[GUIDE] Fix/Enable 5G and DSS

Search This thread

SpyGuy47

Oct 14, 2022
The Qualcomm drivers and config shows a dead link; is there any chance you could re-upload them?

Thank you!

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
Moto E4
OnePlus 8T
The first post should be updated noting the secret code to enable engineering mode is not working anymore on Android 12/OOS12.
and all the hidden menus are there ive accessed i use to use rat 33 open 5g and cbrs modem mod heres pic to prove they work

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-16-10-23-14-95_5d5a8fdec004d8f82e2ce9e098f4b256.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-16-10-23-14-95_5d5a8fdec004d8f82e2ce9e098f4b256.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 94

SpyGuy47

Oct 14, 2022
I'm on an 8T+ with OS11 and I can't get any of the Qualcomm drivers to function. The download link in this thread is dead - the drivers listed on other resources all fail to mesh with the phone.

Also - Windows 10 recognizes it as KB2007 for both and doesn't even say unrecognized device or anything to that effect.

SpyGuy47

Oct 14, 2022
I want to avoid OS12, so I have to sort this out or go back to my Galaxy S20, which I'd rather avoid...

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
I'm on an 8T+ with OS11 and I can't get any of the Qualcomm drivers to function. The download link in this thread is dead - the drivers listed on other resources all fail to mesh with the phone.

Also - Windows 10 recognizes it as KB2007 for both and doesn't even say unrecognized device or anything to that effect.
Check this thread about driver installation.

SpyGuy47

Oct 14, 2022
Check this thread about driver installation.
Thank you for that; one of the steps outlined did not work for me, however I was able to watch a video posted elsewhere (in French, which was fun) and muddled through it.

Now I have QPST open and connected, however one of the files is not present within /policyman

I'm at a loss as to how to continue.

This isn't my forte, so I really appreciate the patience I've received so far.

Edit:
It looks like I missed something; that second file is for dual sim variants of the phone, unless I'm mistaken. I'll skip that step for now.

Attachments

• Carrier policy problem.png
    Carrier policy problem.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

intheb0x

Dec 8, 2007
Milwaukee WI
OnePlus 8
i installed engineer mode app on Android 12 and below it works.13 possible haven't tested heres stuff i used found on xda https://mega.nz/file/zhEGxYhA#M0y47IGDSQhk1ok0JXw_6_G76xPl026FAgQR5aXaOR8 thats from apk mirror the apk. and heres the magisk version dial code *#36446337# works https://mega.nz/file/m5dhwQaY#kdIpiU4Nh9IhHPi-_n792Jj3RyfsL4n2BfiPsmeWB6c
I download it and I was able to get it working, but I can't find that menu that you had that changes the rat and stuff what do you click on to get to that menu?

intheb0x

Dec 8, 2007
Milwaukee WI
OnePlus 8
i installed engineer mode app on Android 12 and below it works.13 possible haven't tested heres stuff i used found on xda https://mega.nz/file/zhEGxYhA#M0y47IGDSQhk1ok0JXw_6_G76xPl026FAgQR5aXaOR8 thats from apk mirror the apk. and heres the magisk version dial code *#36446337# works https://mega.nz/file/m5dhwQaY#kdIpiU4Nh9IhHPi-_n792Jj3RyfsL4n2BfiPsmeWB6c
Can you show me or tell me where that menu is or where to click on to get that menu what option you click on? Did you get that menu when you downloaded GravityBox?

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
Moto E4
OnePlus 8T
no the dialunlocker.bin.zip is magisk dial code unlock. (that way you dont need pc and the oppo unlock secrecy.exe ). the apk is the engineer mode apk, to make dial code work .on 11 just install apk and dial code works 12 you need the magisk zip and apk. all dial codes are in .xml in zip. heres pic of magisk.zip to show where code list is

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-02-18-29-20-89_01c085aa929b1599fddd4ea6d6812c2d.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-02-18-29-20-89_01c085aa929b1599fddd4ea6d6812c2d.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 40

intheb0x

Dec 8, 2007
Milwaukee WI
OnePlus 8
no the dialunlocker.bin.zip is magisk dial code unlock. (that way you dont need pc and the oppo unlock secrecy.exe ). the apk is the engineer mode apk, to make dial code work .on 11 just install apk and dial code works 12 you need the magisk zip and apk. all dial codes are in .xml in zip. heres pic of magisk.zip to show where code list is
I just updated to Android 12 today I have my bootloader unlock bin file and such so I take it I need root in order to do this? I didn't know updating to Android 12 I would lose access to everything as I had access to engineering mode but I didn't have access to those same areas you did like my rat order and such so I went ahead and updated the 12 but now I don't have access anymore so I take it I need to unlock bootloader, root, and flash the magisk zip you included?

Before I updated I had already installed the engineering APK but now when I try to install it it asked me to update it but it cannot update it Will that be an issue going forward?

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
I just updated to Android 12 today I have my bootloader unlock bin file and such so I take it I need root in order to do this? I didn't know updating to Android 12 I would lose access to everything as I had access to engineering mode but I didn't have access to those same areas you did like my rat order and such so I went ahead and updated the 12 but now I don't have access anymore so I take it I need to unlock bootloader, root, and flash the magisk zip you included?

Before I updated I had already installed the engineering APK but now when I try to install it it asked me to update it but it cannot update it Will that be an issue going forward?
On OOS12 engineering mode is hidden.
To access it without root you need PC and manipulations with mac address and oppo unlock secrecy.exe.

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
There is a universal magisk module that activates VoLTE/VoWiFi toggles and enables entering engineering mode (via dialer *#36446337#), where one can enable different carrier profiles and so on.
Tested on OOS12 & OOS13.

Attachments

• VoEnablerOnePlus.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: intheb0x

replica9000

May 31, 2009
* To enable (force) 5G SA, you have to use Network Signal Guru app to change NR5G Mode from NSA to NSA/SA or SA. But this will require root access.
Is there an alternative to this app? If this app can change the setting, there must be something built into Android that can change it. Maybe in the shell with setprop?

Last edited:

replica9000

May 31, 2009
Is there an alternative to this app? If this app can change the setting, there must be something built into Android that can change it. Maybe in the shell with setprop?

So I might have found an alternative, however, I can't test at the moment due to lack of 5G in my area. I found a build.prop option that should force the phone to use NSA+SA mode.
Code:
# For special ro override property 0: not support 1:nsa 2:sa 3: 1+2
ro.vendor.radio.5g=3

Also, can someone with Verizon tell me if they can get 5G SA if they set their network to "NR only"?

In my area, it seems that Verizon has their network using the 77, 260 and 261 bands, but nothing for 5 and 66, and I get limited 5G on band 2. It also seems the status bar icon lies about 5G whenever I'm using bands 2,5 and 66, even if it's only LTE.

Edit: Seems in other areas I'm getting 5G NSA over band 66. I found my phone was choosing LTE bands that had slightly better signal strength despite having much slower speeds. When I force my phone to use bands 2,5 and 66, speeds are much better, whether 5G NSA or only LTE.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enable 5G and DSS on OnePlus 8T

As you may or may not know OnePlus didn't add proper changes into EFS configs to allow us use 5G on every network in the world. This guide will help you unlock 5G access and DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) and doesn't require root access until you don't want to access 5G in SA (standalone) mode.

I'm NOT responsible to any damage you make to your phone. There's barely any chance to damage anything, but you've been warned.

Requirements:
    • EngineerMode apk installed on your phone.
    • USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
    • OnePlus drivers installed on your desktop.
    • QPST app installed on your desktop.
    • Qualcomm diagnostic drivers.
    Downloads:

Instruction #1 - enable 5G:
    1. On your phone, dial *#801# > use EngineerMode > enable Engineer Mode Toggle (ON) and connect your device to your Desktop via USB.
    2. On your Desktop, open Device Manager. You should see two new 'other devices'. Update their drivers by: right click > Update Driver > Browse my computer [...] > Let me pick [...] > All devices > then browse for Qualcom diagnostic drivers you've downloaded & use qcmdm.inf > choose something called 'Android Modem 9018'.
    3. Open QPST. You should see devices in Active Phones and Ports list. If not: Add new port > add two devices shown in the list. Then: Start Clients > QPST EFS Explorer and select SDX55 device. This may take a few seconds.
    4. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman, then copy to a separate folder following files as a backup: carrier_policy.xml, carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01.
    5. Delete those 2 files from the EFS Explorer. Find my corresponding configs and copy them over to the /policyman.
    6. On your phone, disable Engineer Mode Toggle, disconnect from your PC and reboot.
    7. Once booted, dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Set preferred network type to NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA. Now you should have 5G NSA enabled.
    * To enable (force) 5G SA, you have to use Network Signal Guru app to change NR5G Mode from NSA to NSA/SA or SA. But this will require root access.

You can make sure everything is working correctly by using CellMapper app and checking 5G Status. RESTRICTED means your plan doesn't allow you to use 5G, NOT_RESTRICTED means you are too far from the cell, try to move closer, CONNECTED means everything is working perfectly. However, this method isn't ideal - every software update or SIM card change you will loose all modifications.

Instruction #2 - enable DSS:

Dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS) provides a very useful migration path from LTE to NR by allowing LTE and NR to share the same carrier.
    1. Follow 1st and 3rd step from Instruction #1.
    2. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman and copy lte_feature_restrictions.xml file to your computer - we're going to edit it, so make a backup somewhere.
    3. Open the file with a text editor of your choice.
    You should see a section like this:
    XML:
    <plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
          228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 262-01 262-06 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-07 204-04 311-480 240-02 238-06 240-01 206-01 204-08 204-12 204-18 204-69 238-01 238-10
    </plmn_list>
    These are the networks allowed to use DSS. Now you should go to MCC-MNC and find a proper mcc-mnc
    codes for your network. Add them to the file as shown above.

Now you should find section looking like this:

XML:
    <lte_feature name="NR_DSS">
        <all_of>
          <boolean_test name="carrier:dss_is_enabled" />
          <serving_plmn_in list="dss_plmns" />
        </all_of>
    </lte_feature>
    And change it to this:
    XML:
    <lte_feature name="NR_DSS">
        <any_of>
          <boolean_test name="carrier:dss_is_enabled" />
          <serving_plmn_in list="dss_plmns" />
        </any_of>
    </lte_feature>

All you have to do now is to save the file, copy it over to the /policyman in the EFS Explorer and copy step 6. and 7. from Instruction #1. And that's it!

Remember: OP8T from different regions with support of the same 5G bands would sometimes not work in the NSA mode in your carrier network because of different ENDC combos and different LTE anchors. Check if your device would support your carrier network at cacombos.com.

More on how to properly edit carrier plicy files at MT-TECH Blog. Guide tested on KB2003: Play/P4, KB2007: T-Mobile and KB2005: Verizon.

Special thanks to:

• Mr. Minh Truong
    • Mr. Abdullah Alshehri
    • Evenshop Themobilestore
    Has anyone tested if it is possible to do this on any AOSP custom rom based on Android 12?
    I have managed to do it on Android 12. The steps are similar to those described several pages ago, but there are a few extra steps to be taken. Steps to follow:
    1. adb reboot ftm
    2. Install (in your smartphone) USB Gadget Tool (https://f-droid.org/es/packages/net.tjado.usbgadget/) and check this modes: ( cser.dun.O , diag.diag, diag.diag.mdm , ffs.adb , gsi.dpl , gsi.rmnet , qdss.qdss , qdss.qdss.mdm )
    3. adb shell su setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    4. Disconnect and connect your phone usb cable.
    5. Go to Control Panel – Device Manager. You will see some unknown device. You should look at the so-called "Oneplus 8T", ignore the others.
    Right click on the first "Oneplus 8T" –> Update Driver –> Browse my computer drivers -> Let me pick form a list of available drivers -> Click on I Have Disk -> Show all devices, browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other "Oneplus 8T". Choose 9018 for both unknown "Oneplus 8T"..
    6. Add both ports in QPST Configuration. Only one of them is the one you are going to use. By clicking on EFS Explorer you will know which one it is by seeing X55 Driver in the description.
    7. Change carrier_policy and carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 files
    8. adb reboot

All necessary files: https://www.mediafire.com/file/c59zj43e7d3x1pl/Necessary+Files.zip/file

Thanks to @jimmy123322 and @21prods
    Could you please tell us how you managed to use QPST with LineageOS? I tried to install the EngineerMode apk but it doesn't work and I also can't install those special drivers needed for QPST. Windows always gives me an error message that the driver files are not compatible. Is there a way to access those settings without having to revert back to OOS for its Engineer Mode ?
    Quick response, I might write a proper post with more detailled steps but I don't have the time to do so at the moment.

I assume you already have Qualcomm drivers at hand, QPST installed in your computer, ADB ready and debugging option enabled in your phone. So I followed these steps (the problem of not being able to use Engineer Mode apk is solved with steps 1 to 3, but don't forget to apply step 6 when you finish):

1. adb reboot ftm
    2. adb shell
    3. setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    4. Go to Control Panel – Device Manager .. you will see two unknown device.
    Right click on the first one – Update Driver – browse my computer drivers - Let me pick form a list of available drivers- click on Have Disk ..- show all devices browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other unknown Driver. Choose 9018 for both unknown drivers.
    5. Change carrier_policy XML files with QPST
    6. adb reboot
    Quick response, I might write a proper post with more detailled steps but I don't have the time to do so at the moment.

I assume you already have Qualcomm drivers at hand, QPST installed in your computer, ADB ready and debugging option enabled in your phone. So I followed these steps (the problem of not being able to use Engineer Mode apk is solved with steps 1 to 3, but don't forget to apply step 6 when you finish):

1. adb reboot ftm
    2. adb shell
    3. setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    4. Go to Control Panel – Device Manager .. you will see two unknown device.
    Right click on the first one – Update Driver – browse my computer drivers - Let me pick form a list of available drivers- click on Have Disk ..- show all devices browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other unknown Driver. Choose 9018 for both unknown drivers.
    5. Change carrier_policy XML files with QPST
    6. adb reboot

Just found out that using setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb without rebooting into ftm mode is already sufficient. From there on the steps are the same as already mentioned and everything worked.

Thank you very much !
    I can confirm that this guide worked on Verizon in the U.S, at least on the n5 band. However, 5G speeds are still slower for me than 4G. While it may prove more useful in the future, I don't think 5G is mature enough to replace 4G just yet.