• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[Guide] Fix for Nexus 6P Bootloop of death | 8/22 - Android O Working

Vermanucci

Jul 24, 2017
Kingston
Tad bit confused here.
So did my flash work?
With regards to heating
- After heating do i reflash?
- Or will heating boot the phone up and do i then flash a rom?
- Or will heating simply fix the loop now that ive flashed all the files from the gude
If the flash completed without error then yes it did work but there is a hardware problem which the heating may or may not resolve, so far there have been mixed results.
I've seen where it works on custom roms but I recommend you start fresh with the factory 7.1.2 rom.

Heating should fix the loop and allow you to access recovery/twrp. From what i've seen on the devices we got working, if you cant get into recovery the boot loop wont stop. If you get into recovery/twrp and it still boot loops then you may need to redo the flash process step by step.

heshanh

Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne
If the flash completed without error then yes it did work but there is a hardware problem which the heating may or may not resolve, so far there have been mixed results.
I've seen where it works on custom roms but I recommend you start fresh with the factory 7.1.2 rom.

Heating should fix the loop and allow you to access recovery/twrp. From what i've seen on the devices we got working, if you cant get into recovery the boot loop wont stop. If you get into recovery/twrp and it still boot loops then you may need to redo the flash process step by step.
Thank you :)

I guess its a no go for me. I heated it by covering the rest but the space between the f-sensor and the camera and holding the phone over a stove. It was pretty hot too hot to even hold in the had but still going in to the loop

Vermanucci

Jul 24, 2017
Kingston
Thank you :)

I guess its a no go for me. I heated it by covering the rest but the space between the f-sensor and the camera and holding the phone over a stove. It was pretty hot too hot to even hold in the had but still going in to the loop
Woh, stove. Find a friend with a heat gun or a blow dryer.

Last edited:

godmuzguit1

Jul 28, 2017
It's alive!

Hello,

At first, I thought it was not working until I chose "BP TOOLS" in the boot loader options (at this point, I was in a boot loop and stuck, so I was trying anything). My phone just booted up! Was it a coincidence? Maybe, but it's now alive. If someone gets its phone fixed with this "method", please let the others know.

Another detail: before that, I heated it up a little with a hair dryer and maybe that's the real explanation, but it was still boot looping after heating it and it had cooled down when I found the BP TOOLS option. Since it's fixed, I rebooted it a couple of times and it seems to be working great. I've been struggling with this fix for 3 hours until now so don't give up if it does not seem to work. Maybe the CPU has to be at a certain temperature, who knows..?

Thanks!

Vermanucci

Jul 24, 2017
Kingston
congrats

Hello,

At first, I thought it was not working until I chose "BP TOOLS" in the boot loader options (at this point, I was in a boot loop and stuck, so I was trying anything). My phone just booted up! Was it a coincidence? Maybe, but it's now alive. If someone gets its phone fixed with this "method", please let the others know.

Another detail: before that, I heated it up a little with a hair dryer and maybe that's the real explanation, but it was still boot looping after heating it and it had cooled down when I found the BP TOOLS option. Since it's fixed, I rebooted it a couple of times and it seems to be working great. I've been struggling with this fix for 3 hours until now so don't give up if it does not seem to work. Maybe the CPU has to be at a certain temperature, who knows..?

Thanks!
Probably the heat and cool process, it doesn't appear to be an exact science but its good that you never gave up.

BP = Baseband Processor. "BP-Tools mode".
ref:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2121442
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1313566

Reactions: godmuzguit1

Hard Yakka

Jul 29, 2017
Phone went into bootloop yesterday. No OEM unlock available.

Used a hairdryer for 5 mins this morning to heat it up. Phone restarted. Battery then showed as 9% so can't be sure whether heat or low battery was the key.

Have now enabled OEM unlock but yet to apply fixes because the phone is now charging (over 10%) and has rebooted normally several times. Fingers crossed.

Still, appreciate the fix and know where to come if the phone goes back to bootloop....

ahsengah

Jun 25, 2010
Melbourne
Hey Guys, which version/build of android do you need to be running on for this to work? I can't remember the exact version but I was running Pure Nexus ROM before it died. I tried flashing the stuff from the original post, but to no avail, it is still looping.

Any ideas? Cheers!

darkriff

Sep 3, 2012
Sydney
OMG!! This is like magic!!

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Hey Guys, which version/build of android do you need to be running on for this to work? I can't remember the exact version but I was running Pure Nexus ROM before it died. I tried flashing the stuff from the original post, but to no avail, it is still looping.

Any ideas? Cheers!
I just did it with the last 7.1.2 that is listed in the google webpage and worked inmediatly.

Reactions: ahsengah

ahsengah

Jun 25, 2010
Melbourne
OMG!! This is like magic!!

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

I just did it with the last 7.1.2 that is listed in the google webpage and worked inmediatly.
Thanks! Did you just flash the latest for the 6P from google's page and then followed the instructions on the page?

https://developers.google.com/android/images#instructions

Then once that installed, you ran the steps from the OP?

Cheers! :)

darkriff

Sep 3, 2012
Sydney
Reactions: ahsengah

mattrb

Jan 15, 2010
5% charge and heatgun worked on the ebay phone I purchased. I had to ask the seller for his username/password to Factory Reset Protection unlock the phone but he gave it to me.

ZooBaAr

Apr 30, 2011
Venus
I have always been able to get into TWRP but BLOD . I couldn't back up or install, got all kinds of red fail txt but This???
This is Genius!! TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY.
I copied all files ( PN, Beans gapps, core4 , & Kernel ) to phone and flashed from there, TWRP4 went fastboot first.
It's a bit cranky in use but it booted up quick and im just going to test it out this weekend.
Magisk is fine and working
Only CDN get warranty 6P btw.
On the Franco kernel, I had purchased his updater app but this 4core kernel really has everything stripped out am I right?
Wow, just Thanks a ton !
Zo0

XCnathan32

May 30, 2013
Texas
Update: Just found out that the kernel is setting foreground tasks to only run on CPU 0, I would assume this is because that foreground tasks only ran on BIG cores, but since the kernel can't access them, it pushes all foreground tasks to CPU 0, and only CPU 0, obviously, this would slow device performance down a lot, so I'm working on building a modified init script to fix this. Up to this point, our devices have basically been running on 1 core, so this fix will help performance a ton.

I uploaded a screenshot of core usage on device startup, to show just how bad the problem is. (Keep in mind this is on my device with all the tweaks as well)

Attachments

Reveb

Feb 28, 2011
So I have the same issue, device was locked, heated it, unlocked it, flashed the bootloader. It keeps bootlooping, only now with the warning my device is unlocked. Is there a way to restore it before sending it in?

metallicant

May 13, 2008
Philly
Update: Just found out that the kernel is setting foreground tasks to only run on CPU 0, I would assume this is because that foreground tasks only ran on BIG cores, but since the kernel can't access them, it pushes all foreground tasks to CPU 0, and only CPU 0, obviously, this would slow device performance down a lot, so I'm working on building a modified init script to fix this. Up to this point, our devices have basically been running on 1 core, so this fix will help performance a ton.

I uploaded a screenshot of core usage on device startup, to show just how bad the problem is. (Keep in mind this is on my device with all the tweaks as well)
I can't thank you enough for all of your effort with this since day 1. Thanks again...

Vermanucci

Jul 24, 2017
Kingston
So I have the same issue, device was locked, heated it, unlocked it, flashed the bootloader. It keeps bootlooping, only now with the warning my device is unlocked. Is there a way to restore it before sending it in?
Simply relock the bootloder "fastboot flashing lock" or use nexus root toolkit and do a full factory restore to overwrite changes to all partitions.

Its suggested to anyone who intends to send the device in not to tamper with it. For those with expired warranty, without proof of purchase or other, don't give up and trying this fix on your device.

whats a 'friend' ?
:eek:
:rolleyes: Borrow a hair dryer from a relative or go buy a heat gun, it may come in handy later on, then you can do a service charge to fix other 6Ps or 5Xs whose owners have given up on a fix, afraid to heat their device or dont have anything to heat it up. That way you recover the cost of your heat gun. :highfive:

Remember, bootloader > recovery > bootloop & while its plugged in and looping, safely (dont melt it) heat that sucker til it goes into twrp & the temperature reading in twrp says a little over 50 degrees. If you happen to overheat your device, it wont boot, give it a few minutes to cool down and try booting into recovery.

Last edited:

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007

lol i have the same, here's some info https://android.googlesource.com/device/huawei/angler/+/android-6.0.0_r13/init.angler.rc

tremarley

Jan 16, 2016
How to back up all your data

For those who want to back up their data before you factory reset:

The modified TWRP in the OP is password protected. You are unable to view, edit, install or backup your Nexus Data within TWRP without your password.

If you want to keep your data simply flash the latest TWRP image from https://eu.dl.twrp.me/angler/twrp-3.1.1-0-angler.img and select recovery from your bootloader. You have the choice of selecting BACK UP in TWRP or copying everything from your Internal Storage on your PC. :angel:

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone