. But this will require root access.

You can make sure everything is working correctly by using CellMapper app and checking 5G Status. RESTRICTED means your plan doesn't allow you to use 5G, NOT_RESTRICTED means you are too far from the cell, try to move closer, CONNECTED means everything is working perfectly. However, this method isn't ideal - every software update or SIM card change you will loose all modifications.

Instruction #2 - enable DSS:

Dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS) provides a very useful migration path from LTE to NR by allowing LTE and NR to share the same carrier.
    1. Follow 1st and 3rd step from Instruction #1.
    2. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman and copy lte_feature_restrictions.xml file to your computer - we're going to edit it, so make a backup somewhere.
    3. Open the file with a text editor of your choice.
    You should see a section like this:
    XML:
    <plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
          228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 262-01 262-06 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-07 204-04 311-480 240-02 238-06 240-01 206-01 204-08 204-12 204-18 204-69 238-01 238-10
    </plmn_list>
    These are the networks allowed to use DSS. Now you should go to MCC-MNC and find a proper mcc-mnc
    codes for your network. Add them to the file as shown above.

Now you should find section looking like this:

XML:
        <all_of>
        </all_of>
    </lte_feature>
    And change it to this:
    XML:
        <any_of>
        </any_of>
    </lte_feature>

All you have to do now is to save the file, copy it over to the /policyman in the EFS Explorer and copy step 6. and 7. from Instruction #1. And that's it!

Remember: OP8T from different regions with support of the same 5G bands would sometimes not work in the NSA mode in your carrier network because of different ENDC combos and different LTE anchors. Check if your device would support your carrier network at cacombos.com.

More on how to properly edit carrier plicy files at MT-TECH Blog. Guide tested on KB2003: Play/P4, KB2007: T-Mobile and KB2005: Verizon.

Special thanks to:

• Mr. Minh Truong
    • Mr. Abdullah Alshehri
    • Evenshop Themobilestore
    Has anyone tested if it is possible to do this on any AOSP custom rom based on Android 12?
    I have managed to do it on Android 12. The steps are similar to those described several pages ago, but there are a few extra steps to be taken. Steps to follow:
    1. adb reboot ftm
    2. Install (in your smartphone) USB Gadget Tool (https://f-droid.org/es/packages/net.tjado.usbgadget/) and check this modes: ( cser.dun.O , diag.diag, diag.diag.mdm , ffs.adb , gsi.dpl , gsi.rmnet , qdss.qdss , qdss.qdss.mdm )
    3. adb shell su setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    4. Disconnect and connect your phone usb cable.
    5. Go to Control Panel – Device Manager. You will see some unknown device. You should look at the so-called "Oneplus 8T", ignore the others.
    Right click on the first "Oneplus 8T" –> Update Driver –> Browse my computer drivers -> Let me pick form a list of available drivers -> Click on I Have Disk -> Show all devices, browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other "Oneplus 8T". Choose 9018 for both unknown "Oneplus 8T"..
    6. Add both ports in QPST Configuration. Only one of them is the one you are going to use. By clicking on EFS Explorer you will know which one it is by seeing X55 Driver in the description.
    7. Change carrier_policy and carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 files
    8. adb reboot

All necessary files: https://www.mediafire.com/file/c59zj43e7d3x1pl/Necessary+Files.zip/file

Thanks to @jimmy123322 and @21prods
    Could you please tell us how you managed to use QPST with LineageOS? I tried to install the EngineerMode apk but it doesn't work and I also can't install those special drivers needed for QPST. Windows always gives me an error message that the driver files are not compatible. Is there a way to access those settings without having to revert back to OOS for its Engineer Mode ?
    Quick response, I might write a proper post with more detailled steps but I don't have the time to do so at the moment.

I assume you already have Qualcomm drivers at hand, QPST installed in your computer, ADB ready and debugging option enabled in your phone. So I followed these steps (the problem of not being able to use Engineer Mode apk is solved with steps 1 to 3, but don't forget to apply step 6 when you finish):

1. adb reboot ftm
    2. adb shell
    Right click on the first one – Update Driver – browse my computer drivers - Let me pick form a list of available drivers- click on Have Disk ..- show all devices browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other unknown Driver. Choose 9018 for both unknown drivers.
    6. adb reboot

1. adb reboot ftm
    2. adb shell
    6. adb reboot

Just found out that using setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb without rebooting into ftm mode is already sufficient. From there on the steps are the same as already mentioned and everything worked.

Thank you very much !
    I can confirm that this guide worked on Verizon in the U.S, at least on the n5 band. However, 5G speeds are still slower for me than 4G. While it may prove more useful in the future, I don't think 5G is mature enough to replace 4G just yet.