[GUIDE] Fix/Enable 5G and DSS

Search This thread

doomsquad99

Apr 19, 2021
In regards to using this fix on Verizon, does anyone know if I need to have a 5G SIM? The Verizon 5G won't activate on my OnePlus 8T unlocked.

kanpol

Apr 12, 2013
if anyone is using the global rom on a Tmobile 8t+ i would like you to try my modified files. They are the original Tmobile settings with the blocked lte bands enabled, dss enabled and 5g allowed on all networks.

i am successfully using them on the Tmobile rom and get standalone 5g but haven't received my unlock token yet so i can't test with the global rom.
I have the tmo 8t 5g and switched to global rom, can you please send me your file, so I can try it out, thx

Reactions: amplatfus

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
Fixed my issue. Had a debloater module for Oneplus enabled in magisk, disabled it and worked.

I attached the config for Verizon cause it's way different than the ones that OP uploaded and it was a ***** to track down the info on how to configure it properly for Verizon.
Thanks for this (and OP). Worked perfectly on my wife's unlocked KB2005 8T. Using a standard Verizon "4G" sim that's years old from her original Pixel XL. Note the status indicator top right in the picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-124932.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-124932.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 424

Nikos69

Apr 20, 2009
OnePlus 8T
I'm coming from a Canadian provider (Bell) that uses the n66 band using kb2005. After applying the changes to enable 5g I did get the 5G symbol in the notifications and ran some speed tests, these speed tests resulted in lower speeds than on LTE alone. After moving around the neighborhood using cell mapper the 5G state was "Connected" however the speeds remained similar to LTE speeds.

Is this expected or am I too far away from a tower? I did check online and the area I'm in is 5G.

A few things to note also, when I used network signal guru to force the preferred 5g status (nr5g mode) I was not able to find this option to change to NSA/SA not sure if this is also expected?

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
5G is a protocol. It does not change the laws of physics. N66 only has the bandwidth that it has been licensed to. Although 5G can combine spectrum, allow more devices on the same spectrum better than 4G and is optimized by 20% theoretical, it won't create bandwidth where there is none. As things get built out, service may improve. You've future proof a bit. Most carriers likely do not yet support SA.

Nikos69

Apr 20, 2009
OnePlus 8T
5G is a protocol. It does not change the laws of physics. N66 only has the bandwidth that it has been licensed to. Although 5G can combine spectrum, allow more devices on the same spectrum better than 4G and is optimized by 20% theoretical, it won't create bandwidth where there is none. As things get built out, service may improve. You've future proof a bit. Most carriers likely do not yet support SA.
Thanks for the quick response, and this makes sense given my experience so far with the enabled 5G. I think it's a matter of time once the infrastructure gets built out more around my area.

kanpol

Apr 12, 2013
when using network signal guru I get this message on "forcing and control features" it says driver not working or unknown error and then under events and signaling, they are both blank screens. Has anyone else got this message and if so were you able to fix it, thx

BreenyBaby

Apr 11, 2016
I bought the OnePlus 7 Pro GM 1917 thinking that it has 5g and this would be a good thing, I could keep using the same phone for years. I don't do much with the phone. Call and text, a little web browsing, music in the car, an occasional game so as long as it can connect I'm good. Then I notice it never connects to 5G, ever. It was one of very few 5g capable devices when I got it, to be fair. Maybe they didn't have information needed to make it work, but it seems like a dirty trick nonetheless. If this works I will be grateful, even if it doesn't I applaud you for the noble effort.

Zuub

Jun 5, 2021
UAE
OnePlus 8
I followed the guide completely and have started to see the 5G icon, but every time it connects the whole mobile network on my Oneplus disconnects..

I know the network supports it since cellmapper shows me 5g connected (albeit for a second or two) and status as un-restricted

Anyone else having this issue or know how I can debug?

P.s I'm using Etisalat that matches the n78 5g band offering of my device

hoho9043

Apr 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Mod edit - translated by https://translate.google.com:
I tried to extract hydrogen files in China based on your method. I hope these XML can help you improve this operation.
The download address is

I tried to extract nitrogen files in China according to your method. Hope these XML can help you improve this operation. The download address is
我根据你的方法尝试提取了中国地区氢的文件,希望这些XML可以帮助您完善此操作。
下载地址是

我试图根据您的方法在中国提取氮气文件。希望这些XML可以帮助您改进此操作。下载地址是

Hello

In case of you can, would you send me the newest policyman backup?
-------------------
我这边尝试了一下。
美版的8T用了之后还是用不了联通5G。
欧版8P用了之后用不了移动5G。。。

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
I followed the guide completely and have started to see the 5G icon, but every time it connects the whole mobile network on my Oneplus disconnects..

I know the network supports it since cellmapper shows me 5g connected (albeit for a second or two) and status as un-restricted

Anyone else having this issue or know how I can debug?

P.s I'm using Etisalat that matches the n78 5g band offering of my device
It means carrier_policy.xml installed is not compliant with your mobile operator.
Try another carrier_policy.xml file to check if it works or not.

nickyzweb

Jun 19, 2011
Sofia
I works, but partially. After reboot it is back to 4G. I noted the following - in the service menu - after every reboot you have to activate again "NR/LTE/..." mode, then the 5G works. After reboot it reverts to the standard LTE setting. The "preferred network type" in phone settings is shown as "2G/3G4G/5G (Automatic)", but this selection is not available in the selection list itself?!
Phone model KB2003, with OS 11.0.8.13.KB05BA, Operator - Telenor Bulgaria.
Any suggestions for a permanent solution (surviving a reboot) or how to enable as well VoLTE?

nujackk

Jun 16, 2008
Kent
I'm trying to understand what this does for me? Ihave kb2007 on t-mobiles network. It gets 5g but not always the best. Not understanding the difference between DSS and SA? And your statement of not needing root until no longer wanting to use SA?

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
I works, but partially. After reboot it is back to 4G. I noted the following - in the service menu - after every reboot you have to activate again "NR/LTE/..." mode, then the 5G works. After reboot it reverts to the standard LTE setting. The "preferred network type" in phone settings is shown as "2G/3G4G/5G (Automatic)", but this selection is not available in the selection list itself?!
Phone model KB2003, with OS 11.0.8.13.KB05BA, Operator - Telenor Bulgaria.
Any suggestions for a permanent solution (surviving a reboot) or how to enable as well VoLTE?
Install attached files.

After that dial *#800# in stock dialer, choose «engineering mode» -> oneplus_logkit -> «Function Switch» tick «VoLTE switch», «VoWifi switch» and «VT switch».
In cellular settings of your sim card(s) enable VoLTE and VoWIFI.
Reboot device.
oneplus+Logkit.jpgFunction+Switch.jpgVoLTE+and+VoWiFi+and+VT.jpg

Attachments

• EngineeringMode.apk
    19.6 MB · Views: 157
  • OEMLogKit_1.0-1.apk
    947.4 KB · Views: 84

amplatfus

Sep 26, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Install attached files.

After that dial *#800# in stock dialer, choose «engineering mode» -> oneplus_logkit -> «Function Switch» tick «VoLTE switch», «VoWifi switch» and «VT switch».
In cellular settings of your sim card(s) enable VoLTE and VoWIFI.
Reboot device.
View attachment 5359707View attachment 5359709View attachment 5359711
Hi,

Many thanks. In my case 5G is persistent after reboot, but offline until I switch between APN: (default) to (custom) and back to (default). Where custom can be anything. I tried to create new APN like default but this is somehow limited on OOS.
Please, if there is a solution for this too, could you please share it to make some other like me happy? :)

Thank you in advance,
amplatfus

foggy69

Oct 9, 2008
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have the engineering mode apk installed on my phone, by every time I dial *#801# nothing happens.
I have tried uninstalling Magisk, and any root apps I have on the phone to see if that is the issue, but the same thing happens.
Any ideas how I am meant to get this to work.

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Hi,

Many thanks. In my case 5G is persistent after reboot, but offline until I switch between APN: (default) to (custom) and back to (default). Where custom can be anything. I tried to create new APN like default but this is somehow limited on OOS.
Please, if there is a solution for this too, could you please share it to make some other like me happy? :)

Thank you in advance,
amplatfus
It also depends on what carrier profile is activated on your device. Maybe the wrong one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enable 5G and DSS on OnePlus 8T

As you may or may not know OnePlus didn't add proper changes into EFS configs to allow us use 5G on every network in the world. This guide will help you unlock 5G access and DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) and doesn't require root access until you don't want to access 5G in SA (standalone) mode.

I'm NOT responsible to any damage you make to your phone. There's barely any chance to damage anything, but you've been warned.

Requirements:
    • EngineerMode apk installed on your phone.
    • USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
    • OnePlus drivers installed on your desktop.
    • QPST app installed on your desktop.
    • Qualcomm diagnostic drivers.
    Downloads:

Instruction #1 - enable 5G:
    1. On your phone, dial *#801# > use EngineerMode > enable Engineer Mode Toggle (ON) and connect your device to your Desktop via USB.
    2. On your Desktop, open Device Manager. You should see two new 'other devices'. Update their drivers by: right click > Update Driver > Browse my computer [...] > Let me pick [...] > All devices > then browse for Qualcom diagnostic drivers you've downloaded & use qcmdm.inf > choose something called 'Android Modem 9018'.
    3. Open QPST. You should see devices in Active Phones and Ports list. If not: Add new port > add two devices shown in the list. Then: Start Clients > QPST EFS Explorer and select SDX55 device. This may take a few seconds.
    4. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman, then copy to a separate folder following files as a backup: carrier_policy.xml, carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01.
    5. Delete those 2 files from the EFS Explorer. Find my corresponding configs and copy them over to the /policyman.
    6. On your phone, disable Engineer Mode Toggle, disconnect from your PC and reboot.
    7. Once booted, dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Set preferred network type to NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA. Now you should have 5G NSA enabled.
    * To enable (force) 5G SA, you have to use Network Signal Guru app to change NR5G Mode from NSA to NSA/SA or SA. But this will require root access.

You can make sure everything is working correctly by using CellMapper app and checking 5G Status. RESTRICTED means your plan doesn't allow you to use 5G, NOT_RESTRICTED means you are too far from the cell, try to move closer, CONNECTED means everything is working perfectly. However, this method isn't ideal - every software update or SIM card change you will loose all modifications.

Instruction #2 - enable DSS:

Dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS) provides a very useful migration path from LTE to NR by allowing LTE and NR to share the same carrier.
    1. Follow 1st and 3rd step from Instruction #1.
    2. Once you see EFS Explorer go to /policyman and copy lte_feature_restrictions.xml file to your computer - we're going to edit it, so make a backup somewhere.
    3. Open the file with a text editor of your choice.
    You should see a section like this:
    XML:
    <plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
          228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 262-01 262-06 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-07 204-04 311-480 240-02 238-06 240-01 206-01 204-08 204-12 204-18 204-69 238-01 238-10
    </plmn_list>
    These are the networks allowed to use DSS. Now you should go to MCC-MNC and find a proper mcc-mnc
    codes for your network. Add them to the file as shown above.

Now you should find section looking like this:

XML:
    <lte_feature name="NR_DSS">
        <all_of>
          <boolean_test name="carrier:dss_is_enabled" />
          <serving_plmn_in list="dss_plmns" />
        </all_of>
    </lte_feature>
    And change it to this:
    XML:
    <lte_feature name="NR_DSS">
        <any_of>
          <boolean_test name="carrier:dss_is_enabled" />
          <serving_plmn_in list="dss_plmns" />
        </any_of>
    </lte_feature>

All you have to do now is to save the file, copy it over to the /policyman in the EFS Explorer and copy step 6. and 7. from Instruction #1. And that's it!

Remember: OP8T from different regions with support of the same 5G bands would sometimes not work in the NSA mode in your carrier network because of different ENDC combos and different LTE anchors. Check if your device would support your carrier network at cacombos.com.

More on how to properly edit carrier plicy files at MT-TECH Blog. Guide tested on KB2003: Play/P4, KB2007: T-Mobile and KB2005: Verizon.

Special thanks to:

• Mr. Minh Truong
    • Mr. Abdullah Alshehri
    • Evenshop Themobilestore
    Has anyone tested if it is possible to do this on any AOSP custom rom based on Android 12?
    I have managed to do it on Android 12. The steps are similar to those described several pages ago, but there are a few extra steps to be taken. Steps to follow:
    1. adb reboot ftm
    2. Install (in your smartphone) USB Gadget Tool (https://f-droid.org/es/packages/net.tjado.usbgadget/) and check this modes: ( cser.dun.O , diag.diag, diag.diag.mdm , ffs.adb , gsi.dpl , gsi.rmnet , qdss.qdss , qdss.qdss.mdm )
    3. adb shell su setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    4. Disconnect and connect your phone usb cable.
    5. Go to Control Panel – Device Manager. You will see some unknown device. You should look at the so-called "Oneplus 8T", ignore the others.
    Right click on the first "Oneplus 8T" –> Update Driver –> Browse my computer drivers -> Let me pick form a list of available drivers -> Click on I Have Disk -> Show all devices, browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other "Oneplus 8T". Choose 9018 for both unknown "Oneplus 8T"..
    6. Add both ports in QPST Configuration. Only one of them is the one you are going to use. By clicking on EFS Explorer you will know which one it is by seeing X55 Driver in the description.
    7. Change carrier_policy and carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 files
    8. adb reboot

All necessary files: https://www.mediafire.com/file/c59zj43e7d3x1pl/Necessary+Files.zip/file

Thanks to @jimmy123322 and @21prods
    Could you please tell us how you managed to use QPST with LineageOS? I tried to install the EngineerMode apk but it doesn't work and I also can't install those special drivers needed for QPST. Windows always gives me an error message that the driver files are not compatible. Is there a way to access those settings without having to revert back to OOS for its Engineer Mode ?
    Quick response, I might write a proper post with more detailled steps but I don't have the time to do so at the moment.

I assume you already have Qualcomm drivers at hand, QPST installed in your computer, ADB ready and debugging option enabled in your phone. So I followed these steps (the problem of not being able to use Engineer Mode apk is solved with steps 1 to 3, but don't forget to apply step 6 when you finish):

1. adb reboot ftm
    2. adb shell
    3. setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    4. Go to Control Panel – Device Manager .. you will see two unknown device.
    Right click on the first one – Update Driver – browse my computer drivers - Let me pick form a list of available drivers- click on Have Disk ..- show all devices browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other unknown Driver. Choose 9018 for both unknown drivers.
    5. Change carrier_policy XML files with QPST
    6. adb reboot
    Quick response, I might write a proper post with more detailled steps but I don't have the time to do so at the moment.

I assume you already have Qualcomm drivers at hand, QPST installed in your computer, ADB ready and debugging option enabled in your phone. So I followed these steps (the problem of not being able to use Engineer Mode apk is solved with steps 1 to 3, but don't forget to apply step 6 when you finish):

1. adb reboot ftm
    2. adb shell
    3. setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    4. Go to Control Panel – Device Manager .. you will see two unknown device.
    Right click on the first one – Update Driver – browse my computer drivers - Let me pick form a list of available drivers- click on Have Disk ..- show all devices browse then go to the Qualcomm Drivers that you download earlier. Then do the same to the other unknown Driver. Choose 9018 for both unknown drivers.
    5. Change carrier_policy XML files with QPST
    6. adb reboot

Just found out that using setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb without rebooting into ftm mode is already sufficient. From there on the steps are the same as already mentioned and everything worked.

Thank you very much !
    I can confirm that this guide worked on Verizon in the U.S, at least on the n5 band. However, 5G speeds are still slower for me than 4G. While it may prove more useful in the future, I don't think 5G is mature enough to replace 4G just yet.